PDA

View Full Version : RPM Blast vs Genesis Black magic --- GREAT Review is UP. Pretty Accurate to the TEE

Fedace
03-31-2011, 05:03 PM
http://www.tennis-bargains.com/2011/03/review-rpm-blast-vs-genesis-black-magic.html

I agree with Pretty much Everything this dude saids. but Speak little louder man.... Anyway,,,,, i do like that Extra spin from RPM blast but seems like Genesis Black magic is Better in EVery other department. so I am not sure what to do here. I am not sure if i can live without that extra spin from RPM blast,,,,now that i got used to it...................lol:):)

flashfire276
03-31-2011, 05:07 PM
Yes, yes, YES!!
I just tried Black Magic for the last month. And I totally agree, this stuff is practically better than RPM in every department. Sure, I lost a bit of spin. But it's only $10 a set! Unbeatable!

Fedace
03-31-2011, 05:11 PM
Yes, yes, YES!!
I just tried Black Magic for the last month. And I totally agree, this stuff is practically better than RPM in every department. Sure, I lost a bit of spin. But it's only $10 a set! Unbeatable!

Is there anyway, i can compensate for that loss of spin ?? I am just afraid i can't make my Kick serve kick up as much like Roddick does. in doubles, this is a killer go to serve for me when in trouble.

pvaudio
03-31-2011, 07:05 PM
:lol: I have to admit, you do make me laugh. Now you're saying that you serve like Andy Roddick...because of a string choice.

flashfire276
03-31-2011, 07:35 PM
Is there anyway, i can compensate for that loss of spin ?? I am just afraid i can't make my Kick serve kick up as much like Roddick does. in doubles, this is a killer go to serve for me when in trouble.

When it comes to Black Magic, I doubt it. Unless you want to lead up your racquet a bit for more swingweight on those serves, I'm not sure. The strings aren't very sensitive to string tension, but I guess you can give that a shot.

J_aces
03-31-2011, 08:07 PM
:lol: I have to admit, you do make me laugh. Now you're saying that you serve like Andy Roddick...because of a string choice.

Its a psychological thing

weksa
03-31-2011, 08:48 PM
but Speak little louder man....

I happened to watch the review earlier today, and I was thinking just the same thing haha!

Pwned
03-31-2011, 09:10 PM
lol Fedace, you finally tried Genesis strings? After months of talking about getting a set.

Icedorb217
03-31-2011, 09:41 PM
lol Fedace, you finally tried Genesis strings? After months of talking about getting a set.

Hes tried their gut before. Im not sure about polys

scotus
03-31-2011, 11:13 PM
Never thought of Genesis as a generic brand. Maybe it is.

EdVin70
04-01-2011, 04:48 AM
http://www.tennis-bargains.com/2011/03/review-rpm-blast-vs-genesis-black-magic.html

I agree with Pretty much Everything this dude saids. but Speak little louder man.... Anyway,,,,, i do like that Extra spin from RPM blast but seems like Genesis Black magic is Better in EVery other department. so I am not sure what to do here. I am not sure if i can live without that extra spin from RPM blast,,,,now that i got used to it...................lol:):)

Fed, I am right there with you on the extra spin when RPM is fresh ...

I found that the extra pop on my serve with the BM compensated for the decreased bite. My kicker is actually a little heavier with the BM although it doesn't hop up quite as high, does that make sense? Also, I find that the spin difference between the two is great reduced after about 4 hours - because the RPM starts to go away so quickly I find strokes starting to carry long at about that mark and have to start hitting under the ball more. That's essentially the adjustment I make with the BM when I want to roll them over. But when its time to flatten it out, especially on returns - BM is far superior. BM is much crisper on volleys too.

On backhand slices, I found that RPM allowed me to hold the racquet back longer and get away with a "quick chop" (I'm a one hander). The drop shot potential is huge as you know. BM, being a little stiffer, favors a longer stroke on the slice compared to RPM but produces a nice flat trajectory with good spin. Drops shots are tougher and I'm trying to get them not to sit up as much, I think its a combination of the stiffness and reduced bite, not terrible though.

I tried the twisted razor and found it to be just too stiff, it is as spinny (if not more) than RPM but didn't have the overall performance of BM.

