PDA

View Full Version : Sick of ignorant commentators about Raonic

Devilito
04-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Sick of people referring to Raonic like he’s some type of freak of nature monster of a man. He’s 6’5” for Christ sake. Del Potro is 6’6”, so is Querrey and not to mention real monsters like Isner. I don’t hear the commentators bring up what a monster Del Potro is every time he plays and he is bigger. The fact Raonic has a better serve than any of them is SKILL not height ffs. It’s just a pet peeve that’s getting old. WOW! He can actually RUN! Amazing. I didn’t think monsters like him could move that well. FFS go DIAF thanks

Sentinel
04-12-2011, 11:49 PM
You need to calm the fish down, devilito !! Commies need to make things sound exciting. Much like the titles of most threads here.

hansolo
04-12-2011, 11:54 PM
haha Devilito, i agree!

Datacipher
04-13-2011, 12:59 AM
You need to calm the fish down, devilito !! Commies need to make things sound exciting. Much like the titles of most threads here.

No he doesn't damn it! He's got an excellent point. In addition, they need to shut up about Nadal being fast...LOTS of players are fast. And STOP talkinga bout Fed's forehand, lots of people have big forehands, some bigger than Fed's.

I mean yes....his height is well above average, and yes, it's a big part of his game, but come ON, that does not mean they should talk about it!!!

IF they need note it, the commentary should be:

"he's fairly big"
"oh? I hadn't noticed"
"well, he's above average height anyways"
"I suppose...I've seen bigger"

aphex
04-13-2011, 12:59 AM
Raonic should play an exhibition with the elephant man.

Sentinel
04-13-2011, 01:18 AM
^^ haha, datacipher :D

cc0509
04-13-2011, 05:00 AM
Raonic should play an exhibition with the elephant man.

No, that should be Isner. He is definitely the most freakish looking. Milos is a tall guy but not freakish looking at all IMO.

MixieP
04-13-2011, 05:02 AM
It's because of Raonic's long legs. They make his appearance worthy of comment.

Sentinel
04-13-2011, 05:17 AM
he does look like Frodo Baggins on stilts, if yer ask me.

cc0509
04-13-2011, 06:39 AM

His legs are long but they are also solid and muscular. Like tree trunks. Not like stilts at all imo.

superjd
04-13-2011, 07:35 AM
milos needs to get a proper clothing sponsor and stop wearing kid clothes, that's the reason he look funny... he could take andy roddick's XXL t-shirt to start with :)

stringertom
04-13-2011, 08:00 AM
One of the Brit voices referred to Babyface as "Milos" but pronouncing it as though it rhymed with "Vilas". It is "Me-loash", is it not?

The undersized apparel might be the new wave: the young French wildcard was also sporting a pair of shorts with less inseam. Let's hope that look goes away.

I'll put up with the above as long as he keeps playing the pretty game he has. It's a nice bounce back from the early exit in Miami. That shows great resilience for a young 'un.

Pozarevacka
04-13-2011, 08:42 AM
His legs are long but they are also solid and muscular. Like tree trunks. Not like stilts at all imo.

Yeah Isner and all those other guys like Cilic, etc have no muscle and are basically skin and bone. Milos' legs are massive.

Pozarevacka
04-13-2011, 08:43 AM
milos needs to get a proper clothing sponsor and stop wearing kid clothes, that's the reason he look funny... he could take andy roddick's XXL t-shirt to start with :)

Yeah then he can play up in Harlem maybe get Sean John to sponsor him. I think his clothes are fine.

psYcon
04-13-2011, 08:47 AM

It is more due to the small shorts he wears which give him that look. Any tall player, Cilic / Isner / Del Potro will appear the same.

Devilito
04-13-2011, 08:55 AM
It is more due to the small shorts he wears which give him that look. Any tall player, Cilic / Isner / Del Potro will appear the same.

