PDA

View Full Version : Releasing racquet on serve

eteo
06-22-2005, 08:26 PM
Hi, I have this problem where I loosen the grip slightly at the point of contact on serve. I try consciously to tighten the grip at this point but invariably fail. Has anyone encountered this before and any suggestions?

Thanks

enk
06-22-2005, 08:40 PM
As long as your racquet is not falling out of your hand or wobbly on impact, there is nothing wrong with keep your wrist loose.

eteo
06-22-2005, 11:12 PM
Hi, I think it is wobbly. One of the reasons I think I am not getting much power on serve. The grip seems to shift from continental to eastern.

nViATi
06-22-2005, 11:45 PM
try putting on an overgrip to make your grip a bit bigger

enk
06-22-2005, 11:59 PM
So your racquet is 'twisting' in your hand on impact.
This is really unusual.
I really don't see how this happen, can you elaborate more because most people grip too hard rather than too loose.
Is it because of sweaty hands, worn out grip, etc because it really doesn't take much to have a firm grip on your racquet.

eteo
06-23-2005, 12:48 AM
Hi, perhaps it is because I have a case of tennis elbow that hurts more when I pronate. I think I invariably loosen the grip on or close to impact. I will also try a bigger grip.

enk
06-23-2005, 01:16 AM
A bigger grip will probably be not help much in your case.

If elbow pain is the cause, I think you should really give it a good rest and let it heal.
Also, when it's not painful, do A LOT of stretches to regain maximum joint mobility.

Try these 2 for your elbow. (for right hand and assuming you are right handed):

1. Lift your right arm straight out till it's parallel to the floor with palm face DOWN.
Drop your wrist so that your palm face IN (face yourself).
Turn your arm so that fingers point to your RIGHT.
Hold for 10 seconds.

2. Lift your right arm straight out till it's parallel to the floor with palm face UP.
Reverse your wrist so that your palm face OUT
Hold for 10 seconds.

I learn these from my physiotherapist.

Anyway, hope you get well soon. ;)

andirez
06-23-2005, 04:00 AM
Hi, I think it is wobbly. One of the reasons I think I am not getting much power on serve. The grip seems to shift from continental to eastern.

I have the same thing happening, I start with a continental grip and most of the time end up with something in between continental and eastern forehand.

I always thought it twisted during contact, but after much analysis I found out that it happens before. When I am bringing my arm back and up, my grip is really loose and this is the moment where it happens. So now I pay attention not to shift grips and it really works out well.