PDA

View Full Version : Mikeler's Polys

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

kslick
05-10-2011, 08:40 PM
The BM setup I had that was really working was 52 in a prestige. I will say that tonight with the b5e I hit very consistent, and could throw incredibly heavy spin on the ball when I needed as well.

So when it comes to low tensions do only certain ploys work best at really low tensions (like b5e) and others work better at little higher (like BM).

Power Player
05-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Yes..but you can still keep BM at 52 and be good. They all drop tension, so it will play at 45 or so.

mikeler
05-11-2011, 04:29 AM
So the debate continues. Played a match tonight started with BM. Lost the first set. I definitely wasn't on and i was playing a little tentative. So at the start of the second I pulled out B5E and won the next two sets pretty easily. I like the way BM feels but i felt like i didn't have a lot of control. I have it strung at 48. With the B5E i was able to carve my shots and the control was there. It's strung at 45. I'm just not a fan how B5E sounds coming of my racquet but i guess it's something i could get use to. I'll keep trying the two out and see, might up the tension on the BM and see but right now I felt really good with B5E and it's control and the way I was moving the ball around.

That is exactly the way I felt about BM. It feels great but I just did not have enough control with it.

mikeler
05-11-2011, 04:31 AM
I played last night with B5E/MCS. Even though I did not play well, I got a few lucky breaks in both sets and was able to pull it out. The weather here is very hot which is perfect for my shoulder. Had several aces last night which has not happened for months.

kslick
05-11-2011, 05:52 AM
That is exactly the way I felt about BM. It feels great but I just did not have enough control with it.

This was the first time I've strung BM so low, usually I string it at 54 or 52 since its so soft and comfortable. I'm thinking you can't string it like B5E. I read that blog from Guts and Glory about low tension ploys. I do think they are talking about certain string. Because the example they gave with a student, they stated that they hadn't tested that certain poly at low tension.

mikeler
05-11-2011, 06:21 AM
This was the first time I've strung BM so low, usually I string it at 54 or 52 since its so soft and comfortable. I'm thinking you can't string it like B5E. I read that blog from Guts and Glory about low tension ploys. I do think they are talking about certain string. Because the example they gave with a student, they stated that they hadn't tested that certain poly at low tension.

I would agree. BM and BW are soft enough that I'm guessing stringing in the 50s would make these play a little bit better.

Power Player
05-11-2011, 07:20 AM

Yeah man..you have to remember the tension will drop as well. Usually 6-7 pounds from the tension you stung at. So most people who say they are playing at 52#s, are really at 45 or so after an hour of hitting. With that in mind, the BM dropping from 53 to 46 was awesome for me.

WC is making strings that you can string up under 52#s, have them to drop to the low 40s and still play fine. That is what I have noticed with the B5e, but I still think I would rather have it a little tighter at 52 off the stringer next time.

The b5e was fine though last night at 43..I hit very consistently, and my practice partner apologized after a while for mishitting. That has been me many times, so to be able to maintain rallys right down the middle at will almost was a nice feeling that I must have when I try a string. I could also hit angled winners that bounced out wide off the court from his service box, and that is one of the tougher control shots I like to hit.

sberman51
05-11-2011, 08:14 AM
Has anyone tried Mantis Comfort Poly, Mantis Power Poly, Kirschbaum Pro Line II, or Prince Beast XP/361Nation? How do they compare (especially in the mains of a hybrid)?
Thanks!

kslick
05-11-2011, 08:16 AM
Has anyone tried Mantis Comfort Poly, Mantis Power Poly, Kirschbaum Pro Line II, or Prince Beast XP/361Nation? How do they compare (especially in the mains of a hybrid)?
Thanks!

I tried Pro Line II. It was great at first and went south pretty fast and become a rocket launcher.

jazar
05-11-2011, 08:24 AM
Thanks!

I've tried all those stings.

I really hated Mantis Comfort Poly. It lacked control and spin, and had far too many vibrations in the upper hoop. Haven't tried it in a hybrid, nor would I, as I feel it is too thick for the mains.

Mantis Power Poly, on the other hand, is a string I really like. It's crisp, with great control and good spin. I think it would work well on the mains of a hybrid.

Kirschbaum Pro Line II I have used in a full bed and in a hybrid (pre-packaged Hybrix Power). Overall I though it was a solid string all round; though I have to say on the two occasions where I have used Hybrix Power nothing really jumped out at me as being special about it.

Beast/361 Nation is another string I like. I've only tried the 1.25 gauge and found it to be very comfortable with good control. When I tried it I did a direct comparison with ALU Power, and Beast felt much better, with a larger sweetspot.

fgs
05-11-2011, 08:38 AM
jazar,
what stick did you try the mantis comfort poly in?
i played it in a 18x19 nblade 106 and it was one of the very few 1.30mm strings that was playable. i can see it doing quite a good job in a 16x19 pattern (95-100 headsize) for flat hitters or superpower-baseliners (i mean the guys and girls going to the futures).
will give it another go in my new sticks sometime soon, as i switched to 16x19.

jazar
05-11-2011, 09:17 AM
I tried it in one of my i.prestiges. I also tried it in a Radical Pro and found it even worse. I would rate it as the worst poly I've ever tried (and I've tried a lot!).

sberman51
05-11-2011, 09:30 AM
I've tried all those stings.

I really hated Mantis Comfort Poly. It lacked control and spin, and had far too many vibrations in the upper hoop. Haven't tried it in a hybrid, nor would I, as I feel it is too thick for the mains.

Mantis Power Poly, on the other hand, is a string I really like. It's crisp, with great control and good spin. I think it would work well on the mains of a hybrid.

Kirschbaum Pro Line II I have used in a full bed and in a hybrid (pre-packaged Hybrix Power). Overall I though it was a solid string all round; though I have to say on the two occasions where I have used Hybrix Power nothing really jumped out at me as being special about it.

Beast/361 Nation is another string I like. I've only tried the 1.25 gauge and found it to be very comfortable with good control. When I tried it I did a direct comparison with ALU Power, and Beast felt much better, with a larger sweetspot.

Thanks! That narrows it down to three :)

Could you please fill this out for me comparing the remaining 3 strings? (All but Comfort Poly)

Which is better in the following aspects:

Feel:
Control:
Spin:
Power Quality:
Arm-Friendly:
Tension Maintenance:
Pin-Point Precision:
Durability:

Thanks in advance!

mikeler
05-11-2011, 09:42 AM
KCraig just alerted me to the fact that TW is now selling B5E. Says they only have 2 packs available????? I just sent him my other half set of Black Widow and MultiFeel. He owes us a review after hitting with it. :)

Kcraig
05-11-2011, 10:57 AM
KCraig just alerted me to the fact that TW is now selling B5E. Says they only have 2 packs available????? I just sent him my other half set of Black Widow and MultiFeel. He owes us a review after hitting with it. :)

Anyone interested--I have a 1/2 set of BW and MF for sale in a few days---JUST KIDDING!!:razz: Will get it strung up in the near future. Thanks Mikeler!!!!!

mikeler
05-11-2011, 11:20 AM
Anyone interested--I have a 1/2 set of BW and MF for sale in a few days---JUST KIDDING!!:razz: Will get it strung up in the near future. Thanks Mikeler!!!!!

Haha, good one. :)

Boricua
05-11-2011, 12:36 PM
In terms of 1-10, how would B5E/MCS rate in comparison to Multifeel, XCEL and NXT Control in terms of softness and control?

I guess this post is a mix of Mikelers Polys and Multis

:)

jazar
05-12-2011, 12:02 AM
Thanks! That narrows it down to three :)

Could you please fill this out for me comparing the remaining 3 strings? (All but Comfort Poly)

Which is better in the following aspects:

Feel: Prince Beast
Control: Mantis Power Poly
Spin: Not a huge difference between them; spin comes mainly from technique
Power Quality: Beast had the most natural power, but Power Poly had more control allowing me to hit with more power
Arm-Friendly: Didn't find much difference between them
Tension Maintenance: I only use strings for two sessions and none of them jumped out as holding tension better
Pin-Point Precision: Power Poly
Durability: Can't comment as I cut my strings after two sessions

Thanks in advance!

Here you go ^^^.

sberman51
05-12-2011, 03:45 AM
Here you go ^^^.

Thanks, just what I was looking for :).
I'm surprised that the Pro Line II didn't win in any categories.
Is it that bad?
Thanks!

fgs
05-12-2011, 04:52 AM
i don't know the iprestige but i've hit a few with the radical pro. as i hit in the upper third of the stick (coming from wood and obviously never adjusted), the pro was having really nasty vibes in spite of the "civil" stiffness rating of the frame.
i know some juniors who tried the comfort poly in the apd and strung around 22kg quite liked it. i can't say i enjoyed it in my nblades but i'll give it another shot in my new 16mains sticks as soon as i will have balanced them properly.
the power poly is a better bang for the buck anyway, as the price difference is rather small and durability is not so far apart, at least for me.

mikeler
05-12-2011, 07:26 AM
In terms of 1-10, how would B5E/MCS rate in comparison to Multifeel, XCEL and NXT Control in terms of softness and control?

Control B5E/MCS is a 9, spin is a 10. Those other strings are an 8 for control. No poly hybrid is as soft as those 3 strings in a full bed.

jazar
05-12-2011, 07:33 AM
Thanks, just what I was looking for :).
I'm surprised that the Pro Line II didn't win in any categories.
Is it that bad?
Thanks!

PLII isn't bad in my opinion. I would use it again; I just haven't found it to be special when I've hit with it; it's simply average.

Kcraig
05-12-2011, 09:11 AM

Are you asking how these multis feel in a full bed compared to B5E/MCS combo. If so, my experience so far with B5E/MCS at 48/52 feels softer than the following full bed multis all strung up from 56 - 58lbs:

Multifeel, X1, NRG, RIP Control, Intellitour, Xcel Power.

It does NOT feel quite as soft as full bed of Xcel Prem, MCS, Explosiv-but these in my opinion are the soft of the soft!!

Thinking back--the B5E/MCS setup feels just as soft as the Babolat prepkged hybrid of VS/Syn Gut OR Pacific Tgh Gut/Supex Titan--both at 56. The main difference between the B5E setup over the gut/syn gut is there is a HUGE amount of differnce in spin--NOT EVEN CLOSE:
B5E/MCS=9/10 on spin (dont think I would ever want to go to 10/10 as I like the ability to flatten out the ball when need be and this fits the bill to a T)
Gut/syn gut: 6/10
Full Multi: 7/10

Boricua
05-12-2011, 09:30 AM
Control B5E/MCS is a 9, spin is a 10. Those other strings are an 8 for control. No poly hybrid is as soft as those 3 strings in a full bed.

Ok. In a 1-10 scale:

1-So, how would B5E/mcs rate in comfort? I guess 8.
2-other strings in spin? I guess 8.
3-other strings in comfort-I guess 9 or 10

Did I guess right?:)

Boricua
05-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Are you asking how these multis feel in a full bed compared to B5E/MCS combo. If so, my experience so far with B5E/MCS at 48/52 feels softer than the following full bed multis all strung up from 56 - 58lbs:

It does NOT feel quite as soft as full bed of Xcel Prem, MCS, Explosiv-but these in my opinion are the soft of the soft!!

Thinking back--the B5E/MCS setup feels just as soft as the Babolat prepkged hybrid of VS/Syn Gut OR Pacific Tgh Gut/Supex Titan--both at 56. The main difference between the B5E setup over the gut/syn gut is there is a HUGE amount of differnce in spin--NOT EVEN CLOSE:
B5E/MCS=9/10 on spin (dont think I would ever want to go to 10/10 as I like the ability to flatten out the ball when need be and this fits the bill to a T)

Just saw you thougts.. Sounds interesting.

Just wondering how B5E would feel with VS gut cross, with the right racket. I say this because I tried this combo in a APD Gt and still was stiff. Nonetheless B5E/gut is too expensive to use it as a regular setup.

Will try B5E/MCS with a new Volkl Organix 8 (that I bought) which is a more arm friendly racket and see how it goes. Wont be able to this until next week as the racket is out of stock.

Meanwhile, Ill stay patient and use my Yonex VCORE 100 with Multifeel or the APD GT, that is strung with VS black gut mains/B5E crosses.

Boricua
05-12-2011, 09:47 AM

What racket do you use?

Kcraig
05-12-2011, 10:00 AM
What racket do you use?

I use a Prince Diablo MP modified wtih 5g at 9.5/2.5 position and some under grip to get total static weight to 338g/11.9oz. Have demoed over 20+ frames and just always always keep coming back to this one. Just picked up 2 more off the bay while they are still out and the QC is a little suspect--but I'll just have to deal with it.

As for B5E/gut crosses, i would vote no. I think gut in the crosses, albeit soft, will last forever, and although B5E has nice tension maintence qualities, it is still a poly and will go dead/lose playability around the 10+ hr mark while the super expensive gut cross is still doing great.

I know I will get "hammered" for saying this.......but I am just NOT a fan of VS. I have only tried it as a VS/bab syn gut setup and for me it did NOT feel soft and had a solid 1+hr "break in" period. The softest/best gut in my limited experience/opinion is Pacific Tough Gut 16L. Just wonderful stuff!!

With that said--this current setup of B5E/MCS is even making me second guess my past GOAT setup of gut mains/poly crosses. I was planning (and probably still will) on having a frame strung with Pacigic Tgh Gut/B5E to test, but am so happy with the B5E/MCS I'm debating if the extra expense is worth it--especially in the hot/humid conditions we have in the Southeast.

