PDA

View Full Version : What makes professional hitting sound so good?

Pocky
04-13-2011, 05:32 AM
When I watch tennis live in person, the sound of the pros hitting is so nice.

I've seen people who hit some shots harder than them but it isn't as loud or thundery.

Is it the strings? Tension?

(Yes the other people do hit the sweet spot)

whoopinstick
04-13-2011, 06:01 AM
it is because they are usually at the bottom of a huge stadium which can distort or enhance the sound almost like an echo. it can also be the equipment that the broadcasters are using.

heftylefty
04-13-2011, 06:23 AM
That sound is made by pure awesomeness.

Pocky
04-13-2011, 06:27 AM
it is because they are usually at the bottom of a huge stadium which can distort or enhance the sound almost like an echo. it can also be the equipment that the broadcasters are using.

It was in a small practice court

Devilito
04-13-2011, 07:50 AM
it's the sound a heavy shot makes. Most amateurs that hit hard have to flatten out their shots to get similar speeds while pros hit hard and with a lot of spin. The combination gives that nice deep "thwack" sound

Pocky
04-14-2011, 07:38 PM
Wow I didn't realize that. Thanks so much

I guess it time to bulk up..

corners
04-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Pro swingspeeds are 20-30 mph faster than a good amateur. Combine that speed with a racquet with swingweight >350 and you've got a lot more energy going into that poor little ball. Ball pancakes on the strings and makes sickening splat sound.

Tyrus
04-14-2011, 07:52 PM
Head speed.

The amount pro/college level players use is FAR beyond the rec players.

and yes, it sounds AWESOME!!

magnut
04-14-2011, 08:24 PM
Its because they are that good.:)

Seriously though. Like what was said above....they hit though the ball. Amatures use the arm to generate spin and often hit late trying to control the shot primarily with the spin and power generated from the arm. Proffessionals use the legs. They get beneath the ball and drive though it giving both spin and power. They control the ball though looooong hitting zones (I call it drive time)which is obtained through body rotation, large muscle groups, and weight transfer keeping the ball on their racquet as long as possible.

This is why its important to understand fundamentals before trying to copy proffessionals. I speak from experience as I once asked the same question as you.....How do they hit it so hard and control it? The worst thing is once you spend hours and hours training your body to hit it incorrectly you have to spend even more time trying to fix it.

Once you get it figured out your shots will sound like that too.

Backhanded Compliment
04-14-2011, 08:43 PM
The bowl shape of the court does make a huge difference. Locally we have some courts in a big natural bowl next to some water resevoirs. We call them the thundercourts especially on flat shots.

Then there's the swing speed and mass thing. Plus one other thing, both pro players are consistently hitting such a heavy ball at each other so there is more force absorbed by the stringbed and ball... then additional force is added to redirect. Think of it as a head on collision. Your average good recreational players are are like two honda civics hitting each other at 20 mph. Good college players are semi trucks at 40 and the top 10-20 players in the world are like freight trains (never hit with one but judging from hitting with some qualifier types I can just tell that Rafa, Fed , Murray, Djoker are simply different animals... even their defense is rather aggressive).

All I know is whenever I hit with a 6.0+ player my ground strokes sound almost as loud as my flat serves do (love it btw). The big difference is a 6.0+ player gets to almost every shot and hits it back with inspiring depth and pace when they are trying to.

jwbarrientos
04-15-2011, 05:08 AM
They hit mostly of the times with the sweetspot, rather thatn framing the ball like I do.

mikeler
04-15-2011, 05:17 AM

Robert Kendrick was payed to come down and hang out at our annual club tournament a few years ago. He played on just a regular clay court (no stadium) and when he hit his serve it still had that incredible sound.

dominikk1985
04-15-2011, 05:28 AM
2 factors:

1. bigger impact
Not only the RHS but also the incoming ballspeed is much higher. that means there is much more force generated

