PDA

View Full Version : Which of the young Germans is on her way to being the next Steffi Graf

NadalAgassi
04-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Germany has a slew of promising young girls invading the upper echelon of the womens game now. Which one of Lisicki, Goerges, or Petkovic will be the next Steffi Graf.

Devilito
04-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Steffi Graf coming back at 41 has a better chance of being the next Steffi Graf than any of these scrubs

kishnabe
04-11-2011, 03:49 PM
None of them....They won't even get pass o slams...Steffi has like 24!

jamesblakefan#1
04-11-2011, 03:56 PM
This is a horrible thread. Like saying every upcoming Swiss player (are there any?) should be the next Federer, every upcoming Spaniard should be the next Nadal, etc. All 3 I think could be top 20 players (Petkorazzi is already) but there's no need to say any of them will be the next Steffi.

Dilettante
04-11-2011, 04:20 PM
I love the poll threads which are self-answering to please the poster who created the thread.

So amusing.

VGP
04-11-2011, 04:22 PM
Anke Huber was touted as the "next Steffi."

She had a very respectable pro career, but came no where near Graf.

sureshs
04-11-2011, 04:47 PM
None of them....They won't even get pass o slams...Steffi has like 24!

How would she do today?

NadalAgassi
04-11-2011, 05:39 PM
This is a horrible thread. Like saying every upcoming Swiss player (are there any?) should be the next Federer, every upcoming Spaniard should be the next Nadal, etc. All 3 I think could be top 20 players (Petkorazzi is already) but there's no need to say any of them will be the next Steffi.

Germans would like to see the next Steffi Graf or Boris Becker. Anke Huber and Merlene Weingartner were once touted as the next Steffi Graf, and Nicolas Kiefer and Tommy Haas were both once touted as the next Boris Becker.

pvaudio
04-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Steffi Graf coming back at 41 has a better chance of being the next Steffi Graf than any of these scrubs:lol: Flawless

rudester
04-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Not sure about being the next Steffi, but i was impressed with Petkovic's play recently, don't know how long she can do the dance without ******* off other players though.

OHAI
04-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Steffi Graf coming back at 41 has a better chance of being the next Steffi Graf than any of these scrubs

HAHA TRUE STORY!

NadalAgassi
04-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Petkovic certainly has the talent to be the next Steffi Graf. If she can stay healthy and continue improving it seems likely.

cc0509
04-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Petkovic the next Graf? You guys are jesting correct? That is the zaniest thing I have ever heard on this forum.:confused:

cc0509
04-11-2011, 06:39 PM
How would she do today?

How would Steffi do today? She would destroy everybody in her path are you kidding me? I never really loved her personality but man she was talented.

1970CRBase
04-11-2011, 07:07 PM
None of the above though I like Lisicki most of them. No young WTA player I've seen so far have that fierce burning fire in them you saw in people like Chris, Steffi, Monica, Serena, Henin. All these girls today reach a comfort zone and are content to stay there.

Joe Pike
04-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Germany has a slew of promising young girls invading the upper echelon of the womens game now. Which one of Lisicki, Goerges, or Petkovic will be the next Steffi Graf.

Definitely no one.

jerriy
04-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Germany has a slew of promising young girls invading the upper echelon of the womens game now. Which one of Lisicki, Goerges, or Petkovic will be the next Steffi Graf.Where is the "none of the above" option? No, in fact the missing poll multiple choice should be titled "no way, not even a slight eenie meenie tiny monkey's *** of a chance". Believe it or not right now in Germany (in fact in general here in Europe) long-ago-retired Steffi is the only tennis face that still appears in TV programs and magazines and in new ads and commercials.

Basically no other "home" player exists as far as the country is concerned. In fact they have significantly far more interest in foreign (or rather Dutch WAGs who speak good or bad German in a funny accent than in slamless "sub top-20" level WTA players with a German passport.

Kunohara
04-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Missing the 4th poll option which is None of them.

CDestroyer
04-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Petkovic is the next German on her way onto my staff.

li0scc0
04-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Petkovic certainly has the talent to be the next Steffi Graf. If she can stay healthy and continue improving it seems likely.

I love Petkovic, but no, she doesn't. I doubt Petkovic will ever win a single Major, although if she continues to play the way she has been, she could reach a final.
Petkovic is a very, very good player, and quite likeable. Graf is arguable the greatest to ever play the game. A large gulf between the two.

dominikk1985
04-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Anke Huber was touted as the "next Steffi."

She had a very respectable pro career, but came no where near Graf.

those 3 won't even come close to huber.

stevorino
04-12-2011, 03:25 PM

this, end of topic.

