PDA

View Full Version : gut mains or crosses HELP

Boricua
03-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Is gut mains-copoly crosses much better in playability and feel than copoly mains-gut crosses?

Will gut mains still have good control?

I am a 4.5 baseliner with heavy topspin using APDGT:)

finalfantasy7
03-28-2011, 03:30 PM
most players prefer gut mains, due to most pro's have it this way. Also that they say mains do more work than crosses- having gut as a cross pointless. Never tried gut as crosses, but what works for us may not be the case for you. If u have 2 same rackets try both and see, as only u know how u play

nvottennis
03-28-2011, 03:33 PM
imo, I like gut mains. However, it does NOT produce amazing spin. However, it is comfortable and provides a reasonable amount of power.

smucker007
03-28-2011, 03:35 PM
80% of the stringbed feel is from the mains..so if you want the stringbed to feel more like gut, string gut main, if you want the stringbed to feel more like the poly, string poly main. Gut mains will have great control, spin, comfort and power. If I use gut it'll be in the mains. If you start experiencing notching, then put some string savers in there.

Boricua
03-28-2011, 03:45 PM
imo, I like gut mains. However, it does NOT produce amazing spin. However, it is comfortable and provides a reasonable amount of power.

Not so much spin but with proper technique, watch out. look at Fed and Nole,gut mains, wicked topspin:)

rudester
03-28-2011, 05:45 PM
I have tried both combinations many times. I much prefer gut mains, and with the right poly I notice plenty of spin potential, almost as much as full poly in my case. and the amazing feel is the best benefit of gut mains. IMHO of course.

Lambsscroll
03-29-2011, 05:00 AM
most players prefer gut mains, due to most pro's have it this way. Also that they say mains do more work than crosses- having gut as a cross pointless. Never tried gut as crosses, but what works for us may not be the case for you. If u have 2 same rackets try both and see, as only u know how u play

Like he said try both. For myself I get great control with gut 16g/17g poly. I haven't tried 16g poly/17 gut though. I did try 17g poly/16g gut and the playability and control wasn't as good as the 16g gut/17g poly.