I just received a reel of BM and am going to use it as my string of choice. I've been using low tensions on all the polys (I just love them but got TE from RPM last year) and will string BM about 4libs higher than RPM for a little more control due to the added pop. So we're talking right about 40lbs or so. At that tension, BM will be spinnier for me than maybe for some others at higher tension (still less than RPM of course).

I'm out of shape and playing mostly doubles, so the overall characteristics of BM fit me fine. I'm full western and use the same grip on my 1 hander, big cuts at the ball and big top; I'm thinking that in a couple of months when I am playing more singles that I will have learned how to adjust to the string enough to compensate for the decreased spin.

Maybe I'll just have to not swing as hard

Fedace
04-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Fed, I am right there with you on the extra spin when RPM is fresh ...

I found that the extra pop on my serve with the BM compensated for the decreased bite. My kicker is actually a little heavier with the BM although it doesn't hop up quite as high, does that make sense? Also, I find that the spin difference between the two is great reduced after about 4 hours - because the RPM starts to go away so quickly I find strokes starting to carry long at about that mark and have to start hitting under the ball more. That's essentially the adjustment I make with the BM when I want to roll them over. But when its time to flatten it out, especially on returns - BM is far superior. BM is much crisper on volleys too.

On backhand slices, I found that RPM allowed me to hold the racquet back longer and get away with a "quick chop" (I'm a one hander). The drop shot potential is huge as you know. BM, being a little stiffer, favors a longer stroke on the slice compared to RPM but produces a nice flat trajectory with good spin. Drops shots are tougher and I'm trying to get them not to sit up as much, I think its a combination of the stiffness and reduced bite, not terrible though.

I tried the twisted razor and found it to be just too stiff, it is as spinny (if not more) than RPM but didn't have the overall performance of BM.

I just received a reel of BM and am going to use it as my string of choice. I've been using low tensions on all the polys (I just love them but got TE from RPM last year) and will string BM about 4libs higher than RPM for a little more control due to the added pop. So we're talking right about 40lbs or so. At that tension, BM will be spinnier for me than maybe for some others at higher tension (still less than RPM of course).

I'm out of shape and playing mostly doubles, so the overall characteristics of BM fit me fine. I'm full western and use the same grip on my 1 hander, big cuts at the ball and big top; I'm thinking that in a couple of months when I am playing more singles that I will have learned how to adjust to the string enough to compensate for the decreased spin.

Maybe I'll just have to not swing as hard

so you are saying my serve will be even better with BM even though it may have less spin. ? am i correct in saying this. and becareful with calling Black Magic,,,BM. LOL In my profession, BM stands for Bowel movement...:)

TennisJC
04-02-2011, 06:22 AM
Yes, yes, YES!!

Actually when I bought a 660' Reel (16-17 sets), I got free shipping and came out to be like $5 or $6 a set when I did the match :) Way at the bottom of that article there's a 10% off coupon code "TENNISBARGAINS" for the extra $8-$9 discount...

TennisJC
04-02-2011, 06:24 AM
Yes, yes, YES!!

Actually when I bought a 660' Reel (16-17 sets), I got free shipping and came out to be like $5 or $6 a set when I did the math :)

Way at the bottom of that article there's a 10% off coupon code "TENNISBARGAINS" for the extra $8-$9 discount...

ethebull
04-02-2011, 06:47 AM
Shhhhh! Quiet everybody, the baby is asleep in the next room.

dgoran
04-02-2011, 07:14 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_TZYOCmRFjmI/SmU5KPF3s7I/AAAAAAAACls/XqSPnxltoEA/s400/Elaine-Seinfeld-Dingo_l.jpg

[SHOUTING]:
MAYBE DINGO ATE YOUR BABY :)

Bartelby
04-02-2011, 07:41 AM
Yes, well, you do have a side to you with that malicious little laugh.

Fedace
04-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Never thought of Genesis as a generic brand. Maybe it is.

Genesis is really making a name for themselves. Not sure if they use completely different material than other big names like Luxilon or Babolat poly's or what ??

cork_screw
04-03-2011, 02:08 AM
People seem to compare strings now by color than other properties. RPM vs Blackcode. Do people understand than the pigment has nothing to do with the properties of play?

