PDA

View Full Version : Federer: "Clay Swing Pivotal in Battle for No. 1"

Bud
04-10-2011, 10:03 PM
"The battle to finish year-end World No. 1 in the South African Airways 2011 ATP Rankings is fast turning into a three-horse race between Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer..."

http://www.monte-carlorolexmasters.com/News/Tennis/2011/Tournament/Monte-Carlo-Sunday-Federer-On-Battle-For-No-1.aspx

- - -

In 2011, the year-end no. 1 position will only be a two way battle between Nadal and Djokovic. Federer has no chance of regaining the year-end no. 1 position, IMO. That ship has sailed.

Discuss

powerangle
04-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Fed has a very slim shot, but obviously Rafa is the clear favorite, followed by Djokovic. Fed still has it in him to go pretty deep in the clay tournies, and win either Wimbledon or US Open, imo. If he does that (and he can), then he has a chance.

NamRanger
04-10-2011, 10:15 PM
"The battle to finish year-end World No. 1 in the South African Airways 2011 ATP Rankings is fast turning into a three-horse race between Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer..."

http://www.monte-carlorolexmasters.com/News/Tennis/2011/Tournament/Monte-Carlo-Sunday-Federer-On-Battle-For-No-1.aspx

- - -

In 2011, the year-end no. 1 position will only be a two way battle between Nadal and Djokovic. Federer has no chance of regaining the year-end no. 1 position, IMO. That ship has sailed.

Discuss

What a joke.

Entering grass and clay Djokovic/Nadal are playing for a ton of points, particularly Nadal. Djokovic later in the season is also playing for a ton of points (Nadal not so much, though a hefty chunk).

Federer literally is defending almost nothing except 2 QFs.

powerangle
04-10-2011, 10:17 PM
What a joke.

Entering grass and clay Djokovic/Nadal are playing for a ton of points, particularly Nadal. Djokovic later in the season is also playing for a ton of points (Nadal not so much, though a hefty chunk).

Yes, that is part of the reason why Fed still has a shot. Rafa losing a few rounds earlier, and Federer winning a few rounds more, can be a big swing.

It's mostly in Rafa's (and Djokovic's) hands of course.

big ted
04-10-2011, 10:18 PM
french open - i think if nadal loses early somehow, federer has the best chance to come away with it
wimbledon - either federer or nadal
us open - 3 way tie btwn fed-nadal-joker

so i think federer has a chance at no1

Omega_7000
04-10-2011, 11:09 PM
[I]

Discuss

In your opinion or you wish that the ship has sailed? :lol: Pathetic *******s!

Just three months back, it was a two horse race between Nadal & Federer. If Dud can manage to take his head out of Rafa's rear, maybe he can think more clearly.

jamesblakefan#1
04-10-2011, 11:15 PM

- - -

Discuss

Because this went so well when *********s did this in 2009?

Things change very quickly - people have such short memories. 3 months ago it was all about how Rafa had a shot at a calendar slam and was an unstoppable force. Now Novak has stepped up and according to some is ready to be #1. Of course Djoker and Rafa have the huge edge right now, but there's still far too much tennis left this season to make such a statement about it being a 2 horse race.

niff
04-11-2011, 12:26 AM
Bud has such a chip on his shoulder at anyone suggesting it's mathematically possible for Federer to be no.1 at some point.. it's very odd.

aphex
04-11-2011, 12:39 AM
Dear Dud, Federer in #2 in the race.

TennisandMusic
04-11-2011, 12:46 AM
Isn't this like saying the sky is blue? Of course your performance over the clay season is important to your year end ranking. :-P

Kind of silly.

Emet74
04-11-2011, 05:55 AM
What a joke.

Actually Fed/Djokovic are defending similar number of points on clay/grass; after wimby Fed has more points to defend than Djokovic.

Mathematically Fed is clearly in with a chance, but to reach #1 he has to play like #1 ie win big titles and it's not clear whether he can do that.

