PDA

View Full Version : James Blake looks different...

Fuji
03-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Is it just me, or does James Blake tonight look like a weekend warrior? No stencil or anything fancy tonight. He's looking a lot different then I remember him from a while ago. Even my family who don't watch tennis says he looks like he'd be down at the park playing! I just thought it was pretty funny that even for a night match, he's not really dressed up like Nole!

-Fuji

hcb0804
03-27-2011, 06:55 PM
James Blake is over, done, finished. He needs to retire now. He is only EMBARASSING himself out there, like Brett Favre did.
PLEASE James.......QUIT!!

Fuji
03-27-2011, 06:56 PM
Agreeeeed!!! He needs to call it quits soon, maybe become a coach or something! I'd take lessons from him! LOL!

-Fuji

courtking
03-27-2011, 07:02 PM
why would you want to take a lesson from him?? he can't construct a point.. he just goes for broke on everything.. I thought he has a high IQ to go to Harvard but I guess not really..

Fuji
03-27-2011, 07:03 PM
I need some more confidence in my winners! I want to be able to just rip them as hard as I can whenever I can! :D

-Fuji

FedExpress 333
03-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Yes, I think he needs to quit as well. I will always remember him...... as the guy who let R-Fed showcase his 1hbh skills in the 2006 shangai match :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjW-0K6X8jc

Fuji
03-27-2011, 08:45 PM
That Fed backhand clip was crazy! So clean!

-Fuji

The Baseline
03-28-2011, 04:05 AM
James Blake is over, done, finished. He needs to retire now. He is only EMBARASSING himself out there, like Brett Favre did.

How many matches did you win on the tour? ............what your saying is disguisting

Sentinel
03-28-2011, 04:33 AM
That Fed backhand clip was crazy! So clean!

-Fuji
that guy with the white headband is a religious experience !! Is he still active nowadays ?

The_Question
03-28-2011, 05:40 AM
How many matches did you win on the tour? ............what your saying is disguisting

I too, agreed Blake needs to hang it up...yes, go ahead, call me disguIsting...

The Baseline
03-28-2011, 05:49 AM
I too, agreed Blake needs to hang it up...yes, go ahead, call me disguIsting...

LOL..these people that criticize older players are unbelieveable. Blake can still rip and hes a lot older. Most people would dream about even getting into a qualifier at one of these events.

Lambsscroll
03-28-2011, 05:58 AM
He has been with the same coach all this time. Blake should have fired his coach a long time ago.

hcb0804
03-28-2011, 06:34 AM
LOL..these people that criticize older players are unbelieveable. Blake can still rip and hes a lot older. Most people would dream about even getting into a qualifier at one of these events.

Blake is not being smart about this at all. Players that play WELL into their mid to late 30's make changes that will allow them to do so. Players that James Blake has professed great admiration for....Andre Agassi, Jimmy Connors, who played some of their best tennis into their mid, and late 30's did what it took to keep them competitive. Physical conditioning, coaching, adding variety in their games. James refuses to make any changes, and is apparently not smart enough to just look at his peers that he admired, and do what they did!! Duh!!
James Blake made a fool of himself on a big stage in a big tournament where he had a chance to at least make a decent showing that he COULD be competitive against the top players of today. He got schooled by Nole and James acted like a jerk the whole match, walking around with a chip on his shoulder and like he was ****ed off at something the whole time. The crowd would have LOVED to relive some of the great moments of James Blake and to have gotten behind him and rooted for him and seen a good hard fought competitive match. Instead, James Blake acted like he was ****ed off that he even had to be there, and really let his supporters down. If I was a tournament director, I would look at last night and say, "Why the heck should I give this guy a wild card??" Miami sure should not have. Make him play the qualies and see how well he does. His free passes should be used up.

Nuke
03-28-2011, 06:50 AM
How many matches did you win on the tour?

This stupid sort of argument comes up time and time again on these boards.

I DON'T need to be an Academy Award winner to know that a movie is terrible. I DON'T have to play guitar like Eddie Van Halen to have an opinion about music. Why do certain folks here think that you have to be a touring pro to have an opinion about tennis players? Sure, Blake could beat anyone here, but if we have to be top ten material to comment, the discussion might get a bit thin. Opionions welcomed.

bluescreen
03-28-2011, 08:23 AM
He has been with the same coach all this time. Blake should have fired his coach a long time ago.

he split with brian barker (his long time coach) back in '09.

