PDA

View Full Version : why do many suggest a syn gut string for newbies?

djNEiGht
03-29-2011, 09:27 AM
why do many suggest a syn gut when it's a new player?

I've been curious about this suggestion I got when I started posting sometime last year. When I posed a question in someones "suggest a string for a beginner" thread, I got the Gosen OG or syn gut suggestion. At that time I was probably a 2.5ish player and had played with what ever stock strings came with my racquet, a random syn gut that the local shop tied up for me, and a suggestion of a stringer to do a hybrid Asterisk/PHT.

I feel that my tennis game has improved to a 3 to a once in a while 3.5 player. In my quest to find a favorite string for me and for the different racquets, I've gone through a bunch more strings from a syn gut, shaped poly, co-poly, & multis. I've considered going back to a hybrid as I had a run of GE during the months of Dec-early Feb. I started to play more with multi's and then as of late with rain or a thing called life have played less and my GE has gone away (except when i swing a bat which i've never felt before while playing softball). Could also be that it's warming up with winter behind us.

my guesses as to why go the syn gut route vs a premium string for a newbie are
-still learning...save money
-technique needs to be refined as to build and strengthen the tennis motion
and could get GE/TE with harsher polys as elbow isn't conditioned

cheers

mikeler
03-29-2011, 09:31 AM
All good reasons you mentioned, but at your level your time should be dedicated to focusing on technique. Once your technique is refined and you get in shape, that is probably a good time to start tinkering with your gear.

djNEiGht
03-29-2011, 10:40 AM
thanks mikeler. appreciate your contributions to this place.

pvaudio
03-29-2011, 10:49 AM
Very simple, actually. A beginning player needs to just get his or her stroke fundamentals down. The string at that point will not be contributing to the success of their playing if their technique is wrong. Therefore, using the cheapest string that's not uncomfortable (aka Forten Nylon 15L) and will just get the ball back is what you need. I honestly played numerous tournaments as a junior with Gamma Syn Gut 18 simply because it was cheap. Only towards the end of high school did I switch to NRG2 which I played with for over 5 years.

Dags
03-29-2011, 10:56 AM
Syn gut is a good first recommendation for any player, not just a beginner. They are at the middle of the spectrum in most properties, and have the added advantage of being keenly priced.

As a stringer, if someone comes to me and doesn't have a clue what they want, I'll suggest that we start with syn gut at the middle of the recommended tension range for their racquet. We can then adjust from there; and I know a number of very decent club players who stick with the syn gut.

ethebull
03-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Syn gut is a great middle of the road string. It is not outstanding at anything, but it works pretty well across the board. Inexpensive, fairly comfortable, it continues to be a great choice for recreational players and a good many more accomplished players.

finalfantasy7
03-29-2011, 11:07 AM
if u want a syn thats very good playability n price try MANTIS POWER SYNTHETIC

pvaudio
03-29-2011, 11:18 AM
Syn gut is a good first recommendation for any player, not just a beginner. They are at the middle of the spectrum in most properties, and have the added advantage of being keenly priced.

As a stringer, if someone comes to me and doesn't have a clue what they want, I'll suggest that we start with syn gut at the middle of the recommended tension range for their racquet. We can then adjust from there; and I know a number of very decent club players who stick with the syn gut.I know D1 and D2 college players playing full syn gut. I'm pretty sure if Jim Courier could play with Sheep Micro, then most players just prefer strings other than syn gut :)

djNEiGht
04-04-2011, 08:23 PM
My brother in law (4.5+ all court w great touch, net game, 1hbh, flat stroke both wings) usually plays w whatever is cheapest syn gut fr the local shop. His last string job was PSGD in a Babolat APD. He usually strings up at 60#s. I had gotten a couple more of the 361/beast xp strings and gave him a set. He usually isn't picky and can play with what ever string. I told him to string it around 55# but he opted for his reg tension.

Well...he doesn't like it. Felt like wood, harsh, and no control or feel. He doesn't usually play w a dampener. Maybe he might like one on this set up or hope it gets better as I settles. He says he might cut them out very soon and go back to some good old syn gut.

Some just love the PSGD.

djNEiGht
04-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Thx for all the posts btw

baek57
04-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Because it's the cheapest.

pvaudio
04-05-2011, 08:14 AM
if u want a syn thats very good playability n price try MANTIS POWER SYNTHETICCorrect me if I'm wrong, but MPS is the most expensive syn gut you can buy. It's 10-12 bucks depending on where you go when that's more than the cost of many great polys and multis.

dadozen
04-05-2011, 09:09 AM
All of the above. Syn gut is the cheapest string, while not compromising the new player's health. At this stage, he/she just needs to think about improve the technique and getting the ball to the other side of the court. He/she wouldn't be able to get the advantages of poly/kevlar/natural gut.