PDA

View Full Version : RPM Blast the best string!


jgtthd
04-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Anyone else thing RPM Blast is currently the best string on the market? :)

NatG
04-01-2011, 01:22 PM
I have it on my K Blade Tour @ 50lbs, love it!

I've tried several strings from Luxilon, Technifibre, Wilson, Head... and it is the best I've tried yet, though it still could have a bit more of a solid feel to it.

tomp
04-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Not sure I would go as far as best string on the market but it is a personal thing I suppose.

jgtthd
04-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Not sure I would go as far as best string on the market but it is a personal thing I suppose.

It's very personal I agree. Just wanted to see how many other people agreed with me

Cup8489
04-01-2011, 01:41 PM
DEEEEEFINITELY not... at least for me

For me, BHBR is better in every single category, and hey, it's much cheaper and easier to install!

jgtthd
04-01-2011, 01:43 PM
DEEEEEFINITELY not... at least for me

For me, BHBR is better in every single category, and hey, it's much cheaper and easier to install!


WHAT IS BHBR???

JoelDali
04-01-2011, 01:48 PM
This string is so over rated it makes me hurl.

jgtthd
04-01-2011, 01:50 PM
This string is so over rated it makes me hurl.

For u maybe. I have play tested over 50 strings and it's my favourite. All about racket, style and technique.

flashfire276
04-01-2011, 01:52 PM
This string is so over rated it makes me hurl.

+1.
This string is all hype. At most, maybe 5% of users actually like it of what it is. The other 95%, it's just because of Babolat and Nadal.
For a string this much, you can get great strings that are comparable or better for half the price! Look in Genesis Black Magic...

JoelDali
04-01-2011, 01:53 PM
For u maybe. I have play tested over 50 strings and it's my favourite. All about racket, style and technique.

I agree 100%.

Devilito
04-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Black Code is high quality and $4 cheaper / pack

JoelDali
04-01-2011, 01:54 PM
+1.
This string is all hype. At most, maybe 5% of users actually like it of what it is. The other 95%, it's just because of Babolat and Nadal.
For a string this much, you can get great strings that are comparable or better for half the price! Look in Genesis Black Magic...

Black Magic was sorta lame for me too, but in an 88 everything is a challenge to get the right setup at our level.

jgtthd
04-01-2011, 01:54 PM
I agree 100%.

Spoken like people who have really played with it. You probably like some funky twisted/textured string! :-?

jgtthd
04-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Black Code is high quality and $4 cheaper / pack

Sure it's cheaper but not as good!

bfactor61
04-01-2011, 02:01 PM
for 5 hours maybe....

JoelDali
04-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Spoken like people who have really played with it. You probably like some funky twisted/textured string! :-?

Nah, I love soft polys....I've been really liking pro poly plasma 17 in a PT90 at 60 lately. Great setup.

Nothing wrong with RPM, its just idiotic how hyped it has been and how $ it is for what you get.

When I hear commentators say that Rafa generates so much spin with the RPM string I just want to throw up.

Canadian Kid
04-01-2011, 02:11 PM
plain old babolat Hurrican is better in my opinion.

Ross K
04-01-2011, 02:15 PM
I've tried a lot of the present TT fave polys in recent months,,, all the Signum strings, BLack Code, MSV, BHBR, PHT, Typhoon and others besides, and for me the best of the lot, the 'special one' is... Tour Bite :) ... btw, I thought Blast was possibly the worst of all the ones I've just listed.

R.

Robbnc
04-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Anyone else thing RPM Blast is currently the best string on the market? :)

For me it's the best POLY on the market for sure. Luxilon in any form is the worst arm destroying string ever made, the company should be forced to compensate victims ! PHT is a close second to RPM and last a little longer , I can play with either one. BLACK CODE is without a doubt the worst most overhyped dead junk string ever offered for sale. I cut it out on the court.

JoelDali
04-01-2011, 03:18 PM
I've tried a lot of the present TT fave polys in recent months,,, all the Signum strings, BLack Code, MSV, BHBR, PHT, Typhoon and others besides, and for me the best of the lot, the 'special one' is... Tour Bite :) ... btw, I thought Blast was possibly the worst of all the ones I've just listed.

R.

TB is another great string indeed. Way better than RPM.

Lambsscroll
04-01-2011, 03:32 PM
WHAT IS BHBR???

Its Tourna Poly Big Hitter Blue Rough String.

NatG
04-02-2011, 08:58 AM
+1.
This string is all hype. At most, maybe 5% of users actually like it of what it is. The other 95%, it's just because of Babolat and Nadal.
For a string this much, you can get great strings that are comparable or better for half the price! Look in Genesis Black Magic...

I mainly bought it because I wanted a black string, not because of Nadal or the brand. I was going to try out a few different black strings, and just decided to stick with RPM since it felt great.

Cup8489
04-04-2011, 07:12 AM
I second the tour bite.. way more spin than RPM (despite the name) gets. Big Hitter Blue Rough is also probably the only other NON luxilon string (alogn with Tour Bite) that has that 'lux drop', where the ball really divebombs from the spin at last second. RPM did have this as well, but it went dead so quickly that It's not even close to worth the price. I'd rather use Lux over this stuff,and RPM felt plasticy to me as well.

jgtthd
04-04-2011, 07:14 AM
see this is the thing; i used alu rough for ages and found that the spin was good but that the grooves wore off so fast that the spin potential also went with it. so i tried rpm; no string lasts forever but i find i get longer and better (IMO) play from rpm

GlenK
04-04-2011, 07:50 AM
I have two sets of RPM blast in my inventory for customers but have not tried it. The tension recommendation on the pack shows 52lbs for the 1.25mm, and 62lbs for the 1.30mm.
I've been stringing it based on customer request, which for the most part have not been that close to these suggested tensions.

