PDA

View Full Version : Kim Clijsters Out 4 - 6 Weeks

dirtballer
04-11-2011, 05:43 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/#!/tennis/story/14928390/clijsters-might-miss-french-open-with-ankle-injury

Probably tried to dance in high heels.

Marius_Hancu
04-11-2011, 06:13 AM
I cant believe this:
---
Clijsters might miss French Open with ankle injury
CBSSports.com wire reports
April 11, 2011

BRUSSELS -- Kim Clijsters, winner of the past two Grand Slam tournaments, might miss next month's French Open after injuring her right ankle at her cousin's wedding.

A statement posted on the Belgian star's website Sunday said the injury would keep her out for at least four to six weeks.

"Since the French Open starts in literally six weeks, Kim's presence in Paris is very uncertain," the statement said.

The statement did not give details on how the injury occurred, but said that Clijsters -- winner of the last two Grand Slam tournaments -- had strained ligaments in her right ankle and tore an ankle joint capsule and tendon sheath.

"The consequences are serious," the statement said.

It was the second setback in as many weeks for the world's second-ranked player.

Last week, Clijsters announced that she would be sidelined for a month with shoulder and wrist injuries, forcing her out of Belgium's Fed Cup semifinal against the Czech Republic this weekend.

The U.S. Open and Australian Open champion said she had overexerted her right shoulder and wrist during her busy spring schedule on the tour. After winning the title Down Under, she played Fed Cup and a tournament in Paris in February before traveling to the United States in March to compete in Indian Wells and Miami.

She pulled out of her fourth-round match in Indian Wells and lost in the quarterfinals in Miami.

Clijsters is a two-time runner-up at the French Open.
----

Annika
04-11-2011, 07:04 AM
Kim has said she wants to play less tennis. I bet she wants another little one! :oops:

dirtballer
04-11-2011, 07:32 AM
Here's the account from her web site:

http://sport.be.msn.com/kimclijsters/eng/nieuws/?Article_ID=507203

It happened at her cousin's wedding party. A little mysterious - like Serena's injury.

li0scc0
04-11-2011, 07:36 AM
Here's the account from her web site:

http://sport.be.msn.com/kimclijsters/eng/nieuws/?Article_ID=507203

It happened at her cousin's wedding party. A little mysterious - like Serena's injury.

Nah, Serena's was not mysterious at the time. Things like this happen.
Now, if, 10 months later, Clijsters is still out...then it becomes mysterious :)

jerriy
04-11-2011, 08:58 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/#!/tennis/story/14928390/clijsters-might-miss-french-open-with-ankle-injury (http://www.cbssports.com/#%21/tennis/story/14928390/clijsters-might-miss-french-open-with-ankle-injury)

Probably tried to dance in high heels.Dance?

When in the world of internet-trolldom did dancing became the main or the only reason why people get leg injury?

As if you know even one person (let alone a lot of people) who has ever gotten injured by that :rolleyes:

single_handed_champion
04-11-2011, 09:06 AM
Dance?

When in the world of internet-trolldom did dancing became the main or the only reason why people get leg injury?

As if you know even one person (let alone a lot of people) who has ever gotten injured by that :rolleyes:

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/sport/tennis/article_1632004.php/Clijsters-reportedly-sprains-ankle-during-wedding-dance

Apparently, it is a legitimate (however preposterous it seems for a professional athlete to be trying something like that) reason for a dislocated ankle.

niff
04-11-2011, 09:15 AM
Kim... what the ****!

jerriy
04-11-2011, 09:15 AM
http://www.monstersandcritics.com/sport/tennis/article_1632004.php/Clijsters-reportedly-sprains-ankle-during-wedding-dance

Apparently, it is a legitimate (however preposterous it seems for a professional athlete to be trying something like that) reason for a dislocated ankle.
I was commenting on the so called probabilities (the OP pretended that that must have been what "probably" caused it)

single_handed_champion
04-11-2011, 09:45 AM
I was commenting on the so called probabilities (the OP pretended that that must have been what "probably" caused it)

Well, it was the first thing I thought too. Wedding + twisted ankle = dance, makes sense. Of course, she could have slipped on a bathroom floor or a skating rink specially constructed for the wedding or have been demonstrating her splits on a rug. :)

MotherMarjorie
04-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Well, get well, Kim!