I don’t remember the last time Del Potro played where they kept going on about how massive he is, how he’s a monster like Godzilla ready to destroy entire cities. They usually don’t even mention his height. Maybe it’s because he doesn’t serve 140mph. Not to mention he’s bigger than Milos. Put Milos in a line up of other tall ATP players and he’d be just average. It’s like they don’t have any other talking points about him. Heck before his match with Gulbis one of the commentators said, “well I’ve never really seen him play much, I guess he’s just a huge guy with lots of power”. Ok there buddy. One of them even said during the match he might do ok on faster courts if he practiced a little ‘serve and volley’ even though on fast courts he mixes in serve and volley all the time. Where do they dig up these fools? If your JOB is a tennis commentator shouldn’t that require you to at least WATCH tennis?

Totai
04-13-2011, 09:15 AM
I don’t remember the last time Del Potro played where they kept going on about how massive he is, how he’s a monster like Godzilla ready to destroy entire cities. They usually don’t even mention his height. Maybe it’s because he doesn’t serve 140mph. Not to mention he’s bigger than Milos. Put Milos in a line up of other tall ATP players and he’d be just average. It’s like they don’t have any other talking points about him. Heck before his match with Gulbis one of the commentators said, “well I’ve never really seen him play much, I guess he’s just a huge guy with lots of power”. Ok there buddy. One of them even said during the match he might do ok on faster courts if he practiced a little ‘serve and volley’ even though on fast courts he mixes in serve and volley all the time. Where do they dig up these fools? If your JOB is a tennis commentator shouldn’t that require you to at least WATCH tennis?

They are always mentioning Delpotro's huge wing span.

E.g: Deplo hits huge inside out forehand.

Commentator: Oh crikey mate!that delpotro is able to generate so much pace because of his huge wing span, he is able to genrate so much momentum that none of his puny 6'1 opponents can even dream of gerating. Delpotro is just huge, his massively long legs let him take one huge stride to get from one side of the court to the other, and then he uses his gargantuan wing span to flap his arms and totally just slap the ball! And OMG delpotro is so tall but he can somehow move well around the court! that is just unfair and unreal! Tennis is a big man's game now!

cc0509
04-13-2011, 09:24 AM
I don’t remember the last time Del Potro played where they kept going on about how massive he is, how he’s a monster like Godzilla ready to destroy entire cities.

This just cracked me right up!

Devilito
04-13-2011, 09:44 AM
They are always mentioning Delpotro's huge wing span.

E.g: Deplo hits huge inside out forehand.

Commentator: Oh crikey mate!that delpotro is able to generate so much pace because of his huge wing span, he is able to genrate so much momentum that none of his puny 6'1 opponents can even dream of gerating. Delpotro is just huge, his massively long legs let him take one huge stride to get from one side of the court to the other, and then he uses his gargantuan wing span to flap his arms and totally just slap the ball! And OMG delpotro is so tall but he can somehow move well around the court! that is just unfair and unreal! Tennis is a big man's game now!

you don't hear that much with Del Potro maybe because he has a higher respect level due to his slam win. To me, harping on someone's physical attributes and not about his game is insulting. Especially when it's exaggerated. If Isner or Karlovic were hitting 160mph serves consistently i could see where that would get ridiculous. But Milos serves harder more consistently than them and is way smaller. It takes me back to when people were commenting on Petros' serve being such a big advantage. I'm sorry but Petros was 6' tall. If you're 6' tall and can't serve like Petros then TOUGH LUCK. It's not like he had some unfair advantage that other's didn't have. IMO it's just weak commentators and analysts and know nothing about tennis.

Sentinel
04-13-2011, 09:54 AM
Devil, how did you like it when the commies used to say "Vintage Federer" or "inch perfect" after every 90 seconds. Aren;t we thankful those days are over ;)

BrooklynNY
04-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Devil, how did you like it when the commies used to say "Vintage Federer" or "inch perfect" after every 90 seconds. Aren;t we thankful those days are over ;)

Actually, now they say "Vintage Federer" every time he plays decently and hits a few winners. Or makes 4 backhands in a row, 1 of them up the line.