Boricua
05-12-2011, 10:29 AM
I use a Prince Diablo MP modified wtih 5g at 9.5/2.5 position and some under grip to get total static weight to 338g/11.9oz. Have demoed over 20+ frames and just always always keep coming back to this one. Just picked up 2 more off the bay while they are still out and the QC is a little suspect--but I'll just have to deal with it.

As for B5E/gut crosses, i would vote no. I think gut in the crosses, albeit soft, will last forever, and although B5E has nice tension maintence qualities, it is still a poly and will go dead/lose playability around the 10+ hr mark while the super expensive gut cross is still doing great.

I know I will get "hammered" for saying this.......but I am just NOT a fan of VS. I have only tried it as a VS/bab syn gut setup and for me it did NOT feel soft and had a solid 1+hr "break in" period. The softest/best gut in my limited experience/opinion is Pacific Tough Gut 16L. Just wonderful stuff!!

With that said--this current setup of B5E/MCS is even making me second guess my past GOAT setup of gut mains/poly crosses. I was planning (and probably still will) on having a frame strung with Pacigic Tgh Gut/B5E to test, but am so happy with the B5E/MCS I'm debating if the extra expense is worth it--especially in the hot/humid conditions we have in the Southeast.

I also live in hot humid weather and that is a consideration, besides the cost.

But, comparing B5E/gut (VS) and Gut(VS Black BT7 technology)/B5E, I would say that there is a noticeable difference in terms of feel. The VS Blackgut/B5E was softer. But, as I said, this was comparison was using a APDGt, which I find too stiff. With a more arm friendly racket, X8 for instance, the copoly main (B5E) and multi cross (MCS) could be sufficient.

Kcraig
05-12-2011, 11:27 AM
I also live in hot humid weather and that is a consideration, besides the cost.

But, comparing B5E/gut (VS) and Gut(VS Black BT7 technology)/B5E, I would say that there is a noticeable difference in terms of feel. The VS Blackgut/B5E was softer. But, as I said, this was comparison was using a APDGt, which I find too stiff. With a more arm friendly racket, X8 for instance, the copoly main (B5E) and multi cross (MCS) could be sufficient.

Yes--my frame is a 63 flex with lead in the hoop area which helps soften even more. A friend of mine has a APDGT and I finally got him to add a little lead around 10/2 (6g) and it softens up the frame a good bit and it solved his shoulder soreness as well. Note: he is a solid 5.5 and can handle the extra beefed up swingweight.

Boricua
05-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Yes--my frame is a 63 flex with lead in the hoop area which helps soften even more. A friend of mine has a APDGT and I finally got him to add a little lead around 10/2 (6g) and it softens up the frame a good bit and it solved his shoulder soreness as well. Note: he is a solid 5.5 and can handle the extra beefed up swingweight.

I hope the Volkl Organix 8 does the job for me.:)

sberman51
05-12-2011, 12:44 PM
PLII isn't bad in my opinion. I would use it again; I just haven't found it to be special when I've hit with it; it's simply average.

Hm, well the most expensive one is only average... that sorts it out to 2!

I'm a solid 5.0-5.5 on the NTRP scale, and I Love spin and control. I also like it pretty low powered and with a lot of feel. Which of the following hybrids should I choose?

Prince Beast XP 17/Mantis Comfort Synthetic 16
Prince Beast XP 17/Mantis Power Synthetic 17
Mantis Power Poly 17/Mantis Comfort Synthetic 16
Mantis Power Poly 17/Mantis Power Synthetic 17

Thanks!

(This Post Made Me A Rookie!!! :))

mikeler
05-12-2011, 12:50 PM

Of the strings I've used in this post, I agree with your assessments on them.

jazar
05-13-2011, 12:30 AM
Hm, well the most expensive one is only average... that sorts it out to 2!

I'm a solid 5.0-5.5 on the NTRP scale, and I Love spin and control. I also like it pretty low powered and with a lot of feel. Which of the following hybrids should I choose?

Prince Beast XP 17/Mantis Comfort Synthetic 16
Prince Beast XP 17/Mantis Power Synthetic 17
Mantis Power Poly 17/Mantis Comfort Synthetic 16

Thanks!

(This Post Made Me A Rookie!!! :))

I would go for Power Poly and Comfort Synthetic. Power Poly is nice and low powered but doesn't really compromise on feel. You have a nice gauge differential and a slightly slippery cross string, so you should get good access to spin.

fgs
05-13-2011, 02:42 AM
yes indeed, the mantis power poly in the mains and the comfort syn in the crosses plays like heaven (NO KIDDING!!!).
best hybrid i played so far (and i've played a few). i played it in a 106sq.inch frame with 18x19 pattern. i'll give it a go in my new sticks too, but since it's a 16x19 i'm afraid i'm getting into durability issues. we'll see.

Boricua
05-13-2011, 12:21 PM
Has anyone tried Mantis Comfort Poly with Mantis Comfort Synthetic at low tension, maybe 47/51, aprox?

Sounds like a soft feeling combination. Also flashy, due to the bright yellow poly.:)

fgs
05-13-2011, 12:40 PM
i played that combination with the comfort poly strung in the mains at 51 lbs and the comfort syn in the crosses at 50lbs on the nblades 106 with 18mains. plays comfortable but you really have to whack that ball in order to have something going on. good control nevertheless.
i'd much better see it in a 16mains stick. plays nice, but the power poly simply is better in every aspect for just a little bit more money.

Power Player
05-13-2011, 12:59 PM
I hit with BCall's Comfort Synthetic hybrid and really liked the string. If I go to a hybrid, this could be my route as well. Only thing is it's a little pricey for a cross, and I may cheap out and stick with syn gut..lol.

mikeler
05-13-2011, 01:34 PM
I hit with BCall's Comfort Synthetic hybrid and really liked the string. If I go to a hybrid, this could be my route as well. Only thing is it's a little pricey for a cross, and I may cheap out and stick with syn gut..lol.

$90/reel for MCS. $2.65 per cross for me, not bad.

Power Player
05-13-2011, 01:51 PM

Its actually not that bad, I agree.

Seems like a money setup. I have some Black Mamba I am going to compare to the B5e.

mikeler
05-13-2011, 01:53 PM
Its actually not that bad, I agree.

Seems like a money setup. I have some Black Mamba I am going to compare to the B5e.

That was with B5E mains right? If so, Bad_Call needs to start getting paid by B5E and I deserve something from Mantis. :)

Boricua
05-13-2011, 04:46 PM

Ive never bought a reel of anything. How many string jobs you get if using MCS as cross?

COPEY
05-13-2011, 04:49 PM
You can get approx 34 string jobs from a reel if you're just using it as a cross string.

sberman51
05-13-2011, 05:00 PM
I am using a Wilson BLX Pro Open; 53-63; 16x19; 11.1 oz strung; 7 Points HL;

I like high control, precision, and spin with low-power and arm-friendly, but "crispy," if you know what I mean.

Tension recommendations for these setups? (53-63)(Open-string pattern)

Mantis Comfort Poly 16/Mantis Comfort Synthetic 16 ?lbs/?lbs
Mantis Comfort Poly 16/Mantis Power Synthetic 17 ?lbs/?lbs
Mantis Power Poly 17/Mantis Comfort Synthetic16 ?lbs/?lbs
Mantis Power Poly 17/Mantis Power Synthetic 17 ?lbs/?lbs

Thanks!

Also, if you can, please rate these setups in order of which you like best (1= best; 4= worst)

Thanks in advance!

Kcraig
05-13-2011, 06:18 PM
I am using a Wilson BLX Pro Open; 53-63; 16x19; 11.1 oz strung; 7 Points HL;

I like high control, precision, and spin with low-power and arm-friendly, but "crispy," if you know what I mean.

Tension recommendations for these setups? (53-63)(Open-string pattern)

Mantis Comfort Poly 16/Mantis Comfort Synthetic 16 ?lbs/?lbs
Mantis Comfort Poly 16/Mantis Power Synthetic 17 ?lbs/?lbs
Mantis Power Poly 17/Mantis Comfort Synthetic16 ?lbs/?lbs
Mantis Power Poly 17/Mantis Power Synthetic 17 ?lbs/?lbs

Thanks!

Also, if you can, please rate these setups in order of which you like best (1= best; 4= worst)

Thanks in advance!

I had that same frame last year and I would recommend going with 53/56 on a quality constant pull/electric machine or maybe 55/58 on a crank with the
the poly mains setups. It is a pretty stiff frame, and I softened and added some needed stability with about 5g of lead around 3/9

mikeler
05-14-2011, 04:11 AM
You can get approx 34 string jobs from a reel if you're just using it as a cross string.

This is true for my racket.

COPEY
05-14-2011, 05:27 AM
It's true for quite a few racquets. ;-)

sberman51
05-14-2011, 06:52 AM
I had that same frame last year and I would recommend going with 53/56 on a quality constant pull/electric machine or maybe 55/58 on a crank with the
the poly mains setups. It is a pretty stiff frame, and I softened and added some needed stability with about 5g of lead around 3/9

Thanks! I'm considering using lead tape, and now I know where! :-D

For that frame, which setup(s) would you recommend?

Mantis Comfort Poly 16/Mantis Comfort Synthetic 16
Mantis Comfort Poly 16/Mantis Power Synthetic 17
Mantis Power Poly 17/Mantis Comfort Synthetic16

Thanks!

Matchball
05-14-2011, 07:47 AM
Sberman51, I would like to know your opinion on cross strings. With whatever string used as mains, do you prefer same, smaller or larger gauge at the crosses..?

sberman51
05-14-2011, 08:15 AM
Sberman51, I would like to know your opinion on cross strings. With whatever string used as mains, do you prefer same, smaller or larger gauge at the crosses..?

To tell you the truth, I'm not so sure yet. I know that people say to use a thinner crosses and thicker mains, because the crosses "saw into the mains." I don't feel like that's right. In a poly/multi(or syn) hybrid, the mains are more durable. Recently, I was testing a hybrid with 17 mains and 16 crosses. The crosses look like they will break first. Though, since I will be buying reels of the hybrid that I like, I don't really care much about durability. One of the hardest things to do though, is cut out quality mains still in good condition, just because the crosses broke. :cry: I really just have to see what works best. I think I am kind of leading in the direction of MCS, though it is in 16. I still want opinions, because I am still not sure. Especially with the polys for the mains.

I'm sorry that I couldn't exactly answer your question. At the moment, I am not so sure! Did the best I could, though! :smile:

mikeler
05-14-2011, 08:31 AM
It's true for quite a few racquets. ;-)

You may be able to get 35 with MCS if you do just under 19' each time. It is so stretchy it would work.

Matchball
05-14-2011, 08:42 AM
To tell you the truth, I'm not so sure yet. I know that people say to use a thinner crosses and thicker mains, because the crosses "saw into the mains." I don't feel like that's right. In a poly/multi(or syn) hybrid, the mains are more durable. Recently, I was testing a hybrid with 17 mains and 16 crosses. The crosses look like they will break first. Though, since I will be buying reels of the hybrid that I like, I don't really care much about durability. One of the hardest things to do though, is cut out quality mains still in good condition, just because the crosses broke. :cry: I really just have to see what works best. I think I am kind of leading in the direction of MCS, though it is in 16. I still want opinions, because I am still not sure. Especially with the polys for the mains.

I'm sorry that I couldn't exactly answer your question. At the moment, I am not so sure! Did the best I could, though! :smile:

For some reason I tend to prefer thicker/higher gauge for crosses. I do know that theory states thinner gauge for hybrids (maybe for the same type of strings!). I go with higher gauge especially when the crosses string is considerably softer, for the exact same reason I also string approx. 2 lbs higher.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Cheers !

Power Player
05-14-2011, 09:00 AM
Does the penta shape of b5e saw through the crosses at all, or no issue there?

mikeler
05-14-2011, 09:12 AM
Does the penta shape of b5e saw through the crosses at all, or no issue there?

I got almost 14 sets of singles with B5E/MCS and the MCS was hanging by a thread so I cut it out.

Power Player
05-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Wow..14 sets? Thats awesome. One day if you can try a full bed of B5E on a spare racquet I'd love to see if you notice a difference in control or spin.

mikeler
05-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Wow..14 sets? Thats awesome. One day if you can try a full bed of B5E on a spare racquet I'd love to see if you notice a difference in control or spin.

My arm is so sensitive I don't want to risk it. I'm happy my arm can handle a poly hybrid.

Power Player
05-15-2011, 06:33 PM
My full bed of B5e MAY be dying at hour 11. It has been a nice ride..I have another stick coming soon, so I will let it ride another session and see how long I can use it. Tension has held after dropping 7 pounds to 42 initially.

alidisperanza
05-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Holy cow... I waded through the first 7 pages of this thread hoping to find more insight on TourBite and B5E... Stupid me... these are the TW forums, we don't actually discuss relevant things here.

Anyways-- Mikeler, Keep up the good work. What I did find on B5E was appreciated

alidisperanza
05-15-2011, 07:55 PM

Interesting thoughts-- I think it really depends on the string. I'm typically a cross breaker but I found the reverse with my testing of the Black Widow/ OGSM hybrids. I popped 3 frames all in exactly the same spot, on the mains. Although both strings were 17g, I found the mains to be all but destroyed *notched* and the crosses to be in disappointingly good shape-- Now correct me if I'm wrong but OGSM Natural is really, really, rather soft in the hands....*puzzled*

parasailing
05-15-2011, 09:19 PM

More if you string a small frame size like a KPS 88. I think you can get about 37 string jobs. I know when I string up the KPS 88 full set, I use about 33 feet total with about a foot and half to spare giving you about 20 full string jobs.

parasailing
05-15-2011, 09:22 PM
My full bed of B5e MAY be dying at hour 11. It has been a nice ride..I have another stick coming soon, so I will let it ride another session and see how long I can use it. Tension has held after dropping 7 pounds to 42 initially.

