PDA

View Full Version : How to Hit the "Tweener"

Orson Welles
06-21-2005, 06:00 PM
I know that there has to be some critical trick to hitting the "tweener shot" (a.k.a., the "Sabatweenie") (between the legs with back facing the net). Please don't direct me to that British tennis website which I've already seen from other posters. I already know that you should hit the ball when it is very close to the ground and that you should start the swing with the racket face up high. I also know that you should use a backhand grip and flick it up with the edge of the racket below the ball. These tips don't do it for me. Not even close. There has to be something else to it. Who can tell me?

Exile
06-21-2005, 06:02 PM
I know that there has to be some critical trick to hitting the "tweener shot"

Oh, you mean timing?

If you want to beat a dead horse, go for it, but timing and footwork will be the key.

Orson Welles
06-21-2005, 06:06 PM
No, I don't mean "timing". I'm convinced that just practicing the shot with what I know won't get me there nor will it get anyone there. I'm talking about another ingredient. There must be another tip such as hitting the ball when it almost bounces or starting with the racket face high.

Also, just saying "timing" and "footwork" is incredibly vague. Can you be more specific?

Exile
06-21-2005, 06:08 PM
nope, because you have to time it just right to get it over the net at all much less with pace.

Because it is basically a flat shot, this thing will just have to take hard practice untill you find a rhythm that is right for you.

MegacedU
06-21-2005, 06:13 PM
Hey ex - I'm online. Sorry I missed you earlier I have a big test tomorrow.

Timing is everything with the tweener as is positioning. Nail em both and you'll be GOLDEN.

Orson Welles
06-21-2005, 06:20 PM
I see. Sorry to hear that I'll have to practice so much. I'm afraid that I won't have any genitalia left by the time I learn this thing which makes me question whether it's worth it. So, you don't think there is another "magic tip" that I don't know?

Exile
06-21-2005, 06:24 PM
wear a cup.

enk
06-21-2005, 06:48 PM
I know that there has to be some critical trick to hitting the "tweener shot" (a.k.a., the "Sabatweenie") (between the legs with back facing the net).

Orson,

There are NO 'magic cure' in learning tennis.

Rather than a 'short cut', tips are merely a 'map' that guide you from going the LONG (wrong) way.

Back to this shot:
1. TIMING : The ball MUST be contact with the space bounded by your legs.
2. WRIST : A loose wrist is a MUST to flick the ball at the correct angle.
3. LOFT : Flick at an angle to lift the ball to clear the net.

If you really want it, I'll suggest you to learn by progression:

1. Start from mid court with your back to the net. Drop feed yourself a ball and try to get it over the net.
2. Gradually move towards the baseline. Still drop feeding.
3. Toss the ball one step away from you, take a step and hit the shot.
4. Progressively toss the ball further and further away (you would also have to toss the ball higher, that goes without saying), take a few steps and hit.
5. Get a friend to lob while you run for the ball.

This is definitely not an easy shot to learn or do, let alone in a real game when you chase down a lob.
:)

Orson Welles
06-21-2005, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the tips Enk. Finally, someone really seems to be making some sense! My only question is your "1. Timing: The ball MUST be contact with the space bounded by your legs."

What exactly do you mean by this? Are you saying that you must make contact with the ball when it is right between the legs or between the boundaries formed by your legs?

enk
06-21-2005, 07:14 PM
What I was really trying to say is this:
1. Say for a FH, if your eventual contact point is a little off from you expected contact, you can probably survive with the ball still going over the net.
2. With this 'between the leg' shot, timing is EXTRA EXTRA important because you have to be so much more precise.
3. And good consistent timing takes A LOT OF practice.

Also, I'm not sure if it has already been mentioned in the link you refer too, you should be bring your leg OVER the ball while you make contact.

nViATi
06-21-2005, 07:20 PM
wouldn't it be a lot more effective, efficient, and a HECK OF A LOT SAFER to just go around the ball and hit a forehand?

enk
06-21-2005, 07:25 PM
nViATi,

You are 100% right. Perople hit this shot only to show off.

cervelo
06-22-2005, 09:38 AM
I love hitting this shot. It rarely works to win the point, but it is fun to go for it. One time, I actually hit one for a winner against a solid player who totally melted down cuz he was that irritated over it ...

Anyway, the big mistake I made with this one is not keeping my head on the ball THE WHOLE TIME!!!! I would inevitably pull my head around to see if it worked or not.

Another thing, get there early and then use super mini steps to position yourself over top of the ball as it falls. Another "cheater" hint in hitting it is that I don't always have both feet on the ground at contact- if hitting right handed, I take a last second mini step with my left foot, which puts me a little more "over" the ball, and giving me a little more groin clearance. This also clears my left leg out of the way of the racquet head which ends up behind the left knee/thigh.

Also, I use a grip a little closer to Continental than Eastern backhand.

A good way to drill this shot is against a wall; give it a ping pong serve (from the ground to the wall) and it will play like a lob over your head.

LovEnPeaCe
06-22-2005, 10:03 AM
Another thing, get there early and then use super mini steps to position yourself over top of the ball as it falls. Another "cheater" hint in hitting it is that I don't always have both feet on the ground at contact- if hitting right handed, I take a last second mini step with my left foot, which puts me a little more "over" the ball, and giving me a little more groin clearance. This also clears my left leg out of the way of the racquet head which ends up behind the left knee/thigh.

