PDA

View Full Version : Who pays for Hawkeye at the Clay Tournaments

leafscat
04-13-2011, 03:17 PM
While watching some of the Monte Carlo matches I found it interesting that the broadcast has the use of Hawkeye at their disposal. At other notable tournamants (eg Australian Open) it is claimed that the technology costs too much to have on more courts. Yet in tournaments (Clay) that don't use the technology for the over ruling of calls, the broadcast has the technology. Who is picking up the cost?

Fee
04-13-2011, 04:17 PM
If it's not available to the players on court, then the broadcaster is probably paying for it, just like ESPN used to do back when it was called Spot Shot. Which channel did you see it on?

tennisnj
04-14-2011, 11:59 AM
Tennis Channel has shown Hawkeye for its viewers.

Fee
04-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Tennis Channel is using a feed, but I have no clue who the original source is. Any ideas?

tennisnj
04-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Could it be Sport1: Channel? Not sure what specifically is however.

SuperDuy
04-14-2011, 02:29 PM
i saw it on sportnet one from canada

esgee48
04-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Don't balls leave marks on the clay when they land? Why would one need HawkEye if this happens? The lines person only need go out and check the mark to see if a ball is in or out.

ART ART
04-14-2011, 05:54 PM
While watching some of the Monte Carlo matches I found it interesting that the broadcast has the use of Hawkeye at their disposal. At other notable tournamants (eg Australian Open) it is claimed that the technology costs too much to have on more courts. Yet in tournaments (Clay) that don't use the technology for the over ruling of calls, the broadcast has the technology. Who is picking up the cost?

That's not the oficial Hawkeye system.

That's just a simulation used many times, many years in Tv.

:twisted:

dirtballer
04-15-2011, 03:47 AM
Don't balls leave marks on the clay when they land? Why would one need HawkEye if this happens? The lines person only need go out and check the mark to see if a ball is in or out.

There are multiple marks on a clay court. When two marks are close together, it is sometimes difficult to determine the correct mark. Additionally, whether a mark is actually touching a line or not is still a judgement call. You sometimes see players and umpires looking at the same mark and disagreeing if it's touching the line or not. Hawkeye eliminates those two problems. The question is do these problems happen frequently enough to justify the cost of Hawkeye.

glazkovss
04-15-2011, 06:41 AM
In the end we are the ones who pay for it (I mean ordinary people: TV audience, also the ones who wear Rolex or other sponsor's products).

cucio
04-15-2011, 07:35 AM
In the end we are the ones who pay for it (I mean ordinary people: TV audience, also the ones who wear Rolex or other sponsor's products).

Well, then, in the end, it is the ones who pay their salaries to ordinary people. Let's see how far can we carry this :)

Dilettante
04-15-2011, 08:24 AM
I guess it's paid by the TV channel which produces the original broadcasting image (I don't know which channel makes it in this case) and sell those images to other TV channels.