PDA

View Full Version : Mikeler's Polys

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

Boricua
04-05-2011, 06:10 AM
Hit with B5E/MCS again tonight. Man that is a nice comfy setup. Full review tomorrow.

Will MCS be durable as a cross in this setup?:)

Boricua
04-05-2011, 06:10 AM
Did you finally try Energy 17?:)

JackB1
04-05-2011, 06:26 AM
You should try Black Venom. One of the softest polys I have every tried.

mikeler
04-05-2011, 06:56 AM
Will MCS be durable as a cross in this setup?:)

Seems to be holding up fairly well so far. There are black marks at the intersections.

Did you finally try Energy 17?:)

I have not tried it again yet.

You should try Black Venom. One of the softest polys I have every tried.

Thanks for the suggestion. What is with all these black polys? I'm not complaining, they look great in my racket.

mikeler
04-05-2011, 07:31 AM
OK, here is my full review of WeissCannon Black5Edge (B5E) 17 Mains/Mantis Comfort Synthetic (MCS) 16 crosses.

Stringing the B5E was no problem. Much easier than the Big Ace and BBO I strung in the past. MCS is one of the easiest strings to work with for me.

Tension it is strung: 48# mains/52# crosses on a lockout machine
Your regular string set up: Mantis Comfort Synthetic 60 pounds full bed
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 20
Power (or lack there of): Low/Medium powered
Feel: Great feel
Tension maintenance: To be determined, good at the 4.5 hour mark
Price: $11.90/set for B5E and $9/set for MCS or $90/reel
Overall comments and feedback: See below

General: Coming from over a year of playing with full multifilament jobs for arm health, this took some getting used to. The first set I played, I was not finding the mark at all. I contemplated putting the racket back in the bag, but I'm glad I did not because I am really digging this setup now. It really helps me blunt the power of the big hitters I face regularly.

Serve/Return of Serve: My first serve is pretty good with this setup. The 2nd serve is getting plenty of kick when my shoulder cooperates. Return of serve is the weakest part of my game and I think where this setup shines for me. Playing a lefty in the wind yesterday I only missed a few returns and I was able to get them back deep.

Strokes: Lots of spin on both wings. Depth control was good. Flattening out balls is fantastic so far. With a number of multis, I just don't have the confidence to flatten out the ball.

Volleys: It's good for volleys but not exceptional.

Touch shots: My drop shots were working well with this setup.

Softness: This setup feels softer to me than a full bed of Babolat Addiction and even Prince Recoil/MCS hybrid. I'm really surprised and impressed with it.

Tension: Perfect for my game. I just got lucky I guess, thanks everyone for the tension recommendations.

Durability: The MCS breaks around the 11 or 12 hour mark. I don't see any signs that this setup will break soon at the 4.5 hour mark. There are black marks on the MCS at the string intersections.

Movement: The mains do slide around some but I think that is probably due to the very smooth MCS crosses. The MCS does not move around as much in this setup as a full bed. I did notice after one hard hit, the top cross moved quite a bit and pulled the tail of the knot in a little bit.

Conclusion: This is an excellent string setup that I'm really enjoying. It's nice to get the benefits of poly without the stiffness. So I'm glad I tried it out and I'm looking forward to trying more soft polys out in the near future.

Boricua
04-05-2011, 07:39 AM
Seems to be holding up fairly well so far. There are black marks at the intersections.

I have not tried it again yet.

Thanks for the suggestion. What is with all these black polys? I'm not complaining, they look great in my racket.

I did not read your post on Energy the first time. What was your impression?:)

mikeler
04-05-2011, 08:18 AM
I did not read your post on Energy the first time. What was your impression?:)

It broke on me after 4 games. Felt a little stiff for me at 50 pounds. Will drop the tension next time and consider using it as a hybrid.

bad_call
04-05-2011, 08:23 AM
mikeler - thought the B5E would spoil you. suggest trying stiffer crosses next time after getting used to how B5E plays.

JackB1
04-05-2011, 08:33 AM
mikeler - thought the B5E would spoil you. suggest trying stiffer crosses next time after getting used to how B5E plays.

^^^^

Not a great idea. He already mentioned tingling in his elbow earlier.
Keep soft crosses in there. I even thought he was pushing things
using poly mains instead of multi/poly setup.

bad_call
04-05-2011, 09:09 AM
^^^^

Not a great idea. He already mentioned tingling in his elbow earlier.
Keep soft crosses in there. I even thought he was pushing things
using poly mains instead of multi/poly setup.

think mikeler can handle it so long as the tension is low. don't think he'd consciously try to injure himself since he's already been down that road...high tension and full poly.

mikeler
04-05-2011, 09:43 AM

I'm seriously impressed with the setup now, so thanks for the string trade. I have quite a few new strings thanks to PVAudio. Seems like most people here also visit his playtest thread, but if not there is a lot of good info in it:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=357999

So now I have Pro Supex synthetic guts (Titan/Spiral Flex) and even some natural gut I can use to hybrid with.

GlenK
04-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Thinking I'll order a set of B5E and try a full bed.

Were you trying this one Black5Edge 1.24??

mikeler
04-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Thinking I'll order a set of B5E and try a full bed.

Were you trying this one Black5Edge 1.24??

Bad_Call can confirm, but I know the site he bought it from and that is the only size they offer today.

bad_call
04-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Bad_Call can confirm, but I know the site he bought it from and that is the only size they offer today.

right...only one size. got a single set from one site then a reel from another.

Boricua
04-05-2011, 10:29 AM
It broke on me after 4 games. Felt a little stiff for me at 50 pounds. Will drop the tension next time and consider using it as a hybrid.

4 ganes and the string breaks is definitely not good...:Wonder if this situation is recurrent and happens often? Someone?)

Boricua
04-05-2011, 10:33 AM

You cab get B5E in Guts and Glory tennis, check their website. They have good service and effective and inexpensive shipping delivery.

Supposedly TW will sell it in the near future, I was told by a representative.

JT_2eighty
04-05-2011, 10:47 AM
4 ganes and the string breaks is definitely not good...:Wonder if this situation is recurrent and happens often? Someone?)

Energy can be known to shear on shanks at higher tensions. Although 50 doesn't seem stiff, it is a playable string in the 40s too.

Plus, any poly can shear on you if you shank it hard. Energy being the softest poly out there makes it that less durable.

My setup is playable for about 5 hours. Which may sound bad, but those first 4-5 hours it's the best playing string I've ever used, fresh or not, by far. I'm no longer testing strings :D

mikeler
04-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Energy can be known to shear on shanks at higher tensions. Although 50 doesn't seem stiff, it is a playable string in the 40s too.

Plus, any poly can shear on you if you shank it hard. Energy being the softest poly out there makes it that less durable.

My setup is playable for about 5 hours. Which may sound bad, but those first 4-5 hours it's the best playing string I've ever used, fresh or not, by far. I'm no longer testing strings :D

I plan to string it somewhere between 40 and 45 next time if I do a full job.

ssgator80
04-05-2011, 11:23 AM
So now I have Pro Supex synthetic guts (Titan/Spiral Flex)

Careful - That set up will be very similar to mine. You know Titan is my cross string.

mikeler
04-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Careful - That set up will be very similar to mine. You know Titan is my cross string.

I thought you were a Spiral Flex guy?

pvaudio
04-05-2011, 12:25 PM
I'm excited to hear about the gut :D

ssgator80
04-05-2011, 12:27 PM
I thought you were a Spiral Flex guy?

I might have had some spiral flex before but I'm on my second reel of Titan.

mikeler
04-05-2011, 12:31 PM
I'm excited to hear about the gut :D

Maybe if I use the cheap gut as a cross, I won't have to worry about snapping it pulling those first few mains.

danno123
04-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Mikeler,
Like you, I've had problems with golfer's elbow. I thought I was over it because I've been exercising my forearms a lot. I use the forearm machine at my health club about 5 times a week. My forearms are in much better shape than before and I didn't think I'd ever have any problems again. Then I played a few times with a racket strung with poly. I liked the experience and really noticed a lot of spin. But as I was reaching to pick something up the other day I felt an almost electric type pain in my forearm and realized I had tennis elbow coming on (and I've never had tennis elbow before). Last night I cut the poly out. It's nice but not worth the possibility of hurting myself. I'm using a hybrid of sheep gut and forten nylon for the next few months.

Keep you eye out for any pains from tennis/golfer's elbow.

TenFanLA
04-05-2011, 12:40 PM

5 hours of high quality play is plenty for a poly. I loved playing with BHBR but had to put it aside for a few weeks as my elbow started hurting. I've been hitting with Energy the last few times and it is indeed a SWEET string. Plenty of pop, feel, control. I can't put as much crazy spin on it as I did with BHBR but there is still ample spin and my opponents say my serve and grounstrokes are faster than before.

I use 3x YT Extreme Pro 11.85 oz (334g) 16x19 which is more powerful than your Radical MP. My level is 4.5-5.0. I hit hard, moderate topspin strokes off both sides. I tried Energy at 45 and it seemed too powerful. So I went to 50 and the control is better, but feels a little stiff. You think 47-48 would be fine or still too loose?

mikeler
04-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Mikeler,
Like you, I've had problems with golfer's elbow. I thought I was over it because I've been exercising my forearms a lot. I use the forearm machine at my health club about 5 times a week. My forearms are in much better shape than before and I didn't think I'd ever have any problems again. Then I played a few times with a racket strung with poly. I liked the experience and really noticed a lot of spin. But as I was reaching to pick something up the other day I felt an almost electric type pain in my forearm and realized I had tennis elbow coming on (and I've never had tennis elbow before). Last night I cut the poly out. It's nice but not worth the possibility of hurting myself. I'm using a hybrid of sheep gut and forten nylon for the next few months.

Keep you eye out for any pains from tennis/golfer's elbow.

I suffered through it for a year trying to play. $500 and 2 months off from tennis finally solved it. Played with a flexible racket and multis for over a year and now I think my arm is ready for soft polys. At the first sign of any pain, I'll cut poly out. My allegiance is to playing not to strings. Thanks for sharing your experience.

5 hours of high quality play is plenty for a poly. I loved playing with BHBR but had to put it aside for a few weeks as my elbow started hurting. I've been hitting with Energy the last few times and it is indeed a SWEET string. Plenty of pop, feel, control. I can't put as much crazy spin on it as I did with BHBR but there is still ample spin and my opponents say my serve and grounstrokes are faster than before.

I use 3x YT Extreme Pro 11.85 oz (334g) 16x19 which is more powerful than your Radical MP. My level is 4.5-5.0. I hit hard, moderate topspin strokes off both sides. I tried Energy at 45 and it seemed too powerful. So I went to 50 and the control is better, but feels a little stiff. You think 47-48 would be fine or still too loose?

Hmm, maybe I should drop to 47 or 48 for PolyStar since 48 seemed to work great with B5E.

GlenK
04-05-2011, 01:17 PM

You cab get B5E in Guts and Glory tennis, check their website. They have good service and effective and inexpensive shipping delivery.

Supposedly TW will sell it in the near future, I was told by a representative.

Found it at Tennis Express too. Thanks for the info guys.. Think I'll order some right now...

GlenK
04-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Just ordered two sets of B5E and two Poly Star Energy 1.25.

Wasn't crazy about the Alu Power and RIP control combo yesterday. Felt great for about an hour, then began to fade quickly. Will give it one more shot tomorrow then moving on with the search...

JT_2eighty
04-05-2011, 01:51 PM

Yea, since mine are lower powered sticks with tighter string pattern, I can get away with 43 (currently trying it at 46, so far so good). My level and style sounds very similar to yours.

I think 47-48 should be solid there. Good luck!

JT_2eighty
04-05-2011, 02:21 PM
OK, here is my full review of WeissCannon Black5Edge (B5E) 17 Mains/Mantis Comfort Synthetic (MCS) 16 crosses.

Stringing the B5E was no problem. Much easier than the Big Ace and BBO I strung in the past. MCS is one of the easiest strings to work with for me.

Softness: This setup feels softer to me than a full bed of Babolat Addiction and even Prince Recoil/MCS hybrid. I'm really surprised and impressed with it.

Tension: Perfect for my game. I just got lucky I guess, thanks everyone for the tension recommendations.

Conclusion: This is an excellent string setup that I'm really enjoying. It's nice to get the benefits of poly without the stiffness. So I'm glad I tried it out and I'm looking forward to trying more soft polys out in the near future.

Thanks for the review. Good to see this was a good tension to compare to coming from 60# multis.

Maybe try it with Multifeel crosses or gut x's next time? Also look forward to your Energy trials (especially if hybrid, could be a good one!) I'd say 45# for you would be great in full job.

And to pre-empt any naysayers about hybrids in a "polys" thread, this is actually useful info for many of us looking for arm-friendly poly setups.

Thanks again, keep it up; hope your arm survives the long run with these!

mikeler
04-06-2011, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the review. Good to see this was a good tension to compare to coming from 60# multis.

Maybe try it with Multifeel crosses or gut x's next time? Also look forward to your Energy trials (especially if hybrid, could be a good one!) I'd say 45# for you would be great in full job.

And to pre-empt any naysayers about hybrids in a "polys" thread, this is actually useful info for many of us looking for arm-friendly poly setups.

Thanks again, keep it up; hope your arm survives the long run with these!

OK, thanks for the tension recommendations. I do have a lockout machine, is that what you are using?

JT_2eighty
04-06-2011, 06:48 AM
Dropweight here

Power Player
04-06-2011, 07:05 AM
only negative on the lockout is that for poly, it is very hard to pull at constant tension. It actually is better to use a dropweight or on poly believe it or not, or something like a Weiss tension head set to pull real slow.