DrpShot!
03-28-2011, 10:23 AM
That's true. He was going downhill before then, but it seems like he fell off a cliff after leaving barker. As a fan, I'd at least like to see him in top physical condition, maybe try for some point construction in his older years. Even Agassi changed his game in his 30s, made it all about one more ball instead of trying for screaming winners off every other shot.

courtking
03-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Blake is not being smart about this at all. Players that play WELL into their mid to late 30's make changes that will allow them to do so. Players that James Blake has professed great admiration for....Andre Agassi, Jimmy Connors, who played some of their best tennis into their mid, and late 30's did what it took to keep them competitive. Physical conditioning, coaching, adding variety in their games. James refuses to make any changes, and is apparently not smart enough to just look at his peers that he admired, and do what they did!! Duh!!
James Blake made a fool of himself on a big stage in a big tournament where he had a chance to at least make a decent showing that he COULD be competitive against the top players of today. He got schooled by Nole and James acted like a jerk the whole match, walking around with a chip on his shoulder and like he was ****ed off at something the whole time. The crowd would have LOVED to relive some of the great moments of James Blake and to have gotten behind him and rooted for him and seen a good hard fought competitive match. Instead, James Blake acted like he was ****ed off that he even had to be there, and really let his supporters down. If I was a tournament director, I would look at last night and say, "Why the heck should I give this guy a wild card??" Miami sure should not have. Make him play the qualies and see how well he does. His free passes should be used up.

Very well said.. He first of all should shave his bear, go blank with a T-shirt rather than that stupid Fila TR logo.. he should play some challenger, work on his fitness and try something new.. new racket.. new coach.. new brain transplant or something.. and stop acting like a jerk when he's playing on a big stage..

Ronaldo
03-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Very well said.. He first of all should shave his bear, go blank with a T-shirt rather than that stupid Fila TR logo.. he should play some challenger, work on his fitness and try something new.. new racket.. new coach.. new brain transplant or something.. and stop acting like a jerk when he's playing on a big stage..

New racket?

Hewex
03-28-2011, 12:13 PM
He needs to grow his hair back out...He'll be Samson!

mctennis
03-28-2011, 12:40 PM

I DON'T need to be an Academy Award winner to know that a movie is terrible. I DON'T have to play guitar like Eddie Van Halen to have an opinion about music. Why do certain folks here think that you have to be a touring pro to have an opinion about tennis players? Sure, Blake could beat anyone here, but if we have to be top ten material to comment, the discussion might get a bit thin. Opionions welcomed.

*ditto. ditto, ditto*
Being a touring pro or not you know when someone is being competitive or just going through the motions.

Seth
03-28-2011, 01:50 PM

Just wanted to quote this post to show my support for this point.

Don't Let It Bounce
03-28-2011, 02:24 PM
I don't know... I can understand the frustration of tennis fans who would like to see him play like he did at his peak. I'd like to see that, too.

However, if I'm employed, I am making a living, I'm fulfilling my obligations to my business associates, my family is OK with it, physical demands will force me to quit in a few years anyway, and most of all I like my job... and a stranger tells me that I have some obligation to quit because, of the thousands of people on the planet who do what I do, a hundred or two of them do it better... I think it might tax my sense of courtesy to keep from laughing in his face.

vsbabolat
03-28-2011, 03:50 PM
I don't know... I can understand the frustration of tennis fans who would like to see him play like he did at his peak. I'd like to see that, too.

However, if I'm employed, I am making a living, I'm fulfilling my obligations to my business associates, my family is OK with it, physical demands will force me to quit in a few years anyway, and most of all I like my job... and a stranger tells me that I have some obligation to quit because, of the thousands of people on the planet who do what I do, a hundred or two of them do it better... I think it might tax my sense of courtesy to keep from laughing in his face.

Blake's ranking has fallen to 173. He won't be able to get too many more wildcards. He is going to have start playing some challengers. He won't get into French Open and Wimbledon with that ranking. He will have to play Qualifying.

Yenster
03-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Just because he's not performing the way he used to doesn't mean he has the retire. Maybe his passion for the game is why he keeps going.

Fuji
03-28-2011, 04:12 PM
Really though, last night watching it didn't look like he had much passion at all. He was almost just going through the motions imo.

-Fuji

Ronaldo
03-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Really though, last night watching it didn't look like he had much passion at all. He was almost just going through the motions imo.

-Fuji

Dead Man Walking?

jackson vile
03-28-2011, 04:55 PM

Do you have any idea how much money these guys make per year even when they are sucking? What are they going to do, stay home and make no money?

They are doing what they love to do and still getting paid huge $.

F*** what losers think, they need to live their own lives.

Fuji
03-28-2011, 05:27 PM
Dead Man Walking?

Pretty much. After the first set you could tell it was over.

-Fuji

Praetorian
03-28-2011, 05:29 PM

Y'know, I was going to comment negatively, but you're right. We don't have to be touring pros to have an opinion on a player. It just means what we say have no weight whatsoever. James on the other hand can look at us and say, "You are the worst tennis player I've seen", and he'd have much more credibility.

Don't Let It Bounce
03-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Really though, last night watching it didn't look like he had much passion at all. He was almost just going through the motions imo.A guy I grew up with is a PGA pro in the last stages of his touring career. He still has his card and can still make a fine living, but he's already made as much money as he'll ever need, so money is a non-factor for him. What is a factor is that he quickly becomes miserable when he's stuck at home and not touring; golf is all he's ever done, really. However, he also despises traveling, so it doesn't take him long to become miserable working, either. He's been known to phone in a performance when that happens.