Djokolate
04-03-2011, 02:20 AM
I wish I could try Genesis.
They sound epic.

EdVin70
04-03-2011, 07:25 AM
so you are saying my serve will be even better with BM even though it may have less spin. ? am i correct in saying this. and becareful with calling Black Magic,,,BM. LOL In my profession, BM stands for Bowel movement...:)

LOL ... its going to be known as the Doody string:)

I wouldn't say that your kicker will be "better" but I do think the extra pop gives it a different effect as compared to RPM. I string pretty low so I would imagine that allows more pocketing from the Black Magic as well ...

Remember, the Black Magic 17 is a thin co-poly so its going to afford you some nice spin, just not as much

I used two frames during a fun match, one with almost new RPM and one with Black Magic and switched off a couple of times, that really gave me a good idea of what the strengths of each are.

Its not perfect but it suit my game really well at the moment

Fedace
04-03-2011, 07:41 AM
LOL ... its going to be known as the Doody string:)

I wouldn't say that your kicker will be "better" but I do think the extra pop gives it a different effect as compared to RPM. I string pretty low so I would imagine that allows more pocketing from the Black Magic as well ...

Remeber, the Black Magic 17 is a thin co-poly so its going to afford you some nice spin, just not as much

I used two frames during a fun match, one with almost new RPM and one with Black Magic and switched off a couple of times, that really gave me a good idea of what the strengths of each are.

Its not perfect but it suit my game really well at the moment

I think i will try it. RPM doesn't give me enough power on my groundies. Especially if i play on Smooth fast surface, my topspin just sits up and says HIT me. I had very good success with KICK serve with Kirsch Proline 2 in the past and enjoyed its power too. Do you think Black magic is superior or about the same as Proline 2 ?? Proline 2 is also considered one of the best polys in the market.

jgtthd
04-04-2011, 01:49 AM
i can't believe people are saying they don't get anough power from Blast. try dropping a few lbs. i went from 52 to 48 when i moved to blast and love it. great power, spin and feel.
i really don't think it can be compared to genesis; its miles ahead.
a nissan gtr goes 200+ miles but you can't compare it to a ferrari...

EdVin70
04-04-2011, 05:25 AM
i can't believe people are saying they don't get anough power from Blast. try dropping a few lbs. i went from 52 to 48 when i moved to blast and love it. great power, spin and feel.

That's a good comparison, the Ferrari will be in the shop more frequently while the Nissan GTR will be on the road, and a tune and tranny service on the GTR won't cost you $10K. Do they have the same WOW factor, of course not.

Genesis Black Magic is not RPM but its a good co-poly that has a leg up on RPM in a couple of areas. If I could get RPM for say $150 a reel I wouldn't be trying to find a replacement, but at $225 a reel and how quickly it goes dead - I just can't stick with it.

jgtthd
04-04-2011, 06:17 AM
That's a good comparison, the Ferrari will be in the shop more frequently while the Nissan GTR will be on the road, and a tune and tranny service on the GTR won't cost you $10K. Do they have the same WOW factor, of course not.

Genesis Black Magic is not RPM but its a good co-poly that has a leg up on RPM in a couple of areas. If I could get RPM for say $150 a reel I wouldn't be trying to find a replacement, but at $225 a reel and how quickly it goes dead - I just can't stick with it.

listen fair enough on the cost. RPM is not the cheapest string in the word but i am lucky enough that the cost doesn't bother me (not trying to sound like a dick there) so when i talk about the strings i am talking based on proformence only. No string will last forever. i am just saying that i have played with genesis, alu rough, black code and about 20+ more stings and for me perosnally RPM blast is the favorite. ok i have to cut them about every 7 days but i had to do that with alu rough and most other strings that i have played with and didn't break before that BUT for the days that the string plays for (and again for ME) RPM is the best

old coach
04-04-2011, 06:22 AM

Here is your remarks within 7! days. Most of the people would not be able to go through sets as quick as you did. In fact some strings keep pretty decent tension within that time table.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=5524498&postcount=1
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=5525616&postcount=6
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=5527461&postcount=23
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=5539252&postcount=1