So just keep stringing the poly at 50#s max or so and you should be ok. I am looking to get an automatic dropweight machine with fixed clamps since I am pretty much stringing full poly on all my racquets.

mikeler
04-06-2011, 07:39 AM
only negative on the lockout is that for poly, it is very hard to pull at constant tension. It actually is better to use a dropweight or on poly believe it or not, or something like a Weiss tension head set to pull real slow.

So just keep stringing the poly at 50#s max or so and you should be ok. I am looking to get an automatic dropweight machine with fixed clamps since I am pretty much stringing full poly on all my racquets.

I'm thinking 48 is probably equivalent to JT's 43, so I'll try it there next time.

pvaudio
04-06-2011, 08:04 AM
I wanna hear about the Explosiv!

mikeler
04-06-2011, 08:11 AM
I wanna hear about the Explosiv!

In a hybrid?

pvaudio
04-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Just in general! Compare to the MCS?

mikeler
04-06-2011, 09:42 AM
Just in general! Compare to the MCS?

I'm debating about what to use as my cross strings next. It would be nice to have an apples to apples comparison with my current poly setup. Explosiv is similar enough to MCS that I could probably get a decent comparison without forking out money for more MCS.

Jack the(Forehand)Ripper
04-06-2011, 09:59 AM
The B5E is nothing short of amazing. I've been using a set for well over 100 hours now. JUST last night I noticed a bit of string movement. The strings are still playable! Granted, the playability is not what it was when the strings were fresh, but tension maintenance is fantastic. Also, I string low (44 lbs) so tension loss is lower for me... But if anyone out there is debating whether to try it or not, DO IT.

GlenK
04-06-2011, 10:00 AM
I'm thinking 48 is probably equivalent to JT's 43, so I'll try it there next time.

Let us know how 48 works for you. Only time I went that low was with M2. Groundies felt pretty good but volleys were awful. Very difficult for me to control volley's with tension that low.

mikeler
04-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Let us know how 48 works for you. Only time I went that low was with M2. Groundies felt pretty good but volleys were awful. Very difficult for me to control volley's with tension that low.

Still not sure if I'll go with a full bed of PolyStar again. If I do, I might drop it a little lower than 48. Like a previous poster said, 50 pounds felt stiff to them too. Not terrible, but not quite as soft as I was expecting.

JT_2eighty
04-06-2011, 11:24 AM

Probably also depends on the string and racquet.

43lbs is great for volleys in my 59-flex, 18x20. I play a decent amount of doubles, and my singles game is more all-court than pure b-line.

Open string patterns probably not as controllable that low.

JT_2eighty
04-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Still not sure if I'll go with a full bed of PolyStar again. If I do, I might drop it a little lower than 48. Like a previous poster said, 50 pounds felt stiff to them too. Not terrible, but not quite as soft as I was expecting.

Maybe stick with your poly/mcs hybrids for now? Seem to be handling well, no need to really risk full poly...

mikeler
04-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Maybe stick with your poly/mcs hybrids for now? Seem to be handling well, no need to really risk full poly...

I'll probably use Xplosiv as the cross since it seems fairly soft. Eventually I may graduate to a synthetic gut cross.

mikeler
04-07-2011, 06:15 AM
I tried out my Recoil/MCS hybrid last night in the first set but could not get my game going. So I pulled out the B5E setup and things started clicking. The spin I was getting on my forehand was wreaking havoc on my opponent. Now I really want to cut something out and try out another poly setup this weekend.

mikeler
04-07-2011, 07:11 AM
One last thought, volleys are not that great with the B5E setup. I'm thinking that is due to the softness of the MCS crosses. So now I'm more inclined to try a synthetic gut as a cross. Thoughts anyone?

bad_call
04-07-2011, 07:19 AM
^agreed...a stiffer cross that's also lower powered would control the volleys better.

Boricua
04-10-2011, 09:19 AM
^agreed...a stiffer cross that's also lower powered would control the volleys better.

Hss anyone used Solinco Revolution? How is it?:):)

Power Player
04-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Getting a new stringer here so I have not been able to string up any racquets lately. I say that because the Black Magic is still holding up admirably well in my Prestige. Pretty awesome stuff. I have never liked it before, but it just works great with tight patterns at a lower tension.

mikeler
04-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Got about 8 hours on B5E/MCS. Still plays like it is brand new. That will stay until breakage. My whole game has changed with this setup. Now I am always looking for opportunities to run around my backhand because my forehand is working so well.

I cut out Gutex and put Tornado 17 mains in with WeissCannon Explosiv crosses at 48/52# respectively. Seems very spinny just bouncing balls off the racket. The Tornado is heavily textured. The Explosiv feels like a higher quality version of MCS. Not too bad to string up.

fgs
04-10-2011, 02:54 PM
how exactly is the explosiv a higher quality mcs? what would the difference be?
i haven't yet played with any weiss-cannon strings, but slowly consider to try out a few.

mikeler
04-10-2011, 04:18 PM
how exactly is the explosiv a higher quality mcs? what would the difference be?
i haven't yet played with any weiss-cannon strings, but slowly consider to try out a few.

It just seems thicker and looks/feels like a premium multi. My goal is to test out a few polys with similar crosses. Then dial in different cross strings after that.

fgs
04-10-2011, 04:38 PM
my current "love" is mantis power poly mains at 51lbs/23kg with mantis comfort syn crosses at 49lbs/22kg in my old nblades 106.
i'm swithcing to the mantis 300 though and have employed the same set-up, just gone 1kg/2lbs lower on both mains and crosses.
so far it feels o.k., but i still have to find the proper set-up for the new stick and also find MY balance - i like them slightly headheavy and i'm just playing around with lead, so there's not really much i can say about tensions and strings for the time being. the only thing i can say is that this is an amazing stick - a very stiff one but with complete lack of bad vibes, so it plays surprisingly comfortable and i have no shoulder issues whatsoever.

OldButGame
04-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Getting a new stringer here so I have not been able to string up any racquets lately. I say that because the Black Magic is still holding up admirably well in my Prestige. Pretty awesome stuff. I have never liked it before, but it just works great with tight patterns at a lower tension.
I've found in the last couple years,..for me,..some strings start out undesirable (or the tension they're at),....and then they seem to 'season'over a period of time....maybe the tension going down to a point where it feels great!!!....(at least thats what i attribute it to,...i start 'analyzing',...then i wonder if its me and my game and nothing to do with the strings...but i do believe that about the strings...:neutral:)

fgs
04-10-2011, 05:26 PM
strings lose tension, that surely is nothing new. one way to diminish this tension loss is to prestretch the string - some more advanced machines offer such a possibility. another way to handle this problem (i know it seems brutal but so far i have not damaged any frame in 40+ years and a fellow-tt-member once calculated that my 75kg are less than the stress the big servers put on the stick with each 200+km/h serve they're hitting) is to step a few times on the stringbed after you take the racquette off the machine.

this way the string basically settles in and will have less tension loss in time - as a matter of fact, i almost have no tension loss anymore with my current setup and i have had the same experience with other combinations i liked, kb competition/wilson sensation or luxilon adrenaline/isospeed professional for instance. so, i have an almost constant stringbed behaviour from the first ball to the last in my usual time frame of around 8-10 hitting hours until i usually break the strings, no matter what set-up.

of course you will have strings that play heavenly in one stick and absolute craps in another one. there are strings that blend well with 16mains patterns and are a no go with 18mains patterns, etc. there simply are a lot of variables out there that determine the likes or dislikes of a string.

mikeler
04-11-2011, 06:58 AM
I'll be trying out my Tornado/Explosiv setup tomorrow evening. Supposed to be windy AGAIN! For some reason these weather fronts keep coming in on Tuesdays.

Boricua
04-11-2011, 07:42 AM
Does anyone have impressions on Kirshbaum Spiky Shark and Solinco Revolution?:)

mikeler
04-13-2011, 05:54 AM
Didn't end up playing last night but will test out the new setup tonight.

mikeler
04-14-2011, 05:59 AM
OK, here is my full review of Signum Pro Tornado 17 Mains/Weiss Cannon Explosiv 16 crosses.

Stringing this setup was fairly easy. Explosiv was easy to weave even on the textured Tornado.

Power (or lack there of): Medium powered
Feel: Below average feel
Tension maintenance: Can't comment since I will cut this out.
Price: $14.69/set for Tornado and $13.50/set for Explosiv

General: I could tell early in the warm up this setup was much stiffer than B5E/MCS. The first set I played, my opponent was off his game and I won easily but really only played well for 2 games of the set. I contemplated putting the racket back in the bag, but decided to stick with it.

Serve/Return of Serve: My first serve was good with this setup but not great. The 2nd serve was getting some nice kick. Return of serve was not great, didn't feel like I could really control the ball.

Strokes: Good spin on the forehand but I was having trouble getting my 1 handed backhand to cooperate. I could flatten the ball out nicely on both sides. Depth control was good but I had a number of shots go well past the baseline.

Touch shots: My drop shots were not great with this setup.

Softness: Too stiff for my liking. Since my number 1 concern is my arm health, I'm going to have to cut this playtest short...literally.

Tension: Wish I had gone lower.

Durability: Can't comment since I will cut this out.

Movement: The mains do slide around some but I think that is probably due to the very smooth Explosiv crosses.

Conclusion: I felt like B5E gave me more spin than Tornado. The string has such a strange texture I was expecting more bite out of it. Glad I tried it but I don't think this string is for me.

mikeler
04-14-2011, 06:02 AM
Up next:

1. Signum Pro Hyperion mains/Explosiv crosses
2. Genesis Black Magic mains/Explosiv crosses
3. Polystar Energy mains/Multifeel crosses
4. Dunlop Black Widow mains/Multifeel crosses

barry
04-14-2011, 06:11 AM
Up next:

Just curious, how is your arm holding up switching to poly?

For me, poly plays great, but playing 4 days in a row, killed my wrist (bhbr 16).

mikeler
04-14-2011, 06:21 AM
Just curious, how is your arm holding up switching to poly?

For me, poly plays great, but playing 4 days in a row, killed my wrist (bhbr 16).

Funny you mentioned your wrist. In the warm up, I thought I was feeling something going on in my wrist. After that, I felt nothing.

As for the arm, it is doing fine so far. The tip of my elbow was a little sore this morning but that was probably due more to the fact that it was warm out and I was able to get a full extension on my serve.

GlenK
04-14-2011, 06:32 AM
Elbow problems are always thrilling to figure out. Started having issues with that inside ball on my elbow. After freaking out and thinking it was playing with polys, I figured out it was the way I was resting my arm on the couch while watching TV. Got a pillow to rest my arm on and the elbow issue cleared up within 3 days.

Made me wonder how many times I'd hung body issues on the wrong thing... lol..

JackB1
04-14-2011, 06:34 AM
OK, here is my full review of Signum Pro Tornado 17 Mains/Weiss Cannon Explosiv 16 crosses.

Conclusion: I felt like B5E gave me more spin than Tornado. The string has such a strange texture I was expecting more bite out of it. Glad I tried it but I don't think this string is for me.

If u didn't like the Tornado, you probably won't like Hyperion either. They are VERY similar, with the only major difference being the shape...one is edged and one round.

mikeler
04-14-2011, 06:34 AM
Elbow problems are always thrilling to figure out. Started having issues with that inside ball on my elbow. After freaking out and thinking it was playing with polys, I figured out it was the way I was resting my arm on the couch while watching TV. Got a pillow to rest my arm on and the elbow issue cleared up within 3 days.

Made me wonder how many times I'd hung body issues on the wrong thing... lol..

The guy I'm playing this afternoon plays with polys. He started having elbow problems and found out he was using his elbow as a pillow one night when we woke up.

Boricua
04-14-2011, 07:23 AM
Up next:

Remember Scorpion:)

kslick
04-14-2011, 07:27 AM
The guy I'm playing this afternoon plays with polys. He started having elbow problems and found out he was using his elbow as a pillow one night when we woke up.

Sleeping funny on your arm can wreck havoc on your elbow. I've woken up many times with my elbow feeling stiff because I slept on it or it was twisted in a weird position. A lot of times I sleep with a elbow brace and it really helps.

Boricua
04-14-2011, 07:30 AM

Stringing this setup was fairly easy. Explosiv was easy to weave even on the textured Tornado.

General: I could tell early in the warm up this setup was much stiffer than B5E/MCS. The first set I played, my opponent was off his game and I won easily but really only played well for 2 games of the set. I contemplated putting the racket back in the bag, but decided to stick with it.

Serve/Return of Serve: My first serve was good with this setup but not great. The 2nd serve was getting some nice kick. Return of serve was not great, didn't feel like I could really control the ball.

Strokes: Good spin on the forehand but I was having trouble getting my 1 handed backhand to cooperate. I could flatten the ball out nicely on both sides. Depth control was good but I had a number of shots go well past the baseline.

Softness: Too stiff for my liking. Since my number 1 concern is my arm health, I'm going to have to cut this playtest short...literally.

Movement: The mains do slide around some but I think that is probably due to the very smooth Explosiv crosses.

Seems as is Explosiv could be a good cross though with other less stiff strings, maybe could try it with B5E...:)

Boricua
04-14-2011, 07:33 AM
One last thought, volleys are not that great with the B5E setup. I'm thinking that is due to the softness of the MCS crosses. So now I'm more inclined to try a synthetic gut as a cross. Thoughts anyone?

Could Multifeel, which is a bit crisper multi than MCS, be a better cross for the B5E and thus improve volleys?

Boricua
04-14-2011, 07:35 AM
Funny you mentioned your wrist. In the warm up, I thought I was feeling something going on in my wrist. After that, I felt nothing.

As for the arm, it is doing fine so far. The tip of my elbow was a little sore this morning but that was probably due more to the fact that it was warm out and I was able to get a full extension on my serve.