Mines felt dead about 8 hours and no longer has the great feel and spin so time to cut them up and move on to the next great string which is ???

sberman51
05-16-2011, 03:15 AM
Does anyone know the benefits/downsides of using full-bed polys instead of hybrids, and vice/versa?

fgs
05-16-2011, 03:31 AM
a full bed, even of soft co-polys, will give a stiffer stringbed. hybrids are used to soften up the stringbed and provide a little bit more touch, desperately needed on slices, drop-shots but most important volleys (in my humble opinion).
as funny as it seems, i get more hitting hours when playing hybrids (few exceptions, multifeel broke after only three hours, mcs goes down in six, etc.). full bed syngut or multi lasts max. 3-4 hours, full poly (round ones!, not shaped or rough) last anywhere between 6-8 if they don't break on a mishit earlier (a thing that happened only once in hybrids, but more often in full poly with me), while on the hybrids i've played, crosses having been wilson sensation 1.25, isospeed professional (new) 1.20, mantis power syn 1.25, i got more than 8 hitting hours, mps topping around 12!
while i heavily rely on topspin in my game and therefore i DO NEED poly in the mains, i also play dropshots and slices in order to vary the pace and get my opponents off-balance, so I DO NEED the softer stringbed and the inherent touch provided by a hybrid.
everything depends on your game style and your perception of feel. i have seen players playing superb droppers with full poly strung in the high 60' (28-30kg). i wouldn't be able anymore to get a decent ball over the net with such a setup. in my junior years nevertheless i played wooden sticks (the stiff, by the standards of those times donnay borg pro) strung up with natty gut as high as 32kg mains and 30kg crosses - and i was hitting slices and droppers with that as well. i wouldn't be able to do it today. does that mean that high tensions are bad. definitely not in general, but definitely sure for me.
i keep repeating myself - the string set-up is something very personal. just think of the following fact: you go to a restaurant and order a soup. for some it will be served steaming and they start at it right away, other will have to wait for a little bit for the soup to cool down until they can start eating. it's just the same with strings and with a lot of other things in life as well.:)

mikeler
05-16-2011, 04:27 AM
Mines felt dead about 8 hours and no longer has the great feel and spin so time to cut them up and move on to the next great string which is ???

Was that a full bed? I'll be getting close to the 8 hour mark when I play tomorrow with my hybrid. It will be interesting to see if it plays well until breakage again.

alidisperanza
05-16-2011, 06:17 AM
More if you string a small frame size like a KPS 88. I think you can get about 37 string jobs. I know when I string up the KPS 88 full set, I use about 33 feet total with about a foot and half to spare giving you about 20 full string jobs.

It depends on how stretchy the string is and whether you have starting clamps or not. I'm getting an avg of 18 full sets of string per reel. For stretchy stuff like OGSM moreso. Stringing on mid size frames one can pull 19 full sets easy

parasailing
05-16-2011, 08:34 AM
Was that a full bed? I'll be getting close to the 8 hour mark when I play tomorrow with my hybrid. It will be interesting to see if it plays well until breakage again.

Yeah it was a full bed. It just started to lose that initial great soft feel but at least I know it's probably one of the better copolys out there that offer good spin, relatively soft on the arm, and decent power.

mikeler
05-16-2011, 08:39 AM
Yeah it was a full bed. It just started to lose that initial great soft feel but at least I know it's probably one of the better copolys out there that offer good spin, relatively soft on the arm, and decent power.

You probably already mentioned it but did you string it low?

sberman51
05-16-2011, 09:00 AM
Should I try the Mantis Power Poly in a full setup, or as a hybrid? If hybrid, with MCS or MPS?
Is it soft in a full-bed? Can anyone compare it with another string?

mikeler
05-16-2011, 09:06 AM
Should I try the Mantis Power Poly in a full setup, or as a hybrid? If hybrid, with MCS or MPS?
Is it soft in a full-bed? Can anyone compare it with another string?

Seriously, you need to just buy some strings and stop thinking about it! In the words of Béla Károlyi: "You can do it!"

Boricua
05-16-2011, 09:17 AM
Seriously, you need to just buy some strings and stop thinking about it! In the words of Béla Károlyi: "You can do it!"

Well, hearing Belas words worked out for Mary Lu Retton, the gymnast dynamo:)

Boricua
05-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Not considering cost, and considering tension maintenance, durability, comfort and feel, how would you rate Mantis Comfort Synthetic and Babolat Excel Premium as a cross string in a scale of 1-10?
Any other comments concerning the question will be appreciated.:)

mikeler
05-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Not considering cost, and considering tension maintenance, durability, comfort and feel, how would you rate Mantis Comfort Synthetic and Babolat Excel Premium as a cross string in a scale of 1-10?

Never tried Xcel premium as a cross so I can't really comment on your question. I did like Xcel more than MCS in a full job but not enough to justify such a large price difference.

Kcraig
05-16-2011, 12:10 PM

IF cost was not an option, then I would def choose Bab Xcel Prem over MCS as cross--mainly due to durability and less string movement.

Boricua
05-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Never tried Xcel premium as a cross so I can't really comment on your question. I did like Xcel more than MCS in a full job but not enough to justify such a large price difference.

As you said in an earlier comment, could be an option for us non-stringers.:)

mikeler
05-16-2011, 01:54 PM
As you said in an earlier comment, could be an option for us non-stringers.:)

As a full job yes. I suspect as a cross the difference between the two is slight.

sberman51
05-16-2011, 02:11 PM

I want to, but I'm in a little predicament, and am not sure what to do. Here it is:

I think I want to try to use two of them in a hybrid, or one as a full setup, and have some pretty good offers for reels. I am expecting a set of each of their strings in about 3 days. I don't have much time to try them out before making a decision, because the good offers for the reels keep running out of stock and I don't want to choose the wrong string and be stuck with it, yet I don't want to miss a great opportunity and have to pay a lot more for something than I could have(it's almost a 35% price difference!) While wanting to see how the strings perform in a hybrid, I also want to see how they perform individually for two reasons: So I can see how they perform individually, and so I know that if I wanted to use a full bed poly or multi, I can use them and they would perform well. Once I find which ones I like, however, I will have already used my set up, and therefore won't be able to try it in a hybrid. Then, if I purchase the reels of the two that I liked and it turns out that they don't perform well together in a hybrid, I'm well over $100 down, and stuck with 1,320ft. of useless string. I sure wish I could get just another set of the Power Poly and the Comfort Syn. I have no idea which setups I should try 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

What should I do?!

mikeler
05-17-2011, 04:46 AM
I want to, but I'm in a little predicament, and am not sure what to do. Here it is:

I think I want to try to use two of them in a hybrid, or one as a full setup, and have some pretty good offers for reels. I am expecting a set of each of their strings in about 3 days. I don't have much time to try them out before making a decision, because the good offers for the reels keep running out of stock and I don't want to choose the wrong string and be stuck with it, yet I don't want to miss a great opportunity and have to pay a lot more for something than I could have(it's almost a 35% price difference!) While wanting to see how the strings perform in a hybrid, I also want to see how they perform individually for two reasons: So I can see how they perform individually, and so I know that if I wanted to use a full bed poly or multi, I can use them and they would perform well. Once I find which ones I like, however, I will have already used my set up, and therefore won't be able to try it in a hybrid. Then, if I purchase the reels of the two that I liked and it turns out that they don't perform well together in a hybrid, I'm well over $100 down, and stuck with 1,320ft. of useless string. I sure wish I could get just another set of the Power Poly and the Comfort Syn. I have no idea which setups I should try 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

What should I do?!

I never buy a string in reel form before trying out a pack. If I miss out on a deal, then so be it. You can always sell the string on TW or the big auction site if you do buy reels though, you may lose a few dollars on the deal though.

danno123
05-17-2011, 04:46 AM
Mikeler,
Have you tried Solinco Tour Bite 17L? It has a good reputation for spin but, according to the specs, isn't too stiff for a poly.

mikeler
05-17-2011, 05:00 AM
Mikeler,
Have you tried Solinco Tour Bite 17L? It has a good reputation for spin but, according to the specs, isn't too stiff for a poly.

When I first tried the PSTs that I use now, it had Vanquish mains with Tour Bite crosses. Seemed pretty comfortable at the time and that is when I was just coming back after a 2 month layoff from elbow problems.

sberman51
05-17-2011, 10:55 AM
I never buy a string in reel form before trying out a pack. If I miss out on a deal, then so be it. You can always sell the string on TW or the big auction site if you do buy reels though, you may lose a few dollars on the deal though.

Should I try all the test strings out individually, or should I try them in hybrids?
Thanks!

kslick
05-17-2011, 11:05 AM
Should I try all the test strings out individually, or should I try them in hybrids?
Thanks!

This is something you can only answer. Do you plan on playing with full beds or hybrids and go from there. Can your arm take full beds or would you like a little more comfort?

Kcraig
05-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks!

Can't wait for you to "try" some and report back--never know until you actually give them a test run for yourself. Good luck:)

sberman51
05-17-2011, 05:21 PM
This is something you can only answer. Do you plan on playing with full beds or hybrids and go from there. Can your arm take full beds or would you like a little more comfort?

That's true, but this can at least get me on the right start. I think I may plan on using hybrids, but only because I don't want to mess up my arm for the future. I'm still young, but I always seem to come out of the summer with an injury from over-doing it. I don't want to mess up my arm because it's hard to come back from that, so I've been told. Starting now with risking elbow problems would definately not be a good idea, right?

I don't know if my arm can take full beds. They have before and they have recently, but what are really the differences between a poly-mains hybrid and a full-bed poly? That may help me take a step in the right drection.

Thanks

mikeler
05-18-2011, 04:43 AM
^^^ Go with the hybrid for more arm comfort.

sberman51
05-18-2011, 05:06 AM
^^^ Will it affect the playability?

mikeler
05-18-2011, 05:11 AM
^^^ Will it affect the playability?

I've only used full poly for 4 games, but I definitely like the playability of a hybrid better.

sberman51
05-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Mkeler, What color do you use MCS in?

mikeler
05-18-2011, 09:07 AM
Mkeler, What color do you use MCS in?

Naked pink

Power Player
05-18-2011, 09:10 AM
Im going to go hybrid for a while. Considering I can barely grip anything with my right hand, and sometimes when I serve I weep with pain, I figure this may be a good idea..lol.

Black Mamba/POSG will be my first..I will then get some Mantis comfort. It had a lot of power in Bad Calls stick..I may have to go a little higher, but hybrids are good a little higher anyway in my experience.

mikeler
05-18-2011, 09:15 AM
Im going to go hybrid for a while. Considering I can barely grip anything with my right hand, and sometimes when I serve I weep with pain, I figure this may be a good idea..lol.

Black Mamba/POSG will be my first..I will then get some Mantis comfort. It had a lot of power in Bad Calls stick..I may have to go a little higher, but hybrids are good a little higher anyway in my experience.

MCS is good for injuries so Good_Call. :) I'm not having any power problems with it strung at 52 in the crosses with my lockout. It has always been one of the lower powered multifilaments to me.

sberman51
05-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Naked pink

...Naked Pink...? Is that natural colored? Where did you get it from? I only saw it in natural, black, and fluorescent yellow.

Boricua
05-18-2011, 11:32 AM
...Naked Pink...? Is that natural colored? Where did you get it from? I only saw it in natural, black, and fluorescent yellow.

Well, either he is joking with his response or you are joking by not understanding his joke.:)

mikeler
05-18-2011, 11:46 AM

Actually, I just looked at it again and the batch I got is twisted maroon/turquoise colored. KCraig, is that what colors you got on your last purchase?

Kcraig
05-18-2011, 11:51 AM
Actually, I just looked at it again and the batch I got is twisted maroon/turquoise colored. KCraig, is that what colors you got on your last purchase?

Yes and it is very cool8-)

Sberman--when do you plan to playtest anything? Really going to be the ONLY way to find out. Look forward to your report

sberman51
05-18-2011, 12:08 PM
Yes and it is very cool8-)

Sberman--when do you plan to playtest anything? Really going to be the ONLY way to find out. Look forward to your report

I plan on testing it Friday and this weekend, almost home and I'm pretty sure that it's sitting there waiting for me! :)

pepka
05-18-2011, 12:12 PM
2 days left till Friday ;-) Im sure U'll have a chance to ask few more (same) questions till than ;-)

Boricua
05-18-2011, 12:46 PM

I ordered the neon orange combined with drops of fusha and black over the top.:)

sberman51
05-18-2011, 01:20 PM
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd447/sberman51/image-1.png

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd447/sberman51/image-2.png

It's here!

rodrigoamaral
05-18-2011, 03:25 PM

It's here!

will you now stop asking 18 of the same questions every 5 minutes?

Boricua
05-18-2011, 03:38 PM

It's here!