:twisted:

boris becker 1
04-13-2011, 10:07 AM
yeah yeah yeah.

karlovic is what 6 ft 7. and isner 6 ft 9 with only a serve

Devilito
04-13-2011, 10:52 AM

Seems like whenever Federer, Nadal or Djokovic hit a winner it’s like the greatest shot in the history of tennis. Watching Djokovic play now is unbearable due to the nut hugging. It’s like winners never existed before. I swear, when watching Petros or Andre play they were hitting winners left and right and nobody ever commented on the fact. Yet if Djokovic or Nadal hit a winner it’s like OMFG DID YOU SEE THAT? DID YOU SEE THAT? MY GOD HOW MUCH TENNIS HAS PROGRESSED! THEY HIT A WINNER OMG!

bolo
04-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Seems like whenever Federer, Nadal or Djokovic hit a winner it’s like the greatest shot in the history of tennis. Watching Djokovic play now is unbearable due to the nut hugging. It’s like winners never existed before. I swear, when watching Petros or Andre play they were hitting winners left and right and nobody ever commented on the fact. Yet if Djokovic or Nadal hit a winner it’s like OMFG DID YOU SEE THAT? DID YOU SEE THAT? MY GOD HOW MUCH TENNIS HAS PROGRESSED! THEY HIT A WINNER OMG!

lol 10 char. :)

The Wreck
04-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Yeah, the Raonic thing is annoying. But the ABSOLUTE WORST is when Mardy Fish plays. Jesus Christ, you'd have thought he was a 300 pound, out of shape loser. Every single time he wins a long point, "Oh yeah, all that weight he lost, blah blah blah". THAT WAS OVER A YEAR AGO.

Devilito
04-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Yeah, the Raonic thing is annoying. But the ABSOLUTE WORST is when Mardy Fish plays. Jesus Christ, you'd have thought he was a 300 pound, out of shape loser. Every single time he wins a long point, "Oh yeah, all that weight he lost, blah blah blah". THAT WAS OVER A YEAR AGO.

Every time I see Fish play and listen to the commentators I get the same impression. That he was a 350lb whale that got his stomach stapled so he could drop weight. Reminds me of the opposite of when Andre played in the early 90s. “Andre has been working out, did you know he can bench press 300lbs?” Or, “did you know Andre likes to eat cheeseburgers? That must be why he lost the French Open final”

Ludwig von Mises
04-13-2011, 11:08 AM

Yeah, especially when Mary Carillo is on the case. "Mardy has such dedication; did you know that for 1 year all Mardy ate was celery and 2 oz of tuna- 5 times per day. He completely gave up all sugars and alcohol and he forced his wife Stacy to do the same; and he ran up the Agassi mountain for like 7 hours per day. Unbelievable discipline in this young man! His game is soooooo different now."

It's like, the guy is professional athlete, he only lost like 25 lbs, isn't great physical condition expected?

cknobman
04-13-2011, 11:55 AM
It's like, the guy is professional athlete, he only lost like 25 lbs, isn't great physical condition expected?

See bolded parts of your question then watch the WTA and youll get your answer.

BrooklynNY
04-13-2011, 12:13 PM

Agreed, Same thing with spectacular half volleys, volleys and overheads and ridiculus on the run winners. Now that is like a shot made by Sweet Baby Jesus himself.

I watched the 95 US Open final, Pete and Andre, and Johnny Mac and Mary Carillo would just continue talking as if nothing spectacular had happened whenever a ridiculous winner was hit.

Sid_Vicious
04-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Agreed, Same thing with spectacular half volleys, volleys and overheads and ridiculus on the run winners. Now that is like a shot made by Sweet Baby Jesus himself.

I watched the 95 US Open final, Pete and Andre, and Johnny Mac and Mary Carillo would just continue talking as if nothing spectacular had happened whenever a ridiculous winner was hit.
I have to disagree. All the commentators had their heads stuck firmly up Pete and Andres arse. "OMG, Pete is such an athlete.Look at that slam dunk!" I have seen Monfils get more air than Sampras ever did but no one ever cares to hype it up as much as they did with Pete.

Also, whenever Sampras hit a running forehand it was like the world was coming to an end. I have seen Federer/Nadal hit a buttload of those but they never get a unique status of "running forehand master" like Sampras did.