Played for a week or two??? only been 4-5 days between you first and last post.

jgtthd
04-04-2011, 07:30 AM
Here is your remarks within 7! days. Most of the people would not be able to go through sets as quick as you did. In fact some strings keep pretty decent tension within that time table.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=5524498&postcount=1
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=5525616&postcount=6
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=5527461&postcount=23
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=5539252&postcount=1

Played for a week or two??? only been 4-5 days between you first and last post.

i have been playing tournaments are training 4-5 hours a day so gave them a good run for their money. i did initially really like tornado but after all the playing i have been doing they just don't hold up.
thanks for all the quotes by the way from myself...get out much?:twisted:

acer4tennis
04-05-2011, 06:30 AM
^^^^^^^^^^
troll is trolling
tournaments, practice 4-5 hrs. Must be a great player

jgtthd
04-05-2011, 06:52 AM
^^^^^^^^^^
troll is trolling
tournaments, practice 4-5 hrs. Must be a great player

i'm getting better that's for sure :twisted:

AverageJoe
04-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Can anybody compare Pro Line II to Black Magic?

Fedace
04-05-2011, 06:38 PM

there is a Thread on this already in string section.

AverageJoe
04-05-2011, 06:49 PM
there is a Thread on this already in string section.

Search it is. Thanks!

PED
04-05-2011, 06:49 PM

I think the power and elasticity is better in pl2. BM has better grab on the ball. PL2 lasted longer for me as well.

BM is cheap at 10 a set but the deal on TW right now gives you pl2 at 6 a set. I bought a few to revisit it.

To me, the better comparison with rpm would be typhoon.

Typhoon FTW over BM every time.

AverageJoe
04-05-2011, 08:06 PM
I think the power and elasticity is better in pl2. BM has better grab on the ball. PL2 lasted longer for me as well.

BM is cheap at 10 a set but the deal on TW right now gives you pl2 at 6 a set. I bought a few to revisit it.

To me, the better comparison with rpm would be typhoon.

Typhoon FTW over BM every time.

Hm...thanks for the feed back!

rodrigoamaral
04-19-2011, 04:10 PM
I think i will try it. RPM doesn't give me enough power on my groundies. Especially if i play on Smooth fast surface, my topspin just sits up and says HIT me. I had very good success with KICK serve with Kirsch Proline 2 in the past and enjoyed its power too. Do you think Black magic is superior or about the same as Proline 2 ?? Proline 2 is also considered one of the best polys in the market.

Fedace: did you ever get a chance to try out the black magic? if so, how did you find it compares to rpm?

jreyn66
02-15-2014, 09:42 PM
I don't really understand the comparisons like black magic is a cheaper alternative to RPM. If you really like RPM but want cheaper, look for other strings that play more similar to RPM than black magic does. I've played with both, they are a lot different. If you have a lot of weight in your shot and use a lot of top spin, don't need extra power out of your strings but could use more control, go with RPM. If you don't and could use a little more power, go with black magic. I think black magic plays more like a cheaper version of kirshbaum turbo touch... not anything like RPM. Maybe it was the similar look and random postings from a long time ago that started this whole comparison. If black magic was red and called red magic, maybe people would compare it to red code (which it's actually more like than RPM). If you wanted a mix of the spin and control of RPM but the extra power and better price of black magic, go with signum pro tornado.

scotus
02-15-2014, 11:05 PM
I don't really understand the comparisons like black magic is a cheaper alternative to RPM. If you really like RPM but want cheaper, look for other strings that play more similar to RPM than black magic does. I've played with both, they are a lot different. If you have a lot of weight in your shot and use a lot of top spin, don't need extra power out of your strings but could use more control, go with RPM. If you don't and could use a little more power, go with black magic. I think black magic plays more like a cheaper version of kirshbaum turbo touch... not anything like RPM. Maybe it was the similar look and random postings from a long time ago that started this whole comparison. If black magic was red and called red magic, maybe people would compare it to red code (which it's actually more like than RPM). If you wanted a mix of the spin and control of RPM but the extra power and better price of black magic, go with signum pro tornado.

You are responding to a thread that is nearly 3 years old.

Just chill.