PDA

View Full Version : Kirschbaum premium synthetic gut/Volkl synthetic gut

Matchball
04-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Has anybody tried these synthetic gut strings?

I am using pro supex titan, it's quite soft but too neutral, currently looking for
something more "premium" for hybrid string jobs.

I hope I can find something better and I would expect Kirschbaums and the new Volkl offering to be better (?)

ccelis
04-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Very curious myself. Hopefully someone has tried it. I get the impression it's a powerfull string.

Matchball
04-01-2011, 12:42 PM
I mostly want it for hybrids.

Too much power is not ideal, I 'd expect a synthetic gut used in a hybrid string job to add "feel", without sacrificing spin and control.

I almost always do hybrids. Pro supex titan is not bad, it's just not perfect, feels a little dull... Maybe I am just searching for something crispier, but not like Prince synthetic gut.

Volkl synthetic gut is new, not many must have used it. Not a clue about Kirschbaum premium synthetic gut either.

maxpotapov
12-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Here's the review I found on stringforum website:
No problems during stringing, little recoil memory, easy to weave the crosses. It did stretch during stringing, but not extremely.

Played on clay with Wilson Tour balls.
Compared to the Kirschbaum Basic Profi Tour this new string provides increased power. There is not as much string movement as with the Basic Profi Tour, however it notches very quickly. It feels smoother than the Basic Profi Tour, which seems to negatively affect topspin and slice.
With the Basic Profi Tour you could see the ball bite by the felt which stuck to the strings and almost burned into the strings. This is not the case with the new Synthetic Gut Premium, so spin potential is less and in combination with the increased power the consequence is less control.
Comfort is not as good as with the Basic Profi Tour, but still okay.
Although the string moves less, it notches more quickly. The string lasted 6 hours which matches the average durability of the Basic Profi Tour. Tension stability was okay throughout these 6 hours.

Now I'm curious about Basic Profi Tour,
http://www.kirschbaumusa.com/products/view/basicprofitour
Has anybody tried this?

Schwelli
12-08-2011, 12:57 AM
Here's the review I found on stringforum website:

Now I'm curious about Basic Profi Tour,
http://www.kirschbaumusa.com/products/view/basicprofitour
Has anybody tried this?

i think the synthetic gut premium replaces the basic profi tour so profi tour will not be available anymore soon.

maxpotapov
12-08-2011, 04:52 AM
i think the synthetic gut premium replaces the basic profi tour so profi tour will not be available anymore soon.
OK, now I see it is an older model. Question remains, how good is Kirschbaum Premium Syn Gut compared to Gosen OGSM, which is twice cheaper...

Peppershaker
12-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Was looking for a spool of black Syn Gut for a local High School player who uses a hybrid of Gamma 16&17 SG on his racquet. He chews thru strings in 2-3 weeks top, but his parents want him to stay away from Poly for awhile yet. I only charge HS players but figured I'd try and find a replacement string that I could purchase as a spool to drive their costs down further. Purchased the K Prem SG in a spool since it's not avail in packs to try, went with the Premium figuring it would be close.............wasn't. Could tell as I was stringing that the string seemed softer, and possibly even lighter (didn't check this) and it didn't last even a couple of days for the kid.

Since I had a spool figured I'd try it in my racquet, first impression was it'll be cut out that night at my usual tension of 63 lbs seemed mushy, soft and didn't seem to provide much control. Ended up leaving it in have used it twice since have decided I'll try it as a hybrid in crosses but mains not...

Resided to purchasing Gamma Black Syn Gut in packs.......hate the wasted string.

maxpotapov
12-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Was looking for a spool of black Syn Gut for a local High School player who uses a hybrid of Gamma 16&17 SG on his racquet. He chews thru strings in 2-3 weeks top, but his parents want him to stay away from Poly for awhile yet. I only charge HS players but figured I'd try and find a replacement string that I could purchase as a spool to drive their costs down further. Purchased the K Prem SG in a spool since it's not avail in packs to try, went with the Premium figuring it would be close.............wasn't. Could tell as I was stringing that the string seemed softer, and possibly even lighter (didn't check this) and it didn't last even a couple of days for the kid.