BrooklynNY
04-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Yeah, but at the end of the day, it comes down to doing spectacular things and winning ALOT.

Sure, Monfils can get big airtime, or do some pretty athletic things, but....Monfils hasn't mastered the 2nd part. As much as the 3 monsters in Pete, Rafa, and Roger.

Nadal and Federer have, and they do have their share of commentators on their respective stick.("federer best slice ever"), I've even seen a poll which tennis media gave options of which is a better shot, Djokovic Backhand drive or the Federer Slice, you need to have your head up Fed's *** pretty far to even allow that comparison to be made.

bolo
04-13-2011, 12:34 PM
I have to disagree. All the commentators had their heads stuck firmly up Pete and Andres arse. "OMG, Pete is such an athlete.Look at that slam dunk!" I have seen Monfils get more air than Sampras ever did but no one ever cares to hype it up as much as they did with Pete.

Also, whenever Sampras hit a running forehand it was like the world was coming to an end. I have seen Federer/Nadal hit a buttload of those but they never get a unique status of "running forehand master" like Sampras did.

It's because the federer and nadal running forehands aren't nearly as good as the sampras running forehands. Their running forehands get a lot more air and so give the other guy a lot more time to make decisions, the sampras fh was just a lot more dangerous. Their fhs look good when the other guy is at the net, but the sampras fh looked good even when the other guy was at the baseline. The only comparable guy these days to the sampras running fh is delpo imo and he got plenty of attention for that shot during his final with federer. It was a spectacular shot and was recognized as such.

Monfils might get air once in a long while, but sampras just did it more often, with better coordination and grace and in less controlled circumstances.

MajinX
04-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Lmao funniest thread in a while, its true but they are paid to make things seem more interesting and more dramatic so ya... they have to make the non tennis fans start to enjoy and find tennis more interesting afterall and they do it by sounding ridicoulous

Sid_Vicious
04-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Sampras used to jump and crush his overhead which was awesome to watch and extremely stylish, but he could just as easily have won the point by not jumping.

Monfils does not just get more air once in a long while, he can ALWAYS jump higher than Sampras, Federer, or Nadal, but clearly that does not make him a better player. I am only saying that commentators exaggerated the abilities of great players in every era.

Also, I disagree with your assessment on running forehands. In his prime, Federer's running forehand was ridiculously lethal and easily rivaled Pete's IMO. Federer does not always give his running forehand's a lot of air, he often gets to the ball early and crushes/redirects it CC or DTL.

People make it seem like Sampras's hit a 100mph winner of his forehand wing on the run almost 100% of the time, which is just rubbish. He played excellent defense of that wing as well as offense; he also gave his forehands 'air' when he needed to.

Djokolate
04-13-2011, 12:46 PM
All commentators just take the p**s out of Roddick :D
Lol. Not that I don't like him, I think Roddick is good. He should have been a comedian though :D

I remember watching Roddick and they were like ' YEAH AWFUL BACKHAND BY RODDICK THERE ' or ' Yeah he used to have a huge serve and forehand now it's just an okay serve ' like, after 1 in 1,000,000 errors.

Djokolate
Sozzy. Double post.

BrooklynNY
Also, I disagree with your assessment on running forehands. In his prime, Federer's running forehand was ridiculously lethal and easily rivaled Pete's IMO.

Hmm... Even current day commentators still give that edge to Pete, they will clearly say, Federer is better on the off wing(inside out), or stationary. But cannot touch Pete on the run.

Bolo, I agree, the only comparable forehand to day is Delpo's, which speaks for itself.

Djokolate
04-13-2011, 12:48 PM
yeah yeah yeah.

karlovic is what 6 ft 7. and isner 6 ft 9 with only a serve

Other way round I think. Karlo is the tallest tennis player in the world.

Sid_Vicious
04-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Hmm... Even current day commentators still give that edge to Pete, they will clearly say, Federer is better on the off wing(inside out), or stationary. But cannot touch Pete on the run.

Bolo, I agree, the only comparable forehand to day is Delpo's, which speaks for itself.
That is because Federer is losing now. They all talked about how it was greatest shot in the history of the sport in 05/06/07 and how he could do everything with it.

