PDA

View Full Version : Monte Carlo: Relevance & Scheduling Issues

stringertom
04-13-2011, 11:01 AM
I love the TV spectacle of the MS event on one of the most beautiful pieces of real estate in the world. In person, I would have to pinch myself if I ever luck out to go one day. My questions have to do with the schedule and the 25% absenteeism (out of top 32).

#1: I guess, due to limited court space, play starts on Sunday yet half of the top seeds don't get into action until Wednesday. That makes it necessary to play 5 straight days to final. The "tops" in the other draw-half gets the one match on Tuesday, sit a day and play Thursday through possibly Sunday. Which side do you think most players prefer and how hard is it to start the Euroclay with such a schedule? Are the other MS events' schedules stacked that severely?

#2. Eight of the top 32 plus Delpo are missing due to injury or scheduling choice. Is relevance watered down and which if any absentees do you see factoring through RG? Obviously, Djokovic will factor so please comment on the remainder.

Have at it L&G!

Kunohara
04-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Its relevance got watered down when it was made non mandatory.

Mustard
04-13-2011, 11:38 AM
Rather than having Monte Carlo non-mandatory, the ATP should give all the players the chance of skipping 1 of the masters tournaments every calendar year.

Moose Malloy
04-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Are the other MS events' schedules stacked that severely?

Yes. Majority of one week MS's have top players play last 5 days. and often its due to players requesting wednesday starts(esp at Cincinnati, which is played right after Canada, a finalist on Sunday understandably wouldn't want to play again on Tuesday)

I guess, due to limited court space, play starts on Sunday

No, the Sunday start is just a way to make more money, nothing to due with limited space. its a fairly recent thing. And its the only reason some top players got to play 2nd rounders on Tuesday this year, historically that round usually doesn't start until Wednesday. which makes sense, with the 1st round byes for top 16, you sorta need 2 days to play 1st rounders. its a best of 3 sets event, don't see players really caring much about starting Tuesday or Wednesday, esp since they've played that sort of schedule for so long(its pretty much the same in non ms one week events as well - playing 5 straight days to win an event is more common than not)

tkramer15
04-13-2011, 12:33 PM
I'm not sure exactly when the schedule changed, but I believe it was sometime in the early or mid 2000s that Monte Carlo started to be played just one week after the Miami final. That was not the case back in the 1990s. I'm pretty sure the schedule change occurred even before Monte Carlo was demoted to "non mandatory status", which is still odd to me considering Monte Carlo remains a Masters event.

Back in 1996 for example, Thomas Muster won both Estoril and Barcelona before going to Monte Carlo and winning. So there were at least two buildup weeks on clay before Monte Carlo, which makes a lot more sense. Obviously the ATP wanted to tweak the schedule and not have three Masters events virtually back to back to back so they moved Monte Carlo to the front of the clay lineup and made it non mandatory. In the spot on the calendar that Monte Carlo now occupies, no Americans will ever go over there and as we have seen, some notable European players are also skipping it. It's difficult to ask a player who, for instance, plays a lot in January-March and does well at both Indian Wells and Miami to immediately switch over to clay and play a big event. I think players are looking to build in a little recovery period of two-three weeks after Indian Wells and Miami and it just doesn't seem wise to tax themselves further by going to Monte Carlo when there are still five weeks of clay court events to prepare for Roland Garros.

timnz
04-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Monte Carlo has been one of those tournaments with a fantastic history. Every great player has played here. Even before the days of Tony Wilding (who was the record holder there before Nadal) it was considered one of the elite tournaments. I don't think its non-mandatory status has shrunk its stature.

bluescreen
04-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Rather than having Monte Carlo non-mandatory, the ATP should give all the players the chance of skipping 1 of the masters tournaments every calendar year.

Yes.

This makes sense. Most players just make up an injury when they don't wanna play a mandatory event anyway. At least this is a more honest way of going about it.

MAXXply
04-13-2011, 06:58 PM
Like the OP, Monte Carlo is a tourney I'd love to visit at least once in my tennis-loving lifetime. Issues of scheduling and relevance are unimportant. To me, it's all about the heritage and locale.
I half-expect to bump into characters from 60's TV's "The Persuaders" or a glamorous Euro-dowager.

stringertom
04-14-2011, 04:49 AM
Like the OP, Monte Carlo is a tourney I'd love to visit at least once in my tennis-loving lifetime. Issues of scheduling and relevance are unimportant. To me, it's all about the heritage and locale.
I half-expect to bump into characters from 60's TV's "The Persuaders" or a glamorous Euro-dowager.

Yes, we could have a new millenium remake of The Graduate in which the young American receives a trip to the south of France as his bounty for the baccalaureate. There he encounters a Madame Robinson and retire to a Ritz Carlton for their tryst after an afternoon of spectating at Court Central. Perhaps her jewelry mysteriously disappears and a retired cat burglar must clear his own name by solving the theft and nabbing the real perp (Lindsay Lohan). Gotta have Clooney reprise the Cary Grant role. Who's playing the kid and the Euro-dowager?

aldeayeah
04-14-2011, 05:06 AM
#1: I guess, due to limited court space, play starts on Sunday yet half of the top seeds don't get into action until Wednesday. That makes it necessary to play 5 straight days to final. The "tops" in the other draw-half gets the one match on Tuesday, sit a day and play Thursday through possibly Sunday. Which side do you think most players prefer and how hard is it to start the Euroclay with such a schedule? Are the other MS events' schedules stacked that severely?

Except IW and Miami, most MS are like that.

Heracles
04-14-2011, 05:30 AM
Monte Carlo is a great tournament.

The scheduling is similar to all MS except the Miami and IW duo.

MAXXply
04-14-2011, 06:20 AM
Gotta have Clooney reprise the Cary Grant role. Who's playing the kid and the Euro-dowager?

Any cute little munchkin will do but I insist on either Catherine Deneauve, Charlotte Rampling or Jacqueline Bissett... :)

obsessedtennisfandisorder
04-14-2011, 07:26 AM

But Mustard,that would mean some top players would miss Indian Wells
and Key Biscayne (thus preserving their careers)and that would be
unacceptable *cough*.
Of course it's ok for players to skip other events but not IW andKB *cough2*

of course it'sok forIW andKB to be two weeks *cough3*

stringertom
04-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Any cute little munchkin will do but I insist on either Catherine Deneauve, Charlotte Rampling or Jacqueline Bissett... :)

Saw CD on Late Late Show with CraigyFerg recently. Past her Mrs. Robinson stage. Likewise, JB played the MILF role to Rob Lowe 25 years ago. I'm thinking Penelope Cruz with a little aging cosmetics. Cate Blanchett, although Aussie, plays an English dowager-in-chief pretty well. As to the role of Benjamin, Dustin Hoffman was in his 30s when he busted out with that effort. Maybe TMcGuire could still pull it off.

Tennis sensation
04-14-2011, 11:35 AM

This is the best option.

obsessedtennisfandisorder
04-24-2011, 09:14 PM
I would change the ranking system.

all4 slams
best 6 msperformances
best 3 other

all calender problems solved.

Mainad
04-25-2011, 07:54 AM
Monte Carlo has been one of those tournaments with a fantastic history. Every great player has played here. Even before the days of Tony Wilding (who was the record holder there before Nadal) it was considered one of the elite tournaments. I don't think its non-mandatory status has shrunk its stature.

The record holder before Nadal wasn't Tony Wilding but Reggie Doherty who won 6 titles; 1897-1899 (back to back) and 1902-1904 (back to back). Tony Wilding won 5 titles; 1908 and 1911-1914 (back to back).