PDA

View Full Version : Andy Murray Impressive?

Semi-Pro
04-14-2011, 08:57 AM
Andy looks to be playing some good tennis, incidentally on the clay. I watched the match this morning against simon and his second round match against bug-radek and he's looked quite impressive actually. His forehand also looks better then ever, occasionally flattening it DTL and producing some great winners off both wings. Granted, if he does make it to the semis to face Nadal I think he'll lose but a SF is a good showing for his sub par clay prowess.

Thoughts?

Marius_Hancu
04-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Yes, and he might be one of the few ones able to process Nadal's balls, being tall and powerful. He did it before. Let's see it on clay. He needs to stay aggressive.

Semi-Pro
04-14-2011, 09:03 AM
Yes, and he might be one of the few ones able to process Nadal's balls, being tall and powerful. He did it before. Let's see it on clay. He needs to stay aggressive.

I agree. The match a couple years ago vs Nadal on clay was actually really competitive. Fun match to watch.

Mainad
04-14-2011, 09:18 AM
Andy looks to be playing some good tennis, incidentally on the clay. I watched the match this morning against simon and his second round match against bug-radek and he's looked quite impressive actually. His forehand also looks better then ever, occasionally flattening it DTL and producing some great winners off both wings. Granted, if he does make it to the semis to face Nadal I think he'll lose but a SF is a good showing for his sub par clay prowess.

Thoughts?

He's certainly playing with much more aggression and confidence again so it's looking like he's working his way back into form.If he keeps up the form,he has a great chance of making the semis and that will really boost his confidence for the rest of the clay court season.Can't really see him getting past Nadal but they did play a tight second set when they last met in the semis at MC two years ago.The only irritating habit which I'd hoped he would have shaken off by now is his failure to close out matches at the earliest opportunity (immediately conceding a service break at the start of the 2nd set and failing to serve it out at 5-1).Can't afford to let players like Rafa back in.If you have 'em by the throat,you don't release the pressure,you have to keep squeezing until they choke!

bezs
04-14-2011, 10:46 AM
Stepanek and a wobbling Simon not that impressive to me.

cknobman
04-14-2011, 10:46 AM
To early to tell.

Winning two matches in a row has not made him look "impressive". Heck Simon injured himself midway through the first set today so that may have had something to do with Murray's "easy" win.

rudester
04-14-2011, 10:50 AM
To early to tell.

Winning two matches in a row has not made him look "impressive". Heck Simon injured himself midway through the first set today so that may have had something to do with Murray's "easy" win.

Definitely too early to tell, even though he was beating Simon easily even before the injury.

decrepitude
04-14-2011, 10:50 AM
It wasn't "midway through the first set", it was when Murray was serving at set point for the first set. Granted Simon couldn't move well in the second set.

batz
04-14-2011, 10:51 AM
To early to tell.

Simon injured himself at 3-5 advantage Murray i.e. on set point.

batz
04-14-2011, 10:52 AM
It wasn't "midway through the first set", it was when Murray was serving at set point for the first set. Granted Simon couldn't move well in the second set.

Was it not Simon who was serving?

batz
04-14-2011, 10:57 AM
Everyone's beating Stepanek these days, even so I was relieved to see Murray get past the first round of a tournament for a change. Something has gotten him off-track, who knows - but if he doesn't wake up soon he will find himself headed toward triple-digit rankings.

Murray already has enough ranking points to guarantee a top 35 finish this year - so a triple digit ranking is not something that will be happening anytime soon.

cucio
04-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Second serve rather unimpressive, as usual. If he doesn't have a good first serving day to cling to his service games, he will be probably just some more Nadal roadkill.

PCXL-Fan
04-14-2011, 11:41 AM
Murray already has enough ranking points to guarantee a top 35 finish this year - so a triple digit ranking is not something that will be happening anytime soon.

I'm pretty sure its exaggeration, to make a point.

sdont
04-14-2011, 01:21 PM
Simon injured himself at 3-5 advantage Murray i.e. on set point.

Against Simon, it still could have been "midway through the first set". ;)

rodrigoamaral
04-14-2011, 03:55 PM
He's playing well but you have to remember that he is a top 5 player and these results should be happen, not be accidentally happening.

Feņa14
04-14-2011, 09:53 PM
He's looked good yeah, they said he's been practicing with Nadal which should be good for him.

Maybe the pressure being off with not many things expected of him on clay is also helping.