Depending on your age, you can call your next dog or son Mantis.:)

rodrigoamaral
05-18-2011, 03:40 PM

hahaha.. this gave me a laugh for a few secs..

sberman51
05-18-2011, 04:17 PM

That took me a few minutes, but now I get it! :) ...i think...? haha

Boricua
05-18-2011, 04:28 PM
That took me a few minutes, but now I get it! :) ...i think...? haha

Yes , thats because Mantis is your string now. Gets kind of obssesive, right now Im into Volkl rackets. By the way, this could be a good racket brand to combine with Mantis. Good luck in your search.

sberman51
05-18-2011, 04:30 PM

Just re-reading this thread, and remembered that you used the same racquet!
I think I may do what you did and use some lead tape on 3/9. On this racquet, what exactly changed (both for the better and the worse) after the lead tape was put on 3/9?
Basically, how did it play differently?

Thanks!

Btw, I'm going to string my racquets up either tonight or tomorrow night:
1st setup: MPP/MCS at 57/60
2nd setup: MCP/MCS at 57/60

Anything anyone thinks I should change?

Thanks!

sberman51
05-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Yes , thats because Mantis is your string now. Gets kind of obssesive, right now Im into Volkl rackets. By the way, this could be a good racket brand to combine with Mantis. Good luck in your search.

I sure hope it is! Great price, great quality, (and the yellow and black will look sharp in my racquet!)
Yes, Volkl has very high quality products! I just got a few new racquets though, and they were pretty expensive... I probably won't be switching for awhile.
Thanks, as always!
I will surely keep Volkl in mind for future purchases! :)

fgs
05-18-2011, 05:21 PM
yes, you should change!!!
1. why is it you want to string the crosses higher than the mains? if you like a stiffer stringbed than it is o.k., it's just that you should want it, i.e. you should be aware of it.
2. you should go down at least 2lbs with the comfort poly. it you string a 1.25 and a 1.30 at the same tension, you will automatically percieve the 1.30 as much stiffer when compared to the 1.25. much stiffer and less responsive!
therefore i would suggest you either go down with the tension on the comfort poly hybrid or you go up on the power poly hybrid.

sberman51
05-18-2011, 05:56 PM
yes, you should change!!!
1. why is it you want to string the crosses higher than the mains? if you like a stiffer stringbed than it is o.k., it's just that you should want it, i.e. you should be aware of it.
2. you should go down at least 2lbs with the comfort poly. it you string a 1.25 and a 1.30 at the same tension, you will automatically percieve the 1.30 as much stiffer when compared to the 1.25. much stiffer and less responsive!
therefore i would suggest you either go down with the tension on the comfort poly hybrid or you go up on the power poly hybrid.

Thanks, fgs!
I'll change that! How's this?:

1st setup: MPP/MCS at 59/60
2nd setup: MCP/MCS at 57/59

Should I tweak it any more in one direction or the other? What do you think?
Open to all forms of opinions! :)

Thanks!

fgs
05-18-2011, 06:26 PM
yes, that looks much better.
remember: generally you go down 2lbs with thicker strings.
this is valid when we are talking about strings that are of the same material and have quite similar properties - for instance string x at 1.25mm should be strung 2lbs higher than the same string x but in 1.30mm diameter. this does not apply when comparing poly to multi and you also should look up the tension loss characteristics of the strings themselves. for instance, when you know that y certain string is losing much more than the average loss for it's category, than you go higher no matter what gauge. but if you were to compare two different gauges of this particular string then it applies again. i hope i made myself clear.
what you are basically looking for when stringing a stick is not the individual tension of a string, or mains and crosses, but you are looking for a specific stringbedstiffnes, because the stringbed is what impacts the ball. you will find out that there are more possibilities to obtain the same stringbedstiffnes, therefore by going down on the thicker gauges (which by definition are stiffer) you will look into the same stringbedstiffnes you obtain with the thinner gauge strung higher.
same stringbedstiffness does not mean same dynamic behaviour on impact!!! so, even if they are the same in terms of stringbedstiffnes, they will feel and play differently. but when you compare shoes you take both models in the size that fits you and see which is more comfortable. you wouldn't go for one of a size that will not fit you or make you feel uncomfortable.

sberman51
05-18-2011, 07:01 PM
Once again, Thanks! I will always keep that in mind! :)

Btw, do you think that MPP/MCS at 59/60 and MCP/MCS at 57/59 will have a relatively close stringbedstiffness? If they can be closer, how should I adjust the tension accordingly?

If it helps, here are the Total Tension Losses
Comfort Synthetic 16 = 12.6lbs.
Comfort Poly 16 = 23.4 lbs.
Power Poly 17 = 24.0 lbs.
(The Tennis Warehouse String Database doesn't have the Power Synthetic :( )

Let me know what you think! :)
Thanks!

KLE
05-18-2011, 07:09 PM
yes, that looks much better.
remember: generally you go down 2lbs with thicker strings.
this is valid when we are talking about strings that are of the same material and have quite similar properties - for instance string x at 1.25mm should be strung 2lbs higher than the same string x but in 1.30mm diameter. this does not apply when comparing poly to multi and you also should look up the tension loss characteristics of the strings themselves. for instance, when you know that y certain string is losing much more than the average loss for it's category, than you go higher no matter what gauge. but if you were to compare two different gauges of this particular string then it applies again. i hope i made myself clear.
what you are basically looking for when stringing a stick is not the individual tension of a string, or mains and crosses, but you are looking for a specific stringbedstiffnes, because the stringbed is what impacts the ball. you will find out that there are more possibilities to obtain the same stringbedstiffnes, therefore by going down on the thicker gauges (which by definition are stiffer) you will look into the same stringbedstiffnes you obtain with the thinner gauge strung higher.
same stringbedstiffness does not mean same dynamic behaviour on impact!!! so, even if they are the same in terms of stringbedstiffnes, they will feel and play differently. but when you compare shoes you take both models in the size that fits you and see which is more comfortable. you wouldn't go for one of a size that will not fit you or make you feel uncomfortable.

At a same tension, 2 strings of different gauge but same type of string which one will have more elasticity or in another word 'flex' more ? My logic will pick the one of thicker diameter to flex more due to it has more material to expand. Please share your thought.

sberman51
05-18-2011, 07:30 PM
At a same tension, 2 strings of different gauge but same type of string which one will have more elasticity or in another word 'flex' more ? My logic will pick the one of thicker diameter to flex more due to it has more material to expand. Please share your thought.

Think of the thicker as a tree trunk and the thinner as a branch. The branch will typically bend (flex) more than the trunk. Think of a thick wooden board vs a thinner one. The thinner one will flex more because it is easier due to the lesser amount of material.

Does that help?

fgs
05-18-2011, 10:56 PM
stringbeddeflection will be higher on the thinner one. the example with the tree and the branch is very good.
yes, with those tensions i expect the stringbedstiffnesses to be approx. the same.

mikeler
05-19-2011, 03:56 AM

It's here!

Wow, you sure went with the boring colors.

sberman51
05-19-2011, 05:29 AM
Wow, you sure went with the boring colors.

I know, right!? I asked for the Syns in black. They said they only have the power syn in black right now, so I said that's fine... Then they sent me the natural one! What's up with that!? :grin:

mikeler
05-19-2011, 05:43 AM
I know, right!? I asked for the Syns in black. They said they only have the power syn in black right now, so I said that's fine... Then they sent me the natural one! What's up with that!? :grin:

If you want a quick high, take a big whiff of the MCS right out of the package.

fgs
05-19-2011, 05:49 AM
i think that's part of the addiction with that string. each time you string it you get high and you don't mind if it breaks all that often - so you're high (almost) all the time.:)

Kcraig
05-19-2011, 06:10 AM
Just re-reading this thread, and remembered that you used the same racquet!
I think I may do what you did and use some lead tape on 3/9. On this racquet, what exactly changed (both for the better and the worse) after the lead tape was put on 3/9?
Basically, how did it play differently?

Thanks!

Btw, I'm going to string my racquets up either tonight or tomorrow night:
1st setup: MPP/MCS at 57/60
2nd setup: MCP/MCS at 57/60

Anything anyone thinks I should change?

Thanks!

I would drop the tension down--54/56 is what I would start with. That frame is not the softest. Good luck and can't wait for you to finally hit/test something:)

mikeler
05-19-2011, 06:27 AM
i think that's part of the addiction with that string. each time you string it you get high and you don't mind if it breaks all that often - so you're high (almost) all the time.:)

I think I'm around the 10 hour mark on my 2nd B5E/MCS setup. I'm starting to see the MCS coating coming off in a few places. This time I'll play with it until breakage.

sberman51
05-19-2011, 06:34 AM
If you want a quick high, take a big whiff of the MCS right out of the package.

Haha You must feel like the Beatles, when opening the reel! :D

fgs
05-19-2011, 06:40 AM
yes, that must be the "lucy in the sky with diamonds" thing.
personally i'm playing it at around 50lbs in a very stiff frame (the mantis 300), but then i have some more years on the counter. i guess our friend here is a healthy lad of 16 summers with some muscle (otherwise he would not have spoken about playing 12+hrs a day) to his bones, so if he likes firmer set-ups his last proposal would be o.k. i agree that going down a few lbs would be no mistake either, but then it's up to him.

sberman51
05-19-2011, 07:55 AM
yes, that must be the "lucy in the sky with diamonds" thing.
personally i'm playing it at around 50lbs in a very stiff frame (the mantis 300), but then i have some more years on the counter. i guess our friend here is a healthy lad of 16 summers with some muscle (otherwise he would not have spoken about playing 12+hrs a day) to his bones, so if he likes firmer set-ups his last proposal would be o.k. i agree that going down a few lbs would be no mistake either, but then it's up to him.

Haha! That gave me few good laughs...

How's this?:

1st setup: MPP/MCS at 57/59

2nd setup: MCP/MCS at 56/59
OR
56/58
55.5/59
55.5/59.5
(Want similar stringbedstiffness between the two setups so I can actually compare the strings themselves)

Let me know what you think!
Thanks!

fgs
05-19-2011, 08:45 AM
go with the 57/59 and 56/59 settings.
and now you go and string those darn sticks man! and then you go and hit the ball and come right back and tell us all what your impressions were. :)

mikeler
05-19-2011, 08:50 AM
You can do it sberman51! String 'em up!

sberman51
05-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Alright. I just finished my rough draft of my Paper, performing at a concert tonight, won't get home until maybe 9:30. Then I have to string for a customer, then I'll do my own. :D It'll be a long day...and a long night...
By the way, I am wondering how stencils are on poly-mains hybrids? Do they stay on? Do they affect the playability?

Thanks!

Boricua
05-19-2011, 09:43 AM
Alright. I just finished my rough draft of my Paper, performing at a concert tonight, won't get home until maybe 9:30. Then I have to string for a customer, then I'll do my own. :D It'll be a long day...and a long night...
By the way, I am wondering how stencils are on poly-mains hybrids? Do they stay on? Do they affect the playability?

Thanks!

This new inquiry could postpone your demo of the strings. Is it a strategy for not playing?:)

Seriusly, in my limited experience using them they dont affect playability but the ink comes off pretty fast when you begin playing.

sberman51
05-19-2011, 09:48 AM
This new inquiry could postpone your demo of the strings. Is it a strategy for not playing?:)

Seriusly, in my limited experience using them they dont affect playability but the ink comes off pretty fast when you begin playing.

Haha...mayybe..? :D
Thanks
Sweet. I don't really care if they come off fast, I just don't want it to change the playability :) Also, I wanted to know just in case customers ever ask! :wink:

fgs
05-19-2011, 10:42 AM
no, stencil ink does not affect playability, it just paints the balls.:)

sberman51
05-19-2011, 11:26 AM
no, stencil ink does not affect playability, it just paints the balls.:)

Lovely :D Then I'll always know which ones are mine!

*shouts* Hey, on court 3! Do you have any Wilson 4s? How 'bout any multi-colored balls? Can't deny that now, can ya!? Lol

sberman51
05-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Finally home... Let's string these puppies up!

Boricua
05-19-2011, 05:25 PM
Lovely :D Then I'll always know which ones are mine!

*shouts* Hey, on court 3! Do you have any Wilson 4s? How 'bout any multi-colored balls? Can't deny that now, can ya!? Lol

Unless the other guy on court 3 uses same colored ink in stencil:)

sberman51
05-19-2011, 07:49 PM
Strung the bad-boy up! Too tired to post anything decent, so I'll post tomorrow on my first impressions of the setup. Though, I will say, it looks very promising! :D

sberman51
05-20-2011, 12:31 PM
Ok, here we go:

Stringing was easy for the MPP, though tying the end knots weren't fun...

On the other hand, stringing the MCS was an absolutely amazing experience! It stretches so much! When I did the first tensioning, I thought something was wrong with the tensioner and the string was going to snap! But, to my surprise (after some reaallly slow tensioning the first time :) ), it didn't snap, and is just veeerry stretchy! The starting knot I tied using the MCS has got to be one of, if not the best quality and easiest starting knots I have ever tied!

When stringing this hybrid, I had a very good feeling this was going to play well.
I'm off to try it now!

Here are some pics:
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd447/sberman51/0519012327.jpg
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd447/sberman51/0519012329.jpg

Let me know what you think, and if you've had similar experiences stringing either of these two strings!

Boricua
05-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Ok, here we go:

Stringing was easy for the MPP, though tying the end knots weren't fun...

On the other hand, stringing the MCS was an absolutely amazing experience! It stretches so much! When I did the first tensioning, I thought something was wrong with the tensioner and the string was going to snap! But, to my surprise (after some reaallly slow tensioning the first time :) ), it didn't snap, and is just veeerry stretchy! The starting knot I tied using the MCS has got to be one of, if not the best quality and easiest starting knots I have ever tied!