Since I had a spool figured I'd try it in my racquet, first impression was it'll be cut out that night at my usual tension of 63 lbs seemed mushy, soft and didn't seem to provide much control. Ended up leaving it in have used it twice since have decided I'll try it as a hybrid in crosses but mains not...

Resided to purchasing Gamma Black Syn Gut in packs.......hate the wasted string.

Thanks for the detailed account of your experience, saved me some money! :)
Mushy and soft and not much control at 63 lbs hmm... :???: And did not last a couple days for the kid... Sometimes my Gosen OGSM crosses last longer, than Polylon mains. Even though they thin out they just refuse to break.
I guess I will have to look for something more premium than Gosen OGSM elsewhere :confused:

Steve Huff
12-10-2011, 06:08 PM
I have a reel of the Kirshbaum Syn 16. I really like it. It may become my main Synthetic Gut. It strings up easily too. Almost feels like a multi going in, except it doesn't stretch that much. Durability has been good for those I've strung it for too.

Peppershaker
12-10-2011, 06:21 PM
Steve do you have the regular SG or the Premium? The Premium does string like a multi, definately doesn't feel or play like any SG I've ever used (Gamma, Prince, or Gosen), wondering if I should have gone with the basic SG.

TennisCJC
12-11-2011, 07:37 PM
If you want a premium syn gut (mono with one or 2 wraps), try the syn gut version of tnt2. It is a very good string but expensive for a syn gut at $10 a pack. Personally, this is too expensive.

If you are going to play this string as a cross in a hybrid, you might want to try alphagut 2000 with is a multi but it plays crisp like a syn gut. It is $5.90 a set but I have never seen a reel.

maxpotapov
12-11-2011, 09:25 PM
If you want a premium syn gut (mono with one or 2 wraps), try the syn gut version of tnt2. It is a very good string but expensive for a syn gut at $10 a pack. Personally, this is too expensive.

If you are going to play this string as a cross in a hybrid, you might want to try alphagut 2000 with is a multi but it plays crisp like a syn gut. It is $5.90 a set but I have never seen a reel.

As for me, I am a chronic string breaker, I need something soft and durable to cross with softer poly. People are telling me that I should go with Forten Sweet 16 Gold, much cheaper than TNT2 and probably more durable than Alphagut 2000.

Steve Huff
12-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Actually, I think I have the regular synthetic. It still has a soft feel with a polyurethane feeling coating. Definitely wasn't $10/set.

Peppershaker
12-18-2011, 05:09 PM
May end up eating my words........may have been my arm or the day but picked out my racquet strung with the K premium syn gut and it felt a lot better. Can't imagine it was due to breaking in because I've never liked looser tensioned string.

Right now leaving it in my racquet to see how it wears. Have my primary racquet about in the need of restringing may go ahead with the K once again.

Have some analytical scales at work, going to cut off a fixed length of various syn guts of the same gauge to see if there is a weight difference. Far from scientific since manu. tolerances come into play but I'm curious.

sy646
12-18-2011, 11:18 PM
As for me, I am a chronic string breaker, I need something soft and durable to cross with softer poly. People are telling me that I should go with Forten Sweet 16 Gold, much cheaper than TNT2 and probably more durable than Alphagut 2000.

Have you tried the Forten Sweet 16 Gold as the cross on your racquet? How is it?

maxpotapov
12-19-2011, 03:05 AM
Have you tried the Forten Sweet 16 Gold as the cross on your racquet? How is it?
Not yet, sorry
I think this is my next reel to order, even though I'm still keeping my eye on this thread. We'll see what Peppershaker finds out about Kirschbaum Premium Syn Gut durability and performance