PDA

View Full Version : Milos Raonic

davydenko_fan
04-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Raonic is an awesome talent. That's a given. BUT, his 2handed backhand isn't exactly technically sound. He flops over too early and usually hinders solid and consistent contact.

With that being said, if he continues on with this same technical deficiency, how long do you think it will take the top pros to catch on and devise a strategy to attack it? Because we see a lot of players rise in the ranks only to fall when they have to defend all the points from their breakout year and when players catch on to their games.

roundiesee
04-12-2011, 08:59 PM
He is very solid for his age, and his attitude on court is exemplary. I think he will need probably another year or two to mature, but no doubt he will be a great player, especially with THAT serve of his :)

Devilito
04-12-2011, 09:03 PM
This is really his 1st year playing a full tour. His game will improve as his confidence rises. His strokes will no doubt develop and become more solid and change slightly. Just like Federer’s strokes look slightly different than they did back in 2001-2002

davydenko_fan
04-12-2011, 09:04 PM
I agree 100% with his talent level. But maturing and technically advancing are 2 completely different aspects.

Do you think he will be able to improve that part of his game? The way his backhand is right now is good enough to keep him in the top 20, but if he wants to contend consistently with the Top 10 Top 5 guys, I just feel like he needs to improve his directional control and contact point on that stroke to do that.

Ludwig von Mises
04-12-2011, 09:06 PM
Raonic is an awesome talent. That's a given. BUT, his 2handed backhand isn't exactly technically sound. He flops over too early and usually hinders solid and consistent contact.

With that being said, if he continues on with this same technical deficiency, how long do you think it will take the top pros to catch on and devise a strategy to attack it? Because we see a lot of players rise in the ranks only to fall when they have to defend all the points from their breakout year and when players catch on to their games.

you are right on, the bh is definitely an issue for him. i have noticed that he especially has a problem hitting the bh clean up the line when in the ad court. still with that big of a game especially on the faster courts it might be quite hard for someone to really go after that wing for an entire match. he can probably get into the top 15 or even top 10 without even significantly improving that bh.

davydenko_fan
04-12-2011, 09:08 PM
This is really his 1st year playing a full tour. His game will improve as his confidence rises. His strokes will no doubt develop and become more solid and change slightly. Just like Federerís strokes look slightly different than they did back in 2001-2002

That's a great point. Fed's forehand and serve technique has change over the yrs.
Definitely improved as the yrs went on. He improved in the technical department and the physical dept. That is why he was able to make the jump from a top 20 player to top 5 player

Ludwig von Mises
04-12-2011, 09:09 PM
I agree 100% with his talent level. But maturing and technically advancing are 2 completely different aspects.

Do you think he will be able to improve that part of his game? The way his backhand is right now is good enough to keep him in the top 20, but if he wants to contend consistently with the Top 10 Top 5 guys, I just feel like he needs to improve his directional control and contact point on that stroke to do that.

sorry i was posting my comment while you were writing this, yes i think to compete with the top5 guys (excluding murray) he def need to restructure that bh

Devilito
04-12-2011, 09:12 PM
sorry i was posting my comment while you were writing this, yes i think to compete with the top5 guys (excluding murray) he def need to restructure that bh

LMAO you are so right

davydenko_fan
04-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Just a little note: I'm watching a repeat of his match with Gulbis, and at 5-4 in the 1st set, he goes to his bag, swaps out his blx blade and pulls out a kblade. That's a little uncommon for at the professional events haha

Devilito
04-12-2011, 09:28 PM
Just a little note: I'm watching a repeat of his match with Gulbis, and at 5-4 in the 1st set, he goes to his bag, swaps out his blx blade and pulls out a kblade. That's a little uncommon for at the professional events haha

less Basalt more Karophite. Adds an extra 10mph to his serve

Marius_Hancu
04-13-2011, 03:04 AM

It's more mental than anything, it was quite an effective shot at the AO.

He needs to:

- give up on running around every BH: he was surprised by Gulbis 3 times or so while backpedalling from the BH corner; he needs to balance his game FH vs BH

- stay low into and with that shot, keep the front knee well-flexed throughout the shot;

- get lower the racquet under the ball during the pre-contact zone to get more topspin on the DTL BH, to make it safer over the net

04-13-2011, 06:31 AM
Raonic is the most overrated player in tennis history.

cc0509
04-13-2011, 06:36 AM
Raonic is the most overrated player in tennis history.

We'll see about that.

Buckethead
04-13-2011, 07:28 AM
He will be a contender for semis in every major from now on, top 10 by the end of the year.
If you think that He still can improve a lot, it becomes scary.

GRANITECHIEF
04-13-2011, 10:46 AM
I didn't expect much from Milos on the clay, but he already has a couple wins.

He will be scary on faster courts, wimby and US open for example.

Devilito
04-13-2011, 10:50 AM
I didn't expect much from Milos on the clay, but he already has a couple wins.

