PDA

View Full Version : Multi That Plays Like A Poly

larry10s
03-30-2011, 10:07 AM
is there such a string???

pvaudio
03-30-2011, 10:09 AM
You'll have to elaborate. What qualities are you looking for? Head Rip Control plays absolutely nothing like Laserfibre SNGPS and they are both multis. Babolat Revenge plays absolutely nothing like Kirsch PL2 and they're both polys.

Bartelby
03-30-2011, 10:11 AM
The reality is that multis don't all play the same and neither do polys, so the sensible question is: given that polys are, in fact, stiffer, which multis most pick up on this characteristic.

mikeler
03-30-2011, 10:49 AM
You'll have to elaborate. What qualities are you looking for? Head Rip Control plays absolutely nothing like Laserfibre SNGPS and they are both multis. Babolat Revenge plays absolutely nothing like Kirsch PL2 and they're both polys.

I think Head RIP Control is a good starting point. A little bit stiffer than most multis and very spinny.

Bartelby
03-30-2011, 11:06 AM
I am not into chemistry and haven't tried the strings, but RIP Control is a member of a class of strings that contain polyolefins of which the most famous example is Isospeed Professional

So its possible that these types of string available in isospeed and head may be worth looking at as they are low power multifilaments with some polyester characteristics.

I can't say I'm tempted.

[d]ragon
03-30-2011, 11:09 AM
You could try Tecnifibre Promix, it's a multifilament polyester

mikeler
03-30-2011, 11:42 AM
ragon;5532544']You could try Tecnifibre Promix, it's a multifilament polyester

I have not tried that one yet but I was impressed with both Tecnifibre DuraMix and Wilson NXT Control which are both multifilament/poly blends.

mrtrinh
03-30-2011, 12:08 PM
nxt control

Hominator
03-30-2011, 12:25 PM
Not a multi, but you may want to try Prince Recoil. It has a lot of poly properties, w/out the harshness and it won't go dead like a poly.

Boricua
03-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Not a multi, but you may want to try Prince Recoil. It has a lot of poly properties, w/out the harshness and it won't go dead like a poly.

So what is Recoil, a multi or a poly or a mix of both?:)

Boricua
03-30-2011, 12:51 PM
I have not tried that one yet but I was impressed with both Tecnifibre DuraMix and Wilson NXT Control which are both multifilament/poly blends.

How do these two compare in softness, control, tension maintenance and durability?:)

mikeler
03-30-2011, 12:55 PM
So what is Recoil, a multi or a poly or a mix of both?:)

It is a solid core multifilament.

How do these two compare in softness, control, tension maintenance and durability?:)

Check out my multis thread for the reviews.

pvaudio
03-30-2011, 03:40 PM
So what is Recoil, a multi or a poly or a mix of both?:)No, it's just the most overpriced string on the market.

mikeler
03-30-2011, 04:48 PM
No, it's just the most overpriced string on the market.

Not fun if you string for yourself either.

pvaudio
03-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Not fun if you string for yourself either.
Not fun unless you're sponsored, you mean :D

jim e
03-30-2011, 06:30 PM
If you want a multi that plays like a poly, then why don't you just hit with a poly?

levy1
03-30-2011, 06:57 PM
I am not into chemistry and haven't tried the strings, but RIP Control is a member of a class of strings that contain polyolefins of which the most famous example is Isospeed Professional

So its possible that these types of string available in isospeed and head may be worth looking at as they are low power multifilaments with some polyester characteristics.

I can't say I'm tempted.
I used isospeed professional 17 cross with klip natural gut. The isospeed went dead in about 10 sets and I strung it 10lbs higher. And I mean it went dead. I had just come off polys crosses with gut mains and was trying to get the same feel. Now I am using Head Rip 17 which is a stiffer feel so I will see how long it lasts. The Isospeed was to soft for me

Virtua Tennis
03-30-2011, 08:25 PM
is there such a string???

