PDA

View Full Version : How much keep wide your legs in 1hBH?

Potito
06-21-2005, 06:14 AM
I've notice that when I keep my legs more wide during the swing of one handed backhand, I succed to bend my knees more naturally, and when I hit the ball seems to me that I'm more steady. I remember that I've heard someone said that improvement of Federer on this shot was due principally to this thing. Any suggestion on this?

Marius_Hancu
06-21-2005, 06:50 AM
you must be in a comfortable position, depending on your flexibility.

flex enough the BACK leg, in order to have its knee quite low to the ground. this will also balance you better.

use lunge exercises in order to strengthen you legs and to determine your optimal distance between the legs.

Rickson
06-21-2005, 07:28 AM
My front knee is bent and I'm on the ball of my back foot with a knee bend, but a wide stance doesn't sound quite right. Maybe it's more of an elongated stance because I think of wide as facing the net and you definitely don't want that on a 1hbh.

Potito
06-21-2005, 07:41 AM
I've found this .gif for explain my idea of wide legs:

http://www.mytennis4u.com/stroksGallery/media/phi-B-BtoF-F.mov

What do you think about it?

Potito
06-21-2005, 07:51 AM
Ehm..... this .mov file! :D

diredesire
06-21-2005, 03:03 PM
it's very rushed, so it's hard to tell (without having to slow-mo it)

I think it really varies. If you have a lot of time to prepare getting low and widening your stance is a very simple way to improve the stability of the foundation (lower body). Lunges as suggested are a very good way to help this. Either way, preparation is VERY key with a one handed backhand. Recognize a backhand ball early, get into position as fast as possible, the shoulder turn is crucial..

TwistServe
06-21-2005, 03:11 PM
I was going to make a joke about females and keeping the legs wide, but hmm that's not appriopiate :)

Kana Himezaki
06-21-2005, 03:27 PM
I was going to make a joke about males and immediate, blunt pickup lines involving keeping the legs wide, but I guess that's appropriate too. :P

Marius' advice was good. Do a lunge. Find out what's comfortable to bend your legs at. A wider base provides easier balance and a good foundation for the stroke, although that doesn't mean they should be as wide as possible. As you said, I find the wider legs help facilitate the knee bend as well.

If you already think keeping the legs helps your backhand, keep it. It's good you discovered this on your own.

bigcattennis
06-21-2005, 04:19 PM
spread your leggs as wide as possible for deeper penetration:)

Exile
06-21-2005, 06:11 PM
make sure you protect your stick with an overgrip too...

(inside joke from the tw questions/comments forum)

panatta
06-24-2005, 02:29 PM
Do not also keep the legs too wide in the serve: it causes high risks of doppio fallo.. :--)

TwistServe
06-24-2005, 02:33 PM
spread your leggs as wide as possible for deeper penetration:)

I like the idea but you're a sicko! :)