What racket do you use, is it arm friendly, with low stiffness rating?:)

danno123
04-14-2011, 08:28 AM

Please let us know if you find any soft polys that you like. During the short time I tried poly, I really liked it. The ball was dipping like a ping-pong ball from all the topspin. But I didn't like the twinge of tennis elbow that I got.

mikeler
04-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Could Multifeel, which is a bit crisper multi than MCS, be a better cross for the B5E and thus improve volleys?

Bingo!

What racket do you use, is it arm friendly, with low stiffness rating?:)

Babolat PST Plus (non-GT)

Please let us know if you find any soft polys that you like. During the short time I tried poly, I really liked it. The ball was dipping like a ping-pong ball from all the topspin. But I didn't like the twinge of tennis elbow that I got.

So far B5E has separated itself big time from the other 3 polys I've tried which all feel stiff. My gut is telling me that it will be the winner of the soft polys I plan to try.

Boricua
04-14-2011, 01:21 PM
Bingo!

Babolat PST Plus (non-GT)

So far B5E has separated itself big time from the other 3 polys I've tried which all feel stiff. My gut is telling me that it will be the winner of the soft polys I plan to try.

Well, give us your review on B5E/ Multifeel as soon as you use this setup. Good luck!:)

Ill give it a try also in the future!:)

JT_2eighty
04-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Up next:

Might as well just make it

B5E/Explosiv
B5E/Multifeel
B5E/Energy
:D
??

JT_2eighty
04-14-2011, 02:16 PM

I'd say just stick with b5e. If you had a true "wow" experience, then sometimes it's best to just end the tests (this is what I had with Energy, and so I decided to just delete my long list of strings to try, and focus on locking back into a single setup). Things have only gotten better and better now that I've put the testing madness to rest! :D

Good luck to all the fellow string-a-holics out there!!

TenFanLA
04-14-2011, 04:20 PM
I'd say just stick with b5e. If you had a true "wow" experience, then sometimes it's best to just end the tests (this is what I had with Energy, and so I decided to just delete my long list of strings to try, and focus on locking back into a single setup). Things have only gotten better and better now that I've put the testing madness to rest! :D

Good luck to all the fellow string-a-holics out there!!

I'm with you 100% there JT. There are SO MANY good/great strings out now that it is not practical/necessary to try them all. Personally I've had 2 WOW experiences with BHBR and Energy. BHBR experience was a little "WOWer" than Energy so I'm done testing. But I still have to peek at the boards to see what the fuss is about...kinda like driving by a train wreck.

Matchball
04-14-2011, 04:32 PM

Thank you !! Mine too.

I find it very predictable and does not "impose" on whatever I choose as mains. Comfort is good too.

What do you feel like it's missing the most ?

Matchball
04-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Can any of you guys compare black5edge to Black Magic ?

rodrigoamaral
04-14-2011, 04:46 PM
Can any of you guys compare black5edge to Black Magic ?

Would also be interested in the comparison as i have yet to hit with the black5edge..

mikeler
04-14-2011, 04:51 PM
Might as well just make it

B5E/Explosiv
B5E/Multifeel
B5E/Energy
:D
??

You are a mind reader! I may also try SuperCable Pro as a cross. It is described as a string with "Controlled Power". They stole my term! Also said it was a good string in a hybrid.

The MCS in my setup is about to go. I am 11-0 now in sets with it.

mikeler
04-16-2011, 02:38 PM
Cut out the Tornado setup and put Genesis Black Magic 17 in the mains at 48# and Weiss Cannon Explosiv 16 in the crosses at 52#. Will try and break the B5E setup first tomorrow then test this one out.

bad_call
04-17-2011, 06:37 AM
Cut out the Tornado setup and put Genesis Black Magic 17 in the mains at 48# and Weiss Cannon Explosiv 16 in the crosses at 52#. Will try and break the B5E setup first tomorrow then test this one out.

curious how this one works for you (especially playability life if u like it enough to keep it).

Boricua
04-17-2011, 09:03 AM
You are a mind reader! I may also try SuperCable Pro as a cross. It is described as a string with "Controlled Power". They stole my term! Also said it was a good string in a hybrid.

The MCS in my setup is about to go. I am 11-0 now in sets with it.

I think B5E/Energy could feel stiff for you. Just a guess as Ive used B5E and today used Energy in a full bed.:)

Boricua
04-17-2011, 09:07 AM
I used Polystar Energy in a full bed for the first time. Soft for a poly, controlled power also. Feel was good but did not delight me totally. Ill use it for 3 or 4 more times and see how I keep liking it. I prefer my current setup of Revenge and gut but Ill keep trying polys to compare.:)

GlenK
04-17-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm liking Polystar Energy (1.25) a lot. It may well be the replacement for my supersense. Strung it a bit to tight the first time out, but it's settling in nicely after about 2 hrs of play.

Still have B5E and Scorpion to test, but I'm thinking one of these will turn out to be the one. I like a full bed soft poly. For me, supersense was the perfect string. Now I've actually played a couple great sets with the PS.

mikeler
04-18-2011, 06:55 AM
I'm liking Polystar Energy (1.25) a lot. It may well be the replacement for my supersense. Strung it a bit to tight the first time out, but it's settling in nicely after about 2 hrs of play.

Still have B5E and Scorpion to test, but I'm thinking one of these will turn out to be the one. I like a full bed soft poly. For me, supersense was the perfect string. Now I've actually played a couple great sets with the PS.

What did you string your full bed of PolyStar Energy at? 50 pounds was too tight for me.

mikeler
04-18-2011, 07:00 AM
Played 2 more sets of singles and 1 set of doubles yesterday with B5E/MCS. The MCS was literally hanging on by a thread. I think it may have had just a few games left on it, so I sadly cut it out last night and replaced it with Hyperion mains and Explosiv crosses. Fun fact of the day, Hyperion may refer to a Titan deity or a small moon of the planet Saturn.

The doubles provided a good opportunity to test out volleys with B5E/MCS. I could not hit a drop volley to save my life with this setup but drop shots I can hit. Go figure. When I was blocking volleys back, I was very consistently keeping the ball in the court but I also was not doing tremendous damage either.

I did hit for about 2 minutes with Genesis Black Magic/Explosiv. It felt slightly softer than B5E but I did notice the reduction in spin immediately. Hopefully I can play a set with it tomorrow and a set with the Hyperion setup.

GlenK
04-18-2011, 07:06 AM
What did you string your full bed of PolyStar Energy at? 50 pounds was too tight for me.

I strung it at 58, know it's high but I did it for a reason. Everything I'm trying right now I'm comparing to supersense. It played great at 58.

So I'm getting a read on that first. PS does lose tension quickly but once it got down to the low 50s/high 40s it was perfect. Based on the reports I've seen there will probably be a small window where this string is at it's best.
It seems to be peaking at about 5 hrs. Will see how long this lasts.

Still have B5E and Scorpion on the list, and will try B5E today.

I'm messing around with that Stringway system too, and it's recommending 54/53 for me and my racquet. It all seems to be one big balancing act.

The issue I'm having is volleys. I'm an old school all court player and can only play doubles anymore due to some heart issues. So I'm into the net quite a bit. If I stood on the baseline and hit goundies I'm sure I'd have a whole different perspective on tension.

mikeler
04-18-2011, 09:54 AM
I strung it at 58, know it's high but I did it for a reason. Everything I'm trying right now I'm comparing to supersense. It played great at 58.

So I'm getting a read on that first. PS does lose tension quickly but once it got down to the low 50s/high 40s it was perfect. Based on the reports I've seen there will probably be a small window where this string is at it's best.
It seems to be peaking at about 5 hrs. Will see how long this lasts.

Still have B5E and Scorpion on the list, and will try B5E today.

I'm messing around with that Stringway system too, and it's recommending 54/53 for me and my racquet. It all seems to be one big balancing act.

The issue I'm having is volleys. I'm an old school all court player and can only play doubles anymore due to some heart issues. So I'm into the net quite a bit. If I stood on the baseline and hit goundies I'm sure I'd have a whole different perspective on tension.

I may have to add Scorpion to my list of strings to try.

pepka
04-18-2011, 04:11 PM
Scorpion is a MUST try for every person experimenting with polys. WC polys are outstanding PERIOD:-)

mikeler
04-18-2011, 04:15 PM
Scorpion is a MUST try for every person experimenting with polys. WC polys are outstanding PERIOD:-)

What shines with the other WC polys?

Chace
04-18-2011, 04:52 PM

Hey Mikeler. Thanks for all the time and info that you put into your 2 threads. I would definately say Scorpion is worth a try. The only other WC string I have used is Silverstring. To me Scorpion is softer, provides more spin and pop. I typically string full poly in my POG mids around 54. My go to setups are either genesis spin x or black magic both 17g. I have only used the scorpion for about 2 hours. So far I am liking it more than BM or spin x. To me it is softer yet more lively feeling I feel I get more pace and spin with the scorpion. Seems to hit a heavier ball. If this just isn't a honeymoon phase then I just may switch to Scorpion. Only time will tell.

pepka
04-18-2011, 04:52 PM
I played with Silverstring for few years as my go to string and was very happy with it. Recently tried MB and Turbotwist, both nice co-polys. Can't wait to try B5E. Im liking the price tag in Europe as well:-)

GlenK
04-19-2011, 05:07 AM

I tried the B5E yesterday and followed the Stringway tension recommendation of 54/53. It took about 15 minutes and it settled in perfectly.

I really like it at that tension and played really well. Now that gives me PS and B5E that I like for Supersense replacement.

Next up is Scorpion which I'll probably try next week. Going to finish this week with PS and B5E.

dozu
04-19-2011, 05:43 AM
some limited experience with Scorpion 1.22 -

Frame is DNX10 mid.

Scorpion main + nylon cross @ 47 - not too bad when weather is around 70F, but when it's 50F, the bed feels quite stiff-ish and not quite as nice as a Gut+poly or gut+nylon hybrid..... also, an issue with the upper hoop, ball keeps going short when hit there.

Made some adjustments on the 2nd racket - Scorpion main + nylon cross @ 39, but pulled the top 4 crosses @ 35 only.. now i got something to work with :) played a couple of sets this morning in 55F, seems the depth are comparable to my usually gut hybrid set up, depth control was excellent on flat balls and bh slices, short angle spin shots, as well as deep back court high loopers are both fairly good... next time will try full bed job with Scorpion with similar tension.... feels like I am getting close to a long term set up. :)

bad_call
04-19-2011, 05:48 AM
^ dozu - good to read u thinking outside the box and finding decent results. ;)

mikeler
04-19-2011, 05:54 AM
Hey Mikeler. Thanks for all the time and info that you put into your 2 threads. I would definately say Scorpion is worth a try. The only other WC string I have used is Silverstring. To me Scorpion is softer, provides more spin and pop. I typically string full poly in my POG mids around 54. My go to setups are either genesis spin x or black magic both 17g. I have only used the scorpion for about 2 hours. So far I am liking it more than BM or spin x. To me it is softer yet more lively feeling I feel I get more pace and spin with the scorpion. Seems to hit a heavier ball. If this just isn't a honeymoon phase then I just may switch to Scorpion. Only time will tell.

Keep me posted. Sounds like it is worth buying a pack to try out.

I played with Silverstring for few years as my go to string and was very happy with it. Recently tried MB and Turbotwist, both nice co-polys. Can't wait to try B5E. Im liking the price tag in Europe as well:-)

To say I'm in love with B5E is an understatement. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

I tried the B5E yesterday and followed the Stringway tension recommendation of 54/53. It took about 15 minutes and it settled in perfectly.

I really like it at that tension and played really well. Now that gives me PS and B5E that I like for Supersense replacement.

Next up is Scorpion which I'll probably try next week. Going to finish this week with PS and B5E.

I experienced the same thing, about a 15 minute break in period and then it shines.

some limited experience with Scorpion 1.22 -

Frame is DNX10 mid.

Scorpion main + nylon cross @ 47 - not too bad when weather is around 70F, but when it's 50F, the bed feels quite stiff-ish and not quite as nice as a Gut+poly or gut+nylon hybrid..... also, an issue with the upper hoop, ball keeps going short when hit there.

Made some adjustments on the 2nd racket - Scorpion main + nylon cross @ 39, but pulled the top 4 crosses @ 35 only.. now i got something to work with :) played a couple of sets this morning in 55F, seems the depth are comparable to my usually gut hybrid set up, depth control was excellent on flat balls and bh slices, short angle spin shots, as well as deep back court high loopers are both fairly good... next time will try full bed job with Scorpion with similar tension.... feels like I am getting close to a long term set up. :)

I don't have to worry about cold temps for another 6 months or more. High of 90 most of this week. Great weather for a shoulder on the mend.

dozu
04-19-2011, 06:23 AM
^ dozu - good to read u thinking outside the box and finding decent results. ;)

ha - thx for your recommendations.

'proportional stringing' is something i have been doing for years, but haven't quite figured out the optimal for the 16x19 on the DNX yet..

you know what - I just bot a couple of MGPP.... will take them for a spin in a couple of days :)

mikeler
04-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Heading out to the courts soon. The plan is to play 1 set of singles with Black Magic and 1 set of singles with Hyperion.

NLBwell
04-19-2011, 04:52 PM
you know what - I just bot a couple of MGPP.... will take them for a spin in a couple of days :)

That's what I've got, so I'd be interested in any info on strings you gain.

mikeler
04-20-2011, 10:24 AM
We had our seabreeze collision storms yesterday since it hit 90. Normally don't see those until the end of May. So the downburst winds were in different directions depending on which storm they came from. It rained all around us, but luckily we stayed dry. Tough conditions for sure to evaluate a string.