2. more clean impact
the hit the ball always in th swetspot making the sound more clean

Very impressive sound at the pro level.
In baseball it's the same. if you listen to Bonds or pujols now hit the sound is extreme, even compared to other major leaguers.

stanton warrior
04-15-2011, 06:02 AM
Heavy raqcuets + very fast swing + clean hit

dominikk1985
04-15-2011, 06:07 AM
the incoming ballspeed definitely plays a big role.

the average top player groundstroke is around 65mph. if you hit that thing, even with the same RHS it's a much harder collision then if you rip away a 30mph rec player stroke.

and on top of that the RHS is much higher too.

Jake Speed
04-15-2011, 06:24 AM
they attach microphones to the tennis rackets i think

The microphone is in the balls!

JS #1

Back and better than ever!

CHOcobo
04-15-2011, 07:27 AM
higher tension with a heavy racket.

adizzy
04-15-2011, 08:17 AM
the pros who are hitting.

Tyrus
04-15-2011, 08:18 AM
higher tension with a heavy racket.

EHHHHHHHHHHH! (wrong buzzer)

Lots of pros string in the 40's and 50's.

Unless you play at 30lbs, higher is simply a state of mind.

Can we get much higher?

...so high...

OOH OOH OOOOH, OOOH OOH AHHWOOOOH

Dilettante
04-15-2011, 08:28 AM
They know how to put a lot more energy in their shots.

As said in this thread, it's not just the speed but the speed and the spin. Much more energy in every shot.

decades
04-15-2011, 08:30 AM
very good microphones on court.

Carolina Racquet
04-15-2011, 09:21 AM
I would suggest it's solid hitting, but probably most importantly, the microphones courtside that unfortunately picks up the shrieks and moans of women players.

CHOcobo
04-22-2011, 08:40 AM

Can we get much higher?

...so high...

i love the sound of my AG100 makes at 52lb, but it's too tight for me (maybe until i try ngut). somehow i just can't make that sound at low 40's with the same racket. same goes with my 60-ish lb M-fil 300, sound great. just can't reproduce it at 50 with the AG300.

Bhagi Katbamna
04-22-2011, 08:42 AM
Sounds good because of their racket swing speed, the strings, the timing, and the fact that they hit the sweetspot of the racket so consistantly.

Bhagi Katbamna
04-22-2011, 08:45 AM

I would suggest it's solid hitting, but probably most importantly, the microphones courtside that unfortunately picks up the shrieks and moans of women players.

It sounds really good on the practice courts without the microphones.

DownTheLine
04-22-2011, 08:47 AM

Can we get much higher?

...so high...

lots of pros string in the high 60s also

DjokerIsTheBest
04-22-2011, 09:27 AM
How much out in front of your body is the correct contact point to hit the ball? Seems like Fed's contact point is wayyyyyyy out in front.

NamRanger
04-22-2011, 09:54 AM
It sounds really good on the practice courts without the microphones.

Obviously but not quite as thunderous as it would be on a stadium court.

Netzroller
04-22-2011, 09:55 AM
How much out in front of your body is the correct contact point to hit the ball? Seems like Fed's contact point is wayyyyyyy out in front.
That's because he hits with a straight arm. If you hit with a double bend technique, it is not as far out.

Usually your upper body has to be orthogonal to the direction you're hitting. If you add that to the correct hitting arm position (laid back wrist etc.) you get your contact point naturally.

dominikk1985
04-22-2011, 10:48 AM

I don't know what this has to do with the topic but it's important that the elbow of the hitting arm is in front of the belly. if you have that the contact is about one foot in front of the body on a FH, a little more on a BH.

li0scc0
04-22-2011, 11:17 AM
lots of pros string in the high 60s also
.................................................. .....

