PDA

View Full Version : similar to prince synt. gut with duraflex

wiibssz
03-28-2011, 01:42 AM
hey guys,

I'm looking for a string that is similar to Prince Synthetic Gut with Duraflex. I use the Head Speed MP 18x20. What I want is a string that has more durability and maybe a tad more spin and power. Overall the Prince Duraflex is a avarage string. It has to 'break-in' but after that, it feels OK.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Wiibssz

wiibssz
03-28-2011, 01:44 AM
Oh I forgot to say that I use an extreme eastern forehand, so I don't use very much top spin. My playstyle is 'baseliner' :D

smucker007
03-28-2011, 02:09 AM
Hrm, Eastern, flat hitter, baseliner..how often do you break your strings? What gauge do you use? Prince Duraflex is a decent string with good durability. You could go to a thicker gauge. If you want spin and power, you might think of going to Multifilament strings...or even hybrid multi mains and syn gut crosses.

wiibssz
03-28-2011, 09:02 AM
hey,

I'm not really a string breaker. Do you think x-biphase will suit my gamestyle? otherwise I will try an thicker gauge or look at multiflament strings. What kind of multiflament strings would you recommend?

Thank you for your quick response!:D

rodrigoamaral
03-28-2011, 05:15 PM
pro supex syn gut spiral flex..

Icedorb217
03-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Mantis Comfort Synthetic has been getting excellent reviews.

kiteboard
03-28-2011, 10:44 PM
16g og sheep micro.

RicoSG
03-28-2011, 11:22 PM
Gamma synthetic gut with wearguard is a nice string very similar to psgd

COPEY
03-29-2011, 02:34 AM

I'm guessing you've never played with MCS; it's absolutely nothing like PSGD.

If by chance it's the firmness of PSGD you like, you might want to give Alpha MXT a go. Even firmer would be KLiP's Scorcher.

mikeler
03-29-2011, 04:28 AM

Like Copey said, MCS is completely different than PSGD.

Gamma synthetic gut with wearguard is a nice string very similar to psgd

This string is fairly close to PSGD but only lasted 2 sets for me both times I used it. I would typically get 5 sets out of PSGD.

wiibssz
03-29-2011, 12:18 PM
Hi everybody,

wow,thanks for the comments!

I know a lot more strings now that I didn't know before hahaha!
Unfortunately at the local tennisstore, they only have strings from babolat(not even rmp...), wilson, head, maybe technifibre and prince. I have on my other racquet (APDC) RPM Blast, that string plays very well, is that an idea on my Head Youtek Speed mp 18x20?

Wiibssz

smucker007
03-29-2011, 02:03 PM
You can always order strings from TW or someplace and have them install it. If you are not a frequent string breaker, why do you want more durability? Usually strings trade durability for power/comfort/spin. If you want spin/power you might try prince topspin which isn't too far from the normal syn gut. It isn't too much more price-wise as well.

Multis are great for eastern forehand strokes..try something cheaper if you are just trying them out..Prince has syn gut Multi..or Wilson Sensation. From what I hear Mantis Comfort Syn is low on power, right Mikeler?

tray999
03-29-2011, 04:02 PM
pro supex syn gut spiral flex..

That makes two!

galain
03-30-2011, 03:16 AM
Long time PSG+D user here and I've recently really been enjoying Volkl's Gripper. Nice string, quite a crisp feel, no breakage issues yet.

mikeler
03-30-2011, 04:06 AM
You can always order strings from TW or someplace and have them install it. If you are not a frequent string breaker, why do you want more durability? Usually strings trade durability for power/comfort/spin. If you want spin/power you might try prince topspin which isn't too far from the normal syn gut. It isn't too much more price-wise as well.

Multis are great for eastern forehand strokes..try something cheaper if you are just trying them out..Prince has syn gut Multi..or Wilson Sensation. From what I hear Mantis Comfort Syn is low on power, right Mikeler?

Yes it is fairly low powered.

Long time PSG+D user here and I've recently really been enjoying Volkl's Gripper. Nice string, quite a crisp feel, no breakage issues yet.

Is the Gripper as stiff as PSGD?

wiibssz
03-30-2011, 05:30 AM

Ok! thanks for your comment. I have an extreme eastern forehand, so I'm hitting with a bit more spin than with eastern. Of course I can hit flat balls, but there is more spin in my game I think haha:p. The thing with psgd, is that I can see that is wears down. The first hits with it were horrible, it was very hard on the arm, but aftern 6 trainingsessions, it began to loosen up. But, it's loosen up fast. That is why I want to have a more durable string with a bit more spin, power and an bigger sweetspot. My current racquet is more control oriented, so I can still control the ball right?;D

If I try RPM Blast with an thinner gauge, would that be ok for a dense string pattern?

galain
03-30-2011, 11:13 PM
Yes it is fairly low powered.

Is the Gripper as stiff as PSGD?

It's hard to say for sure. At the moment I'm using a very dense stringbed so I'm sure that has a bit to do with it, but feel wise it's very similar.

mikeler
03-31-2011, 05:43 AM
It's hard to say for sure. At the moment I'm using a very dense stringbed so I'm sure that has a bit to do with it, but feel wise it's very similar.

OK, thanks for the info.