Also, Pete's I/O and I/I forehand shots dont get enough credit. Those were amazing :shock:.

stringertom
04-13-2011, 01:19 PM
The OP mentioned this guy named Raonic. Yeah, the booths go crazy about the slightest of accomplishments of the elites and certainly have shown their ignorance of Raonic's game. I think the R16 matchup exposes his lack of experience on the dirt but 130+ well-placed bombs will make this a good match. Just stop calling him "Milas". "Me-loash" is not hard to say. If so, Babyface will do better.

CCNM
04-13-2011, 01:27 PM
The 6'10" guy (I think it's Karlovic) is the one they should call a freak of nature monster. Personally, I think Del Potro with his long arms and reddish hair looks like a young orangutan.

mr_eko
04-13-2011, 01:36 PM
I've played with people who have practiced with Raonic, and they don't have good things to say about his personality. Apparently he's really cocky and a ******. I've never met him even though were the same age and ranked in Ontario.

fed_rulz
04-13-2011, 01:41 PM

+1. Pete-loyalists are just a bunch of angry whiners. Can't stomach the fact that Federer/Nadal/Djokovic can play more spectacular tennis than their idol. If Federer receives more praise than Sampras, it must always be due to bias, and some ulterior motive to make tennis popular, blah..blah..blah, but never an iota of chance that may be he does play more attractive tennis than Pete?

firefox
04-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Raonic is super tall and strong for a 12 year old! :twisted:

bolo
04-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Sampras used to jump and crush his overhead which was awesome to watch and extremely stylish, but he could just as easily have won the point by not jumping.

Monfils does not just get more air once in a long while, he can ALWAYS jump higher than Sampras, Federer, or Nadal, but clearly that does not make him a better player. I am only saying that commentators exaggerated the abilities of great players in every era.

Also, I disagree with your assessment on running forehands. In his prime, Federer's running forehand was ridiculously lethal and easily rivaled Pete's IMO. Federer does not always give his running forehand's a lot of air, he often gets to the ball early and crushes/redirects it CC or DTL.

People make it seem like Sampras's hit a 100mph winner of his forehand wing on the run almost 100% of the time, which is just rubbish. He played excellent defense of that wing as well as offense; he also gave his forehands 'air' when he needed to.

we all have our impressions about the running forehands, but I am surprised with the monfils and sampras slam dunk comparisons. I don't even know what it means to "always" jump higher? Sure if it was a pure jumping contest maybe, but I hope you are not implying that monfils always jumps higher on his slam dunks than sampras during matchplay. In any case in match play the sampras slam dunk is just a lot more interesting, that's why it gets more "hype". Nothing to do with underappreciating, over appreciating etc.

Sampras has slam dunks where during match play he is leaping and sometimes moving laterally and diagonally to the court and picking them off in mid air. If monfils tried some of these dunks, it's even odds he would either injure a spectator or injure himself. :) In terms of the frequency of dunks and athleticism (coordination, grace, leaping, overall awesomeness :)) they are just not in the same ballpark. My favorite sampras smash is the first one in this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JDlKYn0p9c&feature=related

Sid_Vicious
04-13-2011, 01:59 PM
+1. Pete-loyalists are just a bunch of angry whiners. Can't stomach the fact that Federer/Nadal/Djokovic can play more spectacular tennis than their idol. If Federer receives more praise than Sampras, it must always be due to bias, and some ulterior motive to make tennis popular, blah..blah..blah, but never an iota of chance that may be he does play more attractive tennis than Pete?
C'mon, lets be fair to Pete. In many aspects he was more spectacular than Federer/Nadal. He is one of the greatest to ever play this game. The whole point I was trying to make is that commentators have been hyping up players forever. Sure, commentators might go crazy when Federer hits the simplest forehand winner, but they did that in the past generations as well. I just felt that Devilito and BrookylnNY were just not giving a very balanced view about the issue. That is all.

sureshs
04-13-2011, 02:01 PM
Who thinks that Milosh looks a little like Tsonga?