Sentinel
04-11-2011, 06:03 AM
"I guess it depends a lot on Rafa," said Federer on Sunday at the Monte-Carlo Country Club, where he will contest the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters next week. "If he's able to defend everything he did last year, it's going to be tough for anybody because then he has three straight Masters 1000s and the French Open in the bag as well. He had super solid results at the end of the season as well, winning the [US] Open, so forth. It all depends a little bit on Rafa."So Sir Roger says Rafa has a grip on the #1. Sounds fairly reasonable.

Federer pointed out, it would be quite the task for someone to wrest the No. 1 ranking from his grip.

jackson vile
04-11-2011, 04:05 PM
What a joke.

Very good point, I think it is plain ignorant to write Federer off. I don't buy the I'm too old thing.

Cup8489
04-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Very good point, I think it is plain ignorant to write Federer off. I don't buy the I'm too old thing.

agreed. He's right there with Nadal and Djokovic; take them out of the picture, He wins as many titles as Djokovic this year... and I wouldn't bet against Fed figuring out a way to beat the both of them in future encounters this year.

Should be interesting, for sure.

Sentinel
04-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Bud has such a chip on his shoulder at anyone suggesting it's mathematically possible for Federer to be no.1 at some point.. it's very odd.
If you see the post match conf, it is NOVAK who said the statement given in the title. Federer was asked to comment on it. The title gives the impression that Federer made this statement.

Trust Bud.:)

dr325i
04-11-2011, 09:40 PM
What a joke.

Interesting...

I did not know that Djokovic was defending "tons" of points on clay/grass? Somehow, I expected Federer to be defending more than Djokovic.

On the other hand, I doubt we're ready to write RF off yet. I give him a very slim chance, but as shown many times, he's still capable of any achievements in tennis...

Bud
04-11-2011, 09:52 PM

- - -

Discuss

Isn't this like saying the sky is blue? Of course your performance over the clay season is important to your year end ranking. :-P

Kind of silly.

The primary focus of the thread concerns the quote in the OP, contained in the story (which is also the thread title) :)

After reading it, I found it amusing that Federer still thinks he has a chance to once again regain the year-end number one position. Is his belief delusion or simply false bravado when facing the press?

Watching Nadal and Djokovic completely deconstruct Federer's HC game in the past couple of months, I find it hard to buy that Federer truly believes he can bypass these guys in 2011 to claim the top spot, once again.

IMO, the next 3 months will be a watershed moment in Federer's career. Both clay and grass require more athletic ability and superior movement, compared to hard court. We will finally see just how far the top two are ahead of Federer (if at all).

- -

BTW, when are we going to hit again?? :)

Bud
04-11-2011, 09:57 PM
If you see the post match conf, it is NOVAK who said the statement given in the title.
Federer was asked to comment on it. The title gives the impression that Federer made this statement.

Trust Bud.:)

Here is the title to the story: Federer: “Clay Swing Pivotal In Battle For No. 1”

Are you saying they mis-attributed this quote to Federer? ◄

- - -

Are you implying I manipulated the quote in the OP to trick those reading this?? ◄

http://www.monte-carlorolexmasters.com/%7E/media/9E5EE8CCE4EA4D7BA25E1E034E81D8A4.ashx

Here is the entire quote from the story:

"The battle to finish year-end World No. 1 in the South African Airways 2011 ATP Rankings is fast turning into a three-horse race between Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer, and the Swiss believes the European clay-court swing could play a pivotal role in separating the three."

jamesblakefan#1
04-11-2011, 10:00 PM
The primary focus of the thread concerns the quote in the OP, contained in the story (which is also the thread title) :)

After reading it, I found it amusing that Federer still thinks he has a chance to once again regain the year-end number one position. Is his belief delusion or simply false bravado when facing the press?

What's he supposed to think? "Oh no I have no chance at the French where I've been to the finals 5x and won once, Wimbledon where I've won 6x, and USO where I've won 5x. My season is over after IW and Miami, with 7 months of the season to go". Again, great logic as always.