When stringing this hybrid, I had a very good feeling this was going to play well.
I'm off to try it now!

Here are some pics:
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd447/sberman51/0519012327.jpg
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd447/sberman51/0519012329.jpg

Let me know what you think, and if you've had similar experiences stringing either of these two strings!

Now I see why they call MCS the noodle, that is the "get high" noodle":)

fgs
05-20-2011, 12:53 PM
yes, it is a veeeery stretchy string. nevertheless plays adorable afterwards.

i have the feeling though that you did not listen to my advice and went to play "fresh off the stringer". in this case you will have been hitting through the stabilization period and will experience the initial tension drop. be patient on your next hitting session, dial yourself in to the stabilized tension and then make a true evaluation of let's say your second and third sessions - has the tension dropped more, how is directional control, etc.

mikeler
05-20-2011, 01:27 PM
MCS is a delight to string up.

KLE
05-20-2011, 01:35 PM
It's here!

Did you pay extra for the overgrip or it was part of the deal?

pepka
05-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Every time i ordered string from Mantis i got some free OG's. They gave me 6 twice and 3 once. Nice grips btw :-)

mikeler
05-20-2011, 03:57 PM
Every time i ordered string from Mantis i got some free OG's. They gave me 6 twice and 3 once. Nice grips btw :-)

That must be a thing they do for their European customers.

Boricua
05-20-2011, 04:40 PM
That must be a thing they do for their European customers.

Well, I dont live in Europe but I have a french and italian last names from my fathers side. Do I get free overgrips?:)

JackB1
05-20-2011, 05:37 PM

I agree. Gosen Micro is just as easy.

sberman51
05-21-2011, 01:20 PM

Amen to that!

sberman51
05-21-2011, 01:40 PM
yes, it is a veeeery stretchy string. nevertheless plays adorable afterwards.

i have the feeling though that you did not listen to my advice and went to play "fresh off the stringer". in this case you will have been hitting through the stabilization period and will experience the initial tension drop. be patient on your next hitting session, dial yourself in to the stabilized tension and then make a true evaluation of let's say your second and third sessions - has the tension dropped more, how is directional control, etc.

I strung it the night before. I waited 17 hours before hitting. Strangely enough, I did infact experience the initial tension loss. I LOVED it at first. With this setup, I have now reached the 6.5 hours mark. I can really feel the tension loss. I liked it better at the beginning.
I'm going to string it tighter next time. (is that the right thing to do in this situation? I'm about to string the MCP/MCS setup. I think after this experience with tension loss, (also because I Hate it when the strings are too loose) I will string the mains at 57 aswell even though they are a little bit thicker.
no notching thus far. A few brown marks on the crosses where they meet the mains. I see this as a sign of early breakage, but is this normal?

fgs
05-21-2011, 01:56 PM
yes, stringing a little bit higher would be the way to go.
i understand that you liked it better at the beginning as it was playing somewhat crisper than it does now. is it too low now? how is power, directional control and spin right now?
generally speaking, whenever we try something new (i've done it so many times so far and still make the same mistake) we tend to like it as it is different. there are few cases (look through the board), when something new was not good, did not provide that aha-effect. fresh strings are something of this deceptive sort - unless you are nadal/fed/djok, you can't have fresh strings every 30 minutes. so we tend to overreact on the things the "new" one is doing differently from the "old" one and we also use to filter the bad things out (for instance: i get weird kick into my serve - noted as a positive, but when the volley is flying all over the place we don't see it as big as the weird kick on the serve).
see if you can get accustomed to the new and lower tension and try to evaluate what you get in terms of spin, comfort, control, power, durability, touch etc. once the string has stabilized.

sberman51
05-21-2011, 02:12 PM
yes, stringing a little bit higher would be the way to go.
i understand that you liked it better at the beginning as it was playing somewhat crisper than it does now. is it too low now? how is power, directional control and spin right now?
generally speaking, whenever we try something new (i've done it so many times so far and still make the same mistake) we tend to like it as it is different. there are few cases (look through the board), when something new was not good, did not provide that aha-effect. fresh strings are something of this deceptive sort - unless you are nadal/fed/djok, you can't have fresh strings every 30 minutes. so we tend to overreact on the things the "new" one is doing differently from the "old" one and we also use to filter the bad things out (for instance: i get weird kick into my serve - noted as a positive, but when the volley is flying all over the place we don't see it as big as the weird kick on the serve).
see if you can get accustomed to the new and lower tension and try to evaluate what you get in terms of spin, comfort, control, power, durability, touch etc. once the string has stabilized.

Right now, spin is good, directional control is decent, spin is good, power is a little too much, and the tension is now too low.

I am just about to string my other racquet. The origional plan was to string it at 56/59, but the tension is now too low on the other setup. The mains on the MCP are 1.30, vs the 1.25 on the MPP. How should I adjust the tension accordingly? I'm thinking of maybe 57.5/59 for the MCP/MCS setup. And for the future, 58.5/59 for the MPP/MCS setup.

I need to string it in a few minutes, so I need some opinions and fast!
Thanks!

Btw, I'll be hitting at noon tomorrow, which will allow it 16.5 hours to settle. Is that enough?

mikeler
05-21-2011, 02:46 PM
^^^ An actual sberman51 playtest! The end of the world may come to pass today after all! :)

fgs
05-21-2011, 02:48 PM
the tension drop on the mcp is not that high as with the mpp, so, taking into account that you say that the mpp is already on the soft side, i'd go with 58 on the mcp mains and make it 61 for the mcs in the crosses.
after taking the stick out of the stringer, put the stick on a soft carpet and step onto the stringbed (quickly, not stand on it!!!) for maybe 20 times. this will help with stabilization and don't worry about the stick, it will not suffer unless you are well over 80kg (approx. 175lbs.). i would say that under these circumstances you will experience minimal tension loss after you start hitting with it.

sberman51
05-21-2011, 06:30 PM
the tension drop on the mcp is not that high as with the mpp, so, taking into account that you say that the mpp is already on the soft side, i'd go with 58 on the mcp mains and make it 61 for the mcs in the crosses.
after taking the stick out of the stringer, put the stick on a soft carpet and step onto the stringbed (quickly, not stand on it!!!) for maybe 20 times. this will help with stabilization and don't worry about the stick, it will not suffer unless you are well over 80kg (approx. 175lbs.). i would say that under these circumstances you will experience minimal tension loss after you start hitting with it.

Thanks! That is amazing advice, and I will surely do that!

I'm guessing that your answer, based on the increases with the MCP/MCS, will be 59/61, but what tension should I string the MPP/MCS before I step on it?

UPDATE: I just strung up the MCP/MCS setup at 58/61 and then proceeded to do the string-stepping procedure as previously mentioned by fgs.

STRINGING REVIEW:
An amazing setup to string with. Though it is a poly, the MCP was really easy to tie knots with. I was stringing peacefully, and it only took me 30 minutes, give or take a few.

I am hitting tomorrow at noon and will report back on what I find.

sberman51
05-22-2011, 05:46 AM
By the way, I was already experiencing friction burn on the crosses by the time I reached around the 4 hour mark. Is this a sign of early breakage? Or is this normal?

sberman51
05-22-2011, 10:27 AM
Ok. I went out and hit with the MCP/MCS setup for 2 hours. I could feel a noticeable difference between the two. The MCP felt like it was "heavier," if you will, when hitting the ball. My serves were very good with this setup. It may be because of either the gauge, tension, and hitting time, but the MPP felt a little "lighter" to hit with.
Will post back after more hitting.

fgs
05-22-2011, 10:58 AM
what you felt is the impact of the ball on the strings - the mcp has less stringbed deflection, so you will have a "heavier" feel of the ball upon impact and you feel you work more. the mpp, besides being strung lower has more stringbed deflection mainly due to the smaller diameter and i suppose also due to the different material, resp. additives.
when you have lesser stringbeddeflection you are "pancaking" tha ball more, meaning that it deforms more upon contact with the stringbed. with thinner strings, more elastic strings or lower tensions, stringbed deflection rises and you have less "pancaking", giving you the sometimes wrong idea that you hit a "lighter" ball, because you don't feel so much effort with each stroke.
i had to put much faster swings on the mcp in order to achieve the same effectiveness of my strokes as compared to the mpp - at least this is what my opponents and practice partners told me. on the other hand i had to sweat more with the mcp, obviously.

mikeler
05-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Broke my 2nd B5E/MCS setup in the crosses. This time, there was much less warning that the MCS was going to blow out. It did look worn down but I never saw the outer coating come off nor did I see it "hanging on by a thread". Think I got about 12 sets out of it which for me equates to about a 2 week time between restrings which I like.

Just restrung it outside in my driveway. Luckily it is shaded by a big oak tree since it is 95 degrees out right now.

sberman51
05-22-2011, 11:54 AM
what you felt is the impact of the ball on the strings - the mcp has less stringbed deflection, so you will have a "heavier" feel of the ball upon impact and you feel you work more. the mpp, besides being strung lower has more stringbed deflection mainly due to the smaller diameter and i suppose also due to the different material, resp. additives.
when you have lesser stringbeddeflection you are "pancaking" tha ball more, meaning that it deforms more upon contact with the stringbed. with thinner strings, more elastic strings or lower tensions, stringbed deflection rises and you have less "pancaking", giving you the sometimes wrong idea that you hit a "lighter" ball, because you don't feel so much effort with each stroke.
i had to put much faster swings on the mcp in order to achieve the same effectiveness of my strokes as compared to the mpp - at least this is what my opponents and practice partners told me. on the other hand i had to sweat more with the mcp, obviously.

Does this mean that the MCP is lower powered than the MPP? Can I make the MPP "heavier" by stringing it tighter? The MCP was going into the net a bit more; whereas the MPP was going perfectly over the net, maybe 4-7 inches above it. I played a set with the MCP setup, and my serve was the best it had looked in a long time.
It's a hard choice! You know what I mean? I like the way they play, but in different ways. Not knowing I switched racquets, my opponent did notice and mention a difference in my playing (in the good way) after I switched to the MPP setup, though it may have been because I was getting kind if tired.
I don't want to give up on the MCP though, because I haven't hit with it as much, and the yellow strings just looks so darned cool in my yellow racquet!
What do you think? By the way, Mantis told me that their MCS in black is stiffer that the natural. Does this mean that there is more durability?
Thanks!

fgs
05-22-2011, 12:17 PM
don't mix it up - what you felt "heavier" was the different and bigger impact on your arm, not ball speed! you had to work more in order to get to the same result.
i assume your service went slightly long with the mpp setup if you hit well with the mcp. i think that if you toss the ball 2 inches further in front of you, you hit the court as well, and with more action, with the mpp.
don't get me wrong - i do like the mcp and it does have some really big strenghth. i initially played it in my old 18mains-patterned nblades and it was one of the very few string in gauge16 (1.30mm) i was able to play with in those sticks. now i have switched to the mantis 300 sticks and these have an 16mains pattern, and i surely will give it another try, as my initial thought about it was that it might blend very well with 16mains-patterned sticks. i don't really see it in the 18mains ones unless the player does really rip the felt off the balls usually in less than 30 minutes.
i played the blac mcs in the sticks as they come prestrung and even as they have been full bed and strung tighter than i usually make my sticks, i must admit that i felt no real difference in string behaviour. i usually play the natural coloured as cross-string in hybrids, but i have also done a full bed once. there is an additional layer of paint on the string that possibly can make it slightly stiffer. it does not have better durability than the natural coloured one - i was through with the fullbed in less than three hitting hours, same time i got in my old blades, and those had 18mains!!!

sberman51
05-23-2011, 11:45 AM
don't mix it up - what you felt "heavier" was the different and bigger impact on your arm, not ball speed! you had to work more in order to get to the same result.
i assume your service went slightly long with the mpp setup if you hit well with the mcp. i think that if you toss the ball 2 inches further in front of you, you hit the court as well, and with more action, with the mpp.
don't get me wrong - i do like the mcp and it does have some really big strenghth. i initially played it in my old 18mains-patterned nblades and it was one of the very few string in gauge16 (1.30mm) i was able to play with in those sticks. now i have switched to the mantis 300 sticks and these have an 16mains pattern, and i surely will give it another try, as my initial thought about it was that it might blend very well with 16mains-patterned sticks. i don't really see it in the 18mains ones unless the player does really rip the felt off the balls usually in less than 30 minutes.
i played the blac mcs in the sticks as they come prestrung and even as they have been full bed and strung tighter than i usually make my sticks, i must admit that i felt no real difference in string behaviour. i usually play the natural coloured as cross-string in hybrids but i have also done a full bed once. there is an additional layer of paint on the string that possibly can make it slightly stiffer. it does not have better durability than the natural coloured one - i was through with the fullbed in less than three hitting hours, same time i got in my old blades, and those had 18mains!!!
@bolded above
My racquet is 16x19. Which would you imagine would work best?

I think I want to use the MCS in my hybrids. Would the black perform the same as the natural in the crosses of a hybrid?
Thanks!

fgs
05-23-2011, 11:53 AM
the mcp might be a very interesting string for you as you are having a 16mains pattern. i have recently switched to a 16mains pattern too and will give the mcp another go, when i'm gonna have finished my structured/shaped polys review.
i have not played the black mcs! being a true multi and not just a solid core syn gut it is possible that the dying process involves a certain stiffening of the string. i can not tell though as i have not played it at all. i played the black power syn and it did not seem to me to behave/feel different than the natural one, but with the mcs it can be different due to the different construction of the string.