BrooklynNY
04-13-2011, 02:01 PM
In terms of the frequency of dunks and athleticism (coordination, grace, leaping, overall awesomeness :)) they are just not in the same ballpark. My favorite sampras smash is the first one in this vid:

This is also my favorite smash. That is just otherworldly. Aside from the fact that he was about 2.5 feet high, He jumped half the service box laterally. So Ferocious.

Sid_Vicious: I respect your view, I tend to try not to buy into commentators excessive compliments. Typically they tend to contradict themselves when the next 'thing/champion' comes along.

Sid_Vicious
04-13-2011, 02:03 PM
we all have our impressions about the running forehands, but I am surprised with the monfils and sampras slam dunk comparisons. I don't even know what it means to "always" jump higher? Sure if it was a pure jumping contest maybe, but I hope you are not implying that monfils always jumps higher on his slam dunks than sampras during matchplay. In any case in match play the sampras slam dunk is just a lot more interesting, that's why it gets more "hype". Nothing to do with underappreciating, over appreciating etc.

Sampras has slam dunks where during match play he is leaping and sometimes moving laterally and diagonally to the court and picking them off in mid air. If monfils tried some of these dunks, it's even odds he would either injure a spectator or injure himself. :) In terms of the frequency of dunks and athleticism (coordination, grace, leaping, overall awesomeness :)) they are just not in the same ballpark. My favorite sampras smash is the first one in this vid:

The point was that in the 90s everytime Pete showed of some speed by hitting a forehand on the run or hit a slam dunk people always went crazy about his crazy athleticism .Well, Monfils can run way faster than Sampras and can jump even higher, but nobody hypes him because he is not as good of a player as Sampras.

That is why every time Federer hits a huge forehand winner people go crazy about it, but when Ferrer does the same nobody cares.

rovex
04-13-2011, 02:06 PM
I've played with people who have practiced with Raonic, and they don't have good things to say about his personality. Apparently he's really cocky and a ******. I've never met him even though were the same age and ranked in Ontario.

Yeah, i've noticed that sort of mentality in the way he speaks. hard to believe he lets a coach manipulate him with that sort of character he has.

Pozarevacka
04-13-2011, 02:22 PM

Cool story man, too bad they are more than likely lying to trying to sound all big. Where are those guys now?

Pozarevacka
04-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Yeah, i've noticed that sort of mentality in the way he speaks. hard to believe he lets a coach manipulate him with that sort of character he has.

Coming from the guy with Verdasco as an avatar... :-?

rovex
04-13-2011, 02:25 PM
Coming from the guy with Verdasco as an avatar... :-?

soo predictable. you haven't got a clue about what i think of Verdasco's character so your point is moot.

gotta love people changing the subject time and again

cc0509
04-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Who thinks that Milosh looks a little like Tsonga?

Oh please no! Not at all in my opinion.

cc0509
04-13-2011, 06:19 PM
The 6'10" guy (I think it's Karlovic) is the one they should call a freak of nature monster. Personally, I think Del Potro with his long arms and reddish hair looks like a young orangutan.

LOLLL! He is not the best looking guy imo. Isner takes the cake though. He truly looks like a monster. Like Lurch on the Addams Family!

Shaolin
04-13-2011, 06:51 PM

No, they wouldn't. Raonic wears small shorts AND pulls them up way too high, like an old man, plus wears shirts that look like a child's size small. This is why Raonic looks weird, like his upper body is disporportional to his lower body. He's an awesome player though so that's all that matters.

Devilito
04-13-2011, 07:37 PM
No, they wouldn't. Raonic wears small shorts AND pulls them up way too high, like an old man, plus wears shirts that look like a child's size small. This is why Raonic looks weird, like his upper body is disporportional to his lower body. He's an awesome player though so that's all that matters.

How a clothing company has not approached him with a big contract and some custom tailored clothes by now is beyond me.

Pozarevacka
04-13-2011, 08:24 PM
soo predictable. you haven't got a clue about what i think of Verdasco's character so your point is moot.

gotta love people changing the subject time and again

Changing the subject? Umm I thought it was about ignorant commentators about Raonic... wait a minute.. I guess you DO fit into that!

stringertom
04-13-2011, 09:17 PM
How a clothing company has not approached him with a big contract and some custom tailored clothes by now is beyond me.

