PDA

View Full Version : Lost Yet another Game:(

Indiantwist
06-21-2005, 04:23 AM
We are playin in the doubles finals of this local tournament.
Out of the 4 players i am the better one in terms of shots, strategy and etc. Once again i got a weak partner.

They won the first set (9-7 . No tie breaker rule) and since we could not continue (bad light) we resumed next day. I came out with all guns firing and even before they knew we got the second set 6-1.I took a lot of shots in the 2 set and i was running around a lot.My partner was more of a hinderence than of help (i apologise for saying this but iam just stating a fact). I would set up a point driving both opponents to a corner and was about to unleash a shot into open court. He steps in and either nets or hits out the ball. Worst case he tries to hit towards them or Lob it high so that they can reorganize.

In the 3 set, my serve wasnt working. so i tried playing cool and not make any unforced errors. My opponents started hitting every shot to my partner.
My partner once again didnt realize when to go for shots and when not and pushed ahead. We werre a break up serving at 5-4 and he made 3 unforced errors to allow them break back. We lost the set 7-5 and match.

What could i have done different?. My track record in clutch and tight situations is excellent and unfortunately i couldnt come up with goods when we were up a break at 5-4 in third on my serve.

Thanatos
06-21-2005, 05:02 AM
What could i have done different?. My track record in clutch and tight situations in excellent and unfortunately i couldnt come up with good when we were up a break at 5-4 in third on my serve.

Play singles and not have to rely on a partner.

Carley1986
06-21-2005, 05:20 AM
Here's what I think. When I play double with a weaker partner, I try to cover the whole court, do the attacking and let my partner do the finishing move (like easy volley, smashes, etc.), I don't think you should rely on your partner to do anything special as he's not a very strong player. I think what you did in the second set is right, you attacked everything and wins the point for your team. The mistake you did is playing conservative in the third set. You're the only one that can win the point for your team therefore if you play conservative, the opponent could just hit it to your partner and expect mistake. If it was unforced error that your partner made, you should tell him that he only should hit the ball if he knows he can end the point. So you give him the duty of smashing and the easy balls. Then you can get the rest and attack your opponent. And if you still lost despite these things then well.. the other team is better on the day. So better luck next time :D

goober
06-21-2005, 05:21 AM
I don't understand don't you get to pick your partner for a tournament? I couldn't imagine going into a tourney with some random dude I have never played with. Get a better partner and practice with him alot. Or just play singles like Thanatos said :)

kevhen
06-21-2005, 06:49 AM
Get a different partner or have him cover the doubles alley (tell him poaching is illegal in these parts) or have him play the baseline while you go on the attack. It's tough playing doubles with a weaker partner because smart opponents will hit most every ball at him and then you will get cold and mess up when you do get a ball hit your way. That is why I don't like mixed doubles since the ratings between men and women aren't the same.

Indiantwist
06-21-2005, 07:41 AM
This is not really a pro kinda torunament. In order to make the field even they mix n match . If i had a choice, i would never play doubles as i really am not a doubles player. I still dont know what are my best positions in doubles. In singles it is a diff story. I can give a load of what my partener doesnt like (at a comparable level of play ofcourse).

Carley1986
06-21-2005, 07:46 AM
Well Indiantwist, it doesn't matter how good your volleys are. If your opponent is very weak that they can't defend the baseline there is no point of you going to the net. Your opponent would simply lob you. The smartest thing to do is like single. Make a good attacking approach from the baseline and make your partner finish off the EASY volley if its a hard volley tell your partner to leave it for you to hit. Well, this is from my experience though. Hope this helps

Indiantwist
06-21-2005, 07:55 AM
KevHen.yor are spot on. In the 3 set they hit every ball to him. I got very chances and i was a bit tight (as the score is not in my favour) and couldnt go for shots. I tried playing it easy and kept the ball in middle of court .

They are thinking of putting up a Singles tournament shortly. That should be more fun. If form and predictions hold good , then i really have only 1-2 opponents who have the game to beat me. I should be able to get over them.

CrazyScheiner
06-21-2005, 09:44 AM
ANother flaw of my game when I had one of my team members as a partner. He always wants to go at the net, but I am 6'0", I can jump pretty high and my reactions are amazing yet he... is the complete opposite. That was probably a main flaw of the game as well, because I had weak groundstrokes at the time and he was better.

Rickson
06-21-2005, 09:48 AM
Cut off all the shots at the net. Play 1 up, 1 back, with your partner always playing back. Flatter him and tell him that he has good groundstrokes.