PDA

View Full Version : Ljubicic, not getting anywhere near enough credit !

Seany
04-14-2011, 03:37 AM
Seriously, OK the guy has some bad tournaments, but the way the dude manages to go on some sick runs, even winning a masters series last year, still beating the likes of Tsonga and Berdych, he's 32 years old, feel like he has been around forever, doesn't look like he moves as well as the rest, but his solid serve and groundies seem to do the job !

Go Ivan ! :)

stanton warrior
04-14-2011, 04:02 AM
He really is something...

Funny that some used him as a weak-era proof. He has beaten quite a few so called "new" and "strong" top10 players in the last year or so, with a level of play clearly lower than in 2005/06.

His problem always was his mental strength (lack thereof) and that he was a bit useless in the best-of-5 format, but he's a damn fine player anyway.

MrCLEAN
04-14-2011, 05:48 AM
Credit for what?

Just asking, but what's his best slam result?
Edit: Found it...
1 semifinal, 5 years ago, with a career losing record in grand slams. May be a nice guy, but not good enough to get a lot of credit for anything, sorry.

corners
04-14-2011, 05:59 AM
He's a very impressive dude. I saw him in Shanghai years ago when he suddenly become a top player in his late 20s. The man has a very strong will and is probably quite smart. His backhand is great, he hits his forehand like the women and serves smart. But yeah, his movement isn't so good, which should make it very difficult to have success in this era especially, but he can still beat the best.

Sandwichman
04-14-2011, 06:03 AM
Credit for what?

Just asking, but what's his best slam result?

He got to the semi's of the 06 FO before losing to Nadal, I think in four, but that was a long time ago so I don't really remember.

bluetrain4
04-14-2011, 06:31 AM
I don't really agree. TWers have praised Lubijic many times in the past as he goes on his runs. Television commentators often pay him credit by regarding him as a quality/dangerous opponent even when is ranking suggests otherwise.

Marius_Hancu
04-14-2011, 06:33 AM
great versatile player

bluescreen
04-14-2011, 06:46 AM
Ljubo is totally underrated, especially when you take into consideration all the hype players like gulbis, dimitrov, etc. get on this board.

He's a classic "late bloomer" success story hallmarked by his indian wells win last year. His 7-6, 7-6, 7-6 loss to federer at the indian wells final in '06 also showcased his abilities.

Rainalkar
04-14-2011, 06:50 AM
Ljubo has the best 1st serve since the 90's, without considering players whose height is such that it is a big factor in their serve, but that also limits them in other aspects of the game (Karlović, if any other). He was able to get prime Fed to successive breakers with the serve more than once. His 1hbh dtl is the best in the world by a big margin. Naturally, he has big flaws, otherwise he would be up there with Fed and Nadal: movement, forehand and volleys. But whoever thinks that Roddick or Fed has a better serve than Ljubičić should try watching curling instead, maybe thyey'll grasp it better.

Sentinel
04-14-2011, 08:41 AM
Didn't Lube go through a bad patch after changing his racket. Has he gone back to Head ??, i could not see clearly today.

jamesblakefan#1
04-14-2011, 08:47 AM
He's a good player, but he's screwed me over this year in SDL which I will never forgive him for. :twisted:

aphex
04-14-2011, 09:06 AM
Didn't Lube go through a bad patch after changing his racket. Has he gone back to Head ??, i could not see clearly today.

That's because lube only has razor sponsorships...

stringertom
04-14-2011, 11:57 AM
At 32 and without the wheels, he makes Fed seem the spring rooster! Mad props for MC start. If he can duplicate IW'10 result tomorrow, even more cheers for him! Always liked his game and was happy for him with DC win, something the aforementioned spring rooster does not have on his resume.