There sure is, some that you can try is
Luxilon M2 or M2 Plus
Prince Poly not a complete multifilament but it's not a mono either

If you want softer multifilaments but with poly wraps try
Gamma Asterisk Tour (My favorite in 17ga)
or Wilson Red Alert

rofl_copter3
03-30-2011, 08:29 PM
Isospeed has to be strung tight 60+ it does feel muted but is much more powerful than most poly's...

larry10s
03-31-2011, 08:17 AM
If you want a multi that plays like a poly, then why don't you just hit with a poly?

arm issues

vandre
03-31-2011, 08:52 AM
larry, i love this stuff

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Yonex_Tour_Super_850_16_String/descpageACYONEX-ATG850.html

or this

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Yonex_Tour_Super_850_Pro_16_String/descpageACYONEX-Y85016.html

it plays like poly in that you can swing out and not have the ball sail on you and its got massive spin potential. i've gone through alot of this string but i've never had it break on me yet. when it "dies", it goes like poly does (i've never had a longevity issue with it, though). got some in the rqis now and life is good!!!!

larry10s
03-31-2011, 05:11 PM
to all so far and those in the future thanks for the replies:)

mikeler
04-01-2011, 05:42 AM
larry, i love this stuff

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Yonex_Tour_Super_850_16_String/descpageACYONEX-ATG850.html

or this

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Yonex_Tour_Super_850_Pro_16_String/descpageACYONEX-Y85016.html

it plays like poly in that you can swing out and not have the ball sail on you and its got massive spin potential. i've gone through alot of this string but i've never had it break on me yet. when it "dies", it goes like poly does (i've never had a longevity issue with it, though). got some in the rqis now and life is good!!!!

To me, the Yonex felt like a typical multifilament string. Nothing about it stood out as having characteristics of a poly.

origmarm
04-01-2011, 06:45 AM
Agree on the Yonex with Mikeler. It was in no way whatsoever crisp. Muted and limp.

Promix and Duramix are good examples of what you are looking for with one being mostly poly and the other mostly nylon. Wilson NXT Control is one I have yet to try but want to. Gauge seems a bit thick though. I also interested in trying X-Code but I hear the feel is like a "rubberised poly" which doesn't sound that great at all frankly.

mikeler
04-01-2011, 07:18 AM
Agree on the Yonex with Mikeler. It was in no way whatsoever crisp. Muted and limp.

Promix and Duramix are good examples of what you are looking for with one being mostly poly and the other mostly nylon. Wilson NXT Control is one I have yet to try but want to. Gauge seems a bit thick though. I also interested in trying X-Code but I hear the feel is like a "rubberised poly" which doesn't sound that great at all frankly.

The NXT Control is very soft, you would never know it has poly in it. The gauge looks more like a 16L to me if that is better for you.

Boricua
04-01-2011, 08:31 AM
The NXT Control is very soft, you would never know it has poly in it. The gauge looks more like a 16L to me if that is better for you.

I hit with alot of topspin, how many hours of playing time should I expect from this string before it breaks or goes dead?:)

mikeler
04-01-2011, 10:10 AM
I hit with alot of topspin, how many hours of playing time should I expect from this string before it breaks or goes dead?:)

Eight hours.

corners
04-01-2011, 10:45 AM
larry, i love this stuff

or this

Does the 850 Pro stuff continue to give the same or similar amount of spin until the end? I've heard that it doesn't move, or rather that it snaps back into line like a poly. Does it continue to do this after several hours of play?

vandre
04-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Does the 850 Pro stuff continue to give the same or similar amount of spin until the end? I've heard that it doesn't move, or rather that it snaps back into line like a poly. Does it continue to do this after several hours of play?

it seems like it keeps its spin potential throughout the life of the string and i can tell you for a fact it doesn't migrate at all (or didn't on me). when it did go dead on me, it seemed to go in the same fashion as my last set of pro hurricane did. it didn't move on me much even when i was cutting it out! i had it in the racquet for a year (i was alternating frames) and it lasted a year and then some before i decided to yank it.