Boricua
05-24-2011, 07:37 AM
Anyone use Babolat Hurricane Feel either as full bed or hybrid? Thoughts?

mikeler
05-25-2011, 11:39 AM
I've got my next thread title:

Mikeler's Mishits

I cannot for the life of me hit a clean ball the last few matches. My strings can't help me out if I'm not hitting them cleanly!

fgs
05-25-2011, 12:00 PM
mikeler, i think this happens as you do not have a purpose anymore. while you set out to test strings, yout purpose was to hit the ball with the strings so that you could come back reporting. no, as this purpose has gone away your concentration is also fading and you frame the balls.
start testing strings and you'll see you find again the target.:)

dozu
05-25-2011, 12:02 PM

Mikeler's Mishits

I cannot for the life of me hit a clean ball the last few matches. My strings can't help me out if I'm not hitting them cleanly!

in my 'anti-thread' of yours, I wrote how polys reduce the sweet spot size.

Is the 'mishits' happening when you use rackets strung with multis also?

CDestroyer
05-25-2011, 12:05 PM

Mikeler's Mishits

Keep watching the ball contact through the back of the racquet like that dude in your avatar.

I have been pulling my head up too much lately too.

Boricua
05-25-2011, 12:10 PM

Mikeler's Mishits

Could be that the MCS smell may be affecting you.:)

mikeler
05-25-2011, 12:11 PM
mikeler, i think this happens as you do not have a purpose anymore. while you set out to test strings, yout purpose was to hit the ball with the strings so that you could come back reporting. no, as this purpose has gone away your concentration is also fading and you frame the balls.

Interesting theory, I like it! :)

in my 'anti-thread' of yours, I wrote how polys reduce the sweet spot size.

Is the 'mishits' happening when you use rackets strung with multis also?

I did not realize that thread was a direct response to my thread. You did spark some lively discussion though.

Keep watching the ball contact through the back of the racquet like that dude in your avatar.

I have been pulling my head up too much lately too.

It ****es me off. I should not have to tell myself "watch the ball" every point. It has gotten to a point where I don't even want to play on the courts at the edge of my club because I'm guaranteed a shanker that goes up in the stratosphere and ends up on the other side of the fence and then I have a nice long walk to retrieve the ball on the changeover. :cry:

Boricua
05-25-2011, 12:41 PM
Interesting theory, I like it! :)

I did not realize that thread was a direct response to my thread. You did spark some lively discussion though.

It ****es me off. I should not have to tell myself "watch the ball" every point. It has gotten to a point where I don't even want to play on the courts at the edge of my club because I'm guaranteed a shanker that goes up in the stratosphere and ends up on the other side of the fence and then I have a nice long walk to retrieve the ball on the changeover. :cry:

I think that a hybrid setup does not affect the sweetspot as much as a full poly setup.

Maybe, because you have more control with your new setup B5E/MCS you are overhitting. So, dont overhit or alter yout technique looking for more power on your shots. After the honeymoon period comes the adjustment period. Happens in everything. Perseverance is the key:)

dozu
05-25-2011, 01:22 PM
I think that a hybrid setup does not affect the sweetspot as much as a full poly setup.

Maybe, because you have more control with your new setup B5E/MCS you are overhitting. So, dont overhit or alter yout technique looking for more power on your shots. After the honeymoon period comes the adjustment period. Happens in everything. Perseverance is the key:)

if the theory is true that mains account for 80% of playability, then poly mains would have a pretty big effect on sweetspot :)

I can't quite figure out why though... I have tried poly mains nylon crosses, from 30+ to 50+ lbs tension, the tips and the edges all feel dead on a 93 sq in Volkl mid.... and I mean DEAD dead.... sometimes in a pinch I can't even send the ball over the net... whereas a gut/nylon job would probably send the sucker back to opp's service line and let me live for another shot.

fgs
05-25-2011, 01:33 PM
while i can agree that a gut/nylon combo would still get that ball hit on the top of the stringbed over the net, you also have to take into account on how the stick behaves, ie deflects, upon that contact. a very soft hoop, like on some head models (i don't know the völkl ones) would simply have that ball almost literally stick to the strings (i doubt you make it to your own serviceline), some sticks with a firmer hoop (not neccessarily stiff sticks overall) would still get it over the net even with a (low strung) poly/nylon combo.
i hit in the upper third of the stringbed and i found that also some soft sticks (ra ranging from 58 to 64), even with 95 headsizes, give me "the bad vibes", while some stiff ones let me still control that ball and don't mess with neither my shoulder nor my elbow.

sberman51
05-25-2011, 02:30 PM

Mikeler's Mishits

Could be that the MCS smell may be affecting you.:)

If there was a 'like' button, I would 'like' all of the above! :D

mikeler
05-26-2011, 04:37 AM
Played a terrific first set last night against a very good opponent. The next set was not good at all because my opponent upped his game and my Achilles tendon was on fire. I know that I really need to just take a few weeks off and let all my injuries heal but it is so hard to do!

dozu
05-26-2011, 05:07 AM
my Achilles tendon was on fire.

2 words - wheelchair tennis !

Boricua
05-26-2011, 05:22 AM
Played a terrific first set last night against a very good opponent. The next set was not good at all because my opponent upped his game and my Achilles tendon was on fire. I know that I really need to just take a few weeks off and let all my injuries heal but it is so hard to do!

They say Superfeet insoles are good. Could help your Achilles tendon pain. Im getting the blue ones to help my flat feet.

mikeler
05-26-2011, 05:37 AM
2 words - wheelchair tennis !

1 word - doubles :(

They say Superfeet insoles are good. Could help your Achilles tendon pain. Im getting the blue ones to help my flat feet.

I may go by the big box store at lunch and pickup whatever they have there. Superfeet will take forever to get here and I have matches this weekend.

mikeler
05-30-2011, 12:33 PM
Bought some Superfeet Green last Friday and they work like a charm. Very little heel pain now.

I had a weird experience today with MCS. I saw the coating coming off so I thought I'd try and remove the small portion of it that was sticking up. I ended up peeling the coating across 4 or 5 mains. I kept trying to remove it but it would not break, just kept getting longer. I showed it to my doubles partners and they could not believe it was still hanging on. I gave it 1 more tug while waiting on a 2nd serve for my partner. SNAP! I broke it with my bare hands. Made me feel kind of manly.

Restrung my racket this PM. I pulled the last 2 mains at 10 pounds tighter as suggested by the GG website. Hopefully this will help keep those outer mains in place better without changing the feel too much.

eidolonshinobi
05-30-2011, 12:38 PM
Bought some Superfeet Green last Friday and they work like a charm. Very little heel pain now.

I had a weird experience today with MCS. I saw the coating coming off so I thought I'd try and remove the small portion of it that was sticking up. I ended up peeling the coating across 4 or 5 mains. I kept trying to remove it but it would not break, just kept getting longer. I showed it to my doubles partners and they could not believe it was still hanging on. I gave it 1 more tug while waiting on a 2nd serve for my partner. SNAP! I broke it with my bare hands. Made me feel kind of manly.

Restrung my racket this PM. I pulled the last 2 mains at 10 pounds tighter as suggested by the GG website. Hopefully this well help keep those outer mains in place better without changing the feel too much.

Good to hear! I have Blues myself and they're great :)

KLE
05-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Does anyone play with this new Gamma Verve 17 Co-Poly yet? Please share your feedback. Thx.

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/5351/gvrv171.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/543/gvrv171.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

sberman51
05-31-2011, 06:17 AM

Restrung my racket this PM. I pulled the last 2 mains at 10 pounds tighter as suggested by the GG website. Hopefully this will help keep those outer mains in place better without changing the feel too much.

GG website? Which website is that? Also, you said the weird experience was with MCS, which you usually use as cross strings. You said there was peeling across 4 or 5 mains. Does that mean you used MCS in a full-bed?
Thanks!

mikeler
05-31-2011, 07:05 AM
GG website? Which website is that? Also, you said the weird experience was with MCS, which you usually use as cross strings. You said there was peeling across 4 or 5 mains. Does that mean you used MCS in a full-bed?
Thanks!

GG = Guts and Glory. They have some great articles on stringing.

The MCS issue I spoke about was in my B5E/MCS hybrid. I knew I probably should not tug on a small piece of coating barely sticking up but my OCD kicked in. At first, I tried twisting it a few times to see if that would break it. Finally, I tugged at it really hard and that is when I ripped the coating a few inches long. Now I had a piece of coating in the middle of the stringbed hanging off. I could not see how that was going to help with my tennis game so I was going to try and tear off the whole piece. That is when I broke the string by hand. Once the MCS coating goes, the string does not typically last very long.

sberman51
05-31-2011, 08:26 AM
GG = Guts and Glory. They have some great articles on stringing.

The MCS issue I spoke about was in my B5E/MCS hybrid. I knew I probably should not tug on a small piece of coating barely sticking up but my OCD kicked in. At first, I tried twisting it a few times to see if that would break it. Finally, I tugged at it really hard and that is when I ripped the coating a few inches long. Now I had a piece of coating in the middle of the stringbed hanging off. I could not see how that was going to help with my tennis game so I was going to try and tear off the whole piece. That is when I broke the string by hand. Once the MCS coating goes, the string does not typically last very long.

Hm, I guess I'll check out the GG website.
I see. I had a feeling it was the MCS that was peeling. I was just trying to clarify, because your original post said it was peeling across 4 or 5 mains, so I thought the mains were peeling! :)

mikeler
05-31-2011, 10:12 AM
Hm, I guess I'll check out the GG website.
I see. I had a feeling it was the MCS that was peeling. I was just trying to clarify, because your original post said it was peeling across 4 or 5 mains, so I thought the mains were peeling! :)

I should have just specified the length of MCS I peeled away. Anyway, kind of a weird experience breaking a string by hand.

sberman51
06-01-2011, 03:55 AM
I should have just specified the length of MCS I peeled away. Anyway, kind of a weird experience breaking a string by hand.

Yeah, pretty weird...must have felt pretty cool, though! :D

Automatix
06-01-2011, 06:39 AM
Mikeler did you get the chance to test Black Venom Rough?

mikeler
06-01-2011, 07:01 AM
Mikeler did you get the chance to test Black Venom Rough?

I have not tried it yet. I don't use my 3rd racket anymore so I'd like to stick something else in there and just use that as my test stick. How soft is it?

Automatix
06-01-2011, 07:22 AM
IMHO it's softer tha PS Energy but some will say otherwise. Safe to say it's the very soft co-poly category.

mikeler
06-01-2011, 11:52 AM
IMHO it's softer tha PS Energy but some will say otherwise. Safe to say it's the very soft co-poly category.

Ok thanks. I may wait until some reviews come out before trying it.

retlod
06-01-2011, 12:06 PM
I think I'm around the 10 hour mark on my 2nd B5E/MCS setup. I'm starting to see the MCS coating coming off in a few places. This time I'll play with it until breakage.

Based upon suggestions from you and pvaudio, I tried out some B5E in several of my frames and I absolutely love it. It's comfortable without being springy and crisp without being harsh. The power level was perfect for me and the control was superb. I found that it had no break-in time whatsoever and continued to play well for several hours. Here's the crazy thing, though--I strung it at 60 lbs! Many will say that this is too high for polys or tension-sensitive polys like most WC strings, but it works for me. I think it has become my go-to string for frames whose PJs will clash with orange strings. Thanks, guys!

sberman51
06-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Based upon suggestions from you and pvaudio, I tried out some B5E in several of my frames and I absolutely love it. It's comfortable without being springy and crisp without being harsh. The power level was perfect for me and the control was superb. I found that it had no break-in time whatsoever and continued to play well for several hours. Here's the crazy thing, though--I strung it at 60 lbs! Many will say that this is too high for polys or tension-sensitive polys like most WC strings, but it works for me. I think it has become my go-to string for frames whose PJs will clash with orange strings. Thanks, guys!

I'm asking this question to anyone who has had any experience with any of the following strings:
Speaking about tension and sensitivity with polys, how tension-sensitive is BHBR (Big Hitter Blue Rough) and Volkl Cyclone? More specifically, BHBR 17 and Cyclone 18? And tension maintenance?
Thanks!
By the way, I have a question about shaped strings and gauges:
With shaped strings, do the thinner or thicker strings have more spin? I am confused by this because with the thicker string, the shapes are larger (more defined) but the string-bed is more closed; with the thinner string, the shapes are smaller (less defined) but the string-bed is more open.
Please elaborate.
Thanks again! :D

mikeler
06-01-2011, 02:38 PM

Glad it works for you. Another Weiss Cannon convert!

mikeler
07-13-2011, 07:09 AM
Just a few updates since I've last posted. I recently purchased 3 Pro Kennex 7Gs and have sold my PSTs. So now I'm trying to dial in the tension and also try out a few cross strings with B5E mains.

I started at my normal 48/52 B5E/MCS but that had too much power in this frame. Unfortunately, I ran out of MCS at this point so I had to stop by the local shop and pick up some Babolat Xcel. I upped the tension to 52/56 and this setup plays fairly well. Still nice and comfy at that tension.

My last match I tried out B5E/Hexy Fiber 17 at 52/56. It plays firmer but still is quite comfortable. The spin with this combo is intense and I love volleying with it. A potential downside I see is pairing a 5 edged string with a 6 edge string so I'll have to see how durable it is. If it plays well for long enough, I won't bother with the $10 extra per set for Xcel.