MarinaHighTennis
04-14-2011, 09:57 PM
I wouldn't say anything either except that he went back to his old form... from the times he could compete with Nadal, Federer, and Djokovic

Its like watching him play a few years ago

Carsomyr
04-14-2011, 10:10 PM
A good result for Andy if he makes the semis and doesn't get totally embarrassed by Nadal.

GOAT BAAH!!!
04-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Strategic tank by Murray in the Australian Open Final to prepare for his clay season dominance.

Djokolate
04-14-2011, 10:25 PM
Lol at the dropshot

Semi-Pro
04-15-2011, 07:14 AM
Comprehensive 2 & 1 victory.

Nadal next. Should be a great match.

Marius_Hancu
04-15-2011, 07:57 AM
certainly hope so ^^

Sentinel
04-15-2011, 08:08 AM
Strategic tank by Murray in the Australian Open Final to prepare for his clay season dominance.
The hard court slump leading up to clay was part of the long-term/extended strategy. ("sneaking up to beat Rafa in his own backyard") Shouting at his box was another trick to give everyone the false impression that he'd lost it.

YodaKnowsBest
04-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Andy Murray will win Wimbledon.

Murrayfan31
04-15-2011, 08:28 AM
Murray is a beast. Watch out Nadal. Big match tomorrow.

batz
04-15-2011, 09:08 AM

Has The King withdrawn or something?

Dgpsx7
04-15-2011, 09:25 AM
He looks much more aggressive in my opinion. I like what I see.
Watching some of his matches it almost looked like he was more aggressive on the clay then he has been on hard courts for a while.

Sreeram
04-15-2011, 09:54 AM
Andy is playing agressive first set and then 2nd set he is going back to counter punching. Definitely there is a spark here to reach his past glory. Good that he came back before it is too late. It would be wonderful if he beats Nadal tomorrow. If it happens then it will be the begining of Djko-Murray Era.
Honestly the lack of any expectation against Nadal on clay might be a very inspiring factor for Andy tomorrow.

sillymonkey
04-15-2011, 09:58 AM
I don't know...seems he's had an easy time of it. Plus the jerky overplayed dropshot bugs me.
He doesn't seem to mind that the crowd dislikes him.

Tennis sensation
04-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Nadal next. Should be a great match.

I hope so.

Glory Hunters Anonymous
04-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Murray is a beast. Watch out Nadal. Big match tomorrow.

Please list Murray's "beast" qualities.

Murray is the king of unrealized potential.

Pusher extraordinaire

Legendary choke artist

bolo
04-15-2011, 10:59 AM
Murray talking about practice :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/apr/15/andy-murray-rafael-nadal-monte-carlo

Sreeram
04-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Liking a players style is totally personal preference. I like the way Murray constructs the point, risk free and inteligent.
i hate to see players like Verdasco, Tsonga because I feel they play too much risky just hit or miss game. Murray does not need to worry about people who are fans of hit or miss games. There are people who absoutely love his game.
Murray is not a beast, he plays a game that requires extreme mental stability. It is not possible to have it all the time. Thats why he chokes in Grandslam finals. Another reason for his choking is just to prove us all that he has a human brain.

MixieP
04-15-2011, 11:10 AM

Muurya has practically won Wimbledon already. Now I'm thinking more like total domination for the rest of the season. I mean, to start with. Roland Garros...big, big favourite. Massive. The US O... maybe Supernova can push him to a five setter. Just maybe. The What The Fs... ya, that too, in the bag. Providing he stays healthy.

YodaKnowsBest
04-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Has The King withdrawn or something?

No, even the King won't be able to stop Murray.

Sentinel
04-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Laughing at your posts and your location :D

Best wishes to Murray for today. The score line looked good yesterday. I saw the first couple games then left.

batz
04-16-2011, 12:55 AM

Now I know you're kidding:)

Zildite
04-16-2011, 01:05 AM
Andy has a great chance for trolling today.
Only time will tell if his mediocre clay career record to date was just a setup for beating the most successful clay courter on tour by far at his most successful tournament - Monte Carlo.
The time is soon upon us, children :eek:

Marius_Hancu
04-16-2011, 07:06 AM

Confirmed today against Nadal in Monte Carlo

YodaKnowsBest
04-16-2011, 07:32 AM
Now I know you're kidding:)

Not really, Murray is the one I fear the most. If he keeps this agression then not even the King would stand a chance.

Semi-Pro
04-16-2011, 08:42 AM
Well well. That was some performance!