Last time I checked Babyface was styling the Crocodile label. Guess what? Their only shorts listed on T-W has a 7-inch inseam. Put that on a large frame and you're talking retro look back to the 80s. Maybe PKnight will see the inevitable marketibility for the best newcomer in recent years. He's already in Phil's shoes.

fed_rulz
04-13-2011, 10:16 PM
C'mon, lets be fair to Pete. In many aspects he was more spectacular than Federer/Nadal. He is one of the greatest to ever play this game. The whole point I was trying to make is that commentators have been hyping up players forever. Sure, commentators might go crazy when Federer hits the simplest forehand winner, but they did that in the past generations as well. I just felt that Devilito and BrookylnNY were just not giving a very balanced view about the issue. That is all.

3 guesses why :)

While I agree that Pete is one of the greatest to play... on faster surfaces .. , I don't remember commentators waxing eloquent on his style of play, as much as they do of a Federer or Nadal. In fact, his serve-fests at wimbledon were so boring, that watching paint dry was a better option. And I'm saying there is some merit to the extra "hype" that Fedal receive. There's a reason why one of the former greats (i forget who, might have been kramer) said "i don't know if Federer is greatest tennis player of all time, but he certainly plays the greatest tennis", and all this and even more well before he was on his way to smash Pete's records.

rovex
04-14-2011, 08:19 AM
Changing the subject? Umm I thought it was about ignorant commentators about Raonic... wait a minute.. I guess you DO fit into that!

What I said was in regards to Raonic, and a response to someone who was speaking of Raonic. You on the other hand bring in someone totally incongruous with the topic.

Keep it up.

Pozarevacka
04-14-2011, 09:12 AM
What I said was in regards to Raonic, and a response to someone who was speaking of Raonic. You on the other hand bring in someone totally incongruous with the topic.

Keep it up.

Umm

rovex
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_eko View Post

Bro. Come on. You're now a psychiatrist? His coach is Galo Blanco by the way, just trying to figure out how he is manipulated. Seems like the ignorant commentators are the ones posting here.

Dilettante
04-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Is this Pozarevacka a new troll? I can't catch up with all the new specimens.

rovex
04-14-2011, 09:35 AM
Umm

Bro. Come on. You're now a psychiatrist? His coach is Galo Blanco by the way, just trying to figure out how he is manipulated. Seems like the ignorant commentators are the ones posting here.

It's merely an observation of mine, in indian wells his coach said when Raonic was ****ed off losing a point he would quite if he persisted with that attitude, I personally find that manipulation of the highest order. Respect for coaches is important but that's excessive. At least you no longer bang on about me changing the subject like you previously said, because I called you out on it in the first place. And you accept I was right.

Pozarevacka
04-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Is this Pozarevacka a new troll? I can't catch up with all the new specimens.

Are you 12 years old? Using big boy words like "troll". What's next? "lol" "brb" "asl" ?

Pozarevacka
04-14-2011, 11:43 AM
It's merely an observation of mine, in indian wells his coach said when Raonic was ****ed off losing a point he would quite if he persisted with that attitude, I personally find that manipulation of the highest order. Respect for coaches is important but that's excessive. At least you no longer bang on about me changing the subject like you previously said, because I called you out on it in the first place. And you accept I was right.

I honestly cannot understand what you just wrote.

cc0509
04-14-2011, 02:51 PM

I thought I was the only one! :lol::lol::lol:

rovex
04-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Are you 12 years old? Using big boy words like "troll". What's next? "lol" "brb" "asl" ?

Completely wrong thing to say as you yourself in the previous post referred to 'bro'....

What, because i made 1 typo? :lol:

Don't act dumb.

JustBob
04-14-2011, 03:49 PM

There's a difference between being confident in your abilities, being driven to succeed and being "cocky and an as*****". I know a number of people who have worked/played with Raonic and I've met him personally twice. He might be fiery on the court, but he's extremely bright and one of the nicest kids you'll ever meet.