Mother Marjorie doesn't think that the French Open was a priority for Kim anyhows. Caroline Hingis-Vicario is probably jumping for joy right now that her main rival might not be present in Paris. Unfortunately for the big girl, there are other players on clay that will give CH-V a much tougher time than Kim would have.

Wimbledon and US Open prep is Kim's focus, yeah, you betcha!

Mother Marjorie Ann
Empress of Talk Tennis Warehouse

fedhingis515
04-11-2011, 11:15 AM
I'm beyond ****ed right now. Missing the French Open two years in a row? She's better on clay than grass, but it seems like she couldn't care less about the dirt.

MotherMarjorie
04-11-2011, 11:22 AM
I'm beyond ****ed right now. Missing the French Open two years in a row? She's better on clay than grass, but it seems like she couldn't care less about the dirt.
Kim's best chance came in 2001 vs. Jennifer Capriati in the finals, but Jennifer was playing great tennis during that period that not even a Clijsters could overcome. Then she faced a dominant Justine Henin in the 2003 finals.

Mother Marjorie thinks that Kim is placing Wimbledon and the US Open as priorities this year. Given the state of the chronically-injured Williams Sisters and subpar playing of Maria Sharapova, Kim would definitely be a favorite on grass this year.

Mother Marjorie Ann

Devilito
04-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Well, get well, Kim!

Mother Marjorie doesn't think that the French Open was a priority for Kim anyhows. Caroline Hingis-Vicario is probably jumping for joy right now that her main rival might not be present in Paris. Unfortunately for the big girl, there are other players on clay that will give CH-V a much tougher time than Kim would have.

Wimbledon and US Open prep is Kim's focus, yeah, you betcha!

imagine saying that for a top ATP player. It just doesn't happen. There is something wrong with these top women players. They make their money and could care less afterwards. Someone like Federer and Nadal have more money than God but they'll still kill themselves to go down in history and win majors. I just dont see that kind of drive in women's tennis. Down right pathetic

sureshs
04-11-2011, 02:50 PM
On the other hand, I don't see Rafa and Fed carrying babies for 9 months and then taking care of them after that. That is much more difficult that hitting a ball with a stick.

NadalAgassi
04-11-2011, 03:00 PM
I think her injury is mostly a hoax. She is just looking to get out of playing on clay and the French. Her goal this year is to win Wimbledon and the U.S Open.

tennis_pro
04-11-2011, 03:06 PM
I think her injury is mostly a hoax. She is just looking to get out of playing on clay and the French. Her goal this year is to win Wimbledon and the U.S Open.

Why on earth would she want to skip a GS tournament, also given that she's probably the best clay courter on the woman's circuit if at her best!

I'm almost certain she's actually injured, there's a tiny, tiny possibility that she wants to spend time with her family/skip clay and then come back for the FO.

CCNM
04-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Kim has said she wants to play less tennis. I bet she wants another little one! :oops:
If she wants to have another child I hope she quits for good. I'm an old-fashioned girl and I think that (ideally) a mom should stay home with her kids until they are about 4 or 5 years old. Kim is lucky-she can afford nannies and grandma & grandpa to watch her daughter while she works. Also, one time my parents were out dancing and somehow or another my dad sprained/tore some ligaments in his hand when he went to spin my mom around.

*the above is just my opinion. I have nothing against working moms*

li0scc0
04-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Mother Marjorie thinks that Kim is placing Wimbledon and the US Open as priorities this year. Given the state of the chronically-injured Williams Sisters and subpar playing of Maria Sharapova, Kim would definitely be a favorite on grass this year.

How about Vera Zvonareva? I could make an argument for both, but given Zvo's run to the final last year, I might make more of a case for Vera on grass vs. Kim.

Devilito
04-11-2011, 03:22 PM
On the other hand, I don't see Rafa and Fed carrying babies for 9 months and then taking care of them after that. That is much more difficult that hitting a ball with a stick.

difficult? We have 7 billion people on this planet. Not so difficult is it. How many Nadals and Federers do we have?

Murrayfan31
04-11-2011, 03:23 PM
I believe there is a song about Kim. :D

1970CRBase
04-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Kim, Maria, Ana..... all of them. The natural consequence of over hitting with overly stiff powerful racquets. I suspect that Li also has an injury hence her losses since AO.