I started out the first set with Black Magic/Explosiv. It was the softer of the two and had less power. I won that set 6-1. Switched to Hyperion/Explosiv the 2nd set and was up 4-1. I noticed a big power uppage on my serve. The wheels started coming off, so at 4-3 I switched back to Black Magic. The wheels were now rolling down the hill and I was down 5-4. So I went back to Hyperion and the engine blew a gasket and I lost 6-4. We stopped there.

My forehand was a shell of its former B5E self. Nothing about either setup really wowed me. Both were good, just not great. Had a slight TE twinge immediately afterwards but it is gone now. This morning, my triceps tendon was slightly sore but it feels fine now.

So I think I'm done testing polys (except maybe Scorpion). I found one I love and can play pain free with in B5E. Now I just need to try MultiFeel as a cross and see if that turns it into a volleying beast. If not, I'll probably buy a reel of B5E and a reel of MCS. I might use my 3rd racket for testing from time to time, but I'm pretty sure I'm at the end of the string testing road...for now.

dozu
04-20-2011, 04:02 PM
That's what I've got, so I'd be interested in any info on strings you gain.

got those rackets today - both strung with Kirschbaum Pro Line 2 red 1.20 @ 57/54.

I was like you gotta be kidding me, how can anyone play with poly at 57.... went hit a few against wall.. and I was speechless.

I had a MGP mid, so am somewhat familiar with the MGP line... but the MGPP is a beast compared to the mid.. balls shot off the string bed (the power level actually scared me a bit).

and the string bed felt fantastic - impacts with that nice poly 'metalic' sound when the mains return to position after a hit... very responsive... hits sound like mini explosions.. wow, so much fun.. hit a few serves and was impressed by that 'explosive' sound as well :)

slices are very good too.

Tomorrow will hit some on the court.... hope I can control all this power.

The head size is more like 95, and I am already feeling some difference from the usual 93 size volkl mids.. can't imagine how people play with 100+ head size.

NLBwell
04-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I know that sound the MGPPro makes. I am a little afraid to try powerful polys in this racket since it has quite a lot of inherent power.

bad_call
04-20-2011, 07:28 PM
got those rackets today - both strung with Kirschbaum Pro Line 2 red 1.20 @ 57/54.

I was like you gotta be kidding me, how can anyone play with poly at 57.... went hit a few against wall.. and I was speechless.

I had a MGP mid, so am somewhat familiar with the MGP line... but the MGPP is a beast compared to the mid.. balls shot off the string bed (the power level actually scared me a bit).

and the string bed felt fantastic - impacts with that nice poly 'metalic' sound when the mains return to position after a hit... very responsive... hits sound like mini explosions.. wow, so much fun.. hit a few serves and was impressed by that 'explosive' sound as well :)

slices are very good too.

Tomorrow will hit some on the court.... hope I can control all this power.

The head size is more like 95, and I am already feeling some difference from the usual 93 size volkl mids.. can't imagine how people play with 100+ head size.

think pvaudio described PL2 correctly...marshmallow softness with trampoline launching power or something to that effect.

dozu
04-21-2011, 05:25 AM
played points for an hour, with the set up.... I think I am sold :)

great racket, great string.

the most enjoyable part is crushing FH from anywhere in the court, deep back, short balls, running FHs.. and seems always land very deep.... seems the only times I missed, was when I actually made a mistake. (this racket/string set up does induce over-hitting, so I had to keep reminding myself to stay loose and smooth).

1hbh topspin is OK, need to adjust to that bigger head.... a couple of times my left hand couldn't grip the wider neck properly, but just a minor issue that should go away soon.

slices are not bad.... may not be as penetrating as my heavier volkl, but still not bad.

volleys are really good too.. racket is more mobile than my DNX, has plenty of punch of feel.

and the serve! I thought the DNX was good on serves, this racket definitely swings faster, plus that lively string, plus the 'explosion' sound effect, gives a lot of confidence on flats and spins (I got take another video soon... has changed my service motion).

All this, with the string set up that came with the racket... I am sure I can make it better by experimenting with different tensions.... also what impressed me, was the upper hoop being lively, even at such high tension.

when I switched back and forth between the Tour10 mid and DNX10 mid, the T10 felt like a pillow, while the DNX10 felt more lively (although the racket is not very mobile on fast exchanges).... this morning when I switch back n forth between the DNX10 and the MGPP, the DNX feels like a wood racket LOL.

will use for a while to get over the honeymoon period, and settle with this new babe... this morning was hitting against wind also, and didn't feel the depth control was affected by the wind.

kslick
04-21-2011, 07:27 AM
think pvaudio described PL2 correctly...marshmallow softness with trampoline launching power or something to that effect.

Yep thats pretty close. Loved that string at first but after awhile I began to hate it. Its nice in the beginning and goes south pretty quick and turns into a rocket launcher. To bad i bought a reel of it but that was 2 years ago.

dozu
04-21-2011, 07:33 AM
Yep thats pretty close. Loved that string at first but after awhile I began to hate it. Its nice in the beginning and goes south pretty quick and turns into a rocket launcher. To bad i bought a reel of it but that was 2 years ago.

How many hours do you get out of a fresh job of PL2? at what tension?

How does it compare to WC Scorpion 1.22 (if you have used it) ?

mikeler
04-21-2011, 09:41 AM
My B5E STILL has not shown up. So now I have to figure out if I want to hit tonight with the softer Genesis and hope nothing funky goes on with my elbow or retreat to Recoil/MCS until reinforcements arrive.

kslick
04-21-2011, 10:00 AM
How many hours do you get out of a fresh job of PL2? at what tension?

How does it compare to WC Scorpion 1.22 (if you have used it) ?

I got about 2 hours before I could tell things were going down hill (trampoline effect). 52 lbs.

Sorry I haven't played with Scorpion......yet.

mikeler
04-21-2011, 10:32 AM
I got about 2 hours before I could tell things were going down hill (trampoline effect). 52 lbs.

Sorry I haven't played with Scorpion......yet.

Wow, 2 hours is terrible. Was this on a ball machine/hitting session or match play?

kslick
04-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Wow, 2 hours is terrible. Was this on a ball machine/hitting session or match play?

A little bit of all. I keep wondering why after a short time that my balls kept going long and I wasn't able to control my shots. I started to pay more attention and noticed at around the 2 hour mark give or take depending on the situation things went south.

mikeler
04-22-2011, 05:44 AM
Hit with the Prince Recoil/MCS setup for 4 games after I felt a twinge of TE pain in the warm up with Black Magic. Now that I've used poly, I can't go back to multis. So the remainder of the 3 sets I played with Black Magic and it is just not my string.

dozu
04-22-2011, 05:50 AM
A little bit of all. I keep wondering why after a short time that my balls kept going long and I wasn't able to control my shots. I started to pay more attention and noticed at around the 2 hour mark give or take depending on the situation things went south.

kslick, you are right, the PL2 does go downhill real fast.... I went out for about 1.5 hours this morning, can already feel the difference from what I had yesterday.... the string bed, except the sweet spot, feels quite dead...

dead polys are AWFUL !

gonna cut it out and put on Scorpion + Nylon hybrid and see what happens.

Power Player
04-22-2011, 06:30 AM
That sucks about the Black Magic..it is extremely racquet dependant though, so it does not totally surprise me.

I can not reccomend Solinco Outlast. It is not horrible, but the playability changed a lot after 2 hours of hitting. It just doesnt have the the same feel or pop now, but it is usable. It just did not seem to "outlast" much at all.

That being said, I am defintiley going to try tourbite, B5e, Black Magic (in the donnay racquet) and see if a winner emerges.

slice it
04-22-2011, 07:30 AM
Hey all,

This is for anyone with experience with the weisscannon strings (specifically Silversting 1.20 and Scorpion 1.22). Im going to be stringing a full bed in my YTPP and I want to get some recommendations for what tension to string at. I usually string polys (like PHT, PLII, tornado, Black Magic) at mid 50's and that has seemed to work fine most of the time. I understand though that a lot of you have been experimenting with lower tensions with some of these wiesscannon strings, so i just wanted to get some opinions before i string my sticks up.

Thanks

mikeler
04-22-2011, 07:31 AM
Hey all,

This is for anyone with experience with the weisscannon strings (specifically Silversting 1.20 and Scorpion 1.22). Im going to be stringing a full bed in my YTPP and I want to get some recommendations for what tension to string at. I usually string polys (like PHT, PLII, tornado, Black Magic) at mid 50's and that has seemed to work fine most of the time. I understand though that a lot of you have been experimenting with lower tensions with some of these wiesscannon strings, so i just wanted to get some opinions before i string my sticks up.

Thanks

I strung B5E at 48# on a lockout machine and it worked perfect for me at that tension. Good luck!

Bartelby
04-22-2011, 07:33 AM
Mid forties in a prestige works fine. I don't think forties for a poly is actually low.

mikeler
04-22-2011, 07:39 AM
Mid forties in a prestige works fine. I don't think forties for a poly is actually low.

Oops, forgot to mention my frame is a Babolat Pure Storm Tour Plus (non GT version).

ethebull
04-22-2011, 09:18 AM
I keep going lower bit by bit. For reference, I like multi's and syn gut right around 60 on my 18x20 Ozone Pro Tours. Poly syn gut hybrids have been 54-56 mains with 58-60 cross, but recently I've had no downside with 52 mains, 56 cross on the syn gut. Also finding full copoly beds very nice around 52. Gauge and softness factors in, for example, I have some 1.27 twisted razor I plan to string at 48. The typical polys I use are 1.18-1.25

Power Player
04-22-2011, 09:49 AM
Hey all,

Thanks

I'd go under 52#s on any poly string you try (not just WC). The sweet spot for me is around 48#s. It basically will give you a lot longer playability. When you stretch a poly past 52#s, it loses elasticity before you even get to hit with it.

This is why a lot more people are converting to lower tension polys..they are a lot easier on your arm and the playabilty is going to last longer. If you are a pro or can restring every few hours, then you can do whatever tension you want.

dozu
04-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Hey all,

This is for anyone with experience with the weisscannon strings (specifically Silversting 1.20 and Scorpion 1.22). Im going to be stringing a full bed in my YTPP and I want to get some recommendations for what tension to string at.

so I have the MGPP, should be close enough t your YTPP.

just strung one up, Scorpion 1.22 mains @39, Ashaway Liberty 16 Nylon cross @39 (but pulled the top 3 and bottom 2 crosses @35 only).

When out hit a few, the set up is very good - great control as a poly job should give, and the MGPP provides the pop when I try to crank it up.

right now I have about 5 grams of lead around 2 and 10 oclock position.... slices are still not as penetrating as my heavier volkls.... will probably put another 5 grams somewhere lower on the frame and it should be all good..

will hit this set up for a while, and see how long the performance can last.

The hybrid job doesn't quite give that 'metallic explosion' sound at impact, but still performs very nice, and is more comfortable than a full poly job.

Power Player
04-22-2011, 10:05 AM
Dozu..you should really try the black magic in your prestige..perfect match..it pockets right in the sweet spot and retains the crisp feedback of the racquet. Right at 50#s is where you'd want it.

It probably doesnt work as well in the pst because that racquet is more muted. The pure storm tour GT, you could seriously put anything in there and it all felt somewhat similar.

dozu
04-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Dozu..you should really try the black magic in your prestige..perfect match..it pockets right in the sweet spot and retains the crisp feedback of the racquet. Right at 50#s is where you'd want it.

It probably doesnt work as well in the pst because that racquet is more muted. The pure storm tour GT, you could seriously put anything in there and it all felt somewhat similar.

yes - heard of good things about the black magic.... is on my to-try list..... how long does the performance last at 50# ?

GlenK
04-22-2011, 10:50 AM
Just played with WC Scorpian for the first time this morning. Stung it at 54/53 and that was perfect for me. Excellent control, good pocketing, and volleys were crisp and accurate.
Stringing in the 40s works for some players but not me. Lose to much on volleys and touch shots. If you stay at the baseline and hit ground strokes the lower settings may be better for you.

Power Player
04-22-2011, 11:01 AM
yes - heard of good things about the black magic.... is on my to-try list..... how long does the performance last at 50# ?

If you like it, you will know off the bat and should then get 12 hours out of it.

i suck at tennis
04-22-2011, 11:12 AM
I strung B5E at 48# on a lockout machine and it worked perfect for me at that tension. Good luck!

mikeler did you use the 'Jaycee' method on your lockout machine or just string it normally at 48#?? I've been wanting to try the Jaycee way with Scorpion on my LO but haven't taken the plunge since I read that a LO is not ideal

Power Player
04-22-2011, 11:20 AM
You cant really do the Jaycee on a lockout unfortunately. The best you can do is slowly crank and make sure you do not overshoot. It can be done, but is a lot trickier. I just bought an auto drop weight for this reason, because I almost always string full poly.

Hotrocks
04-22-2011, 03:19 PM

Mikeler- I use the Fischer-Black Granite No.1 (98") strung with Tornado mains(51) and Mantis-Power Synthetic(49). Racquet has a 16X20 string pattern so I string less in the crosses. Give Mantis-Power Synthetic a try.....I think you would like it more than the comfort? But everyone has there preferance.

mikeler
04-22-2011, 04:22 PM
I try to slow pull the poly as others have mentioned before. I like Mantis Comfort because it is low powered, so Mantis Power might have too much zip for me.

slice it
04-23-2011, 09:36 AM
Hey all,

Just a couple more questions before I make my string purchases.

has anybody tried a full set of B5E/scorpion? -If so, what did you think of it compared to a hybrid.

Did you ever hybrid B5E/scorp. with MCS?

Thanks so much

mikeler
04-23-2011, 02:39 PM
Look at post #1 for a link to my B5E/MCS review.

