PDA

View Full Version : Question

akj27
06-22-2005, 11:54 AM
Alright, I got a tournament July 6th, I think I'm ready for it, my strokes are consistent, everything is fine, except for my serve, I've been training for like 5 months now, and I never just serve for a certain amount of time, my serve is a joke, and in order for me to win my first match, I have to improve my serve. Any ideas, suggestions? Ill have like 2 more classes before the tourney starts. THink i should focus on serves only?

Camilio Pascual
06-22-2005, 12:05 PM
Yes. As you said, everything else is fine, so if it ain't broke....
You mention classes, are you going out with a ball hopper by yourself and just practicing serves? If not, I suggest you get a 50 or 75 ball hopper and do so. good luck.

Ztalin
06-22-2005, 12:06 PM
My serve sucks too, and what I'm planning on doing is waking up every morning and hitting the tennis courts alone and just serving for an hour or so. I seemed to make quite an improvement on my kick serve just today thanks to the tips from this board.

akj27
06-22-2005, 12:08 PM
Yes, I practice serves in front of my coach, he then critiques(sp?) it, and stuff

safin_protege
06-22-2005, 12:15 PM
Well then, you should definitely do that, but of course, work on your groundstrokes and volleys for 7 mins each to keep them sharp. Don't hit to many serves beforehand though, or you'll hurt your arm. Worst case scenario-take pace off of it :/

cervelo
06-22-2005, 12:24 PM
3 quick hints:

1st step: develop a more positive outlook in serving- calling it a joke isn't a good starting point for development. Understand that the serve is the most "technically demanding" stroke in tennis and rightfully deserves a very high level of practice and attention - Strategically, it can and should be the most dictating and respected stroke also. It's the only stroke guaranteed to be struck on every point, yet we all practice it way less than we should.

2nd step: Watch the ball from racquet to bounce; the #1 biggest mistake in serving is pulling the head down early. I've never seen anyone with the problem of pulling the head down into the court too long after the serve is struck. Best advice, follow the ball up during the toss and through impact off the racquet strings. Keep your eyes on the ball as it travels over the net and into the service court. To be sure, I oftentimes try to keep my eyes on the spot of contact after the ball is struck, watching the racquet "swipe" the ball away.

3rd step: bad toss = bad serve. Put your racquet on the ground, placing the string bed about a foot inside the baseline (with more aggressive/advanced serving, your toss may carry even farther into the court). Without seeing your motion, I recommend that you strike your toss at its peak, somewhere along the line drawn from your serving shoulder at impact and your target. This means that the toss should land on the ground a little "outside" of that straight line (the toss doesn't go straight up and down, but leads the motion into the court). Make your toss and see where it lands on the strings (or not). The best servers will hit the racquet strings with their toss 9 out of 10 tries.

thejackal
06-22-2005, 02:57 PM
4rth step: videotape yourself and compare to pros' techniques. It should also help you understand what your coach says better.

ZhangM58
06-22-2005, 03:06 PM
get a hopper and just serve, first though, I'd take a lesson with a pro and make sure your motions and all that is correct on your serve. You don't want to be practicing the wrong motion on your serve. It'll be harder to fix later. So, take a lesson, work on your serves ONLY. After you get everything fixed up, go out and just serve. That's the only way.