JustBob
04-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Here's an interesting article on Raonic:

Matthew Akman, a Toronto finance executive and accomplished tennis player, remembers when he first met current Canadian phenom Milos Raonic.

He had been asked to have a hit with the 13-year-old player and they met at the Toronto Lawn Tennis Club.

"Out came this already five-foot-10 string bean who had promise and not a lot more at the time," Akman recalled in a recent interview. "His game was still developing but what was already impressive was his enthusiasm and, even then, his unflappability. Despite the fact that he really couldn't play at my level yet, he certainly didn't show any lack of confidence."

Seven years later, they have become friends and Akman has spent hours on and off the court with Raonic.

"One of the things that struck me -- he would not only show up on time for practice, he was always early," Akman said. "I'd get to the club and he'd be sitting there at the front desk waiting nine times out of 10. He was there out of pure respect and consideration. That's part of who he is and his upbringing."

Akman, who played college tennis at Northwestern University in Evanston, Ill., and more recently won the 2008 Canadian over-40 title, claims not to have been "terribly surprised" by the success that has taken Raonic's world ranking from No. 156 to No. 35 this year. He explained that about two years ago during a training trip to Europe, Raonic told him he was winning sets in practice against then top-20 player Marin Cilic of Croatia.

But even before that there was evidence that Raonic, of Thornhill, Ont., had something special.

"I've played with most of the good kids who grew up in Ontario over the last 15 years," Akman said. "What differentiated Milos was that even when I was still beating him a lot when he was about 16, there were days when he'd play at a level where there was just nothing I could do.

"His shots were so big it didn't matter how well I played. That's what you look for in a player who has real high-level pro potential."

Akman can talk shop about Raonic's ability to hit backhand down-the-line winners from deep in the court and how it was an early sign of his talent. And also about Raonic's awesome serve, saying, "when you have to be prepared for the 145 mile per hour bomb, and it comes at 110 with topspin on it instead, it's that much more difficult to deal with."

But what most impresses Akman, who works for Macqaurie Capital in downtown Toronto, is the person.

"Milos is one of the brightest and most intelligent young men I've met, and the farthest thing you could imagine from a dumb jock. As a professional on Bay Street, we see the cream of the crop of young professionals in high finance. He could stand up to the best of those guys on sheer brainpower. That's one of the qualities that really differentiates him as a person, and as an athlete."

Looking back on his time with Raonic, now 20, he has a favourite story.

"We had this regular game on weekends and one Sunday morning we went out to practice when he was 16. I said, 'So what did you get up to last night?' I figured here's a pretty popular kid who's probably out chasing girls or drinking beer with the guys. He said, 'Oh, it was incredible. I went online and I found this video, it was (Pete) Sampras's all-time top-50 aces. And I was watching it."'

Akman still laughs about it.

"This is how he was spending his Saturday night. That was one of the times I said to myself, 'You know what, this kid's actually got the potential to really make it."'

With the clay-court season beginning in earnest with the Monte Carlo Masters on Sunday, he is optimistic about how Raonic -- who has been in Europe for more than a week training on red clay -- will fare.

"Milos has a very effective game for clay," Akman said. "He hits a heavy ball and his serve kicks up high. Having played with him on clay throughout his life, I can tell you personally that he is a very creative tennis player, which is a key element of success on clay. He's not just a basher. He has great spins and angles. So, I think he's going to surprise a lot of people."

Having recently been Raonic's player guest during the Masters 1000 event in Indian Wells, Calif., Akman had the chance to catch up after all his 2011 success.

"He's the same guy," Akman said. "He's still very much got his feet on the ground and seems to be having a lot of fun. He's comfortable with the environment and knows he belongs at that level with those other guys."

http://www.tsn.ca/tennis/story/?id=361386

stringertom
04-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Very informative article from a knowledgable source. The score today didn't show the competitive level. Rome not built in a day but the foundation is strong. Good luck to MR!

JeMar
04-14-2011, 04:50 PM

Maybe that's just it! Milos is new, Del Potro is not. Give it a year or two; once everyone's seen Milos play, they'll stop talking about that.