PDA

View Full Version : Should I change my grip??

SageOfDeath
06-21-2005, 10:33 AM
This isn't the topic you might think it was because I might want to change my grip for a different reason than most. My current grip is a full western or at least I thought it was a full westerm but you know how the base and your index finger determines what grip you are using? Well my grip has the base on semi-western and the part of my index finger on full western. My strokes are very solid. I was trying to figure out what my grip was based on the contact point and it seems most comfortable a little bit above my waist but I usually don't hit that high. My contact point is definately out in front of my however. It seems like a tight fisted semi- full western grip.

The problem is that I'm not sure if I should keep this grip.... Will it hurt my fingers the way I am gripping the the racquet? Will this cause problems later on? Do any of you have a grip like this???

Thanks your help is appreciated.

Rickson
06-21-2005, 10:41 AM
Grip changes take a little time to adjust, but if it's what you want, then do it. I play with a semi western the vast majority of the time, but when I play someone I know I can beat easily, I horse around with the western grip and send some explosive topspin forehands to them. The problem is when I play someone with heavy pace, the western grip falls apart on me so I don't even try it. I also decided to stop messing around with the western altogether because it throws off my usual sw grip. My point is to stick with 1 grip and perfect it so switch to the semi western because it sounds like you already use it, but have a straying finger that goes toward western.

ZhangM58
06-21-2005, 11:08 AM
The reason your finger hurts holding a semi-western grip is because you are cranking on the grip too tight, loosen it up. It might feel weird at first, even when you try to hit. You get much more power and spin that way. Also, your wrist might feel a bit pressure, because the more loose you hold your racquet, the more "wristy" it gets. I hope this helped, but I don't recommand changing grips if you have solid strokes.

ZhangM58
06-21-2005, 11:17 AM
Speaking of grips, I think the grips really gotten into my head lately. ok can someone clear this up for me. hitting with a semi-western grip, is your knuckle between 3rd and 4th on ON 4th? I saw in a Tennis mag. that says its ON 4th. Or is it personal perference.

ffrpg
06-21-2005, 12:15 PM
I have a semi-western grip and my knuckle is on the 4th bevel.