Fifth Set
04-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Petko is the best of the three but Graf potential? No. That's not even fair.

If we are talking about becoming a very well liked player, top ranked in the country for years, with a chance of winning a slam, then sure. I think Andrea is up to that task.

sureshs
04-12-2011, 04:20 PM
How would Steffi do today? She would destroy everybody in her path are you kidding me? I never really loved her personality but man she was talented.

Don't see that

quest01
04-12-2011, 04:21 PM
I don't care, I'm not German.

jerriy
04-12-2011, 05:23 PM
I don't care, I'm not German.It's well obvious that you're not, Yank.

cc0509
04-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Don't see that

Seriously, you don't see that? Well, put your spectacles on then. Who on earth would stand in her way right now or in the past ten years?

single_handed_champion
04-12-2011, 05:43 PM
EPIC LOL... The sooner these girls stop being mentioned in the same breath as Steffi, the better for their own careers. Each of them is capable of having a nice, solid career, maybe reaching and staying for a few seasons in the top 20, nothing more.

dominikk1985
04-13-2011, 12:40 AM
EPIC LOL... The sooner these girls stop being mentioned in the same breath as Steffi, the better for their own careers. Each of them is capable of having a nice, solid career, maybe reaching and staying for a few seasons in the top 20, nothing more.

Right. that comparison is unfair.

there was a girl called the next steffi at very young age. her name is scarlett werner. she couldn't stand the pressure and retired at age 18 or so without ever being in the top200.

Underhand
04-13-2011, 07:01 AM
Three dumb ball bashers.

bluetrain4
04-13-2011, 07:06 AM
Where's the "none" option? You should have just asked which young German player has the best chance of winning a Slam.

Tennis sensation
04-13-2011, 08:15 AM

LOL

Nice One

The_Question
04-13-2011, 08:57 AM
The irony to this thread is...Petkovic nor Lisicki are a true German...

THUNDERVOLLEY
04-13-2011, 10:05 AM
Germans would like to see the next Steffi Graf or Boris Becker.

Exactly; the wish (from fans or the sports media of a country) to see the "next" version (in terms of success and/or playing style) is nothing new. When McEnroe and Connors were no longer a factor, the media cried " where are the next..." So, your OP was valid and has history to back up the question.

single_handed_champion
04-13-2011, 11:31 AM
I was terribly inconsiderate in my last post. As penance, let me pose a similar question:

"Which of the young Americans is on her way to being the next Serena Williams?"

a. Melanie Oudin
b. Christina McHale
c. Coco Vandeweghe
d. Sloane Stephens
e. There are far too many of them to list here, all with infinite potential

volleygirl
04-13-2011, 12:01 PM

Agree 100%. They are decent players but no where near Steffi.

sureshs
04-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Seriously, you don't see that? Well, put your spectacles on then. Who on earth would stand in her way right now or in the past ten years?

With that sliced backhand?

eidolonshinobi
04-13-2011, 12:12 PM
I love Petkovic, but no, she doesn't. I doubt Petkovic will ever win a single Major, although if she continues to play the way she has been, she could reach a final.
Petkovic is a very, very good player, and quite likeable. Graf is arguable the greatest to ever play the game. A large gulf between the two.

I agree, I don't she has the game right now to even be considered comparable to Graf.

Joe Pike
04-13-2011, 12:18 PM
With that sliced backhand?

Yes, who would be able to deal with this deadly combo - Steffi's slice BH and her murderous forehand?
Maybe Serena in her 2002/03 and Henin in her 2004-07 form now and then.

But else??

tenis1
04-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Yes, who would be able to deal with this deadly combo - Steffi's slice BH and her murderous forehand?

But else??

And Monika Seles 1990-1993.

Joe Pike
04-13-2011, 01:51 PM
And Monika Seles 1990-1993.

I don't see 1990-93 Seles coping with peak Steffi.

tenis1
04-13-2011, 02:14 PM
I don't see 1990-93 Seles coping with peak Steffi.

Well when was the "Peak Steffi" if not then. Monika was 16 years old in 1990.

I don't see peak Steffi coping with peak Monika which we never got to see due to despicable act of one Steffi Graf fan.

fedhingis515
04-13-2011, 02:18 PM

Where's this poll option?

svijk
04-13-2011, 02:52 PM
no matter what they do these chicks are much hotter than Steffi....i can live with that

MethodTennis
04-13-2011, 07:14 PM

I actually laughed out loud, nice achievement

hugobosstachini
04-13-2011, 07:40 PM
ROFL they'll not be next Steffi but the 3 can have very promising careers... Andrea might win a slam someday... close after Julia then Sabine... the tour would be spectacular if this infernal trio played their best all together.