Maybe Blake is in a Catch-22 like that. I know I've been there in my much more mundane jobs.

Rickenbacker4003
03-28-2011, 07:36 PM

Lol! You can stop comparing a pro to us already. You've been singing that song for a while now. This is a forum and we discuss our thoughts. And everyone's thoughts here is that Blake should call it a day. He's 31 and has done literally nothing to improve his game. He's the exact player from 2005, basically all his career. A one dimensional grip and rip ball basher with declining speed and even less consistency from his better days. Does he need the money? I mean, what's left for him? Of course he could beat us, at least you'd hope so. But for a guy who is used to being a top 20 player he's just wasting his time out there. FFS he doesn't even look like he enjoys playing anymore. Maybe he's fulfilling the Fila endorsement contract until it expires. Because honestly he's doing nothing to make himself resemble the player he used to be. Age 31 and ranked 140 or whatever and still slugging away. If anything we're offering good advice. If you have no problem with seeing him get pummeled week in week out then have fun with that. Personally, I don't believe in beating a dead horse.

Rickenbacker4003
03-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Blake's ranking has fallen to 173. He won't be able to get too many more wildcards. He is going to have start playing some challengers. He won't get into French Open and Wimbledon with that ranking. He will have to play Qualifying.

Exactly, it's getting to the point where he won't even get into tournaments anymore because his ranking is going into the 200's. So even if he wants to keep embarrassing himself out there, no one will grant him the wild cards to do so. They'd much rather save those wild cards for Donald Young and let him make a fool of himself. He has many more years left to do that. :) If James has some pride left, he'll retire after the Us Open if he doesn't get back into the top 100 by then.

Sue
03-29-2011, 08:36 AM
James has been in a bad mood since the whole Gonzo incident in the 2008 Olympics.

hsv91
05-17-2011, 01:41 AM
Why James Blake didn't have a stencil on his racket, have he a sponsor?

Smasher08
05-17-2011, 02:57 AM
Dead Man Walking?

Retired man hacking.

Doubles
05-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Why James Blake didn't have a stencil on his racket, have he a sponsor?

No........

rockcholfo
05-18-2011, 02:43 PM
He needs to grow his hair back out...He'll be Samson!

that's a god answer LOL

klementine79
05-19-2011, 07:20 AM
Do you have any idea how much money these guys make per year even when they are sucking? What are they going to do, stay home and make no money?

They are doing what they love to do and still getting paid huge $.

F*** what losers think, they need to live their own lives.

I'm under the same opinion...

Blake is ranked at 103 currently (in the world).... is 7-6 in 2011... and has banked about $85,000 for the first two quarters of 2011....

If somebody asked me to go out on the courts and lose for $85,000 in six months... I wouldn't have to think twice about it.

Plus, think about all the frequent flyer miles and free shampoo + lotion bottles from the the hotels!!!!! :smile:

Ronaldo
05-19-2011, 08:29 AM

Blake is ranked at 103 currently (in the world).... is 7-6 in 2011... and has banked about $85,000 for the first two quarters of 2011....

If somebody asked me to go out on the courts and lose for $85,000 in six months... I wouldn't have to think twice about it.

Plus, think about all the frequent flyer miles and free shampoo + lotion bottles from the the hotels!!!!! :smile:

He has those travel expenses unless he joins Wilander's Traveling Tennis Troupe.

zapvor
05-19-2011, 08:35 AM

lol hes probably taking the free shampoo at this point

Ronaldo
05-19-2011, 09:49 AM
lol hes probably taking the free shampoo at this point

If Fed is taking the towels, these hotels better boltdown the headboards and black velvet paintings when the pros are back in town.

hsv91
06-19-2011, 02:37 AM
Hello,

which racquet, string and tension did he use actually?

Thanks

chip&chrge
06-19-2011, 04:39 PM
Hello,

Let's say hypothetically he is playing some kind of Dunlop frame still (200 series?) I say he plays whatever he gets paid to play.

But the comment above asking for tension and string type...who are we to tell James what setup is working for him! I mean he is still a professional tennis play, even if he is in the twilight of his career. I say he should use whatever he feels he plays best using.

The Federer clip from 06 is humbling. Considering JB probably smokes everyone here and Federer makes him look like an amateur at times...it just tells you how good these guys are.

Chace
06-19-2011, 04:51 PM
Hello,

Thanks

I believe he uses Lux ALU strung at 68 lbs

vsbabolat
06-20-2011, 03:15 AM
Hello,

Thanks

Blake's frame are the same mold as the Dunlop 300 Tour but with Blake's own custom lay-up.

String is Luxilon Alu Power 1.25 strung at 68lbs.