Cervelo's got it right, if you watch roddick/federer try to do the tweener, they also take many small steps(footwork) to get into position so that they can hit the ball where they want it(timing?)

SageOfDeath
06-22-2005, 04:57 PM
wouldn't it be a lot more effective, efficient, and a HECK OF A LOT SAFER to just go around the ball and hit a forehand?

Well suppose you are chasing down a really fast lob and if you turn around then you won't have time to hit a forehand what do you do then? :) I'm sure there are a few times where you actually could use this shot to help you rather than just show off

nViATi
06-22-2005, 05:11 PM
Well suppose you are chasing down a really fast lob and if you turn around then you won't have time to hit a forehand what do you do then? :) I'm sure there are a few times where you actually could use this shot to help you rather than just show off
if you are fast enough to be past it by the time it bounces so you can hit it than you can definately turn around and hit it

cervelo
06-22-2005, 05:18 PM
sorry ... accidentally made a 2x post

cervelo
06-22-2005, 05:18 PM
Topspin lobs that run to the fence or really high lobs aren't easily Saba-tweeny-able.

I gotta admit, for me, it's a showboat shot - half the time I just feel like hitting it for kicks, sometimes even if I had a stab at the overhead, I'll be a goofball and hit the tweener anyway.

and of course, subsequently lose the point against anyone with a volley ... but we'll both laugh about it after the point's over ...

tennis is fun.

enk
06-22-2005, 06:44 PM

Throw up a lob with your back against the net over your left shoulder. This is relatively easier than the "Tweener".

If you are in position to try a "Tweener", 9 out of 10 times you should have enough time for a turn around FH lob. :)

kmcprfam
04-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Hey, so I saw your post, and I thought, yeah, I know how that feels... The thing you really have to do, when trying to learn the tweener, is patience... It took me almost 7 months of just doing it over and over again before I could hit it in consistently, and another 3 until I could do it in actual matches, and I'm #1 singles on JV for my team...

It is ALL REPETITION, and as you do it more, you can definitely get more comfortable... Just tossing it 6 or 7 feet away from you, running to it, and hitting it between your legs is great practice for the first couple months... These are 2 videos that I did on specifically the tweener:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXIkF8RUPio&feature=plcp&context=C4eb7645VDvjVQa1PpcFOer80i4iobubTHT3OHm5g0 mM05XdFivUs%3D (HD)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_74gyChFSo (ALSO HD)

Check those out, and I'm doing one this Tuesday as well, so subscribe, so that you'll be able to see it!!! :)

Hope that helped!

rdis10093
04-22-2012, 11:47 AM
there was just a thread on this.

rdis10093
04-22-2012, 11:52 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=419747

shut this thread down. they posted thread is more informative.

Tshooter
10-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Roddick doing it twice in one point. One practice point. At the 2012 USO.

http://youtu.be/GUF3TtpCOyU

More impressive than him doing it is me catching it. :)

The first time through is real time. The second is slo-mo making it easier to see what was going on with the net court tweener. That looks liked a pure reaction shot. Whereas the more traditional one from the ball going overhead he obviously set up way beforehand.

BabolatTennis9
10-22-2012, 04:18 PM
if your ganna hit a tweener just make sure your on top of the ball like literally on to the ball cant be a little in front or it will just bounce off the ground you gatta have it lined up perfectly with you

effortless
10-22-2012, 06:37 PM
I know that there has to be some critical trick to hitting the "tweener shot" (a.k.a., the "Sabatweenie") (between the legs with back facing the net). Please don't direct me to that British tennis website which I've already seen from other posters. I already know that you should hit the ball when it is very close to the ground and that you should start the swing with the racket face up high. I also know that you should use a backhand grip and flick it up with the edge of the racket below the ball. These tips don't do it for me. Not even close. There has to be something else to it. Who can tell me?

lol. What i'm gonna say is a bit inconsiderate but i just can't help it.

One day i was at the net and got lobbed. I never had the desire to hit a between the legs shot before. As i ran back to the baseline somehow i just knew that a between the legs shot was my only option. With absolutely no idea how to actually do this shot i gave it a go and to my surprise it went in! Ever since that day i have been able to hit this shot with about a 50% success rate.

My message is, some things just come naturally to you, some things don't.
E.g. You can't hit a between the legs shot no matter how hard you try. I can't hit a two handed backhand no matter how hard i try.

The only other explanation i have is that your level of play isn't very high and therefore you don't have good racquet head control or foot work. In that case, be patient, have fun focussing on important aspects of tennis, and one day the between the legs shot might just come to you naturally.

NLBwell
10-24-2012, 09:33 PM
Don't do it.

treblings
10-24-2012, 10:14 PM
i wonder if orson can hit the tweener by now. after all itīs been seven years since he started this thread:)

Mongolmike
10-25-2012, 06:09 AM
i wonder if orson can hit the tweener by now. after all itīs been seven years since he started this thread:)

She tried, but there were some issues... she's Ms. Orson now.

Tennis Truth
10-25-2012, 12:18 PM
This thread is from 2005. I think the OP is now a grown up, and is probably no longer looking for this info.

effortless
10-25-2012, 06:53 PM
My comment was a complete waste of time now hahahaha. From now on i should check the date of the original post. Why and how did someone comment on this thread?