Watching Nadal and Djokovic completely deconstruct Federer's HC game in the past couple of months, I find it hard to buy that Federer truly believes he can bypass these guys in 2011 to claim the top spot, once again.

Why shouldn't he have belief? What he said is true - we've seen Murray go on runs in the past, Nadal go on runs in the past, now Djoker's on a run. Doesn't mean Fed can't beat them again.

So essentially you're criticizing Federer for having belief that he can still compete, and not taking his ball and going home. Is that it? Because that's what it seems like.

stringertom
04-12-2011, 11:50 AM
On the American football field, the cornerback in man-on-man coverage most closely resembles the singularity of combat experienced by the tennis player. When that cornerback gets burned for the bomb, his biggest ally is competitive amnesia. Forget the failure, learn from it and move on to make the pick the next time.

HC is over. 2010 is over. Embrace the clay, do what you can to get to Sundays and see if you can make the pick this time. Semis or better all 2011 season is a solid foundation to build on. Everything is possible if you try. Nothing can be accomplished if you don't try.

MARTINBALDRIDGE
04-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Obviously it's sad to see the beginning of the end for Federer - it reminds me a bit of when Sampras' career came to an end. Personally I doubt he can ever be No.1 again and I think subconsciously he probably believes it as well.

Interesting when listening to Djokovic the other day and he said his career goal was to become No.1.

Would be great to see RF win another GS - maybe at Wimbledon. It's funny cos after the O2 last November he looked to be playing as well as ever - no matter what happened to Nole's contact lense or Rafa being tired from his epic 3 set victory over Murray.

Things can change very quickly on the pro tour.

MB

Povl Carstensen
04-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Things can change very quickly on the pro tour.
MB
Why are people then so eager to rule Federer out?

tenis1
04-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Sorry fedfans, but the year end number one will be decided between Djokovic and Nadal. Fed has no chance anymore. His #1 ship has sailed.

Bud
04-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Why are people then so eager to rule Federer out?

Because he's getting older and slower. Watching Nadal and Djokovic both pick him apart on his second strongest surface was surprising (his strongest surface is still indoor hard court, by far).

As I stated in an earlier post, IMO we'll be able to pinpoint exactly where Federer is within the top 3, after the FO and Wimbledon. I predict he won't make it to either final (as he'll most likely play Nadal/Djokovic in either the SF or final) . Then, looking further ahead to the USO, again I don't see Federer in the final unless Nadal/Djokovic are eliminated prior to meeting Federer. Once again, he'll most likely play one or the other in the SF and/or final.

It will take a dream draw (both Nadal and Djokovic out before the SF) for Federer to make another FO, Wimbledon or USO final... and a near miracle for him to win another GS title.

jamesblakefan#1
04-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Because he's getting older and slower. Watching Nadal and Djokovic both pick him apart on his second strongest surface was surprising (his strongest surface is still indoor hard court, by far).

:lol:

Federer's strongest surface is and always has been grass. Hard courts is still his 2nd best, and he's definitely much better on outdoor HC than indoors.

As I stated in an earlier post, IMO we'll be able to pinpoint exactly where Federer is within the top 3, after the FO and Wimbledon. I predict he won't make it to either final (as he'll most likely play Nadal/Djokovic in either the SF or final) . Then, looking further ahead to the USO, again I don't see Federer in the final unless Nadal/Djokovic are eliminated prior to meeting Federer. Once again, he'll most likely play one or the other in the SF and/or final.

It will take a dream draw (both Nadal and Djokovic out before the SF) for Federer to make another FO, Wimbledon or USO final... and a near miracle for him to win another GS title.

A near miracle? :lol:

Point is, people have short memories. Nadal beats Fed once in Miami and is suddenly clearly dominant over him on HC? Djoker's been on a roll but will cool down, and Fed still played him close in IW. Faster HC suit Fed's game, and that's when we'll see if he's truly done. Fed's lost in the past at IW/Miami to guys like Canas, Roddick (who he owns), Baggy, Berdych, etc.