Just strung up B5E and MultiFeel. Will report back tomorrow after my match.

Jeepers
04-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Mikeler, have you thought of trying N.vy as a hybrid? Have you tried it before as a full bed?

mikeler
04-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Mikeler, have you thought of trying N.vy as a hybrid? Have you tried it before as a full bed?

Just tried MultiFeel with B5E for 2 sets. It is better for volleys and slightly more spin than MCS but I'm more confident in my strokes and returns with the MCS. More later...

So I think N.VY would be too stiff for my liking.

slopoke
04-24-2011, 01:46 PM
Mikeler, what do you think about a full bed of B5E in a flexible frame for someone with arm issues? Is it much stiffer than MCS?

mikeler
04-25-2011, 06:10 AM
Mikeler, what do you think about a full bed of B5E in a flexible frame for someone with arm issues? Is it much stiffer than MCS?

While B5E is soft, it is still a poly. So it is nowhere near as soft as MCS.

mikeler
04-25-2011, 06:19 AM
So I played 2 long sets yesterday in the mid-day heat with B5E/MultiFeel. The temps in the upper 80s made for great shoulder weather.

I noticed on the first hit that the strings felt much tighter than the MCS crosses but not stiff. I was not really digging it for the first few games but after that the stringbed seemed to loosen up for me.

My opponent complained afterwards that I was not missing a ball. He still ended up taking the 2nd set in a tiebreak with some big serving and forehands. Here is a shot by shot comparison:

Serve: The MF crosses brought a little more power and spin
Strokes: My forehand is still better with the MCS crosses
Volleys: The MF crosses provide more stick to the volleys
Touch: The MCS crosses were better in this department

While it might appear to be a tie from the info above, I do prefer the softer feel of the stringbed from MCS. Also, I just play more confidently and aggressively with the MCS crosses. For those that like a firmer stringbed, MF might be worth a shot just because of the higher spin potential than the MCS.

Boricua
04-25-2011, 06:36 AM
So I played 2 long sets yesterday in the mid-day heat with B5E/MultiFeel. The temps in the upper 80s made for great shoulder weather.

I noticed on the first hit that the strings felt much tighter than the MCS crosses but not stiff. I was not really digging it for the first few games but after that the stringbed seemed to loosen up for me.

My opponent complained afterwards that I was not missing a ball. He still ended up taking the 2nd set in a tiebreak with some big serving and forehands. Here is a shot by shot comparison:

While it might appear to be a tie from the info above, I do prefer the softer feel of the stringbed from MCS. Also, I just play more confidently and aggressively with the MCS crosses. For those that like a firmer stringbed, MF might be worth a shot just because of the higher spin potential than the MCS.

How many hours did you get from B5E/ MCS? Did they break or did you cut the strings due to loss of tension?

cmendez79
04-25-2011, 06:57 AM

Mikeler,

i have read all the post, but maybe I did not read it well, but have you tried Signum Pro Tornado 1.17 ?

I have tennis elbow, and I was using Mantis, Multifeel, X-One, etc.... but my game is with Polys so I came back, and tried Pro Line 2, Tornado, Big hitter Blue Rough ( which is amazing, but gave me the most horrible tennis elbow), and i just keep coming back to Tornado is soft and has a great spin.

I have not used B5E, but I will give it a try.

Thanks!!

mikeler
04-25-2011, 07:14 AM
How many hours did you get from B5E/ MCS? Did they break or did you cut the strings due to loss of tension?

The MCS was hanging on by a thread so I cut it out.

Mikeler,

i have read all the post, but maybe I did not read it well, but have you tried Signum Pro Tornado 1.17 ?

I have tennis elbow, and I was using Mantis, Multifeel, X-One, etc.... but my game is with Polys so I came back, and tried Pro Line 2, Tornado, Big hitter Blue Rough ( which is amazing, but gave me the most horrible tennis elbow), and i just keep coming back to Tornado is soft and has a great spin.

I have not used B5E, but I will give it a try.

Thanks!!

Tornado gave me some slight TE pain which I've never had before. So I cut that sucker out right away.

Boricua
04-25-2011, 07:31 AM
The MCS was hanging on by a thread so I cut it out.

Tornado gave me some slight TE pain which I've never had before. So I cut that sucker out right away.

How many hours did the B5E/ MCS setup last?

mikeler
04-25-2011, 07:39 AM
How many hours did the B5E/ MCS setup last?

13 sets of singles and one set of doubles. Best guess would be about 12 hours. That is acceptable durability for me. At that rate, I only need to restring every other weekend.

mikeler
04-25-2011, 07:54 AM
Can anyone comment on how Black Widow plays? I'm seriously considering buying a reel of both B5E and MCS but I'm always worried I'll find something better around the corner.

Boricua
04-25-2011, 08:34 AM
13 sets of singles and one set of doubles. Best guess would be about 12 hours. That is acceptable durability for me. At that rate, I only need to restring every other weekend.

Yeah, pretty good durability. Thanks.:)

mikeler
04-25-2011, 01:15 PM
The only thing that is really stopping me from buying a reel of both is I'd like to see how my arm does over a few more string jobs. I'd rather not be stuck with most of a reel that I have to unload.

Boricua
04-25-2011, 01:40 PM
Has anyone used Mantis Comfort Poly? I wonder how it will play in a hybrid setup with Mantis Comfort Synthetic as a cross.

muas1
04-25-2011, 03:51 PM
Can anyone comment on how Black Widow plays? I'm seriously considering buying a reel of both B5E and MCS but I'm always worried I'll find something better around the corner.

Tried Black Widow 17 in a hybrid with Isospeed Professional in the crosses about two months ago. I haven't tried any other hex poly's to compare to it but it generated a ton of spin for me, virtually every ball I hit dipped near the baseline. Felt fairly crisp and had a bit of bite for me, volleys and drop shots were solid. I had pretty good placement and pace on my serve (flat) as well. Overall my first impressions were that it was a great string.

The only place where you might have a problem is power. The string is suppose to have a big initial tension loss then level off and maintain fairly well afterwards. Given this, Dunlop recommends you string 10-15% higher than normal. I followed these instructions and strung at 57lbs on a PK Redondo 98 instead of the high 40s I normally use for poly's. Even at 57lbs I was getting a good deal of power but was able to control it with the great spin potential.

It was pretty comfortable during the 5 sets I played with it but two days later I felt a lot of pain in the back of my neck and right shoulder like I had lifted way too many weights so I cut it out. I played really well with the string and I'd like to try it again in the mid 40s to see if I can avoid the shoulder pain but I'm worried about increased power at that tension. Might string up the other half I have left this weekend and give it another set or 2.

mikeler
04-26-2011, 05:51 AM
Tried Black Widow 17 in a hybrid with Isospeed Professional in the crosses about two months ago. I haven't tried any other hex poly's to compare to it but it generated a ton of spin for me, virtually every ball I hit dipped near the baseline. Felt fairly crisp and had a bit of bite for me, volleys and drop shots were solid. I had pretty good placement and pace on my serve (flat) as well. Overall my first impressions were that it was a great string.

The only place where you might have a problem is power. The string is suppose to have a big initial tension loss then level off and maintain fairly well afterwards. Given this, Dunlop recommends you string 10-15% higher than normal. I followed these instructions and strung at 57lbs on a PK Redondo 98 instead of the high 40s I normally use for poly's. Even at 57lbs I was getting a good deal of power but was able to control it with the great spin potential.

It was pretty comfortable during the 5 sets I played with it but two days later I felt a lot of pain in the back of my neck and right shoulder like I had lifted way too many weights so I cut it out. I played really well with the string and I'd like to try it again in the mid 40s to see if I can avoid the shoulder pain but I'm worried about increased power at that tension. Might string up the other half I have left this weekend and give it another set or 2.

Awesome info! I like lower powered strings but I still may try this one out.

muas1
04-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Awesome info! I like lower powered strings but I still may try this one out.

It's definitely worth giving a try, and if you don't like it then you'll know there is one less string "around the corner" to try. I'm wondering if some of the power I experienced came from the Isospeed crosses. I'd be interested to know how you compare Black Widow to B5E. B5E is next on my list to try but I think I liked Black Widow the best out of the poly's I've tried so far (Black Venom & Polystar Energy).

Boricua
04-27-2011, 06:00 AM

Tension maintenance: To be determined, good at the 4.5 hour mark
Price: $11.90/set for B5E and $9/set for MCS or $90/reel

General: Coming from over a year of playing with full multifilament jobs for arm health, this took some getting used to. The first set I played, I was not finding the mark at all. I contemplated putting the racket back in the bag, but I'm glad I did not because I am really digging this setup now. It really helps me blunt the power of the big hitters I face regularly.

Serve/Return of Serve: My first serve is pretty good with this setup. The 2nd serve is getting plenty of kick when my shoulder cooperates. Return of serve is the weakest part of my game and I think where this setup shines for me. Playing a lefty in the wind yesterday I only missed a few returns and I was able to get them back deep.

Strokes: Lots of spin on both wings. Depth control was good. Flattening out balls is fantastic so far. With a number of multis, I just don't have the confidence to flatten out the ball.

Touch shots: My drop shots were working well with this setup.

Durability: To be determined. I don't see any signs that this setup will break soon at the 4.5 hour mark. There are black marks on the MCS at the string intersections.

Movement: The mains do slide around some but I think that is probably due to the very smooth MCS crosses. The MCS does not move around as much in this setup as a full bed. I did notice after one hard hit, the top cross moved quite a bit and pulled the tail of the knot in a little bit.

Do you think WC Explosiv as a cross with B5E be similar to MCS as a cross?

I wonder because I read that MCS is low powered and Explosiv is high powered.

mikeler
04-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Do you think WC Explosiv as a cross with B5E be similar to MCS as a cross?

I wonder because I read that MCS is low powered and Explosiv is high powered.

Not sure on that one since I've never used Explosiv as a full bed.

mikeler
04-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Played for an hour last night. My opponent was off and I was hitting lights out so both sets went quick. The B5E/MF setup definitely softened from the previous outing and I'm really liking it now.

I just realized that I have not written a full review of Genesis Black Magic or B5E/MF, so I'll try and get 'er done soon.

Boricua
04-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Played for an hour last night. My opponent was off and I was hitting lights out so both sets went quick. The B5E/MF setup definitely softened from the previous outing and I'm really liking it now.

I just realized that I have not written a full review of Genesis Black Magic or B5E/MF, so I'll try and get 'er done soon.

Do you prefer it over B5E/MCS?:)

Boricua
04-27-2011, 10:30 AM
Not sure on that one since I've never used Explosiv as a full bed.

Could be a good combo B5E/Explosiv:)

mikeler
04-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Do you prefer it over B5E/MCS?:)

It's tough to say, it is pretty close. I think I prefer the softer feel of the MCS.

Boricua
04-27-2011, 11:34 AM
It's tough to say, it is pretty close. I think I prefer the softer feel of the MCS.

With which one did you get more control to place your shots?

mikeler
04-27-2011, 11:44 AM
With which one did you get more control to place your shots?

Let me get in one more hit before I try and answer this one.

Boricua
04-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Let me get in one more hit before I try and answer this one.

Lets do something. Get all the hits you need so you can answer. In the meantime, Ill do the same with these setups. At the end, we can compare, at least with these two hybrid setups.:)

I will also use full set B5E which Ive used already but not in the racket Im using now.

Finally, I am planning to use B5E in different combinations and see if it beats my favorite seup till now- Revenge mains/gut crosses.

After that, I have a set of Polyfibre TCS waiting patiently to be tried out.:)

mikeler
04-28-2011, 06:21 AM
OK, here is my full review of Genesis Black Magic 17 Mains/Weiss Cannon Explosiv 16 crosses.

Stringing the Black Magic was no problem. The string is fairly smooth so getting the crosses installed was easy.

Feel: Average feel
Tension maintenance: No comment, I'll be cutting these out.
Price: $7.90/set for Black Magic and $13.50/set for Explosiv

General: Played 2 separate matches with this setup. The first one was a modified 3 setter that we started the 3rd set at 2-2. The other one was just an awful 3 set match from both myself and my opponent in the wind. A total error fest.

Serve/Return of Serve: Nothing special on the serve. Return of serve lacked a lot of control.

Strokes: Average spin on both wings. Depth control was all over the place. Flattening out balls for winners was sporadic.

Touch shots: My drop shots were NOT working well with this setup.

Softness: This setup feels slightly softer to me than my new favorite B5E/MCS setup at the same tension. It did not bother my arm at all.

Tension: If I ever tried this setup again, I might try stringing 2 or 3 pounds tighter.

Durability: No comment, I'll be cutting these out.

Movement: The mains do slide around some but I think that is probably due to the very smooth MCS crosses.

Conclusion: This setup was not for me. I don't play well with it. Tennis is much more fun win or lose when I play well.

mikeler
04-28-2011, 06:29 AM
OK, here is my full review of WeissCannon Black5Edge (B5E) 17 Mains/Tecnifibre MultiFeel (MF) 16 crosses.

Stringing the B5E is easy, knots are somewhat tough to do. MultiFeel being a little roughly textured makes it somewhat tougher to get the crosses in.

Tension maintenance: Seemed to drop some after the 5 hour mark.
Price: $11.90/set for B5E and $9.50/set for MF

General: Well this proves B5E is really my string. MF and MCS are fairly different multis and I like both with B5E. I think I like MCS slightly better.

Serve/Return of Serve: My first serve is pretty good with this setup. The 2nd serve is getting some healthy kick. Return of serve is the weakest part of my game and I think where this setup shines for me. I have the confidence to go for returns and put a lot of pressure on my opponents.

Strokes: Insane spin on both wings. Depth control was good. Flattening out balls is not quite as good as MCS crosses.