He will be scary on faster courts, wimby and US open for example.

He crushed his Davis Cup opponents on clay and heís 2-0 so far against good opponents. Iíd say heís doing well for what people are saying would be his worst surface.

pound cat
04-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Raonic comments after the victory over Gulbis. Not only can he play, he also gives great interviews. And he's only 20 years old.

sportsnet.ca

"I try not to think about the opponent," Raonic said. "I feel if I'm able to control the court and dictate, I always have a good chance.

"My job is to hopefully to keep winning, to keep getting better. I just have to focus on myself, focus on what I need to do."

Raonic said while his total career exposure to clay can still only be counted in hours, he's learning fast.

"I think it's more the mentality behind it. I'm used to knowing if I hit a good forehand, the point could be over," he explained. "Here it's not just one good forehand, it comes down to a few good forehands in a row.

"I need to always be expecting the ball to come back, being prepared to have to play a lot of long points, a lot of good shots.

"I'm trying to get used to as much as possible and I think this is getting better by the day."

Raonic is also enjoying playing in Monaco, one of the European temples of tennis.

He has been duly impressed in his first trip to the luxury haven on the Mediterranean -- and his five-star waterfront accommodation.

"It's really a spectacular place," he said of the cliffside Monte Carlo Country Club, which overlooks the sea. "The first thing my coach told me when we got here, we came after an hour to the club, first thing he told me, 'Go up there, climb up behind centre court and take a look over centre court and absorb the view.'

"I think I tweeted it right away. This was probably the most spectacular thing, just like knowing where I am, absorbing, understanding I'm actually here playing, I'm not at some future in somebody's backyard playing a clay court tournament."

Manus Domini
04-13-2011, 03:30 PM

Why Murray? Murray [sadly] has one of the best backhands on tour

and the sadly because it isn't a 1hbh :(

rudester
04-13-2011, 04:22 PM
What really impresses me about Raonic is his emotional stability, one cannot tell by facial expression if he won or lost the last point. He is a throwback in todays world of fist pumps, tantrums etc. Raonic exhibits the same kind of composure, concentration, and focus as those such as Laver Rosewall, Borg, if i may venture to use them as examples. I think that this combined with his talent and youth should carry him far. In his match with Gulbis, who displayed more or less the opposite demeanor, I believe the results were influenced by this different approach to adversity.

pound cat
04-13-2011, 04:24 PM
Put your money where your mouth is if you really believe Raonic will beat Ferer. There is a ton of money to be made by betting on Raonic to win..that is, if you are over 18 and your government allows internet gambling.

http://bettingzone.oddschecker.com/tennis/mens-tour/atp-monte-carlo/milos-raonic-v-david-ferrer/winner

pound cat
04-13-2011, 04:46 PM
This is very interesting. sportinglife.com a big British site has Raonic as the 10th most likely of all the MC players to win the title

Here's the complete list of the entrant's chance of winning according to the punters.

http://bettingzone.oddschecker.com/tennis/mens-tour/atp-monte-carlo/atp-monte-carlo-masters/winner

pound cat
04-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Here is the interview after the Gulbis match...more of a statement about who Raonic is as a tennis player and how he plays the game. This should be mandatory reading for any young person who aspires to be a pro., or any tennis fan. Raonic's maturity and eloquence are amazing.

http://www.monte-carlorolexmasters.com/News/Tennis/2011/Interview-Transcripts/Milos-Raonic-Tuesday.aspx

cc0509
04-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Here is the interview after the Gulbis match...more of a statement about who Raonic is as a tennis player and how he plays the game. This should be mandatory reading for any young person who aspires to be a pro., or any tennis fan. Raonic's maturity and eloquence are amazing.

http://www.monte-carlorolexmasters.com/News/Tennis/2011/Interview-Transcripts/Milos-Raonic-Tuesday.aspx

Nice. I like him. He seems pretty bright to me. I really hope he is able to handle the pressure and keep on rising in the rankings. Hope he will not just be another flash in the pan. For some reason I have a good feeling about this kid.
*fingers crossed*

roundiesee
04-13-2011, 06:36 PM
What really impresses me about Raonic is his emotional stability, one cannot tell by facial expression if he won or lost the last point. He is a throwback in todays world of fist pumps, tantrums etc. Raonic exhibits the same kind of composure, concentration, and focus as those such as Laver Rosewall, Borg, if i may venture to use them as examples. I think that this combined with his talent and youth should carry him far. In his match with Gulbis, who displayed more or less the opposite presence of mind, I believe the results were influenced by this different approach to adversity.

I agree with this, good post; don't know what it is about Milos, but he really reminds me of Young Pete when he first burst onto the scene; of course Pete actually won the US Open at age 19, so we really can't compare the 2 in terms of accomplishment, but Milos has that "straight-faced", "nothing-will-bother-me" focus that Pete had when they were both that age. Let's see how he develops in the nest 1-2 years.
Wish he had a one-hander though, but never mind :(