Joe Pike
04-13-2011, 09:08 PM
Well when was the "Peak Steffi" if not then. Monika was 16 years old in 1990.

I don't see peak Steffi coping with peak Monika which we never got to see due to despicable act of one Steffi Graf fan.

Peak Steffi had five (!) seasons with winning percentages in the 96-98 percent range. Seles in her two best seasons ever was only at 92-93 percent.

BTW, in those two peak seasons of hers Seles lost 3 of 4 matches against Steffi, two of them badly.

Joe Pike
04-13-2011, 09:12 PM
no matter what they do these chicks are much hotter than Steffi....i can live with that

"Much hotter" than this?
Well what about some pics then?

http://www.sylphea.net/silphea/img/d256864c54857fff4d6572cca99704f7/sg5.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3370/3345932687_4c86ce8d92_o.jpg

Sid_Vicious
04-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Graf was not pretty at all.

She was in great shape though.

NadalAgassi
04-13-2011, 10:22 PM

But else??

Peak Serena could compete with peak Steffi possibly.

Peak Henin no way. She is an overrated player with nowhere near the talent to battle the true greats at their best. Graf at her peak would probably double bagel such a marginal talent as Henin.

single_handed_champion
04-14-2011, 06:59 AM

Peak Henin no way. She is an overrated player with nowhere near the talent to battle the true greats at their best. Graf at her peak would probably double bagel such a marginal talent as Henin.

I completely agree. And now that the spectacular Melanie Oudin is all set to take over from Serena and go on to become the greatest ever, smashing all previous records and definitions of athleticism and court craft, we might have to wonder if Serena and the overrated Henin did not luck out by avoiding Oudin altogether. She would win golden sets every time against either of them.

jerriy
04-14-2011, 07:23 AM

Peak Henin no way. She is an overrated player with nowhere near the talent to battle the true greats at their best. Graf at her peak would probably double bagel such a marginal talent as Henin.LMAO!

Stay crazy, bro.

Not a single other player has more complete all-court talent profile than Juju: ridiculously talented off of both wings, with an unparalleled arsenal of sublime shotmaking skills AND (at the same time) superb power/athleticism. Others players tend to be too much on one side or another (like Hingis) or have a slightly weaker wing (Graf)

The rest are all one dimensional hacks stuck somewhere in the range between "talented but soft-hitter" on one side and "ball-bashing idiot" on the other

Like it or not Justine will go down in history as (just as John McEnroe said) the most brilliant and talented female tennis player of ALL time

bluetrain4
04-14-2011, 07:27 AM
The irony to this thread is...Petkovic nor Lisicki are a true German...

Does it really matter? People have been moving to different countries forever. They're both true German citizens.

Marius_Hancu
04-14-2011, 07:35 AM
No one: next Graf
Don't you know what 22 GSs are made of?

tenis1
04-14-2011, 07:45 AM
Peak Steffi had five (!) seasons with winning percentages in the 96-98 percent range. Seles in her two best seasons ever was only at 92-93 percent.

BTW, in those two peak seasons of hers Seles lost 3 of 4 matches against Steffi, two of them badly.

Graf's wining percentage is that high only because Graf didn't have to face Seles in those seasons.
Seles was 17 and 18 in those "two peak seasons" as you incorrectly call them, and she still won 3 out of 4 GS titles each season with the PEAK Graf playing.
Again the simple fact you chose to ignore is that we never got to see PEAK Seles, due to despicable act of one Graf's fan.

jerriy
04-14-2011, 07:51 AM
she still won 3 out of 4 GS titles each season with the PEAK Graf playing.
Again the simple fact you chose to ignore is that we never got to see PEAK Seles, due to despicable act of one Graf fan.Bullcrap. You're a fraud.

Seles's case was the most traumatizing but STILL that doesn't mean that Seles has a monopoly on slumps caused by non-tennis issues. Others did as well and one of those was in fact Graf beginning in April or May 1990: Monica started winning slams only after the Graf-father scandal broke and threw Steffi off course and into a slump, especially the media aspect of it, as I remember well (it was all over TV and newspapers)

Ofcourse, you like most ***** here were in diapers back then and only know that period of time from the internet. But some of us are old enough to remember the early 90s (on top of the written historical record)

tenis1
04-14-2011, 07:56 AM
Bullcrap. You're a fraud.

Seles's case was the most traumatising but STILL that does NEVER mean that Seles has a monopoly on slumps caused by non-tennis issues. Seles started winning slams only after the Graf-father scandal broke. You were probably in dipers back then but some of us are old enough to remeber the early 90s. You obviously are the the imblecile types who only know the early 90s from the internet.

