PDA

View Full Version : Help stringing RPM Blast 17

Filipinotennis
03-30-2011, 05:39 PM
Hi, i own a Kilppermate stringing machine and I string racquets for my high school tennis team. My friend wants me to try and use Babolat RPM Blast 17 strings, but I always run into trouble trying to string it. I mostly have trouble on the mains because the strings keep breaking on me. I now know polyester strings don't stretch much, but it would be nice to get some advice from people that have strung racquets with this string. Iv'e tryed to search the web for an answer, but i can't seem to find one. If you have any advice it would really help alot.

pvaudio
03-30-2011, 05:52 PM
...You break RPM while stringing? The only strings I've ever broken while stringing are very cheap e Bay natural gut and 1.18mm Technifibre NRG2 because I pulled it as though I was stringing a poly. Where did you buy the RPM? Are you sure it's legitimate and not a Chinese knockoff? I ask because they're floating around on e Bay.

Kyle7286
03-30-2011, 06:48 PM
- Calibrate your stringer man.. check the tension and make sure everyting is ok...
- Check the String for any defects that would cause a break.
- Check the racquet you were stringing and make sure none of the gromets are cutting into the string.
- Check your stringing technique....
- These strings are hard to break and they stretch just fine.

esgee48
03-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Also check the pressure on your clamps. If they're too tight, they could damage the string.

Where are the strings breaking when you attempt to string?

Also do not push down on the tensioning bar to make it horizontal. RPM does not stretch much, so adjust the string length at the string gripper.

Filipinotennis
03-30-2011, 07:38 PM
...You break RPM while stringing? The only strings I've ever broken while stringing are very cheap e Bay natural gut and 1.18mm Technifibre NRG2 because I pulled it as though I was stringing a poly. Where did you buy the RPM? Are you sure it's legitimate and not a Chinese knockoff? I ask because they're floating around on e Bay.

I'm pretty sure that these stings are legitimate... my friends bought them from a tennis express store in Houston

Filipinotennis
03-30-2011, 07:42 PM
So right now im just wondering, do I start the tensioning bar halfway, and then pull it parallel?

Filipinotennis
03-30-2011, 07:48 PM
Also check the pressure on your clamps. If they're too tight, they could damage the string.

Where are the strings breaking when you attempt to string?

Also do not push down on the tensioning bar to make it horizontal. RPM does not stretch much, so adjust the string length at the string gripper.

Oh and to answer your question the strings are breaking on the mains

esgee48
03-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Where on the main are they breaking?

Are there indents on the poly from too much clamp pressure? If they're breaking at an indent, then your clamps are way too tight.

Or are the mains breaking near the frame? Check grommets for cracks or damage.

Just ensure you have enough slack between the string gripper and the frame for the bar to become horizontal on its own. Do not apply pressure by pushing down on the bar as this will also break poly strings. If the bar will not become horizontal, add more slack.

BTW, what racquet are you trying to string? Some Prince racquets have sharp edges/turns near the throat. I ended having to tube that area to prevent breakage.

pvaudio
03-30-2011, 11:37 PM
If the strings are legitimate (which was honestly my first thought since there's so much garbage floating out there for cheap), then I would say that it's a clamp issue. It is incredibly difficult to break this string while stringing, especially on a constant pull machine which is what a drop weight is. On a crank, if you just rip the handle then maybe. As the bar falls to parallel, it's using just elementary physics to tension your string for you. Therefore, I don't see any issues there unless you're tensioning at 80+ lbs. Even then, Sampras was stringing super thin natural gut at over 70lbs (well he wasn't doing it himself, but you get my point). I'd say to check to make sure that you both have your clamps set so that they just hold the string in place and do not compress it, and to NEVER press down on the bar if it doesn't go parallel. You need to apply the force gradually and naturally. If you press down, you are applying so much more tension than you think that you'd be shocked if you calculated it out. Trust me on this one not because I know, but because there is a thread in the stringing forum where someone has taken the time to do physical derivations of the science behind dropweight stringers. It's an incredible thread to read if you're interested. I highly suggest reading it even if you don't fully understand all of the physics involved.

RyanRF
03-31-2011, 01:10 AM
As others have said, DO NOT push down on the dropweight bar. Any additional force you apply to the bar could easily be multiplied 5-10 times to the string.

If the bar doesn't rest horizontally, then just feed more or less string in to it.

I use a Klippermate and on the rare occasion I break when pulling tension, it is because I accidentally knicked the string with scissors or some other sharp edge.

Carolina Racquet
03-31-2011, 04:42 AM
Interesting. I guess one possibility is extreme kinking of the string if the coil got knotted up and you weakened it.

Don't think there's anything unique to RPM that would cause breakage.

GlenK
03-31-2011, 05:03 AM
I have not used this string but just bought two sets for my inventory.
On the string pack it says string the 1.25@ 52 lbs, and the 1.30@ 62 lbs.

Are these recommendations correct??

rich s
03-31-2011, 08:52 AM
So right now im just wondering, do I start the tensioning bar halfway, and then pull it parallel?

you DON'T pull the bar, you adjust the string in the gripper so that bar is parallel to the floor/table top when you let go of it.....

pulling the bar is a sure fire way to break string while stringing.

DavaiMarat
03-31-2011, 09:04 AM

This is likely the culprit especially if your using floating clamps.

Remember you only need to clamp tightly the 1st couple of strings. The rest you can loosen the clamps a bit especially if you got diamond dusted ones.

Filipinotennis
03-31-2011, 05:35 PM
Ok thanks for all the advice. I believe its primarily the clamp pressure and the just pulling the bar down. And I know this was a pretty stupid thread to start but i just wanted to know how to string this stuff. I just started stringing racquets this year and im still learning. So again, thanks for all the help

pvaudio
03-31-2011, 06:02 PM
Ok thanks for all the advice. I believe its primarily the clamp pressure and the just pulling the bar down. And I know this was a pretty stupid thread to start but i just wanted to know how to string this stuff. I just started stringing racquets this year and im still learning. So again, thanks for all the help
There is no such thing as a stupid thread when asking for legitimate advice :)

Ronaldo
03-31-2011, 06:12 PM
This may help, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIo_bRLljMI

Filipinotennis
04-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Yeah the vid should help alot

Fugazi
04-01-2011, 02:45 PM
The only few times I broke strings while in hundreds of attempts is when the strings were twisted a little. Has to be perfectly straight when you pull, or else there will be too much pressure on a small portion of the strings, making them break.

spillai
04-16-2011, 10:40 AM
Check the grommets! I broke 2 strings while trying to string a racket once. If it breaks at a specific spot, try waxing the grommet. Also, go slowly while tensioning and be careful!