MixieP
04-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Well well. That was some performance!
And what will he achieve when he's not injured?

nicolaisidek
04-16-2011, 08:45 AM
IMO best match i've seen this year

Zildite
04-16-2011, 08:46 AM
What prevented him from playing anywhere near this level before (first 2 sets at least)?

batz
04-16-2011, 08:47 AM
Can't believe Murray took a set off Nadal on clay 6-2 at that:shock:

Does Murray now qualify as a decent clay courter?

Cesc Fabregas
04-16-2011, 08:55 AM
Not really, Murray is the one I fear the most. If he keeps this agression then not even the King would stand a chance.

Nadal and Federer are much better grass courters than Djokovic. Djokovic is behind Murray and Roddick in the grass court stakes aswell. You've turned into a joke since Djokovic won the Australian.

Sentinel
04-16-2011, 09:06 AM
Can't believe Murray took a set off Nadal on clay 6-2 at that:shock:

Does Murray now qualify as a decent clay courter?
I missed the match, not being televised on telly. Keep us updated on Murray's injury. Hope its not serious.

But still taking a set of Rafa on clay is epic :) Good sign for this year. Is he getting a coach signed up or not ??

Hitman
04-16-2011, 09:09 AM
I thought he played great against Nadal, especially in that third set, he was tactically spot on.

Kept the ball from the Nadal forehand, made him run around it, and exposed a lot of the court.

Didn't really expect him to win, but he sure did make it entertaining for me. At least until the third set started.

jaggy
04-16-2011, 09:10 AM
He has a great all round game but mentally is a basket case, thats more his issue.

Spider
04-16-2011, 09:10 AM
Murray's confidence is finally back. He was playing real poor tennis in the hard court season. However, at Monte Carlo, he has been on fire. He played a brilliant second set today where we constucted the points brilliantly and exploited Nadal's backhand. Tennis needs Murray in form, it is such a treat to watch.

I would put him as the third favorite at RG after Nadal and Djokovic. If one of them slips, Murray will be right there to win it this time.

Ash_Smith
04-16-2011, 09:12 AM
2 sets of excellent tennis, especially considering he might not have even come out. Looked like the injury caught up with him in the third and Rafa found his rhythm, but otherwise a great performance.

Cheers

Ash

MixieP
04-16-2011, 09:18 AM
Both Andy and Nole appear to have worked a strategy for beating Rafa. Hitting to his backhand and opening up the court, etc... Or maybe Rafa is beginning to suffer from the Roger syndrome: having achieved so much and won so many titles, how do you motivate yourself to go out and do it again? It's just another trophy and you already have a cabinet full of them.

Anyway, it looks like Andy and Nole will be battling it out for the top spot before long. It's good.

Semi-Pro
04-16-2011, 09:38 AM
What's really surprising is that Murray was actually playing with an injury to his elbow and wasn't even sure he if was going to play against Nadal today! As seen today he has the game to beat Nadal, even on clay.

batz
04-16-2011, 09:52 AM
What's really surprising is that Murray was actually playing with an injury to his elbow and wasn't even sure he if was going to play against Nadal today! As seen today he has the game to beat Nadal, even on clay.

Murray took a cortisone injection 25 minutes before stepping on court.

namelessone
04-16-2011, 09:54 AM

Actually that was seen in 2009, when both Nadal and Murray played at a higher level that today's mugfest, in MC where Murray pushed Nadal to a tiebreak.

ark_28
04-16-2011, 11:15 AM
Murray's confidence is finally back. He was playing real poor tennis in the hard court season. However, at Monte Carlo, he has been on fire. He played a brilliant second set today where we constucted the points brilliantly and exploited Nadal's backhand. Tennis needs Murray in form, it is such a treat to watch.

I would put him as the third favorite at RG after Nadal and Djokovic. If one of them slips, Murray will be right there to win it this time.

Not sure I go along with that, he played well in patches today, but was ultimately outclassed.

A lot of guys play very well on this surface it is just that Rafa is that much better! Sure Rafa does not often lose sets on Clay but look at the stats Rafa was terrible in the 2nd set hardly hit a winner.

Guys like Ferrer Monfils, Del Potro, to name a few can all on their day beat Murray on clay.

If he plays well he can poissibly replicate his best performance of the quarter finals but I dont see him going any further on this surface!

Mainad
04-16-2011, 11:35 AM
A lot of guys play very well on this surface it is just that Rafa is that much better! Sure Rafa does not often lose sets on Clay but look at the stats Rafa was terrible in the 2nd set hardly hit a winner.