I should have a set of MCS coming in today or tomorrow, so I also plan on trying that as a cross at the higher tensions.

ethebull
08-03-2011, 07:13 AM
Suggestion - Revisit RIP Control, it really shines as a poly cross, with the sort of low power and spin you appreciate.

mikeler
08-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Suggestion - Revisit RIP Control, it really shines as a poly cross, with the sort of low power and spin you appreciate.

Hexy Fibre crosses have been giving some slight elbow twinges that I'm not getting with my current Genesis Thunder Blast crosses. RIP is stiffer than Hexy so I'd be a little afraid to try it right now but thanks for the suggestion.

djNEiGht
08-03-2011, 12:30 PM
i have a couple packs of 361 string left over and i want to use them up in a hybrid. When I use it will also depend on how my GE fairs.

Mikeler, what say you about 361 and a soft cross yet to be determined. I've thought about Dunlop Max Comfort (which i'm playing on in a full bed right now) but am open to other suggestions. Of the poly's you've tested, do you thing there is something that may play/feel similar to the 361 string?

msalamon
08-03-2011, 12:38 PM
[QUOTE=mikeler;5697991]Bought some Superfeet Green last Friday and they work like a charm. Very little heel pain now.

I get this wierd pain in my right heel---right heel only--the left heel feels fine. But after a match-for the next 24 hours- I have a pain right in the bottom of my right heel. Will these super feets help you think?

mikeler
08-04-2011, 06:36 AM
i have a couple packs of 361 string left over and i want to use them up in a hybrid. When I use it will also depend on how my GE fairs.

Mikeler, what say you about 361 and a soft cross yet to be determined. I've thought about Dunlop Max Comfort (which i'm playing on in a full bed right now) but am open to other suggestions. Of the poly's you've tested, do you thing there is something that may play/feel similar to the 361 string?

I have not tried the 361 string so I can't help you there.

I get this wierd pain in my right heel---right heel only--the left heel feels fine. But after a match-for the next 24 hours- I have a pain right in the bottom of my right heel. Will these super feets help you think?

Mine started in my right heel and now I have it in both heels. Usually the right is worse than the left. The Super Feet helped some but I still feel it sometimes usually for about 24 hours after a match. I bought a home ultrasound and electrostimulation unit that I use every night which helps. If I just rested that would be best, but I can't do that.

JT_2eighty
08-04-2011, 07:39 AM
Superfeet green are great. If you like those but still need more cushion, the Orange is even better. A little softer and slightly thicker, but same arch support. I can't wear shoes without them now.

Fedace
08-04-2011, 07:46 AM
is that new string from weisscannon really good ? are these better than babolat's polys. which are considered standard of industry.

JT_2eighty
08-04-2011, 07:49 AM
Babolat is more the standard for marketing prowess, although they do make the industry standard Gut, I wouldn't say their poly is the best. RPM was underwhelming for me, compared to ALU and Polystar, two drastically different brands and strings. PHT was good when fresh, but that lasted about an hour and then just died horribly. PH normal is ok, but there are many better strings out there that feel the same and are priced better with better tension maintenance.

Fedace
08-04-2011, 07:53 AM
Babolat is more the standard for marketing prowess, although they do make the industry standard Gut, I wouldn't say their poly is the best. RPM was underwhelming for me, compared to ALU and Polystar, two drastically different brands and strings. PHT was good when fresh, but that lasted about an hour and then just died horribly. PH normal is ok, but there are many better strings out there that feel the same and are priced better with better tension maintenance.

Got it but if Price of the string was NO matter then what poly would you say is the BEST for spin, power and control. ?

mikeler
08-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Superfeet green are great. If you like those but still need more cushion, the Orange is even better. A little softer and slightly thicker, but same arch support. I can't wear shoes without them now.

They were selling the Green ones locally which is why I got them. The cushioning is not the best with them but certainly better than the insole that comes with the shoe. Maybe I'll try Orange next time.

Got it but if Price of the string was NO matter then what poly would you say is the BEST for spin, power and control. ?

I think you'll only be able to achieve 2 of the 3. It is hard to find a string that is both powerful and you can control your shots well.

msalamon
08-09-2011, 11:05 AM
I have not tried the 361 string so I can't help you there.

Mine started in my right heel and now I have it in both heels. Usually the right is worse than the left. The Super Feet helped some but I still feel it sometimes usually for about 24 hours after a match. I bought a home ultrasound and electrostimulation unit that I use every night which helps. If I just rested that would be best, but I can't do that.

interesting---ultrasound and electrostimulation--that sounds expensive! I was gonna get the Dr. Scholls 330s--but couldn't spend the $50 on them with a clear conscious. If they work, though, it would be well worth it

mikeler
08-09-2011, 11:29 AM
interesting---ultrasound and electrostimulation--that sounds expensive! I was gonna get the Dr. Scholls 330s--but couldn't spend the $50 on them with a clear conscious. If they work, though, it would be well worth it

$83 for both home units.

msalamon
08-09-2011, 12:03 PM
not bad-so do they work?

msalamon
08-09-2011, 12:03 PM
also -where did you find the superfeet locally?

mikeler
08-09-2011, 12:33 PM
not bad-so do they work?

Yes

also -where did you find the superfeet locally?

The sporting goods store near Mall at Millenia.

mikeler
11-10-2011, 12:17 PM
OK, here is my full review of WeissCannon Black5Edge (B5E) 17 Mains/Genesis Thunder Blast (ThB) 16 crosses. Update: Genesis now has white Thunder Blast which is softer than the black and does not leave black marks on the ball. I like it better.

Stringing the B5E in just the mains is pretty easy. Thunder Blast is fairly stiff for a multi which makes it easy to work with as well.

Tension it is strung: 52# mains/56# crosses on a lockout machine
Your regular string set up: This has been it the last few months
String pattern of your racquet: 16 x 20 (Pro Kennex 7G)
Power (or lack there of): Low/Medium powered
Feel: Great feel considering it is partially a poly
Tension maintenance: Terrific all the way to breakage (15 hours)
Price: $11.90/set or $125/reel for B5E and $10/set for ThB or $100/reel
Overall comments and feedback: See below

General: This setup just works perfect for my game. The B5E provides the spin and control while the ThB seems to have this nice controlled power to it.

Serve/Return of Serve: My first serve is pretty good with this setup. The 2nd serve is getting plenty of kick when I hit it properly. Return of serve is the weakest part of my game and I think this setup is the best for me when coming over the ball on a return. Normally I'm content to just chip balls into play.

Strokes: Lots of spin on both wings. Depth control is good. Flattening out balls is where this beats any other setup. If I hit it in the sweet spot, I know exactly what the ball is going to do. Slices are very good with this setup even when the ball gets behind me.

Volleys: This is the best string setup I've ever tried for volleys. Too bad I'm not more of a net player. Guess I need to try and change my mentality.

Touch shots: My drop shots usually work pretty well with this setup. Depends on the day more than the strings.

Softness: This setup is soft enough for my elbow. It helps that I now use the Pro Kennex 7G which is very arm friendly. Not sure if I could handle this setup long term in my old PSTs.

Tension: As the colder weather is slowly filtering down here, I could see myself dropping the tension a few pounds to get some more power.

Durability: I only played with the setup one time until breakage and that was around the 15 hour mark. Most times I'll cut it out after the 12 hour mark when the strings look good and beat up.

Movement: The mains and crosses do move. Not good for the anal retentive types (cough, cough KCraig).

Color: All black looks good in the PK 7Gs. The ThB leaves black lines all over the balls throughout the life of the string. It will turn white at the wear locations which is cool because it allows you to see where you hit the ball on the string bed.

Conclusion: This is an excellent string setup that I've been enjoying for months now. It got me to stop testing other string setups. Now if I could just actually hit the strings every time and not the frame. :sad:

mikeler
11-10-2011, 12:20 PM
^^^ Forgot that I never reviewed the setup I've been using the last 4 or 5 months.

Up&comer
11-12-2011, 06:50 AM
Hmmm. Just read this review on rpm.

Comments: Comfortable string for my golfers elbow. When I dropped the tension to 58lbs from 60lbs the ball pocketing dramatically increased. I can also cut loose with confidence on a flat serve and the ball drops right in. For my backhand I have to really close the face to keep it in.
Level 4.0

Apparently when you string it in the high 50s, it's super comfortable for golfers elbow. In a full bed. Even if you are at a 4.0 level.

Kidddddddinnnnngggg.

mikeler
11-12-2011, 08:54 AM
^^^ That 2 pounds is such a big difference. :)

Up&comer
11-12-2011, 09:00 AM
^^^ That 2 pounds is such a big difference. :)

I think you mean dramatic difference.

mikeler
11-12-2011, 09:24 AM
^^^ Better choice of words.

mikeler
11-15-2011, 04:44 AM
So I strung up B5E/Unifibre gut last night. It was my first ever attempt at stringing natty gut. Man, doing the gut crosses was a chore with trying to keep the string from kinking and doing the weaving while not tearing up the string which did not slide well over the edges of the poly. The final 2 or 3 crosses, there were times where I could see through the middle of the string as it was starting to separate. I was not sure if the final knot was going to hold but it did.

I let it settle in overnight and then just bounced some balls off it and compared it to B5E/Thunder Blast. Did not seem much different just bouncing balls off each setup, perhaps just slightly more pop with the gut. I'll hit with it tonight and report back.

mikeler
11-16-2011, 05:30 AM
I played 2 sets of singles last night in some fairly warm (high of 85) and humid conditions. When I got there, it rained for about 2 minutes. Within minutes we were hitting Har Tru mud balls. I decided to slice most of my backhands since the balls were heavy and my opponent hits a hard flat ball. It worked pretty well.

It is hard to really review a string under those conditions so I'll just post some initial thoughts. I think the sweet spot does feel bigger with gut and there is slightly more pop. The biggest improvement was responding to hard hit balls. Most of the time I'd reply with a blocked defensive shot but still I was able to keep it deep most of the time. Serves still seemed to get some decent kick even with the heavy balls so I'm looking forward to hitting in dryer conditions next time. Only hit two volleys but the 2nd one I felt like a pro for 1 shot.

Initial impression: I would not switch from Thunder Blast to Unifibre for the marginal improvement but let me hit under normal conditions before passing final judgment.

JT_2eighty
11-16-2011, 08:53 AM
So I strung up B5E/Unifibre gut last night. It was my first ever attempt at stringing natty gut. Man, doing the gut crosses was a chore with trying to keep the string from kinking and doing the weaving while not tearing up the string which did not slide well over the edges of the poly. The final 2 or 3 crosses, there were times where I could see through the middle of the string as it was starting to separate. I was not sure if the final knot was going to hold but it did.

I let it settle in overnight and then just bounced some balls off it and compared it to B5E/Thunder Blast. Did not seem much different just bouncing balls off each setup, perhaps just slightly more pop with the gut. I'll hit with it tonight and report back.

Yea, Unifibre is a chore to string, especially in crosses.

Having strung all the major Gut brands, and some of the cheaper ones, Unifibre definitely wins the Most Difficult Gut To String award.

Glad you got through it without them snapping! Those last few weaves are a nightmare, and why I won't use that stuff in crosses anymore. :)

Once strung though, the stuff really does play nice for the price. And as long as you didn't kink it, it should hold up pretty well.

mikeler
11-16-2011, 08:59 AM
Yea, Unifibre is a chore to string, especially in crosses.

Having strung all the major Gut brands, and some of the cheaper ones, Unifibre definitely wins the Most Difficult Gut To String award.

Glad you got through it without them snapping! Those last few weaves are a nightmare, and why I won't use that stuff in crosses anymore. :)

Once strung though, the stuff really does play nice for the price. And as long as you didn't kink it, it should hold up pretty well.

That is good to know. I think I detected an evil laugh from PVAudio as I described how tough the string was to work with! When you actually start seeing through the middle of the strings on the last few crosses, you begin to wonder what went wrong since I was going very slow and being careful.

pvaudio
11-16-2011, 04:56 PM
That is good to know. I think I detected an evil laugh from PVAudio as I described how tough the string was to work with! When you actually start seeing through the middle of the strings on the last few crosses, you begin to wonder what went wrong since I was going very slow and being careful.
Good sir, it was not evil, per se :)

Casco
11-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Black5Edge or Turbo Twist. TT is more powerful and comfy, B5E more control and pretty soft for a copoly:)

WC SilverString, 125 on the mains, and 1.20 on the crosses. 5BE is good for people who need help with spin. At 4.5, I'd imagine spin is not a problem. With heavy topspin hitters, the arc with 5BE is just too great because its edges are very sharp (unlike RPM which has rounded edges on its "gears"). Test both, and you'll see. TurboTwist used to be one of my favorites - my regular string during the Spring and Summer of 2010. I stopped using it because it is simply too lively, particularly in warmer weather. The texture is great, however. It's a round twisted string, not an extruded shaped string, so there are no major edges, just very, very tiny ones perhaps. They are all nice strings, though, and it's worth testing them all!

Casco
11-16-2011, 05:43 PM
Hmmm. Just read this review on rpm.

Comments: Comfortable string for my golfers elbow. When I dropped the tension to 58lbs from 60lbs the ball pocketing dramatically increased. I can also cut loose with confidence on a flat serve and the ball drops right in. For my backhand I have to really close the face to keep it in.
Level 4.0

Apparently when you string it in the high 50s, it's super comfortable for golfers elbow. In a full bed. Even if you are at a 4.0 level.