While I don't doubt that Fed's declining, he's certainly not done and can and will still beat Novak and Rafa. You really put Djokovic ahead of Federer on grass and fast HC? Nadal has the edge on grass, but on HC I still think Fed can beat him at the USO. We shall see, but the point is, it's too early in the season to write off a guy who's ONLY lost to the top 2 players in the world this season.

That being said, do I think he'll finish #1? No. But is it impossible? Certainly not, given Nadal's injury history and Djoker's streaky nature.

cypher
04-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Federer will still rebound. He is Federer, after all.

rudester
04-12-2011, 04:42 PM
I get really weary of the ****/troll show, for that reason i am hoping Djokovic is successful, so at least we can have variety in the dialogue.

stringertom
04-12-2011, 04:47 PM
One loss to a non-top 5er in a half-year and the guy has no chance? Semis or better every event in '11 and he's washed up? He has the check mark next to his name on clay and grass vs. everybody not named Djokdal right now. The others will have to take that away. I'd love a six-horse race with some BerdSodMurrRao sauce on the side. It could happen, but Fed is not as irrelevant as many posters are making him out to be. Thanks for pointing that out. Now, let the sticks do all the talking.

TennisAddict121
04-12-2011, 05:56 PM
This is arguably the worst thread ever created on TW. I am no huge supporter of any tennis player,(I simply like tennis not players) but c'mon

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3sGll5v6UJs/TY8QYWrdtyI/AAAAAAAAAHw/fxOa5HfQSzM/s1600/serious.JPG

Federer is not playing bad by any means, he won a tournament and lost in the SFs of every tournament, losing to only the world #1 and #2. That is very solid. Federer is also currently #2 in points earned this year, and after having a rather lackluster Grass/Clay season last year it is not hard to imagine he can improve.

It probably will not happen, but to say he has no shot...well thats stupid. People said he also said he had no shot at winning RG or reclaiming the #1 spot in the world before. Things happen that we cannot predict. Its better to simply watch instead of makings posts that make you seem like a Federer Hater. No real tennis fan would dis any top player, especially Federer considering all that he has done

Bud
04-12-2011, 10:36 PM
:lol:

Federer's strongest surface is and always has been grass. Hard courts is still his 2nd best, and he's definitely much better on outdoor HC than indoors.

I'd disagree that grass is currently Federer's best surface, as the WTF showed (not to mention his 2010 grass season). Also, current Federer performs best on indoor surfaces when playing his biggest rival(s).

Once again I reiterate... Federer's results this year at the FO and Wimbledon will show us exactly where he's at in his career.

stringertom
04-13-2011, 08:51 AM
I'd disagree that grass is currently Federer's best surface, as the WTF showed (not to mention his 2010 grass season). Also, current Federer performs best on indoor surfaces when playing his biggest rival(s).

Once again I reiterate... Federer's results this year at the FO and Wimbledon will show us exactly where he's at in his career.

The odd part about your reaffirmation of the post-Wimby scoreboard value is the fact you didn't also include your prediction he will not make either Channel final and that it will take a dream draw to win. That is the point in contention. Also in contention is the over-the-top phrase about your amusement at Fed's "delusion or false bravado".

The strong competitor can file away his disappointing results after learning from them. Fed is such. How else could he even compete, let alone win multiple majors after the Sunday debacle at RG in '08?

Right now, on paper, Fed is the third horse and is so deservedly. Let the season proceed, the games evolve and the draws fill out. If Fed cruises and either Djokdal stumbles, then the plot thickens. Djok in a semi at either with a hot Fed and I think Fed is even money or better. Against Rafa at RG, he is still the underdog but not so at Wimby. I take 6 vs. 0 titles very seriously as the tipping point at Wimby vs. Djok, just as I take Rafa's RG dominance in his favor.

As I said, I'm in agreement the next 80 days or so will allow the cards to be played and we will see. I disagree on your projection of Fed's psyche and his chances. I feel a 17 coming in July. If anyone in MC reads this, play the number for me!

