PDA

View Full Version : RPM Blast tension

Boricua
04-01-2011, 11:38 AM
I once used RPM Blast and did not give it a fair shot maybe. I think I was blaming mishits to the racket. A few questions: about RPR-

1- At what point in time, hours specifically, does it become dead?

2-Does it lose alot of spin potential when used as a hybrid with gut, either as main or cross?

:)

jgtthd
04-01-2011, 12:43 PM
I once used RPM Blast and did not give it a fair shot maybe. I think I was blaming mishits to the racket. A few questions: about RPR-

2-Does it lose alot of spin potential when used as a hybrid with gut, either as main or cross?

I play with a full bed at 48lbs and it's a dream

Boricua
04-01-2011, 12:58 PM
I play with a full bed at 48lbs and it's a dream

For how many hours in playing time is it a "dream"? Do you hit with heavy topspin on both sides?:)

THANKS

spillai
04-16-2011, 10:43 AM
I have strung my friend's racket with rpm blast a few weeks ago. I did it at 53 lb i think and as far as i know, its not dead

backatcha
04-16-2011, 08:35 PM

RPM has taken a lot of abuse because of the initial marketing hype. However, I personally think that RPM is a good soft poly with great spin potential. Various posters on this board have described a unique "elasticity" (or rebound effect) at certain tensions on certain racquets.

You have specifically asked how long the strings last... Well, I played with a full bed for about a month (3 hours a day, 4-5 days a week) before, out of habit, I just cut them out... however, they played just fine to the end. I think the important thing that I have noticed about these strings is that they very quickly settle in and tend to lose about 2lbs more than the normal stiffer polys. So I suggest that you string about two pounds higher (than normal) and they should settle in nicely... Regarding the hybrid setup, RPM is awesome in a hybrid, the spin is good, very little notching and they maintain their elasticity longer... I used them with TF X1 in the cross and it work great. Generally, I like the feel of BC a little better but I think that the RPM strings are a good alternative and with the right racquet (and/or player) they be the best or one of the best choices.

GlenK
04-17-2011, 05:16 AM
backatcha - you seem pretty experienced with RPM blast. On the pack it says to string the 16g @ 62lbs, and the 17g @ 52lbs. That seems like a big gap to me.
I have not used it but am a stringer and a 70+ year old player is using it and a certified USRSA stringer strung his racquet @ 62 with the 16g, following the instructions on the pack exactly.

Now he wants me to restring it and that just seems like extremely high tension. He plays with a Head Titanium Ti.S6 16x19.

Your thoughts???

backatcha
04-17-2011, 06:36 AM
backatcha - you seem pretty experienced with RPM blast. On the pack it says to string the 16g @ 62lbs, and the 17g @ 52lbs. That seems like a big gap to me.
I have not used it but am a stringer and a 70+ year old player is using it and a certified USRSA stringer strung his racquet @ 62 with the 16g, following the instructions on the pack exactly.

Now he wants me to restring it and that just seems like extremely high tension. He plays with a Head Titanium Ti.S6 16x19.

Your thoughts???

The answer to your question to some degree depends on your racquet. I used RPM on my YTPP and my YTPMP both of these racquets are low powered and control oriented. I originally strung the 16 @ 52 then went to the 17 @ 48. I had no loss of control at these tensions. They were very comfortable but the 17 @ 48 had a slight mushy feeling on the YTPP (open pattern) after the initial tension loss... still worked great, very comfortable with excellent spin at this tension. You will have to experiment on your own... but I would never go 60 or above even in a hybrid unless the purpose of the strings was to mute the power of the racquet... and in that case it may be better to change the racquet not the strings.

PS The strings will hold their playability longer when strung a little lower.

Sardines
04-17-2011, 09:27 AM

Your thoughts???

First of all, what kind of feedback are you getting from him with the racquet strung @ 62? Is he lacking power, feel, control or does he find it too harsh? One of my fellow club members switched from an old iS10 to a Youtek S10 and normally strung his racquet at 64lbs. He felt he lacked power and spin, so I switched him to RPM main and NRG2 cross, both 17g, strung at 55lbs. He's got a bit more bite and power, but his 3.5 game doesn't really allow too much gains in power in the serve.
With RPM, I find that dropping the tension increases spin, but not much power, which helps control. I suggest you find out what the player expects from the string. RPM may not be the string for him. Most of the 70 yr old guys I know have short strokes and need a little help with power and spin.

GlenK
04-17-2011, 10:10 AM
First of all, what kind of feedback are you getting from him with the racquet strung @ 62? Is he lacking power, feel, control or does he find it too harsh? One of my fellow club members switched from an old iS10 to a Youtek S10 and normally strung his racquet at 64lbs. He felt he lacked power and spin, so I switched him to RPM main and NRG2 cross, both 17g, strung at 55lbs. He's got a bit more bite and power, but his 3.5 game doesn't really allow too much gains in power in the serve.
With RPM, I find that dropping the tension increases spin, but not much power, which helps control. I suggest you find out what the player expects from the string. RPM may not be the string for him. Most of the 70 yr old guys I know have short strokes and need a little help with power and spin.

Thanks for your feedback. The last 2 sentences are exactly what I'm thinking. Right now he says if feels like a board and he can't control it.
I would say he's a 3.0 player and doesn't use much spin at all. He's also complaining about his shoulder.
I like the 55 lbs. If I can't talk him out of using it at all I'll go with that. Think I'll try to sell him on going back to syn gut, which I honestly think would be the best move.