PDA

View Full Version : RPM Blast at low tensions

jgtthd
03-25-2011, 01:10 AM
i have been testing new strings over the last weeks and RPM blast is one of my favorites and am thinking no wabout getting a reel but have been put off by people saying it loses tension quickly as i have been using alu rough before which was a nightmare for that.
i have started stringing my rackets at 45lbs, has anyone else used RPM at low tensions and found that the tension stayed longer than at higher?
so far tension loss hasn't been too bad but want to be sure before i get a reel.
anyone elses experiences of RPM at low tensions would be welcome!! :)

EdVin70
03-25-2011, 05:31 AM
i have been testing new strings over the last weeks and RPM blast is one of my favorites and am thinking no wabout getting a reel but have been put off by people saying it loses tension quickly as i have been using alu rough before which was a nightmare for that.
i have started stringing my rackets at 45lbs, has anyone else used RPM at low tensions and found that the tension stayed longer than at higher?
so far tension loss hasn't been too bad but want to be sure before i get a reel.
anyone elses experiences of RPM at low tensions would be welcome!! :)

I've been stringing mine in the mid to high 30's and it does help a little. But we're talking no more than 5 hours of quality before spin and control start to vanish. When its fresh the spin and control is simply awesome at these tensions in my frames.

I am stringing up Genesis twisted razor tonight and will report on that soon. I'll start in the low 40's with the twisted razor.

sadowsk2
03-25-2011, 06:22 AM
I strung my RPM Blast at 56lbs- on the high side, but I'm happy with its performance at that tension. After about 4 hours of playing, I've noticed the spin and control are just starting to degrade... I would assume 5-6 hours is an expected life

Carolina Racquet
03-25-2011, 06:47 AM
IMO when I've compared RPM to other black geared strings, it is very overrated considering the price and playability.

Top choice is Volkl Cyclone, which performs very well at low tension and is just as soft (or softer) and HALF the price.

Second choice is MSV Hex. Same price range as Cyclone, but better playability than RPM.

Listen, before you invest over $100 on a 330m reel, try some other strings. IMO RPM is great if you're a pro and you get it for free and can restring often. For mere mortals, there's better options.

Sardines
03-25-2011, 09:47 AM
I've tried RPM 17 @ 35lbs full and now use it on the mains 35 with Performaxx Whisper Touch 17L @40lbs on the crosses.
Tension life wasn't significantly better @ 35lbs but I liked the spin and bite it had. Once you go that low, that is an adjustment phase with the low volleys especially. Took me about 5 hrs of hitting before I got my drop volleys working properly.

(K)evin
03-25-2011, 06:50 PM
Test out Weiss Cannon Black5Edge some members are saying its a longer tension holding RPM Blast and the best part is it's cheaper