PDA

View Full Version : Forehand hitting on the rise.. What do you think!

TwistServe
06-22-2005, 10:03 AM
My one handed backhand is really comfortable playing on the baseline or sometimes well inside the baseline to prevent any balls from getting too high. The problem is, my forehand is uncomfortable there.. I like the forehand strokes way back like Tommy Haas.. at least 3-5 feet behind the baseline... So I think I need to reevaulate my forehand side to make it more compatible and matching my backhand game.

Which grip do you guys think takes the ball on the rise the best? On the backhand side it seems so effortless, even when I'm late i can do a quick flick and hit the ball on the rise, and still get it back deep and with great pace. And when I really set up I can get lots of spin hitting the backhand on the rise. My forehand on the rise causes more of a flat ball path and doesn't really have the same amount of spin as it should. I'm thinking maybe I should experiment with the eastern grip or maybe agassi forehand.

erik-the-red
06-22-2005, 10:13 AM
I would suggest semi-western because the strike zone is naturally farther out in front of the body.

cervelo
06-22-2005, 11:49 AM
Way back when I was a righty with a one hander, I had the same thing going on. Something about the one-hander, you still drive balls on the rise with spin, depth and consistency. I believe it has something to do with the swing path as it relates to the natural uncoiling of the 1H BH.

For the forehand on the rise, I think more knee bend and less racquet head speed (counter-intuitive, I know). Forget about applying more topspin and DON'T change from a semi-western. Rather, bring your racquet back with a laid-back wrist- when reaching the contact point, use the wrist to keep the strings on the target and extend throughout the strike zone. If you can hit with topspin already, I'll bet that you will continue to hit with topspin once you coordinate the wrist/racquet head extension with leg drive and torsion. The nice thing about the "extra wrist extension" is that it helps to find the sweet spot more frequently despite having less time when hitting on the rise- also, you can put a little more weight behind your forehand as you extend.

Camilio Pascual
06-22-2005, 12:54 PM
Less racquet head speed makes sense for a few reasons:
1. The ball's pace is higher, you don't need to generate as much power.
2. You are closer to the net than if you were back waiting for it to drop.
3. Timing is more critical, a short compact stroke is easier to time and control.

To answer your question, I have the best success with a SW grip. Even when I used a full Western grip, I would switch to a SW if my strategy was to take balls on the rise. I think it was because the Western grip (presenting the stringbed to a more acute angle to the ball) was too hard for me to time as accurately. Since the SW grip is better for hitting a ball higher up in the strike zone than an Eastern and much easier to impart topspin with a short stroke, this gives you a fraction of a little more time to, well, time your hit.