Bud
04-13-2011, 04:54 PM
The odd part about your reaffirmation of the post-Wimby scoreboard value is the fact you didn't also include your prediction he will not make either Channel final and that it will take a dream draw to win. That is the point in contention. Also in contention is the over-the-top phrase about your amusement at Fed's "delusion or false bravado".

The strong competitor can file away his disappointing results after learning from them. Fed is such. How else could he even compete, let alone win multiple majors after the Sunday debacle at RG in '08?

Right now, on paper, Fed is the third horse and is so deservedly. Let the season proceed, the games evolve and the draws fill out. If Fed cruises and either Djokdal stumbles, then the plot thickens. Djok in a semi at either with a hot Fed and I think Fed is even money or better. Against Rafa at RG, he is still the underdog but not so at Wimby. I take 6 vs. 0 titles very seriously as the tipping point at Wimby vs. Djok, just as I take Rafa's RG dominance in his favor.

As I said, I'm in agreement the next 80 days or so will allow the cards to be played and we will see. I disagree on your projection of Fed's psyche and his chances. I feel a 17 coming in July. If anyone in MC reads this, play the number for me!

I'll be sure to quote you on this after Wimbledon :)

One of us will be eating some tasty crow

stringertom
04-14-2011, 04:22 AM
I'll be sure to quote you on this after Wimbledon :)

One of us will be eating some tasty crow

Oui, Chef Annacone has a spicy recipe to help the crow go down, followed by an ample portion of humble pie. He perfected it while in the employ of Chez Sampras.

rommil
04-14-2011, 05:17 AM

Feds level will so much dwindle he will be entering 4.5 NTRPs in the San Diego area you will have the chance to pummel him with your majestic 5.0 skills. Discuss........

Hitman
04-14-2011, 06:06 AM
someone please explain to me how is INDOOR a surface?

I thought INDOORS would be defined as the conditions, such as no sun, wind, rain etc.

I am certain the surface still can only be hard, clay, grass. Now that carpet is extinct.

aldeayeah
04-14-2011, 06:22 AM

I thought INDOORS would be defined as the conditions, such as no sun, wind, rain etc.

I am certain the surface still can only be hard, clay, grass. Now that carpet is extinct.
They're arbitrary qualifiers, like speed (actually bounce), elevation or humidity. Hell, throw in temperature too. They're usually used to justify a player performance being different in tournaments with similar surfaces.

(e.g. Soderling sucks in AO because of the heat, Federer dominated 2010 WTF because of the low bounce, Nalbandian won Madrid/Paris because it was indoor, Nadal doesn't dominate in Madrid like in MC because it's a dry, high elevation clay court... this does not represent my opinion, but you'll hear things like this often in the forum)

So what does a relatively high-bouncing, high elevation, high humidity, cold indoor grass court play like?

Povl Carstensen
04-14-2011, 10:05 AM
So sad when people derive pleasure from predicting the demise of someone. Sign of a shallow petty personality.
- Oh, my hobbies? Dishing out hippocritical negatives for one, he....

tennis_pro
04-14-2011, 10:38 AM

Nadal fans wanted to somehow point out that Nadal is also a better hard courter than Federer, thus making outdoor hard court a new surface (since Nadal leads 4-1).

babbette
04-14-2011, 11:01 AM
[I]

- - -

Discuss
You never know. Tennis is such a mental and momentum based game that one guy could be hot one month and not the next. Nothing is set yet imo

jamesblakefan#1
04-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Nadal fans wanted to somehow point out that Nadal is also a better hard courter than Federer, thus making outdoor hard court a new surface (since Nadal leads 4-1).

No matter how you slice it, Nadal is not a better hard courter than Federer.

Bud
04-15-2011, 06:59 AM
Dang, I was hoping for a Nadal-Federer final :mad:

Melzer?! :-|

jackson vile
05-16-2011, 08:54 AM

- - -

Discuss

I have to admit that window is closing and fast, but we will have to wait until the conclusion of the FO.

Double_Fault
05-16-2011, 08:55 AM
Federer became the sickness of the bored.

I still think it's a two-horse race. Nadal being the horses, Nole being the carriage.