Volleys: It's great for volleys, better than MCS crosses.

Touch shots: My drop shots were working fairly well with this setup.

Softness: This setup felt stiff to me the first 2 sets. After a few days, I played again and the stringbed felt much better. No arm problems to report.

Tension: Perfect for my game except the first 2 sets where it would have been nice to have a little less tension.

Durability: The MultiFeel was heavily notched when I cut it out at the 9 hour mark.

Movement: The mains do slide around some which I was not expecting. I thought the rougher MF crosses would hold the B5E in place. KCraig will not like this!

Conclusion: This is an excellent string setup that I'm really enjoying. It's nice to get a touch extra spin out of MF versus MCS crosses. I still think I have a slight preference for the MCS crosses. Both cross strings unleash my forehand into a major weapon combined with B5E.

Kcraig
04-28-2011, 06:38 AM
OK, here is my full review of WeissCannon Black5Edge (B5E) 17 Mains/Tecnifibre MultiFeel (MF) 16 crosses.

Stringing the B5E is easy, knots are somewhat tough to do. MultiFeel being a little roughly textured makes it somewhat tougher to get the crosses in.

Tension maintenance: To be determined, good at the 4 hour mark
Price: $11.90/set for B5E and $9.50/set for MF

General: Well this proves B5E is really my string. MF and MCS are fairly different multis and I like both with B5E. I think I like MCS slightly better.

Serve/Return of Serve: My first serve is pretty good with this setup. The 2nd serve is getting some healthy kick. Return of serve is the weakest part of my game and I think where this setup shines for me. I have the confidence to go for returns and put a lot of pressure on my opponents.

Strokes: Insane spin on both wings. Depth control was good. Flattening out balls is not quite as good as MCS crosses.

Volleys: It's great for volleys, better than MCS crosses.

Touch shots: My drop shots were working fairly well with this setup.

Softness: This setup felt stiff to me the first 2 sets. After a few days, I played again and the stringbed felt much better. No arm problems to report.

Tension: Perfect for my game except the first 2 sets where it would have been nice to have a little less tension.

Durability: To be determined. I don't see any signs that this setup will break soon at the 4 hour mark.

Movement: The mains do slide around some which I was not expecting. I thought the rougher MF crosses would hold the B5E in place. KCraig will not like this!

Conclusion: This is an excellent string setup that I'm really enjoying. It's nice to get a touch extra spin out of MF versus MCS crosses. I still think I have a slight preference for the MCS crosses. Both cross strings unleash my forehand into a major weapon combined with B5E.

Nice review and write up as always--:)

mikeler
04-28-2011, 06:44 AM
Nice review and write up as always--:)

You didn't even mention that you played with B5E/MCS last night. Give us some feedback after your next outing. Hopefully a crazy storm system won't be wreaking havoc with the tennis ball next time. ;-)

Kcraig
04-28-2011, 07:11 AM
Well on Mikeler's advice I had to jump on the ole' bandwagon and try out this B5E/MCS combo. I have a tender elbow (GE) over the winter/cooler months so was a little skeptical on trying some poly again. Been using mostly full multis setups since January strung around 56#, but have really been missing some extra bite from poly. My previous "go to" setup was Pacific's Gut/Poly hybrid of Tgh Gut 16L/Polyforce 16 at around 56/53. I have also been experimenting with a new frame of sorts since my Diablo MPs seem to have some suspect QC issues going on. Currently using a modified Dunlop 4D300 with some lead (4g) at 2.5/9.5, lead on grip and 2 OGs to bring total static to 326g/11.5oz. Played singles last night for about 1.5hrs in windy conditions against a "scrambling pusher" followed by a 1hr baseline hittins seesion with a big hitting youngster (4.5). So here we go:

Frame: Dunlop 4D300 16*19 (modified)
Tension: 45/48 on a Bab Star 5
Price of setup: $10.50

General: Well this is certainly a very soft setup. Ball pocketing was really nice and overall feel from stringbed feels every bit as soft as some full multi setups I have tried. Actually, this setup felt as soft as a recent tough gut/supex titan setup I tried on the same frame at 56lbs. MCS aka "the noodle" is such a soft cross string and I think that 48lbs may be too low for this string especially after being pulled through the crosses. It really seems to move around a good bit. The mains did not move much for me on this setup--it was more on the crosses.

Power/Spin: This low tension was nice and added some good pop. Was able to experience the pop on the "hitting session" much more than the original match as I always find it very difficult to hit out hard against a "knuckle ball" player. This is a nice "spinny" setup, but not quite as much as I was expecting or have experienced with the gut/poly setups. The one area this setup really did well for me was on my 1hb slice. Ball had some really nice zip and bite and stayed very low. Dont think I had one "floater" in either match or hitting session--was a very consistent shot for me. Topspin was nice as well, but in the windy conditions (especially downwind), it didn't matter how much extra "top" you tried to put on the ball--it seemed to just carry long. Definitely excited to try again in better conditions--playing in gusting wind is always difficult, no matter what setup you have:-?

Volleys: This was an excellent setup for volleys. Great pop, punch, feel and touch. It seemed to really work well. Due to the wind, I was having to resort to gettting into net to put points away and this did not disappoint. Have a 4.58 doubles match on Sunday and will have more "extensive" feedback on volleys, but so far I enjoyed it:)

Serves: My serve is really "struggling" right now--so can't and don't want to comment on this quite yet as I know it is NOT the strings--it is the Indian on this one:oops:

Touch shots/softness: Really nice. You really can not tell there is poly in the frame. The MCS cross really help in softening the frame/ball pocketing and enhanced in the "feel" department nicely. Droppers were nice.

Movement: not too bad. As stated, the crosses moved on me much more than the mains. After playing several months with full multis, I have learned to let go of my "analness" towards string movement--baby steps I guess:)

Overall: Nice soft setup and was pretty arm friendly as well. I had no more arm tenderness than I usually have when using multis so this is a plus for me. For those wanting to "ease" back into polys or have any arm issues, I could certainly recommend this as a good one to start with. I actually feel I could take the tension up just a bit, especially on the crosses to maybe 46/50 and still be just fine.

Thanks for everyone and their input on these threads. My wallet certainly does NOT thank you!! I sometimes think back and laugh that "but for" these message boards/threads I would still be using my old "go to" setup from the early 90s--Prince Topspin 16g--LOL!!! BUT what fun would that be!!!

mikeler
04-28-2011, 07:16 AM
Well on Mikeler's advice I had to jump on the ole' bandwagon and try out this B5E/MCS combo. I have a tender elbow (GE) over the winter/cooler months so was a little skeptical on trying some poly again. Been using mostly full multis setups since January strung around 56#, but have really been missing some extra bite from poly. My previous "go to" setup was Pacific's Gut/Poly hybrid of Tgh Gut 16L/Polyforce 16 at around 56/53. I have also been experimenting with a new frame of sorts since my Diablo MPs seem to have some suspect QC issues going on. Currently using a modified Dunlop 4D300 with some lead (4g) at 2.5/9.5, lead on grip and 2 OGs to bring total static to 326g/11.5oz. Played singles last night for about 1.5hrs in windy conditions against a "scrambling pusher" followed by a 1hr baseline hittins seesion with a big hitting youngster (4.5). So here we go:

Frame: Dunlop 4D300 16*19 (modified)
Tension: 45/48 on a Bab Star 5
Price of setup: $10.50

General: Well this is certainly a very soft setup. Ball pocketing was really nice and overall feel from stringbed feels every bit as soft as some full multi setups I have tried. Actually, this setup felt as soft as a recent tough gut/supex titan setup I tried on the same frame at 56lbs. MCS aka "the noodle" is such a soft cross string and I think that 48lbs may be too low for this string especially after being pulled through the crosses. It really seems to move around a good bit. The mains did not move much for me on this setup--it was more on the crosses.

Power/Spin: This low tension was nice and added some good pop. Was able to experience the pop on the "hitting session" much more than the original match as I always find it very difficult to hit out hard against a "knuckle ball" player. This is a nice "spinny" setup, but not quite as much as I was expecting or have experienced with the gut/poly setups. The one area this setup really did well for me was on my 1hb slice. Ball had some really nice zip and bite and stayed very low. Dont think I had one "floater" in either match or hitting session--was a very consistent shot for me. Topspin was nice as well, but in the windy conditions (especially downwind), it didn't matter how much extra "top" you tried to put on the ball--it seemed to just carry long. Definitely excited to try again in better conditions--playing in gusting wind is always difficult, no matter what setup you have:-?

Volleys: This was an excellent setup for volleys. Great pop, punch, feel and touch. It seemed to really work well. Due to the wind, I was having to resort to gettting into net to put points away and this did not disappoint. Have a 4.58 doubles match on Sunday and will have more "extensive" feedback on volleys, but so far I enjoyed it:)

Serves: My serve is really "struggling" right now--so can't and don't want to comment on this quite yet as I know it is NOT the strings--it is the Indian on this one:oops:

Touch shots/softness: Really nice. You really can not tell there is poly in the frame. The MCS cross really help in softening the frame/ball pocketing and enhanced in the "feel" department nicely. Droppers were nice.

Movement: not too bad. As stated, the crosses moved on me much more than the mains. After playing several months with full multis, I have learned to let go of my "analness" towards string movement--baby steps I guess:)

Overall: Nice soft setup and was pretty arm friendly as well. I had no more arm tenderness than I usually have when using multis so this is a plus for me. For those wanting to "ease" back into polys or have any arm issues, I could certainly recommend this as a good one to start with. I actually feel I could take the tension up just a bit, especially on the crosses to maybe 46/50 and still be just fine.

Thanks for everyone and their input on these threads. My wallet certainly does NOT thank you!! I sometimes think back and laugh that "but for" these message boards/threads I would still be using my old "go to" setup from the early 90s--Prince Topspin 16g--LOL!!! BUT what fun would that be!!!

I still don't think it will help with the MCS movement, but it probably won't have too much effect on playability.

Kcraig
04-28-2011, 07:28 AM
I still don't think it will help with the MCS movement, but it probably won't have too much effect on playability.

True and the movement really is not "that bad" to be honest. I would not want to raise tension too much cause I love the soft feel from the stringbed and ball pocketing. Always been a big fan of polys at low tensions (50-52#), but this was my first "jump" to mid 40s and I enjoyed it.

mikeler
04-28-2011, 07:59 AM
Hoping to hit tonight if the cold front coming through does not dump rain on us.

Boricua
04-28-2011, 08:16 AM
Hoping to hit tonight if the cold front coming through does not dump rain on us.

What setup, have you decided?

mikeler
04-28-2011, 08:19 AM
What setup, have you decided?

My 3 setups are B5E/MF, Black Magic/Explosiv and Hyperion/Explosiv. Hyperion is too stiff for my elbow, so it will get the scissors next chance I get to restring which will probably be Saturday. I don't play well with Black Magic, so that is the backup racket at this point until I can give it the scissors. Hopefully that will happen on Saturday or Sunday. I plan on putting B5E/MCS as my "go to" setup in one racket and probably will try Black Widow/MCS. I may get around to testing PolyStar Energy again as a main string at some point.

Boricua
04-28-2011, 08:29 AM
Today, I am going to change the Polystar Energy full bed that I have right now. Played with it for maybe 4 hours. Could get more hours but Ill cut it out.

I am going to use a B5E hybrid setup eventhough Im tempted to use it full bed. Eventually Ill try the full bed at 45 pds.

For the present setup I am trying to decide between:

1- B5E mains, Multifeel crosses
2-B5E mains, VS Black Gut crosses
3-VS Black Gut mains, B5E crosses

With the Babolat APD GT racket I was using, the VS mains, B5E crosses felt better than B5E, VS crosses. But with the current Yonex racket it could be different.

My head will brainstorm all day and decide two minutes before giving it to the stringer:)

mikeler
04-29-2011, 05:43 AM
So I got another 2 sets on B5E/MF yesterday afternoon. Conditions were hot and windy. My car thermometer said 93 when I got out of the car.

I still ended up winning but did not play as well. My forehand was not finding the mark and several balls I hit went several feet beyond the baseline. I'm not sure if the MF is losing some tension since I've never played with it for more than 4 sets until now. Looking forward to getting the MCS in the mail, I definitely prefer that setup to the MF crosses.

I'm really loving my kick serve again with polyester mains and the hot weather loosening up the mending shoulder. Last night I had it jumping pretty high which I have not been able to do for a few months.

mikeler
04-29-2011, 05:45 AM
Bought a set of Black Widow 17 to test last night. Also got a 3 pack of Dunlop Gecko Tac overgrips to test out.

Boricua
04-29-2011, 06:05 AM
Decided to string full bed of B5E as my racket absorbs vibration and shock pretty well. Strung at 47. Will test at night and Sunday morning if the tropical weather does not send rain. Will post my thoughts on Monday.:)

J_aces
04-29-2011, 07:15 PM
played with a B5E/gosen hybrid at 50/53 and it felt much nicer going 4 lbs lower

mikeler
04-30-2011, 05:31 AM
Got another match in an hour. Still waiting on my MCS to arrive.

taylorhorton4
04-30-2011, 05:39 AM
With all the hype arising about b5e I thought I'd post my findings. Have not tried it yet and will shortly in the future but I had talked to a tw representative about whether or not they would be stocking it and at first they said no but the next day Chris from tw had answered for me and said they would have it in in less than a week, good news.

Boricua
04-30-2011, 06:31 AM
Played yesterday night with full bed B5E, 47 pound string tension. Just hit with intensity from the baseline for one hour, did not play a match. I was kind of off as I was on vacation and had not hit to much this week.

