PDA

View Full Version : String/tension recommendation

sstchur
03-31-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm going to be trying out a racquet tonight that I've never tried before: The Gamma Tour 320X.

It's stiffer than I've always believed I liked, but I'm going to give it a try b/c I've had success in the past with Gamma frames (I like the thinner 20mm beam, and the no-gimmicks/just-pure-graphite construction).

I've also been wanting to try out Mantis Comfort so I was planning to string up the 320X with it, but I'm looking for some suggestions.

Knowing that I like a softer/ball-pocketing feeling in my stringbed (in fact, I can't really overstate that enough -- I need that ball-pocketing feeling when I hit), may help folks offer relevant suggestions.

My current racquet is the Fischer Pro One 98 (no tolerance), usually strung with a soft multi at M: 51, X: 54 (right now I have Alpha Gut 18 in them, but I've enjoyed Maxim Touch in the past).

I was thinking of trying Mantis comfort at that same tension in the Gamma, but I've also considered hybriding it with a poly in the crosses. Something like:

M: Mantis Comfort @ 50
X: Pro Supex Big Ace Micro @ 47

(Big Ace Micro is the only poly I have at the moment).

But looking to those of you have know/have tried Mantis (and those of you who may be familiar with the 320X) for other potential setup suggestions.

Thanks!

mikeler
04-01-2011, 04:51 AM
I consider myself somewhat of a Mantis Comfort 16 and Maxim Touch 17 expert since I've played with them for a long time. I've also played with Big Ace Micro's larger brother Big Ace 16 for almost a year as a main string. Mantis Comfort in the mains may not last very long with the poly but I may be wrong since BA is smooth.

If you do try a full bed of Mantis, they recommend stringing above 58#. Don't worry, it is still crazy soft even at 60# on my crank machine. It is a very low powered string, so if you like more power the lower tension may work better for you.

sstchur
04-01-2011, 07:25 AM
I consider myself somewhat of a Mantis Comfort 16 and Maxim Touch 17 expert since I've played with them for a long time. I've also played with Big Ace Micro's larger brother Big Ace 16 for almost a year as a main string. Mantis Comfort in the mains may not last very long with the poly but I may be wrong since BA is smooth.

If you do try a full bed of Mantis, they recommend stringing above 58#. Don't worry, it is still crazy soft even at 60# on my crank machine. It is a very low powered string, so if you like more power the lower tension may work better for you.

Thanks Mikeler. I didn't end up seeing your post until after I already made a decision.

I went with a full bed of Mantis at M:54,X:51 (lock-out). Definitely did feel soft. One of the problems in assessing it is that I was also trying out a new racquet.

However, my initial impression was more or less favorable. I do sort of think though, that you're right, it might need a higher tension. In fact, for the first time in a long time, I'm feeling like I might want to try higher tensions. I'm not sure how much of that though, might be due to the feeling I'm getting from the Gamma 320X, where I normally use the Fischer Pro One 98.

mikeler
04-01-2011, 09:11 AM
Thanks Mikeler. I didn't end up seeing your post until after I already made a decision.

I went with a full bed of Mantis at M:54,X:51 (lock-out). Definitely did feel soft. One of the problems in assessing it is that I was also trying out a new racquet.

However, my initial impression was more or less favorable. I do sort of think though, that you're right, it might need a higher tension. In fact, for the first time in a long time, I'm feeling like I might want to try higher tensions. I'm not sure how much of that though, might be due to the feeling I'm getting from the Gamma 320X, where I normally use the Fischer Pro One 98.

It works great for me at 60# on my lockout machine. Just wish it lasted a little longer.