PDA

View Full Version : Titan, Klip and Pacific Classic in the fray

Lambsscroll
03-31-2011, 03:19 PM
Guys, I'm liking the Titan natural gut 16g in the mains but I think it starts fraying way too early. Is there a natural gut thats under 30 bucks here at TW that frays less or not so soon as Titan?

MAX PLY
03-31-2011, 03:23 PM
I really like Pacific personally. While I find it to not be quite as good as Babolat, for the money I have found it to be better than others in/or below that price range. I would say that every now and then I get a bad set, but so it can go with gut.

pvaudio
03-31-2011, 03:29 PM
Titan is the worst natural gut on the market. Honestly, there are countless multifilaments that are superior. If you want to spend less than 30 bucks, go on e Bay and pick up some PerforMAXX. I honestly now prefer the feel to Babolat VS.

2Hare
03-31-2011, 03:32 PM
get yourself some thermogut coating from babolat. it really helps to keep the gut from fraying as much. I dunno if babolat makes it anymore though.

Lambsscroll
03-31-2011, 03:38 PM
Does Pacific Classic or anything from Klip fray less or not as soon as Titan?

Lambsscroll
03-31-2011, 03:42 PM
Titan is the worst natural gut on the market. Honestly, there are countless multifilaments that are superior. If you want to spend less than 30 bucks, go on e Bay and pick up some PerforMAXX. I honestly now prefer the feel to Babolat VS.

I rather give my cash to TW. So which NG here at TW do you recommend?

spdskr
03-31-2011, 03:50 PM
I have been using both Klip Legend and Pacific Classic for the past few years. Pacific lasts longer before fraying than Klip in my experience. If your goal is less fraying at a price under $30, perhaps Pacific is your string. The feel of Klip and Pacific is quite different. I also find them quite different to string. But these are comments unrelated to your question.

parasailing
03-31-2011, 03:54 PM
I am still testing out Pacific Tough Gut and so far I prefer VS instead but it does look to lack a bit longer but plays a bit stiffer as well.

pvaudio
03-31-2011, 04:01 PM
I rather give my cash to TW. So which NG here at TW do you recommend?*Puts hands up in defeat* Suit yourself. Before saying that, however, I recommend looking into the string I mentioned and who is making it. Let's just say that the guy behind it all has very extensive experience in running one of the best known brands of natural gut on the market. But hey, if you want to go TW, then the only one I can recommend is VS Team. I wouldn't spend money on anything else.

Lambsscroll
03-31-2011, 04:07 PM
*Puts hands up in defeat* Suit yourself. Before saying that, however, I recommend looking into the string I mentioned and who is making it. Let's just say that the guy behind it all has very extensive experience in running one of the best known brands of natural gut on the market. But hey, if you want to go TW, then the only one I can recommend is VS Team. I wouldn't spend money on anything else.

VS Team (42.95) for the playability or that it frays less or not as soon as Titan? Its really the fraying I'm most concerned with. Multis don't slide along polys as well as NG so thats why they are out. Plus resiliency is much longer with NG.

pvaudio
03-31-2011, 04:21 PM
Lambsscroll, please just trust me on this one. Titan gut is the worst gut that money can buy. Honestly, I would use Global over it any day of the week. With that said, VS Team plays the best and frays the least. I would put Pacific Tough, then Pacific Prime, then anything Klip. I wouldn't consider anything else.

jim e
03-31-2011, 04:29 PM
Guys, I'm liking the Titan natural gut 16g in the mains but I think it starts fraying way too early. Is there a natural gut thats under 30 bucks here at TW that frays less or not so soon as Titan?

Pacific Blue Spiral is a nice gut, and it goes for $29.95 at TW so it fits your price range of under $30.00
It is a softer feel then VS, very comfortable string. A decent price range for a string as such. Its easy to string up, and decent durability for a gut string.

Rabbit
03-31-2011, 08:30 PM
Does Pacific Classic or anything from Klip fray less or not as soon as Titan?