B5E, as any next full bed poly freshly strung, felt a little bit stiff specially when hitting out of the sweet spot. When hitting the ball well feel felt good. Topspin was effective on both sides, slices remained low. Did not volley or serve today.

No pain in arm or shoulder.

Tomorrow I will play a match and see how it goes.

Will post impressions on Monday possibly.

mikeler
04-30-2011, 03:06 PM
With all the hype arising about b5e I thought I'd post my findings. Have not tried it yet and will shortly in the future but I had talked to a tw representative about whether or not they would be stocking it and at first they said no but the next day Chris from tw had answered for me and said they would have it in in less than a week, good news.

Good news indeed. Restrung all 3 rackets today. Now have B5E/MCS in 2 rackets and Black Widow 17/MCS in the other one. All are at 48/52. BW is much sharper than B5E which made weaving crosses tougher. Seems slightly softer than B5E and very spinny.

J_aces
04-30-2011, 04:37 PM
Good news indeed. Restrung all 3 rackets today. Now have B5E/MCS in 2 rackets and Black Widow 17/MCS in the other one. All are at 48/52. BW is much sharper than B5E which made weaving crosses tougher. Seems slightly softer than B5E and very spinny.

I'd love to hear a direct comparison between the two

mikeler
04-30-2011, 04:56 PM
I'd love to hear a direct comparison between the two

You will get it hopefully on Thursday. Playing a guy Tuesday that has owned me the last year, so I want to go with the B5E/MCS since I play my best with it.

mikeler
04-30-2011, 04:58 PM
Had a tough 3 setter today, the B5E/MF definitely lost some tension the last 2 matches. Since I've never played MF over 4 hours, I'm guessing that is the culprit.

I did a B5E ball bounce comparison between the MF crosses (before it got the scissors) and MCS crosses. The MCS crosses produce a much softer, muted string bed. The MF is definitely more firm and crisp. No question that MCS is the way to go for me after my last two outings.

mikeler
05-01-2011, 03:55 PM
Bounced balls today off the B5E and BW setups. I would not know the difference between them if blindfolded. So tension maintenance may be an issue with BW, we shall see.

parasailing
05-01-2011, 06:19 PM
I finally strung up B5E at 52lbs and played with it for two hours. So far, good initial impressions. It felt soft on the arm, offered good spin production, has good power and control.

Compared to Dunlop Black Widow, Black Widow offers a bit more spin than B5E but B5E gives you more power.

Both Black Widow and B5E takes me a fewer minutes longer to string the crosses due to their shape compared to the round soft polys like TCS and Energy.

Tourna Big Hitter Blue Rough plays similar to B5E but only lasted five hours so I had to keep looking for something that offered the same performance but lasted longer before going dead on me.

Will keep updates as time goes by to see if this indeed will be my last soft copoly to try.

mikeler
05-02-2011, 05:12 AM
I finally strung up B5E at 52lbs and played with it for two hours. So far, good initial impressions. It felt soft on the arm, offered good spin production, has good power and control.

Compared to Dunlop Black Widow, Black Widow offers a bit more spin than B5E but B5E gives you more power.

Both Black Widow and B5E takes me a fewer minutes longer to string the crosses due to their shape compared to the round soft polys like TCS and Energy.

Tourna Big Hitter Blue Rough plays similar to B5E but only lasted five hours so I had to keep looking for something that offered the same performance but lasted longer before going dead on me.

Will keep updates as time goes by to see if this indeed will be my last soft copoly to try.

I think you'll find the tension maintenance is there. For me, it was easier weaving the crosses with B5E. BW is pretty sharp for a string and made even the noodle MCS hard to weave. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

GlenK
05-02-2011, 08:14 AM
I like Scorpion so much I want to try it in a hybrid with nat gut mains.
Racquet specs say 21' for mains. How are you guys dealing with that for a 40' gut set when I keep reading many of them are not even 40'???

Can't get two sets of mains out of one set of strings...

mikeler
05-02-2011, 08:36 AM
I like Scorpion so much I want to try it in a hybrid with nat gut mains.
Racquet specs say 21' for mains. How are you guys dealing with that for a 40' gut set when I keep reading many of them are not even 40'???

Can't get two sets of mains out of one set of strings...

I have never strung gut but hopefully it will stretch enough for two 20' sets. You may have to use your starting clamp as a bridge.

GlenK
05-02-2011, 11:11 AM
I have never strung gut but hopefully it will stretch enough for two 20' sets. You may have to use your starting clamp as a bridge.

I will let you know. Just ordered 2 sets of vs and 2 sets of Pacific.

parasailing
05-02-2011, 11:14 AM
I think you'll find the tension maintenance is there. For me, it was easier weaving the crosses with B5E. BW is pretty sharp for a string and made even the noodle MCS hard to weave. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Both Black Widow and B5E were strung in full setup so they felt the same to me. They both were difficult to weave the crosses and to me, they felt about the same although I can see that the black widow is a tad sharper but Polyfibre Cobra takes the crown when it comes to be the most difficult to pull. The texture is so rough that it just makes it really difficult to pull through quickly extending the amount of time to string it.

mikeler
05-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Both Black Widow and B5E were strung in full setup so they felt the same to me. They both were difficult to weave the crosses and to me, they felt about the same although I can see that the black widow is a tad sharper but Polyfibre Cobra takes the crown when it comes to be the most difficult to pull. The texture is so rough that it just makes it really difficult to pull through quickly extending the amount of time to string it.

You can compare them as full jobs and I can compare them as hybrids. Should be interesting.

parasailing
05-02-2011, 05:56 PM
You can compare them as full jobs and I can compare them as hybrids. Should be interesting.

My assessment of Black Widow is that it offers great spin production but at the expense of power. So if you can provide all the power, then go with Black Widow. It feels as soft to me as B5E and I got at least 5 hours of play before I cut them out to try something else.

The thing I like about B5E so far is that it has power in addition to spin granted a bit less than Black Widow but I can deal with that. Even though I was able to produce more spin with Black Widow, balls would land between the service box and the baseline whereas B5E would land at the baseline.

So I just need to see how long B5E lasts. I am happy with the initial couple hours but time will tell whether this will end my poly string search. I also have WC Scorpion that I need to test out once I see how long this set lasts.

mctennis
05-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Great review parasailing. I hope to hear an update soon from you.

bad_call
05-02-2011, 07:58 PM
parasailing - thanks for posting the BW & B5E comparison. confirms my poly choice. :)

mikeler
05-03-2011, 06:01 AM
My assessment of Black Widow is that it offers great spin production but at the expense of power. So if you can provide all the power, then go with Black Widow. It feels as soft to me as B5E and I got at least 5 hours of play before I cut them out to try something else.

The thing I like about B5E so far is that it has power in addition to spin granted a bit less than Black Widow but I can deal with that. Even though I was able to produce more spin with Black Widow, balls would land between the service box and the baseline whereas B5E would land at the baseline.

So I just need to see how long B5E lasts. I am happy with the initial couple hours but time will tell whether this will end my poly string search. I also have WC Scorpion that I need to test out once I see how long this set lasts.

So the only reason you cut out the BW was to try out something else? It was not because of tension loss? Funny you mention that your shots with B5E tend to land close to the baseline. I'm noticing this not just on ground strokes but also on service returns.

parasailing
05-03-2011, 10:10 AM
So the only reason you cut out the BW was to try out something else? It was not because of tension loss? Funny you mention that your shots with B5E tend to land close to the baseline. I'm noticing this not just on ground strokes but also on service returns.

Yeah, I just couldn't live with hitting so many balls short and had to really put some oomph on each shot. I hope to get another few more hours this weekend with B5E to give it the stress test.

mikeler
05-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Yeah, I just couldn't live with hitting so many balls short and had to really put some oomph on each shot. I hope to get another few more hours this weekend with B5E to give it the stress test.

OK so it was a power level issue. I have mine strung at 48 on a crank machine so hopefully the power will be OK. Playing tonight with B5E/MCS just because my opponent is so tough I don't want to try something new. Thursday night I'll hopefully get a chance to play 2 sets with BW.

Boricua
05-04-2011, 11:13 AM
I played with B5E full bed for a second time and it felt softer. But, not so plush as Revenge mains/ gut crosses. I prefer the less stiff feel of the hybrid eventhough one may get a bit more control from full poly. So, Ill try a B5E hybrid and see how it compares to a Revenge hybrid.

mikeler
05-04-2011, 11:48 AM
My B5E/MCS set streak is over after playing my toughest opponent last night. I did manage to get a set off him which has only happened once in about the last 12-14 matches. We lost the court after he won the first 2 games of the 3rd set. Black Widow is on tap for tomorrow but I'm 99% sure I'm done string testing after that setup.

Power Player
05-04-2011, 12:06 PM
I have some B5e coming, some Black Magic, and Tourbite.

These are my finalists so far.

Boricua
05-04-2011, 12:08 PM

Are you using them full bed or hybrid?

Power Player
05-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Are you using them full bed or hybrid?

Full bed at 49#s.

mikeler
05-04-2011, 12:27 PM

The only similarity I found with B5E and Black Magic was their color. Everything else was good with B5E and bad with Black Magic except Black Magic felt slightly softer.

kslick
05-04-2011, 01:42 PM
For me I go between B5E and Black Magic. I just can't decide between the two. One day I love BM, one day I love B5E.

mikeler
05-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Playing tonight with the Black Widow setup. Another windy evening ahead, I'm so sick of the wind!

Boricua
05-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Playing tonight with the Black Widow setup. Another windy evening ahead, I'm so sick of the wind!

Federer thinks the same when he plays the clay season in Europe and wind comes along.:)

mikeler
05-06-2011, 07:41 AM
Played 2 sets of singles last night with Dunlop Black Widow 17 mains and Mantis Comfort Synthetic 16 crosses at 48/52. This is the softest setup I have tried to date. It is also the spinniest setup I've used in my tennis life.

Should be my new favorite right? While the spin wreaked havoc on my opponent, depth control was an issue. I don't think I had a single cross court winner off either wing. I had no confidence going for my shots. Volleys were OK. Serves and overheads were good.

I may try this setup again and bump the tension up at least 4 pounds or I may just give the string to Bad_Call to let him test it out.

Torres
05-06-2011, 08:16 AM
^ BW is springy. Mantis is softer and springier. Crank at average 50lbs is going to be mid 40s CP. 16x20. All of that makes for a powerful stringbed. Heavy, powerful racquet, open pattern....

So unless your flatten your shots or reduce your swing speed - which lets be realistic here, probably isn't going to happen any time soon, if you've already spent years grooving your stroke mechanics - then that's always going to be the way at that tension.

Would be worth trying BW full bed at that tension, in addition to upping the hybrid tension or using a stiffer cross.

Personally, I'd be looking for a control orientated string setup if I was using a PST.

JackB1
05-06-2011, 08:29 AM
Played 2 sets of singles last night with Dunlop Black Widow 17 mains and Mantis Comfort Synthetic 16 crosses at 48/52. This is the softest setup I have tried to date. It is also the spinniest setup I've used in my tennis life.

softer than even multi mains?
spinnier than even B5E?

JackB1
05-06-2011, 08:31 AM
Has anyone tried MSV's Hepta Twist?

Probably the biggest PIA to string ever! It keeps twisting and coiling around itself and the rough surface makes it hard to pull the crosses accross the mains. Not sure if I will use it again just due to the stringing difficulty.

mikeler
05-06-2011, 08:33 AM
^ BW is springy. Mantis is softer and springier. Crank at average 50lbs is going to be mid 40s CP. 16x20. All of that makes for a powerful stringbed. Heavy, powerful racquet, open pattern....

So unless your flatten your shots or reduce your swing speed - which lets be realistic here, probably isn't going to happen any time soon, if you've already spent years grooving your stroke mechanics - then that's always going to be the way at that tension.

Would be worth trying BW full bed at that tension, in addition to upping the hybrid tension or using a stiffer cross.

Personally, I'd be looking for a control orientated string setup if I was using a PST.

I'm a little leery about trying full poly. I could cross it with my other half set of MultiFeel AND up the tension. My playtesting days are almost over, I'm tired of messing with new setups when I know there is one that I play well with everytime.

junk
05-06-2011, 08:58 AM
I'm a little leery about trying full poly. I could cross it with my other half set of MultiFeel AND up the tension. My playtesting days are almost over, I'm tired of messing with new setups when I know there is one that I play well with everytime.

instead of re-reading 23 pages, can i just ask which is "the one" setup? thanks!

Power Player
05-06-2011, 08:58 AM
Has anyone tried MSV's Hepta Twist?

Probably the biggest PIA to string ever! It keeps twisting and coiling around itself and the rough surface makes it hard to pull the crosses accross the mains. Not sure if I will use it again just due to the stringing difficulty.

If a string is a PITA to string up, I agree, I'm over it. There are so many strings that we can all be superficial at this point and even narrow it down to specific colors if needed.

bad_call
05-06-2011, 09:35 AM

Should be my new favorite right? While the spin wreaked havoc on my opponent, depth control was an issue. I don't think I had a single cross court winner off either wing. I had no confidence going for my shots. Volleys were OK. Serves and overheads were good.

I may try this setup again and bump the tension up at least 4 pounds or I may just give the string to Bad_Call to let him test it out.

control/placement are the issues i've experienced with heavily textured strings...spin isn't one of them.

mikeler
05-06-2011, 10:51 AM
instead of re-reading 23 pages, can i just ask which is "the one" setup? thanks!

Weiss Cannon Black 5 Edge (B5E) 17g mains at 48 lbs. with Mantis Comfort Synthetic (MCS) 16g crosses at 52 lbs.

Boricua
05-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Weiss Cannon Black 5 Edge (B5E) 17g mains at 48 lbs. with Mantis Comfort Synthetic (MCS) 16g crosses at 52 lbs.