The fact the you have to resort to the name calling is prof enough that you have no real arguments.

Monika started winning slams when she become old enough (turned 16/17). It has nothing to do with Graf. You didn't expect her to win slams when she was 14 or 15?????
I am old enough to remember that 17/18 years old Seles completely dominated the tour including peak Graf on all surfaces except grass.

Set to ignore. No need to waste any more time with tools like this.

jerriy
04-14-2011, 08:04 AM
I am old enough to remember that 17/18 years old Seles completely dominated the tour including peak GrafThat never happened. Yer talkin out of your ***.

Graf was not in peak form. She was losing especially to Sabatini around this time.

I remember it well. That's in the memory of all who were following tennis back then.
That's also what you find in the historical record (then-current reports, TV, newspapers... etc

In other words: you are simply lying and hoping that history will be re-written

Boricua
04-14-2011, 08:08 AM
Not sure about being the next Steffi, but i was impressed with Petkovic's play recently, don't know how long she can do the dance without ******* off other players though.

Petkovic has good potential. Very precise, strong and aggresive game, could be a Top Ten if she is consistent.

Cup8489
04-14-2011, 08:23 AM
The fact the you have to resort to the name calling is prof enough that you have no real arguments.

Monika started winning slams when she become old enough (turned 16/17). It has nothing to do with Graf. You didn't expect her to win slams when she was 14 or 15?????
I am old enough to remember that 17/18 years old Seles completely dominated the tour including peak Graf on all surfaces except grass.

Set to ignore. No need to waste any more time with tools like this.

funny that you're pointing out insulting as an invalid way to make an argument when you yourself do it CONSTANTLY. I could quote 10 posts of yours with insults laced into them.

Joe Pike
04-14-2011, 08:35 AM

Like it or not Justine will go down in history as (just as John McEnroe said) the most brilliant and talented female tennis player of ALL time

Wow, Mac apparently still is mad at Steffi!
How pathetic ...

Joe Pike
04-14-2011, 08:39 AM
Graf's wining percentage is that high only because Graf didn't have to face Seles in those seasons.
Seles was 17 and 18 in those "two peak seasons" as you incorrectly call them, and she still won 3 out of 4 GS titles each season with the PEAK Graf playing.
Again the simple fact you chose to ignore is that we never got to see PEAK Seles, due to despicable act of one Graf's fan.

In three of these five top peak season Steffi HAD to face Seles.
And in Seles's two peak seasons she lost 3 of 4 matches against non-peak Graf.
So I don't know what your point is.

Sadly we never got to see ABSOLUTE peak Steffi, due to a blackmail scandal and due to reconstructive knee surgery.
Seles on the other hand was getting fat in 92/93 already. To suggest she wouldn't have ballooned further if the stabbing hadn't happened is pure conjecture.

NadalAgassi
04-14-2011, 08:40 AM

1991 and 1992 was peak Seles. We saw evidence of this when aged 21-28 as a fully able bodied women she failed to produce tennis of as high or higher caliber. Peak Seles had a losing record vs Graf, lost 4 times to a mid 30s Navratilova, had losses to everyone else in the top 6 in her best year ever (1992), lost numerous sets in slams to journeywomen, never won Wimbledon, and lost a slam final 6-2, 6-1. Peak Court and Graf won the Grand Slam, peak Navratilova lost 2 matches a year, peak Connolly won all 9 slams she played, peak Evert won 125 matches in a row on clay and won Wimbledons on her worst surface, as you can see there is no comparision between these players at their peaks and Seles at hers. You Selestials just have to accept that Seles is nowhere near being a GOAT level talent or player no matter how you spin it, peak level, career, what ifs, anything except cheeseburgers. For the record I dont think Graf is the GOAT either, but obviously she is better than Seles. And lastly how can 91-92 be peak Graf when there are 10 years she was playing better than those. I guess then you think players have 12 year peaks in which case I guess Seles of 2003 who was losing in slams to Koukalova and Petrova was peak Seles too as it amongst her 12 best years of tennis right, LOL!

Joe Pike
04-14-2011, 08:44 AM
I am old enough to remember that 17/18 years old Seles completely dominated the tour including peak Graf ...

17/18-year-old Seles played four times against Steffi:

1) Lost 46 36 in San Antonio 1991
2) Lost 57 76 36 in Hamburg 1991
3) Won 62 36 108 at FO 92 in 1992
4) Lost 26 16 in Wimbledon 1992

1-3 in matches,
3-7 in sets,
44-59 in games.

And that definitely was NOT peak Graf.