Be aware that Titan is basically Klip seconds. It is from the Klip factory from what I've been told. So, you're getting cosmetic imperfections from Klip so they will play the same.

I like Pacific Classic and feel it has the best bang for your buck. It sure doesn't fray.

I'm currently playtesting Blue Spiral, and have a set of Tough and Prime and a set of Tonic. (Given my like of Classic, I just couldn't justify spending $43 on VS. Although I must say that another e-tailer has the new Bull Fibre and I have been tempted to try a set.) Once I've hit all of them, I plan to post my experience.

ricardo
03-31-2011, 09:10 PM
I prefer Titan gut 17g over Babolat Xcel ($18), Wilson NXT ($17) and other premium multi's i have used.

click here for details:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=372863&highlight=titan+gut+17g

Whenever anyone says Titan gut is the worst string, i always ask:
1-What are your expectations about the strings you use, i.e spin, durability, playability, comfort, price, tension maintenance, power...
2-What tension do you use
3-Do you use full bed or hybrid

Stating that a string is the worst string without specifiying any expectations is not very helpful...

Lambsscroll
04-20-2011, 04:55 AM
I just wanted to update my findings with Titan 16g. I went from 61 pounds down to 49 pounds and after 6 hours of hard hitting I hardly see any fraying. No signs of unraveling either. I guess with Titan it shouldn't be strung any higher than 55 pounds.

ricardo
04-20-2011, 10:33 AM
I just wanted to update my findings with Titan 16g. I went from 61 pounds down to 49 pounds and after 6 hours of hard hitting I hardly see any fraying. No signs of unraveling either. I guess with Titan it shouldn't be strung any higher than 55 pounds.

I have been hitting with the Titan Gut 17g (mains @42 lbs) for 17 hours and there is no sign of notching/fraying yet. However, the crosses (Head Rip Control) broke at 17 hours.

Since the Titan gut 17g still looks good, i re-strung just the crosses using Technifibre E-Matrix 17g.

Bent
04-20-2011, 10:39 AM
I have been hitting with the Titan Gut 17g (mains @42 lbs) for 17 hours and there is no sign of notching/fraying yet. However, the crosses (Head Rip Control) broke at 17 hours.

Since the Titan gut 17g still looks good, i re-strung just the crosses using Technifibre E-Matrix 17g.

You naughty guy :-)

I do this some times. Use string savers. The E-Matrix is not very durable and the "used gut" may be worn.

levy1
04-20-2011, 04:58 PM
I have been using both Klip Legend and Pacific Classic for the past few years. Pacific lasts longer before fraying than Klip in my experience. If your goal is less fraying at a price under $30, perhaps Pacific is your string. The feel of Klip and Pacific is quite different. I also find them quite different to string. But these are comments unrelated to your question.
I agree

Klip has a stiffer feel, Pacific is mushy to me.

alidisperanza
04-20-2011, 08:40 PM

Halle-flippin-lujia!!! I'm not the only one that can't stand it, haha. Can't speak for Performaxx but I'm rather enjoying Gaucho at my nice 14.00/set.

JT_2eighty
04-22-2011, 06:35 AM
Is there a natural gut thats under 30 bucks here at TW that frays less or not so soon as Titan?

Pacific Blue Spiral is a nice gut, and it goes for $29.95 at TW so it fits your price range of under $30.00
It is a softer feel then VS, very comfortable string. A decent price range for a string as such. Its easy to string up, and decent durability for a gut string.

+2
That's the one.

If you want a stiffer feeling gut, Pacific Classic.

The_Question
04-22-2011, 11:15 AM
Titan is the worst natural gut on the market. Honestly, there are countless multifilaments that are superior.

I beg differ...Gaucho is the worst on the market as far as gut strings...those things breaks easily on a light hitting days...

alidisperanza
04-22-2011, 04:19 PM
I beg differ...Gaucho is the worst on the market as far as gut strings...those things breaks easily on a light hitting days...

I guess each person has their own experience. I had the exact reverse experience with multiple sets of Titan. When properly strung, Gaucho holds up much much better.