Omega_7000
04-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Is this what you mean?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCgpX-9AcXM

mtommer
04-22-2011, 12:45 PM

Also, as others have pointed out, stadium design. Acoustics always play a factor. Case in point - when the juniors come to Kzoo for the Nats the play is always much louder at Stowe Stadium as opposed to Western's courts. Stowe is, well obviously a stadium, surrounded on three sides by dorms/buildings with one side consisting of pretty high retaining wall. Western's courts are all open air. Same kids, same balls but no *boom* at Western.:(

DjokerIsTheBest
04-22-2011, 12:48 PM
I don't know what this has to do with the topic but it's important that the elbow of the hitting arm is in front of the belly. if you have that the contact is about one foot in front of the body on a FH, a little more on a BH.

Well I figured contact point would have a big effect on the amount of spin you get on the ball, hence could affect the sound you get. Only 1 foot in front of the belly? I thought it was supposed to be a lot more than that. I feel one loses a lot of power with double bend technique because it's harder to incorporate the power that can be generated by the shoulder using a straightER arm.

DRII
04-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Its because they are that good.:)

Seriously though. Like what was said above....they hit though the ball. Amatures use the arm to generate spin and often hit late trying to control the shot primarily with the spin and power generated from the arm. Proffessionals use the legs. They get beneath the ball and drive though it giving both spin and power. They control the ball though looooong hitting zones (I call it drive time)which is obtained through body rotation, large muscle groups, and weight transfer keeping the ball on their racquet as long as possible.

This is why its important to understand fundamentals before trying to copy proffessionals. I speak from experience as I once asked the same question as you.....How do they hit it so hard and control it? The worst thing is once you spend hours and hours training your body to hit it incorrectly you have to spend even more time trying to fix it.

Once you get it figured out your shots will sound like that too.

Great explanation!

Pros produce much more torque than the typical club player by generating their axis of rotation further away from contact with the ball (at their legs and base of the hips) thereby creating more angular momentum, reactive centripetal force, and velocity ; along with that great sound!

Often times a 3.5 player will generate force only thru the arm or even wrists without even turning their shoulders sometimes, I just recently stopped doing this and have been beating 4.5 players ever since!

The change is actually quite subtle but still difficult to do constantly.

If you look at still frames of good players hitting, its easy to see their great rotation.

Even Fedaces image pic shows this.

Oh oh, if he reads this, he might get a little full of himself! Lol...

dominikk1985
04-22-2011, 02:31 PM
Well I figured contact point would have a big effect on the amount of spin you get on the ball, hence could affect the sound you get. Only 1 foot in front of the belly? I thought it was supposed to be a lot more than that. I feel one loses a lot of power with double bend technique because it's harder to incorporate the power that can be generated by the shoulder using a straightER arm.

maybe a little more, but I'd say at least one foot.

I measured it for me and it is about 40 centimeters in front of my body. so maybe 1 1/2 foot is better.

wouldn't go too far out though, since it can increase the chance of pulling off the ball. but definitely in front of the body and not at the side.

TheTruth
04-22-2011, 03:23 PM
I don't know, but it's one of the most beautiful sounds in the world, either in person, or on TV. That's why we can't hit mute and tune out the commentators, or we'd miss the sound of the ball.

moonpie
04-23-2011, 05:21 PM
I don't know, but it's one of the most beautiful sounds in the world, either in person, or on TV. That's why we can't hit mute and tune out the commentators, or we'd miss the sound of the ball.

Couldn't agree more. I can 1/2 mute my sound which usually allows me to hear the sound of the ball [and the men grunting] without the annoyance of the commentators.

bhallic24
04-24-2011, 08:03 AM
Pro swingspeeds are 20-30 mph faster than a good amateur. Combine that speed with a racquet with swingweight >350 and you've got a lot more energy going into that poor little ball. Ball pancakes on the strings and makes sickening splat sound.

man, dawg i love your description. beautiful. just beautiful. now i want some pancakes. maybe those pancakes will also help me up my swing speed. mmmmmmm.