PDA

View Full Version : Full nat gut tension

formula16
03-30-2011, 10:09 PM
I am planning on stringing my k90 with a full bed of natural gut. What tension should i string the mains and crosses? i hit with a lot of spin

i usually string gut/poly hybrids at 57/54 pounds

baek57
03-31-2011, 12:18 AM
why don't you just use 57 then?

formula16
03-31-2011, 12:41 AM
isn't natural gut very powerful?

grover
03-31-2011, 04:43 AM
I string my full gut set up a few pounds higher than where I want it and they say the tension with gut drops a few pounds. Whats great about gut and rarely talked about on this board is that the tension never changes after the initial drop and gives you complete peace of mind until it breaks. Yes gut is powerfull but with lots of control. Try a tension a few pounds over what you currently use and go from there. Tonic offers good value if you have never played with gut.

Keifers
03-31-2011, 11:29 AM
Yes, I would go higher than your tension for gut/poly. 60 or 62.

Let us know how it plays for you.

AG30
03-31-2011, 03:12 PM
I would recommend 60-62 lbs. I switched from a poly/multi hybrid @ 55/58 to full natural gut @ 62 once, and it was not overly powerful though it did take some getting used to.

TaihtDuhShaat
03-31-2011, 05:40 PM
I would recommend 60-62 lbs. I switched from a poly/multi hybrid @ 55/58 to full natural gut @ 62 once, and it was not overly powerful though it did take some getting used to.

This was in a 90" frame? I vote 57M/55C

kiteboard
03-31-2011, 05:48 PM
54lbs on main, and 56 on crosses.

ricardo
03-31-2011, 08:17 PM
According to TW (http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/reporter.php),

NG, multi/polys are more powerful at 50-60 lbs than at 40lbs.

If you want less power, string at less than 50 lbs or higher than 65 lbs.

If you have arm problems, string at less than 50 lbs for more comfort and less power.

baek57
03-31-2011, 09:51 PM
One of the reasons you want to string at 57 is because you only want to change one variable at a time. Since you are already used to a gut hybrid just keep the tension the same (57) and see how you like it from there.

scotus
03-31-2011, 11:55 PM
One of the reasons you want to string at 57 is because you only want to change one variable at a time. Since you are already used to a gut hybrid just keep the tension the same (57) and see how you like it from there.

Changing one variable at a time is usually a good idea, but perhaps not in this case.

Gut is very expensive, and I bet the OP wants to get it right the first time.

Now, let's see what happens if you string it at the usual 57 and it turns out too powerful. Having used numerous sets of full gut and gut/polys, I know it would most likely be too powerful at that tension. In this case, the OP would have to cut out and waste a full set of gut. If the OP is using premier gut, that's $43 (and labor) down the drain.

But what if you strung it higher, say 60-62? If it turns out too tight, all he has to do is let the racquet sit for a couple of days, or use it for a few hours of practice (players like Kuznetsova even steps on the string bed to loosen it up instantly). And if he chooses to, he can string it a bit looser next time, somewhere between 57 and the new number.

At any rate, the point is that there are ways to lower the tension after a string job, but there is no way to raise the tension.

formula16
04-01-2011, 02:16 AM
Changing one variable at a time is usually a good idea, but perhaps not in this case.

Gut is very expensive, and I bet the OP wants to get it right the first time.

Now, let's see what happens if you string it at the usual 57 and it turns out too powerful. Having used numerous sets of full gut and gut/polys, I know it would most likely be too powerful at that tension. In this case, the OP would have to cut out and waste a full set of gut. If the OP is using premier gut, that's $43 (and labor) down the drain.

But what if you strung it higher, say 60-62? If it turns out too tight, all he has to do is let the racquet sit for a couple of days, or use it for a few hours of practice (players like Kuznetsova even steps on the string bed to loosen it up instantly). And if he chooses to, he can string it a bit looser next time, somewhere between 57 and the new number.

At any rate, the point is that there are ways to lower the tension after a string job, but there is no way to raise the tension.

yes indeed, cost is an issue otherwise i would not be seeking opinions, i would be testing different tensions myself!

you said you used full gut. What tension do you string and what racquet?

THANKS

scotus
04-01-2011, 12:14 PM
yes indeed, cost is an issue otherwise i would not be seeking opinions, i would be testing different tensions myself!

you said you used full gut. What tension do you string and what racquet?

THANKS

I like high tension for gut. My usual tension for VS at 70-72 lbs on a 100-sq-in ProKennex 7G.

scotus
04-01-2011, 12:25 PM
BTW my recommendation for you still stands at 60-62 lbs.

I used to string gut at lower tensions and very gradually went higher and higher. Not recommended for most people.

Boricua
04-01-2011, 12:41 PM
According to TW (http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/reporter.php),

NG, multi/polys are more powerful at 50-60 lbs than at 40lbs.

If you want less power, string at less than 50 lbs or higher than 65 lbs.

If you have arm problems, string at less than 50 lbs for more comfort and less power.

But Ive heard that the lower the tension, the more power you get. Lately Ive heard the opposite concerning copolys and now gut. String gut under 50 for control and not affecting arm, is that it?:)

Boricua
04-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Im a heavy topspin player. I am trying to determine what is the best setup for me. So, how many playing hours will I get from a full poly setup before it looses tension and goes dead or breaks? Obviously, approximate playing time expected before the latter happens.

formula16
04-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Im a heavy topspin player. I am trying to determine what is the best setup for me. So, how many playing hours will I get from a full poly setup before it looses tension and goes dead or breaks? Obviously, approximate playing time expected before the latter happens.

get your own thread...

and full poly lasts 3-5 hrs max for me

baek57
04-01-2011, 03:04 PM
get your own thread...

If full poly only lasts that long why do you want to use full gut? It most certainly won't last as long. My k90 is strung with full gut at 50lbs btw.

formula16
04-01-2011, 06:18 PM
i dont break the poly, it goes dead on me

gut plays well until it breaks right?

Boricua
04-01-2011, 06:42 PM
get your own thread...

I meant full gut, no need to be rude, bud!

formula16
04-02-2011, 12:32 AM
sorry, you hijacked my gut tension thread asking about full poly!