TMF
04-11-2011, 07:07 PM

That's simply your opinion. And even if that's true, I give her a free pass b/c she has a daughter to take care of.

Rorsach
04-11-2011, 09:41 PM
I give her a free pass b/c she has a daughter to take care of.

Why?

I work 9 hours a day, train 5 days a week and i take care of my kids.

dirtballer
04-12-2011, 08:22 AM
Dance?

Tennis Channel just confirmed during their broadcast of the Monte Carlo Open that Kim hurt her ankle while dancing in high heeled shoes at her cousins wedding party. Who's the troll?

Devilito
04-12-2011, 08:24 AM
Tennis Channel just confirmed during their broadcast of the Monte Carlo Open that Kim hurt her ankle while dancing in high heeled shoes at her cousins wedding party. Who's the troll?

her, for wearing high heels and injuring herself

cc0509
04-12-2011, 08:45 AM
imagine saying that for a top ATP player. It just doesn't happen. There is something wrong with these top women players. They make their money and could care less afterwards. Someone like Federer and Nadal have more money than God but they'll still kill themselves to go down in history and win majors. I just dont see that kind of drive in women's tennis. Down right pathetic

Well thankfully for Kim she does not care what you or I think. She has the right to do whatever she wants. That is her prerogative. Money offers freedom to choose. Why are you solely picking on "women" players here? Men in the ATP use excuses every day not to play in a tournament. Djokovic is a prime example with his decision not to play MC because of "injury." I don't hear you complaining about that. Of course not. He is a "man." When a woman does the same you are on her case and on the case of the whole WTA. Please!

sureshs
04-12-2011, 09:30 AM
Well thankfully for Kim she does not care what you or I think. She has the right to do whatever she wants. That is her prerogative. Money offers freedom to choose. Why are you solely picking on "women" players here? Men in the ATP use excuses every day not to play in a tournament. Djokovic is a prime example with his decision not to play MC because of "injury." I don't hear you complaining about that. Of course not. He is a "man." When a woman does the same you are on her case and on the case of the whole WTA. Please!

Good point. And players like Joachim and Del Potro were out forever on injuries.

MotherMarjorie
04-12-2011, 10:05 AM
How about Vera Zvonareva? I could make an argument for both, but given Zvo's run to the final last year, I might make more of a case for Vera on grass vs. Kim.
What about Vera?

Mother Marjorie put Vera in her "crying" file. While Mother Marjorie gives Vera kudos for improving her mental game, she is still SO fragile in finals, especially in the grand slams.

Making a run vs having the ability to actually win a grand slam tournament is the key. Kim has proven she has both. Poor Vera just has the runs.

Mother Marjorie Ann

MotherMarjorie
04-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Devilto, no one since Stefanie Graf who retired in 1999 has had the physical and mental attributes to become an all-time Great in the sport of women's tennis.

Stefanie, Martina N., Chris America, etc. who made millions fought long and hard to win majors and play tour events, regardless of their wealth, late into their careers.

No, we just aren't seeing that type of ambition and will with this generation. Mother Marjorie guesses they might have acquired the lazy gene.

Mother Marjorie Ann

MotherMarjorie
04-12-2011, 10:12 AM
That's simply your opinion. And even if that's true, I give her a free pass b/c she has a daughter to take care of.
Its hard not to give Kim a free pass because she's so nice. But you shouldn't get one just because you can procreate when even animals can do that.

Mother Marjorie Ann

Ronaldo
04-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Devilto, no one since Stefanie Graf who retired in 1999 has had the physical and mental attributes to become an all-time Great in the sport of women's tennis.

Stefanie, Martina N., Chris America, etc. who made millions fought long and hard to win majors and play tour events, regardless of their wealth, late into their careers.

No, we just aren't seeing that type of ambition and will with this generation. Mother Marjorie guesses they might have acquired the lazy gene.

Mother Marjorie Ann

Gene joined Ben and created the situation.

sureshs
04-12-2011, 10:16 AM

Mother Marjorie Ann

It is just a sport. You are not supposed to "fight" for it. That is just an expectation that is embedded in us all due to conditioning. Once you make money, you should quit, just like people in other professions do. It is a profession, not a moral podium.