Ok. Whats coming next in your poly hybrid tests?:)

If you use future soft polys or copolys with MCS as crosses with the same string tension, then it is easier to compare to B5E/MCS. This, as a short term experiment I would suggest.

I say so because maybe you could be planning on changing the cross string.

:)

mikeler
05-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Not sure how much more playtesting I'll be doing.

junk
05-06-2011, 12:16 PM

thank you for the answer. i know you don't want to try full poly but i suggest you just to try it at very low tension. a couple of years ago i suffered a very bad TE and since then used poly mains multi crosses hybrids but last week i got tempted to try so i strung my YTPPro with Signum Pro Tornado in mains and Hyperion in crosses at 44/44. initially it felt quite stiff so i was switching between this setup and my other racquet which had VS nat gut in mains and tornado in crosses but the next day the full poly racquet felt very comfortable, great spin, control, wicked serves... it just felt superior to poly+multi hybrid (nat gut is a different story)

Torres
05-06-2011, 12:23 PM
My playtesting days are almost over, I'm tired of messing with new setups when I know there is one that I play well with everytime.

I'm not surprised. It would drive me nuts to test the number of strings that you have in such a short period of time with all that constant chopping and changing, with constant adjustments in tension etc.

I've spent the last 3 months testing just one string (a reel of BHBR) at different tensions across 4 BLX 6.1s and 2 weighted BLX 6.1 Teams having started off just testing it in one racquet before extending the testing to include my other frames when I realised it was a great all round string.

Can't see myself using anything else now, other than perhaps BHSR (or a blend of the two), though I doubt that I will give up occasionally trying new strings in a spare racquet. Keeps life interesting.

Boricua
05-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Not sure how much more playtesting I'll be doing.

So its the end of an Era. Did the Black Widow kill the thread?:)

Boricua
05-06-2011, 12:56 PM
thank you for the answer. i know you don't want to try full poly but i suggest you just to try it at very low tension. a couple of years ago i suffered a very bad TE and since then used poly mains multi crosses hybrids but last week i got tempted to try so i strung my YTPPro with Signum Pro Tornado in mains and Hyperion in crosses at 44/44. initially it felt quite stiff so i was switching between this setup and my other racquet which had VS nat gut in mains and tornado in crosses but the next day the full poly racquet felt very comfortable, great spin, control, wicked serves... it just felt superior to poly+multi hybrid (nat gut is a different story)

Full job feels a bit stiffer, specially when hitting outside of the sweet spot.

Boricua
05-06-2011, 01:03 PM
I'm not surprised. It would drive me nuts to test the number of strings that you have in such a short period of time with all that constant chopping and changing, with constant adjustments in tension etc.

I've spent the last 3 months testing just one string (a reel of BHBR) at different tensions across 4 BLX 6.1s and 2 weighted BLX 6.1 Teams having started off just testing it in one racquet before extending the testing to include my other frames when I realised it was a great all round string.

I agree. Tiresome and affects your game.

Not a bad idea trying a string once in a while, but when its an obligation to satisfy us beasts hunger for info, then it can get to the point of irritation.:)

mikeler
05-06-2011, 06:02 PM
I'll probably tinker with new strings in my 3rd stick. My goal with all this testing was to find a string setup that works for my game. Mission accomplished thanks to Bad_Call who even nailed the tension the first time out. For a guy that has only watched me play a little bit, that shows quite a bit of tennis knowledge.

NLBwell
05-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Hail to mikeler! You've done a great service to us all.

mikeler
05-07-2011, 04:33 AM
Hail to mikeler! You've done a great service to us all.

Thanks buddy. I'll still tinker around some but probably not every week.

parasailing
05-08-2011, 11:04 AM
No, you must keep testing new strings.:twisted: That is the hallmark of a tennis string addict.

mikeler
05-08-2011, 12:33 PM
^^^ I'm a recovering addict. ;)

fgs
05-08-2011, 12:43 PM
i think the proper and only true way to go for mikeler (thank you for your insightful reporting about your journey - i'll soon start one myself with structured polys) is to switch sticks and start all over again, to see if his findings replicate in the new formula.
get well and enjoy playing tennis.

Jeepers
05-08-2011, 12:47 PM
^^^ I'm a recovering addict. ;)

I give you two weeks ;)

mikeler
05-08-2011, 12:57 PM
i think the proper and only true way to go for mikeler (thank you for your insightful reporting about your journey - i'll soon start one myself with structured polys) is to switch sticks and start all over again, to see if his findings replicate in the new formula.
get well and enjoy playing tennis.

It would be fun to try out new sticks. :)

I give you two weeks ;)

I may try Black Widow at a higher tension, but I already said that so it is exempt from the 2 week comment.

GlenK
05-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Timing of you finding "the set up" is perfect for me. I found mine too.

VS Gut/Lux Supersense. I'm calling it the magic wand.. Unreal set up and I'm hitting shots I haven't hit in many years. Had forgotten how good nat gut is.

When the Supersense runs out going to scorpion for the x's. They are both awesome with the VS.

JackB1
05-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Timing of you finding "the set up" is perfect for me. I found mine too.

VS Gut/Lux Supersense. I'm calling it the magic wand.. Unreal set up and I'm hitting shots I haven't hit in many years. Had forgotten how good nat gut is.

When the Supersense runs out going to scorpion for the x's. They are both awesome with the VS.

What is Lux "Supersense"?? New? Is it round or sided?

sidenote: I posted a bunch of strings here f/s or trade. Check it out:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=5633730&postcount=2740

GlenK
05-10-2011, 04:57 AM

I had been using Supersense in a full bed for three years but Luxilon discontinued it. I have stocked piled about 12 sets and will now use them in the crosses. It is not a textured string but a smooth, soft poly that plays very well. Once my supply runs out and it is no longer available I'll switch the x's to Scorpion.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Luxilon_Monotec_Supersense_16L_String/descpageACWILSON-LXSS16L.html

mikeler
05-10-2011, 05:08 AM

Your link does not work.

JackB1
05-10-2011, 05:59 AM
Your link does not work.

That's because they haven't approved my post yet. It will be up this morning sometime.

JackB1
05-10-2011, 06:00 AM
I had been using Supersense in a full bed for three years but Luxilon discontinued it. I have stocked piled about 12 sets and will now use them in the crosses. It is not a textured string but a smooth, soft poly that plays very well. Once my supply runs out and it is no longer available I'll switch the x's to Scorpion.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Luxilon_Monotec_Supersense_16L_String/descpageACWILSON-LXSS16L.html

Ahhh that explains it. Thanks

Power Player
05-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Full B5E at 49 settles in at about 43#s after hitting. Control is still there.. I hope to go out and hit with it again tonight..this would be hour 3-5.

It has that pocketing feeling of BMagic that I love. It has excellent comfort and control. And it also sounds loud, which is just something I like in a string, and has no bearing on play.

BMagic will follow..I REALLY like the B5E..since Black Magic is so inexpensive, I am hoping it can hang.

The remaining traits are playability and length of playtime. What I like about the BM is that I can get a ton of hours out of it since it is so soft. I have a feeling B5E could be the same. These are lifesaving strings if you value your joints and like to hit hard.IMO.

kslick
05-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Full B5E at 49 settles in at about 43#s after hitting. Control is still there.. I hope to go out and hit with it again tonight..this would be hour 3-5.

It has that pocketing feeling of BMagic that I love. It has excellent comfort and control. And it also sounds loud, which is just something I like in a string, and has no bearing on play.

BMagic will follow..I REALLY like the B5E..since Black Magic is so inexpensive, I am hoping it can hang.

The remaining traits are playability and length of playtime. What I like about the BM is that I can get a ton of hours out of it since it is so soft. I have a feeling B5E could be the same. These are lifesaving strings if you value your joints and like to hit hard.IMO.

This is my big debate at the moment. I have a full bed of B5E in one racquet and the other BM. I'm leaning towards BM at the moment. For me it has slight better tension maintenance, my serves are more accurate and penetrating. I do get a slight more spin with B5E but not that much to really concern me. I like the feel with BM a bit more has well. BM is a lot cheaper. The one thing with BM is I've been 6-1 since using it, so those stats are hard to beat.

Kcraig
05-10-2011, 08:37 AM
I had a solid 2+hr hit with B5E/MCS at 48/52 last night. 2 good sets of doubles followed by a 45-1hr hitting/baseline session. Was really able to get into a nice groove and was able to generate some nasty penetrating spin off both wings. The 1hb slice was nice and low and the inside out fh deep to opponents backhand really opened up the court. Now have about 4hr on the setup and started to notice a couple of vulnerable areas on the MCS crosses--so I added string savers to help out on durability. Have another set of B5E coming in and will cross again with MCS at same tension and also will use one set in a Gut Mains/B5E setup---thinking of tension 56/53.

Power Player
05-10-2011, 08:47 AM
This is my big debate at the moment. I have a full bed of B5E in one racquet and the other BM. I'm leaning towards BM at the moment. For me it has slight better tension maintenance, my serves are more accurate and penetrating. I do get a slight more spin with B5E but not that much to really concern me. I like the feel with BM a bit more has well. BM is a lot cheaper. The one thing with BM is I've been 6-1 since using it, so those stats are hard to beat.

I hope I am right there with you. I love saving money on gear, and personally think the BM is the best bang for the buck when it comes to soft polys with feel.

volleygirl
05-10-2011, 09:31 AM
I went from a prestige strung at 58 with a hybrid to a prestige in the 40s full poly. I strongly reccomend an hour or 2 of hitting before matchplay or you will have no confidence because you have to get used to the ball trajectory. Once you get used to it, you will flip out at how much pace and spin you can hit with. I am talking heavy balls that appear to gain speed off the bounce and will kick forward and to the side, instead of just kicking straight up.

I watched a lot of the FYB HD practice vids and saw Safin just going all out and ripping the ball like this and was blown away. He was hitting super heavy shots that had this action. He strings a lot higher since he is huge and one of the greats, and has fresh strung sticks at his disposal. I did not think that type of action on the ball was possible for a mere mortal, but once I hit with the BM strung lower, I saw a dramatic change.

A week later, I feel kind of weird when I switch to the prestige that is strung tighter. It is very easy to control still, but my confidence level has changed to where the lower tension is now what I am prefering.

May be a little different in the pstgt, since I had trouble with lower tensions in it due to it's power level.

If my racquet recommends to be strung at 55-65, if I use a poly should I go way under that?

mikeler
05-10-2011, 10:05 AM
If my racquet recommends to be strung at 55-65, if I use a poly should I go way under that?

I would not hesitate to go below the minimum tension listed on the racket but that is just me.

mikeler
05-10-2011, 10:07 AM
I'm really surprised how many people like Black Magic. Guess I should have tried it at a higher tension because I had problems with control.

Boricua
05-10-2011, 10:09 AM

I would say yes...try 48 first.:)

billsgwn
05-10-2011, 10:34 AM

Mikeler,

I was in Ft Walton Beach to play in the Fudpuckers beach volleyball tourney during the end of April and it sure was windy. The one day it wasnt I also played some tennis at a very nice facility. Is that anywhere near where you are?

Have you ever tried either of these strings?
1. Head Sonic Pro 16
2. Wilson Hollow Core 16

mikeler
05-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Mikeler,

I was in Ft Walton Beach to play in the Fudpuckers beach volleyball tourney during the end of April and it sure was windy. The one day it wasnt I also played some tennis at a very nice facility. Is that anywhere near where you are?

Have you ever tried either of these strings?
1. Head Sonic Pro 16
2. Wilson Hollow Core 16

That is only about 425 miles away from where I live. Do you consider that far? :)

I have not tried either of those strings you listed. Two guys I play with use the Head Sonic Pro and like it.

billsgwn
05-10-2011, 11:33 AM
That is only about 425 miles away from where I live. Do you consider that far? :)

I have not tried either of those strings you listed. Two guys I play with use the Head Sonic Pro and like it.

425 is just a little closer than I actually am.

Uvijek Argen
05-10-2011, 11:49 AM
I'm really surprised how many people like Black Magic. Guess I should have tried it at a higher tension because I had problems with control.

Hello M,

Do you remember the Finland kid that won the OTC open in 2009(Juho Paukku)? He won that tournament with BM. Pretty impressive eh? The kid is sponsor by them for awhile now. To bad he didn't came this last year.

mikeler
05-10-2011, 11:51 AM
Hello M,

Do you remember the Finland kid that won the OTC open in 2009(Juho Paukku)? He won that tournament with BM. Pretty impressive eh? The kid is sponsor by them for awhile now. To bad he didn't came this last year.

He'd be playing on the real tour had he been using B5E. :)

mikeler
05-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Anybody seen the latest GG blog entry on low tension with polys? It's pretty good.

bad_call
05-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Hello M,

recall he used a head speed stick with black string. he hit fairly flat and not much spin at all.

Power Player
05-10-2011, 12:35 PM

You can ..what kind of racquet?

kslick
05-10-2011, 09:00 PM
So the debate continues. Played a match tonight started with BM. Lost the first set. I definitely wasn't on and i was playing a little tentative. So at the start of the second I pulled out B5E and won the next two sets pretty easily. I like the way BM feels but i felt like i didn't have a lot of control. I have it strung at 48. With the B5E i was able to carve my shots and the control was there. It's strung at 45. I'm just not a fan how B5E sounds coming of my racquet but i guess it's something i could get use to. I'll keep trying the two out and see, might up the tension on the BM and see but right now I felt really good with B5E and it's control and the way I was moving the ball around.

Power Player
05-10-2011, 09:34 PM
The BM setup I had that was really working was 52 in a prestige. I will say that tonight with the b5e I hit very consistent, and could throw incredibly heavy spin on the ball when I needed as well.