PDA

View Full Version : shuffle hop on 1HB

tom-selleck
06-21-2005, 06:59 AM
i'm noticing alot of decent players who play 1HB do a little shuffle hop to set themselves before hitting 1HB.

1) have others noticed this??? my guess is yes... i.e. is it common??

2) seems like it's something that could be exploited aggressively. step inside the baseline and hit hard, flat shots to 1HB....

3) what types of balls in general do 1HB (which i find somewhat rare at intermediate level) not handle well? at french open, they said topspin brought ball OUT of federer's strike zone/comfort zone.

thanks in advance.

thejackal
06-21-2005, 12:15 PM
High balls are murder. And in my experience, hitting off the rise is a tricky proposition for most 1hbh.

Rapmaster
06-21-2005, 12:54 PM
Kick it hard and deep to one handers. If they have any real mechanical fault or is in any way not sufficiently strong enough to handle it, the shot will break down. A lot of mishits and weak, short balls will come even if they try to take it on the rise.

I hit a one-hander with an extreme eastern, and although I can hit the ball on the rise decently (with heavy spin), I find that I can't always keep it deep enough. Look to approach on a heavy shot to the backhand on one handers.