If someone wants to try it for the first time would you follow these recommendations??

Cup8489
04-04-2011, 08:27 AM
see this is the thing; i used alu rough for ages and found that the spin was good but that the grooves wore off so fast that the spin potential also went with it. so i tried rpm; no string lasts forever but i find i get longer and better (IMO) play from rpm

Did you ever try the original ALU Power? I honestly couldnt tell any difference between that and Rough in terms of spin, and if there IS a difference it's minimal, and since the way poly gets the spin is by the slickness of the string, I'd think that the ALU Power's smooth surface would make up for any loss of spin due to not having the roughness to it.

Give it a try again sometime. ALU Power is crisp, but the spin and, surprisingly, power, is awesome. Loads better than RPM IMHO.

jgtthd
04-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Did you ever try the original ALU Power? I honestly couldnt tell any difference between that and Rough in terms of spin, and if there IS a difference it's minimal, and since the way poly gets the spin is by the slickness of the string, I'd think that the ALU Power's smooth surface would make up for any loss of spin due to not having the roughness to it.

Give it a try again sometime. ALU Power is crisp, but the spin and, surprisingly, power, is awesome. Loads better than RPM IMHO.


i did try alu power and liked it. although i defo though there was more spin produced by alu rough, i just prefer RPM

FedererBestTennis
04-04-2011, 08:40 AM
I would not go so far as to say that it is the best string on the market, but it did feel great in a hybrid with Sensation with RPM as the cross string.

jgtthd
04-04-2011, 10:05 AM
I would not go so far as to say that it is the best string on the market, but it did feel great in a hybrid with Sensation with RPM as the cross string.


its all personal, just saying for me i love it

FedererBestTennis
04-04-2011, 10:13 AM
its all personal, just saying for me i love it
I know. I'm surprised you would string it at 48 lbs for the 17g and use an AeroPro. How you get any control is beyond me. :D

jgtthd
04-04-2011, 10:25 AM
I know. I'm surprised you would string it at 48 lbs for the 17g and use an AeroPro. How you get any control is beyond me. :D


i strung at 45 with alu rough and went up to 48 with rpm, control not an issue. try it!

FedererBestTennis
04-04-2011, 10:31 AM
i strung at 45 with alu rough and went up to 48 with rpm, control not an issue. try it!
Try the racquet and the string or just the racquet??? :D That racquet is wayyyy to powerful for me. I'll try RPM when I get a chance.

Sardines
04-04-2011, 01:24 PM
I wouldn't say RPM is the best for everyone, but it is a very nice performing string as polys go. I came from Luxilon Alu BB Original and Rough, and the RPM does out perform those strings with greater spin potential. If players who use spin to control depth, then it's a great string to use. It's not as powerful the BB but it's close and it plays slight stiffer.
I dropped tension to mid 30s and found the RPM/gut hybrid gave nice spin, power and control off everything except touch and low volleys which I have more difficulty with(with my not so deft touch anyhow). RPM certainly does give the serve and groundies more spin. And it does go dead pretty fast. But it's still playable for practice/fun games when strung low.

jgtthd
04-05-2011, 08:38 AM
I wouldn't say RPM is the best for everyone, but it is a very nice performing string as polys go. I came from Luxilon Alu BB Original and Rough, and the RPM does out perform those strings with greater spin potential. If players who use spin to control depth, then it's a great string to use. It's not as powerful the BB but it's close and it plays slight stiffer.
I dropped tension to mid 30s and found the RPM/gut hybrid gave nice spin, power and control off everything except touch and low volleys which I have more difficulty with(with my not so deft touch anyhow). RPM certainly does give the serve and groundies more spin. And it does go dead pretty fast. But it's still playable for practice/fun games when strung low.


i defo agree that alu strings are over rated. funny the differences between everyone though, i started stringing a little tighter at 48 lbs when i moved to rpm. anyways great string and haven't had to much problem with it dieing, seems to play well for a week or so and then breaks so all good for me.

Cup8489
04-05-2011, 09:08 AM
ALU is definitely not overrated... I personally dont think anything feels as awesome as it does for the first two hours of play.

000KFACTOR90000
04-05-2011, 09:14 AM
tell people forten nylon is rafas new string and watch the huge cut they take at the ball :twisted:

Pinkskunk
04-05-2011, 10:30 AM
..............When I hear commentators say that Rafa generates so much spin with the RPM string I just want to throw up.

Some of the commentators for tennis matches are outright IDIOTS!!! unlike NFL channels, i doubt those tennis commentator guys ever graduated college.

Lambsscroll
04-09-2011, 08:51 AM
I havent tried it yet but there are 2 people I know who use it and it dramatically changed their game for the better. One of the guys is now stepping into the ball and swinging much faster while keeping the ball in. The other guy doesn't hit as hard but has tremendous spin which he uses to move around his opponent. Just yesterday I asked the guy who crushes the ball how many hours he has on his strings and he said about 20 hours. He said he strung it at 58 pounds. I like my gut/poly setup but I will try a full bed of RPM just because I can visually see the difference it makes on the ball.