PDA

View Full Version : Most cost effective strings

jas_kidd32
03-26-2011, 04:28 PM
A little intro about myself. I'm a recreational player who plays once a week. I currently use a Dunlop Biomimetic 300 with the stock Dunlop Silk strings at the mid-recommended tension of 60lbs.

The strings have gone dead and I need new ones. I don't have a machine at home so I'll have to pay someone to string at $25 per visit here in Australia. I also wouldn't consider myself a string breaker. Skill-wise I'd say I'm a beginner.

Taking all these parameters into account, what would be the most cost-effective strings? Priorities in order are Tension retention, comfort, then playability. For example, if

a.) I buy a cheap multi which last half the time and I'll have to get it re-strung twice, costing me double the labour
b.) I buy a good natural gut, initial cost will be higher but since tension retention is better then I'll only have to get it strung once during the same period as synthetic strings
c.) I hybrid some strings to gain the best of both worlds

What do you think?

jim e
03-26-2011, 04:50 PM
If you go with the all nat. gut, it will play well until you break it. Very cost effective for most non stringbreakers.
Your problem is that your abilities as a beginner can effect the strings as well, as if you shank a ball it could cost you the strings to break, as that places a good deal of shear stress on the strings, and it may not even break when you shank a shot, but may be broken when you remove it from your bag next time out, as shanked shots will effect the string in some way or another, especially nat. gut..Gut strings are a great economical string for non stringbreakers like myself, that hit a more traditional flatball.If you hybrid the strings, the string that you hybrid the gut with would loose its characteristics before you break the strings normally.
Your best option would be to use a decent multifilament string, (xcell, x-1, nrg2, etc.) , and use it until it is no longer servicable.

Kevo
03-26-2011, 06:00 PM
In my experience, gut strings are not twice as good as synthetic strings at tension maintenance. When I was experimenting with different gut strings, I did not find one that I could use even 50% longer than a good durable multi. Part of the problem is that gut is noticeably more powerful, so as it loses tension it becomes harder to control. This may not be as bad if you tend to hit flat, but it doesn't work so great with topspin.

IMO, if you really want to save money, go ahead and buy a cheap stringing machine. You can recoup your cost in about 10 stringings or less depending on what kind of string you use.

Fuji
03-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Any multi's will do really! Head Rip Control 16 was my first restring experience and I keep going back to it. It's cheap on TW at around $6 a set, and it lasts a bloody long time. I've never broken it, and I hit with a ton of spin. It's comfortable (IMO), and overall a good string. :)

-Fuji

pvaudio
03-26-2011, 07:22 PM
If you're just beginning, then I won't do what I normally do which is recommend natural gut. The reason I say that is because you might end up shanking something which could cause premature breakage...at a great cost.

If you don't break strings, but a reel of Gosen OG Sheep Micro and just give it to your stringer. He'll take care of everything else :)

kiteboard
03-26-2011, 08:15 PM
If you're just beginning, then I won't do what I normally do which is recommend natural gut. The reason I say that is because you might end up shanking something which could cause premature breakage...at a great cost.

If you don't break strings, but a reel of Gosen OG Sheep Micro and just give it to your stringer. He'll take care of everything else :)

Listen to this guy. vs gut/og micro is a great hybrid.

BigT
03-26-2011, 10:10 PM
If you don't break strings, synthetic gut will do.