MotherMarjorie
04-12-2011, 10:48 AM
It is just a sport. You are not supposed to "fight" for it. That is just an expectation that is embedded in us all due to conditioning. Once you make money, you should quit, just like people in other professions do. It is a profession, not a moral podium.
Did Michael Jordan quit basketball after his first $50 million? NOooooooo.....
Did Pele' quit soccer after his first $1 million? NOoooooo........
Did Tiger Woods quit golf after his first $50 million? NOOoooo.......
Did Albert Pujols quit baseball after his first $20 million? NOOO...............

Do you know why?

Its because they wanted to be a part of history and in the discussion of the greatest of all-time in their respective sports. Some people like the competitive nature of sports, some do not.

Mother Marjorie Ann

ivan_the_terrible
04-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Her official injury report:

"diagnosis is a severe strain of both the medial and lateral ligaments of the right ankle and a torn ligaments, a torn capsule of the ankle joint, a hematoma and torn tendon sheath."

I know white people can't dance, but this is really exceptionally bad line-dancing, parrot-toed or not.

Ronaldo
04-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Did Michael Jordan quit basketball after his first $50 million? NOooooooo.....
Did Pele' quit soccer after his first $1 million? NOoooooo........
Did Tiger Woods quit golf after his first $50 million? NOOoooo.......
Did Albert Pujols quit baseball after his first $20 million? NOOO...............

Do you know why?

Its because they wanted to be a part of history and in the discussion of the greatest of all-time in their respective sports. Some people like the competitive nature of sports, some do not.

Mother Marjorie Ann

These are men. Are there real differences between men and women?

Devilito
04-12-2011, 01:16 PM
These are men. Are there real differences between men and women?

she already mentioned Graf, Navratilova, Evert, Seles. They had those qualities as well. It's just this generation that is sucking it up

sureshs
04-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Do you know why?

I don't know why, and no one can be sure either. I wouldn't go by what they say in public. For many people who have specialized in something and become good at it, work becomes an addiction and retirement becomes a nightmare. The boredom will literally kill you. Money and fame are also great motivators, of course not openly admitted in public. 50 mil may be big to you, but once you got 50 mil, you may still consider yourself poor and want more. It is all relative.

For someone who is not a workaholic and seeks a balanced life with varied interests, it is perfectly OK to walk away.

Ronaldo
04-12-2011, 02:12 PM
she already mentioned Graf, Navratilova, Evert, Seles. They had those qualities as well. It's just this generation that is sucking it up

So is it more endorsement dough? Shirley, Ivanovic and Sharapova make 10X more in endorements than from the Tour.

dominikk1985
04-12-2011, 02:43 PM
I don't know why, and no one can be sure either. I wouldn't go by what they say in public. For many people who have specialized in something and become good at it, work becomes an addiction and retirement becomes a nightmare. The boredom will literally kill you. Money and fame are also great motivators, of course not openly admitted in public. 50 mil may be big to you, but once you got 50 mil, you may still consider yourself poor and want more. It is all relative.

For someone who is not a workaholic and seeks a balanced life with varied interests, it is perfectly OK to walk away.

Right. Actually many of the super greats are absolute maniacs rather than balanced, healthy personalities.
Jordan, merckx or cobb where good examples for this.

those guys are often having childhood issues and try to gain confidence by winning.

that's what keeps them going strong till their mid30s. a more balanced person would take it a little easier in his late 20s when he has enough money and rather spent more time with their family.

but the real ATGs newer let go. they can't because they are obsessed.

Jimmy connors summed up this champions mentality pretty well:
"I hate to lose more than I love to win".

But still I would rank kim as one of those super hard fighters:
first woman to ever win a major after giving birth to a child
first woman ever to become no.1 after giving birth to a child

this is really a super strong feat. she was already a mother and super rich. and still she came back to dominate womens tennis. what could have been a greater effort?

Sid_Vicious
04-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Kim is too fat. If she lost weight she would not get injured so much.

cc0509
04-12-2011, 05:03 PM
But still I would rank kim as one of those super hard fighters:
first woman to ever win a major after giving birth to a child
first woman ever to become no.1 after giving birth to a child

this is really a super strong feat. she was already a mother and super rich. and still she came back to dominate womens tennis. what could have been a greater effort?

Right. You can't put Kim in the no fighter category. Retiring and having a child and then coming back and being even better than you were before you retired is no small feat in professional tennis.