Kidddddddinnnnngggg.

I'll tell you, though, I've been experimenting a great deal with this string, and yes, it is harsh at high tensions, but at 46 with thicker RPM on the mains (16) and thinner (17) on the crosses, it is beautiful!

Casco
11-16-2011, 05:53 PM
Long time ago I used RPM Blast. Found Weiss Cannon B5E to be similar, maybe a tad more control and less power.

A string specialist told me that RPM Blast tension maintenance is very bad and that B5E is excellent. Any comments about this?:)

At lower tensions, I have found RPM blast tension maintenance to be good. Higher tensions kill it. I have used 5BE extensively, too. A roughly equivalent tension with 5BE, to try to approximately match the feel of RPM (16/17) at 46 is 49 or 50 lbs. Tension maintenance on 5BE is excellent, however. For me, the deal breaker on 5BE are the supersharp edges, which are so "grabby" that the balls trajectory is too arched if one naturally hits with lots of topsin. RPM simply has more control, while 5BE beats it in tension maintenance.

Casco
11-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Well, in just a short while I have manged to make several comments about 5BE and RPM. Last night I strung one of my PSTGT2011s with RPM 16 on the mains and Bab NVY 16 on the crosses. As I've mentioned, I like RPM at 46, but in hybridding poly with softer strings, I have found that one must go up in tension, so I went with 48 (which still might not be high enough but I like to be careful with high tensions for poly). And I went +4 lbs on the NVY crosses, so they are at 52. I will test this out on Friday when I play and will post comments on this setup at some point afterwards.

mikeler
11-17-2011, 04:19 AM
At lower tensions, I have found RPM blast tension maintenance to be good. Higher tensions kill it. I have used 5BE extensively, too. A roughly equivalent tension with 5BE, to try to approximately match the feel of RPM (16/17) at 46 is 49 or 50 lbs. Tension maintenance on 5BE is excellent, however. For me, the deal breaker on 5BE are the supersharp edges, which are so "grabby" that the balls trajectory is too arched if one naturally hits with lots of topsin. RPM simply has more control, while 5BE beats it in tension maintenance.

I know what you are talking about with the ball coming down too soon. I experienced that with Black Widow mains, but do not have that problem with B5E. I'm also considering trying N.Vy as a cross since it seems to get so much love on the boards.

mikeler
11-17-2011, 04:20 AM
Good sir, it was not evil, per se :)

Got my 2nd outing with it tonight if the courts are dry.

pvaudio
11-18-2011, 05:58 AM
Curious to hear about poly/twine pt. 2 :D

mikeler
11-18-2011, 06:07 AM
Curious to hear about poly/twine pt. 2 :D

It seems like I've awakened from my 2 week slump with this setup. Not sure if it is actually the string job or that I just have my head screwed on straight again. Probably the latter. I want to play 1 more time in normal conditions before putting a full review up. Seems to be holding up pretty well so far.

JT_2eighty
11-18-2011, 06:47 AM
It seems like I've awakened from my 2 week slump with this setup. Not sure if it is actually the string job or that I just have my head screwed on straight again. Probably the latter. I want to play 1 more time in normal conditions before putting a full review up. Seems to be holding up pretty well so far.

Yes, despite it's brittle feel out of the package, and the way it seems to unravel when it's woven, it is surprisingly durable. I've never used it with poly mains so I'll be curious how much time you get from it before it breaks. I have noticed that once it is tensioned, it becomes nice and soft, just like gut should be.

mikeler
11-18-2011, 06:50 AM
Yes, despite it's brittle feel out of the package, and the way it seems to unravel when it's woven, it is surprisingly durable. I've never used it with poly mains so I'll be curious how much time you get from it before it breaks. I have noticed that once it is tensioned, it becomes nice and soft, just like gut should be.

It is fraying all over but I don't notice any particular weak spots. Seems pretty thick for a 16g string which I'm sure helps. Toying with the idea of trying it in the mains with B5E crosses next time. If I do that, do you think I should bump up the tension to 58/54 for Uni/B5E?

mikeler
11-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Decided to pull my B5E/Thunder Blast setup out of the bag today. Just wanted to compare it with B5E/Uni. I think the Thunder Blast setup actually feels softer. Either way, both setups are fairly close. The gut is a little nicer on serves/ground strokes while the ThB is better on volleys.

Up&comer
11-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Decided to pull my B5E/Thunder Blast setup out of the bag today. Just wanted to compare it with B5E/Uni. I think the Thunder Blast setup actually feels softer. Either way, both setups are fairly close. The gut is a little nicer on serves/ground strokes while the ThB is better on volleys.

My sentiments exactly. You could try gut mains, but beware the power once that stuff softens up.

mikeler
11-19-2011, 02:52 PM
My sentiments exactly. You could try gut mains, but beware the power once that stuff softens up.

I probably will try gut mains just to see what it is like. Something tells me poly mains are best for our games like you said.

pvaudio
11-19-2011, 04:19 PM
Underestimate the glory of gut/poly at your own loss! :)

mikeler
11-20-2011, 04:28 AM
Underestimate the glory of gut/poly at your own loss! :)

KCraig has been telling me it is great. How high can I go on tension for the Whisper Touch you sent me? I just worry about the high power level.

JT_2eighty
11-21-2011, 07:04 AM
In my trials of gut/poly versus poly/gut, I've noticed that spin and power are better with gut mains. However, directional control, especially redirecting shots, suffers.

The spin is actually too much for my liking with gut/poly, except I do like it on serving kickers. My issue, is that I am still too much of a flat-hitter. For that end, neither setup has ended up being my personal choice.

However, for those looking for comfort and spin, gut/poly is worth a few tries (it may take a couple to dial in proper tension).

pvaudio
11-21-2011, 09:00 AM
I'm stringing WT in the low 50s. It's really not a high powered gut.

mikeler
11-21-2011, 09:21 AM
In my trials of gut/poly versus poly/gut, I've noticed that spin and power are better with gut mains. However, directional control, especially redirecting shots, suffers.

The spin is actually too much for my liking with gut/poly, except I do like it on serving kickers. My issue, is that I am still too much of a flat-hitter. For that end, neither setup has ended up being my personal choice.

However, for those looking for comfort and spin, gut/poly is worth a few tries (it may take a couple to dial in proper tension).

I like the sound of too much spin although I'm flattening more balls out than I used to as my legs slow down.

I'm stringing WT in the low 50s. It's really not a high powered gut.

Ok good. That should work perfect.

CheekyMullet
11-24-2011, 01:21 AM
I'm playing with PHT+Excel in 52/54 on mu Wilson Pro Open right now but planning to try the B5E+Thunderblast hybrid. Would you recommend going with same tension on this setup?

mikeler
11-24-2011, 05:17 AM
I have never used that racket, so I would just compare both setups at the same tension.

Ross K
03-20-2013, 10:31 PM
I never knew there was a mikeler poly thread! :shock::) Mike, so what was your fav one or two poly/multi combos?

mikeler
03-21-2013, 06:47 AM
I never knew there was a mikeler poly thread! :shock::) Mike, so what was your fav one or two poly/multi combos?

Check out post #1 and the first one listed is my GOAT setup...so far.

parasailing
03-21-2013, 05:18 PM
He's cornering the entire string market. Next up, natural gut thread :).

mikeler
03-21-2013, 06:25 PM
He's cornering the entire string market. Next up, natural gut thread :).

I do have a gut/poly thread I recently started. :)

KoaUka
03-29-2013, 04:31 PM
I see a lot of love for the thunderblast as a cross. I will try it out w/ my fav poly, the beast. Anyone ever tried this setup before?

mikeler
03-29-2013, 06:18 PM
I see a lot of love for the thunderblast as a cross. I will try it out w/ my fav poly, the beast. Anyone ever tried this setup before?

I hope to try NVY soon as that seems to be the favorite cross string of most here. PVAudio has tried ThunderBlast and NVY. He likes both but prefers NVY slightly more.

mikeler
03-29-2013, 06:28 PM
My tennis elbow is almost gone again for the 2nd time this year. Thank you Prince Exo Tours and natural gut! I've got a pack of that Solinco Tour Bite Soft sitting in my office. It looks so thin and soft. Initial reviews seem good. Probably will try it with NVY crosses. Thinking 52/56. Anyone try this yet?

Boricua
03-29-2013, 06:43 PM
My tennis elbow is almost gone again for the 2nd time this year. Thank you Prince Exo Tours and natural gut! I've got a pack of that Solinco Tour Bite Soft sitting in my office. It looks so thin and soft. Initial reviews seem good. Probably will try it with NVY crosses. Thinking 52/56. Anyone try this yet?

I have not, sorry. But, this seems like a good setup to try to get good spin and a soft setup, considering its poly mains. Hope to see your review soon! May try it myself depending on your review. What string gauge will you use? There is even a 19 gauge! Too thin I guess, I would go for the 17.

Sander001
03-29-2013, 08:03 PM
TW just put up a review of B5E and they seem to really like it. I hope there will be a written review too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7YdDHZkxSU

I'm trying a full bed of B5E and have put in 3hrs or so and it's ok but I found it below average for spin. I think it's too soft for me to get great spin as I get much more spin with stiffer strings. I'll try it for one more session and see how she goes. Maybe I'll lube her up!

Nostradamus
03-29-2013, 08:28 PM
can you test the pro hurricane feel next ?

mrmike
03-30-2013, 04:17 AM

I have tour bite soft 16 installed right now in one of my C10's. Used 55 lbs, and it feels pretty nice. Not harsh on the arm at all, but only have about 2 hrs on it so far. After the 2nd hit racquet tune says its down 11.5%.

mikeler
03-30-2013, 08:17 AM
TW just put up a review of B5E and they seem to really like it. I hope there will be a written review too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7YdDHZkxSU

I'm trying a full bed of B5E and have put in 3hrs or so and it's ok but I found it below average for spin. I think it's too soft for me to get great spin as I get much more spin with stiffer strings. I'll try it for one more session and see how she goes. Maybe I'll lube her up!

Seems like the TTW consensus is that B5E is best in a hybrid as a main.

can you test the pro hurricane feel next ?

Send me a pack.

I have tour bite soft 16 installed right now in one of my C10's. Used 55 lbs, and it feels pretty nice. Not harsh on the arm at all, but only have about 2 hrs on it so far. After the 2nd hit racquet tune says its down 11.5%.

Full poly or hybrid? I have the 17g which should be even softer.

mrmike
03-30-2013, 12:46 PM
Full poly or hybrid? I have the 17g which should be even softer.

I have it in a full bed. My other frame has has a gut/DM hybrid right now. Quite a contrast, but they are both great setups for different reasons. Played a doubles match today and for that I preferred the gut setup. The tour bite is great in singles when you want to put a little more mph into your groundstrokes.

mikeler
03-30-2013, 01:03 PM
I have it in a full bed. My other frame has has a gut/DM hybrid right now. Quite a contrast, but they are both great setups for different reasons. Played a doubles match today and for that I preferred the gut setup. The tour bite is great in singles when you want to put a little more mph into your groundstrokes.

I'm currently playing with Wilson gut 16 crossed with DM 16. Can you compare the softness of your two setups? The full poly has more power???

Sander001
03-30-2013, 01:07 PM
Seems like the TTW consensus is that B5E is best in a hybrid as a main.I see. Any consensus on tension? Forgot to mention that I like to string a bit higher and a lot of polys don't like this. Strung mine at 63/61lbs on a 98sq" frame though it's not uncomfortable at all.

mikeler
03-30-2013, 01:51 PM
I see. Any consensus on tension? Forgot to mention that I like to string a bit higher and a lot of polys don't like this. Strung mine at 63/61lbs on a 98sq" frame though it's not uncomfortable at all.

I went anywhere from 48-52.

mrmike
03-30-2013, 01:56 PM
I'm currently playing with Wilson gut 16 crossed with DM 16. Can you compare the softness of your two setups? The full poly has more power???

I have Pacific tough gut 15L crossed with DM 16 and it's still much softer and plush compared to the TB soft 16. I guess I should restate that the TB is better when you want to swing with more MPH and keep the ball in the court. The gut hybrid is much better for touch and feel and has more power on tap. For blocking shots and quick exchanges in doubles I definitely prefer the gut setup. The TB gives you an extra measure of confidence to hit out on your shots and of course more spin.

mikeler
03-30-2013, 05:01 PM
I have Pacific tough gut 15L crossed with DM 16 and it's still much softer and plush compared to the TB soft 16. I guess I should restate that the TB is better when you want to swing with more MPH and keep the ball in the court. The gut hybrid is much better for touch and feel and has more power on tap. For blocking shots and quick exchanges in doubles I definitely prefer the gut setup. The TB gives you an extra measure of confidence to hit out on your shots and of course more spin.

Awesome, that is the comparison I needed. I'll probably try Tour Bite Soft with a multi cross then to increase the softness and power level.

mrmike
03-30-2013, 05:17 PM
Awesome, that is the comparison I needed. I'll probably try Tour Bite Soft with a multi cross then to increase the softness and power level.

That is a good plan. This is the first poly I've tried in a while. Last time It was a full bed of B5E and a full bed of standard TB and they gradually started getting to my arm. TB soft is definitely a step in the right direction and easier on the arm but make no mistake, it's still a poly. I have a feeling If I stick with poly it will be some type of hybrid also.