Maybe Murray didn't let him hit any winners.You can't have it both ways.If Rafa lost the 2nd set because he was sub-par,then you can just as easily argue that Murray lost the 3rd set because HE was sub-par.Moreover Murray was playing with an injured elbow that began to kick in! Murray is still a work in progress on clay.To take a set from the clay court king in his favourite tournament means he has the potential to beat anybody else!

Guys like Ferrer Monfils, Del Potro, to name a few can all on their day beat Murray on clay.

And vice-versa.

If he plays well he can poissibly replicate his best performance of the quarter finals but I dont see him going any further on this surface!

Why on earth not?

bolo
04-16-2011, 02:04 PM
OMG. Murray made it to the SF of a CC tournament and took a set off nadal WITH A BROKEN ARM!. OMG. :)

Heracles
04-16-2011, 02:09 PM
It was more Nadal playing poor really.

Nadal was as bad as yesterday aginst Ljubicic but Murray was actually able to keep the ball on the court.

Nadal's forehand was off, bleeding errors from this side every time he wanted to hit a winner. He was not clutch at all, failing BP in the second set and being mentally affected by that.

Nadal had a 18/33 winners/UE, it is probably his worst of the year since the OA. I admit I am a bit worried for Nadal tomorrow.

Ferrer is MUCH better than Murray on clay and Nadal has only played well against Gasquet here this year.

OddJack
04-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Very impressive to me.

Actually, I am becoming a fan. After seeing his emotional side and the fact that he keeps trying. I am liking it.

pound cat
04-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Murray took a cortisone injection 25 minutes before stepping on court.

According to a post in TW match results by a poster whose father is a medical doctor cortisone does not take effect for 24 hours after the injection.

So...how bad is that elbow condition? He played with absolutely no signs of an injury for 2 sets today and was playing with fatigue in set 3 yet serving just fine.

Have these injuries been his excuse for his past poor results and insecurity about his game ? Hoprfuly some light will be cast on the elbow situation in his intervirew which will be available on the MC sight tomorrow.

pound cat
04-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Very impressive to me.

Actually, I am becoming a fan. After seeing his emotional side and the fact that he keeps trying. I am liking it.

His fanship would rise I'm sure if ge didnt loook like unkept and poorly dressed and didn't swear aall the time on the court. In other words looked and behaved like a professional tennis player instead of a derelict.

Mainad
04-16-2011, 03:27 PM
His fanship would rise I'm sure if ge didnt loook like unkept and poorly dressed and didn't swear aall the time on the court. In other words looked and behaved like a professional tennis player instead of a derelict.

His fanship is already quite impressive.As for appearance,I agree he could do with a hair cut (he has curly,wiry hair that just looks bushy and untidy when it grows out).I don't think his swearing is any worse or more noticeable than many other top players (except that many of them wisely choose to do it in Serbian or whatever).

Other than that,he is perfectly professional AFAIC!

Backhanded Compliment
04-16-2011, 04:02 PM
He's the underdog I tend to root for these days. I also like his ability to change things up, he's got touch and the ability to be unpredictable (both in a good and bad way).

Im still picking him for Wimby or the USO, just because it would be interesting not because there's any rational reason for it.

Semi-Pro
04-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Very impressive to me.

Same here. Andy seems to be growing on me...especially after this match.

gopokes
04-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Very impressive to me.

+1

I think today's match will give him a ton of confidence for the rest of the clay court season and beyond. I enjoyed the match today, except for feeling exasperated at how much time there where between points - especially for Rafa but even for Andy. I can understand it between a long and demanding point, but man...I've got a 30 second fast-forward feature on my DVR that I hit between points on Nadal's serve, and I seldom miss anything since he plays so slowly. I usually have a few seconds before he actually serves AFTER the 30 second fast forward. Andy also slowed it down because he was pretty gassed - who wouldn't be?

Sentinel
04-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Both Andy and Nole appear to have worked a strategy for beating Rafa. Hitting to his backhand and opening up the court, etc... Or maybe Rafa is beginning to suffer from the Roger syndrome: having achieved so much and won so many titles, how do you motivate yourself to go out and do it again? It's just another trophy and you already have a cabinet full of them.

Anyway, it looks like Andy and Nole will be battling it out for the top spot before long. It's good.
did you miss out a key word. "grind" ?

Sentinel
04-16-2011, 07:29 PM
According to a post in TW match results by a poster whose father is a medical doctor cortisone does not take effect for 24 hours after the injection.
Acco to some, Agassi had cort injections before playing, too.

p.s. my uncle is a medical doc, does that count ? Is this thing hereditary ? :D