PDA

View Full Version : djoko and serbian tennis

bjk
04-15-2011, 05:53 AM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703551304576260730198922892.html?m od=WSJ_hp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsFifth

Perrota asks why Serbia, with 3500 tennis players and about 440 courts, has better tennis players than the US, with 165000 juniors.

I think the real answer is Ivanisevic. His career lasted from 89-2001, which would have been the youth of Djokovic et al. He was Croatian but it was all one country at the time. Same with Borg and then the next generation of Swedes.

tenis1
04-15-2011, 05:58 AM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703551304576260730198922892.html?m od=WSJ_hp_MIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsFifth

Perrota asks why Serbia, with 3500 tennis players and about 440 courts, has better tennis players than the US, with 165000 juniors.

I think the real answer is Ivanisevic. His career lasted from 89-2001, which would have been the youth of Djokovic et al. He was Croatian but it was all one country at the time. Same with Borg and then the next generation of Swedes.

I don't think Ivanisevic had much influence over the tennis in Serbia. The country was already broken apart when he was making the most of success.
Ivanisevic for sure had influence on good generation of Croatian players (Ancic, Ljubicic, Karlovic, Cilic, ...), but in Serbia not so much.

I would say Monika Seles and her success had much more influence on Serbian tennis than Ivanisevic.

dominikk1985
04-15-2011, 06:06 AM
I think based on population croatia is even stronger than serbia in tennis.

Croatia is not even half as big and aside from novak they have a quite similar level.

serbia has 3 top 100 players just like croatia. the difference is novak:D.

But historically I would say croatia is better than serbia in tennis esp. considering population.

tenis1
04-15-2011, 06:15 AM

Croatia is not even half as big and aside from novak they have a quite similar level.

But historically I would say croatia is better than serbia in tennis esp. considering population.

Croatia had more solid players through history (Pilic, Franulovic, Majoli, Ivanisevic, ...), but Serbia has Seles and Djokovic. Quantity vs Quality.

If you count slams Serbia has 8 (Seles - 9th was while she was playing for USA) + 2 Djokovic + 1 Ivanovic = 11.
Croatia has 2 (Majoli and Ivanisevic).
Not counting doubles for Serbia where Zimonjic has 6 and Zivojinovic 1 and Croatia might have some as well, not sure.

dominikk1985
04-15-2011, 06:22 AM
Croatia had more solid players through history (Pilic, Franulovic, Majoli, Ivanisevic, ...), but Serbia has Seles and Djokovic. Quantity vs Quality.

If you count slams Serbia has 8 (Seles - 9th was while she was playing for USA) + 2 Djokovic + 1 Ivanovic = 11.
Croatia has 2 (Majoli and Ivanisevic).
Not counting doubles for Serbia where Zimonjic has 6 and Zivojinovic 1 and Croatia might have some as well, not sure.

I agree with that. Serbias top players where better but overall croatia had more good players.

I think the credit for croatian tennis belongs mostly to pilic. he did very much for croatian tennis.

tenis1
04-15-2011, 06:28 AM
I agree with that. Serbias top players where better but overall croatia had more good players.

I think the credit for croatian tennis belongs mostly to pilic. he did very much for croatian tennis.

I agree that Pilic had to do a lot with tennis sucess in Croatia. He also did a lot for Serbian tennis too (young Djokovic attending his academy in Germany, being advisory on the Serbian Davis Cup team, ...).

Marius_Hancu
04-15-2011, 06:29 AM

you don't know enough history
read about Pilic and Franulovic

Pozarevacka
04-15-2011, 09:54 AM

croatia is 4.5 million people, serbia is about 7 million.

YodaKnowsBest
04-15-2011, 10:08 AM
I would prefer one goat over a couple of one slam wonders.

dominikk1985
04-15-2011, 11:34 AM

totally unrelated post.

however I would not. one great player shows nothing about your tennis system. any country could produce one federer or nadal , but countries with a lot of good players are rare.

one great is rather coincidence than a sign of a great system.

Dilettante
04-15-2011, 12:07 PM
totally unrelated post.

however I would not. one great player shows nothing about your tennis system. any country could produce one federer or nadal , but countries with a lot of good players are rare.

one great is rather coincidence than a sign of a great system.

Quoted for truth.

MaiDee
04-15-2011, 06:40 PM

If it is about tennis generally, than there is Ana Ivanovic, and Jelena Jankovic too - on Serb side.
For sure, Croatia and Serbia doesn't have any system or help from tennis asosiation. It is about people.
Daniel Nestor, Andrea Petkovic, Milos Raonic, Bernard Tomic etc.
Few years before Serbia was the best Europe country in collective sports (L'equip). Now it is Spain, but still not better than Serbia and Croatia together.

Sentinel
04-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Well, there's Troicki too, the GOAT in waiting. And Tipsy who will reach his prime in 2014. That's 3 goats right there.:twisted: And how could I forget Marko and Djordje.

Cup8489
04-15-2011, 10:14 PM

Djokovic is great, but Ivanisevic had some serious game. Slam count shouldn't be the only determining factor.. Ivanisevic was definitely dangerous.

Gizo
04-16-2011, 12:18 AM
It's amazing how strong these Balkan countries, Serbia, Croatia and Slovenia have been and currently are in a wide range of sports, despite their small populations.

On a per capita basis, these are argubly the 3 strongest sporting nations in the world.

kalic
04-16-2011, 02:24 AM
It's amazing how strong these Balkan countries, Serbia, Croatia and Slovenia have been and currently are in a wide range of sports, despite their small populations.

On a per capita basis, these are argubly the 3 strongest sporting nations in the world.

...and that was one country (Yugoslavia) before 1990 !!!

ALL IN
04-16-2011, 04:45 PM

Very successful in the NBA as well

Gizo
04-17-2011, 08:34 AM
Very successful in the NBA as well

Yes Serbia have been strong in football, tennis, basketball, water polo, handball, volleyball and swimming.

Croatia have done well in most of these sports apart from volleyball I think, plus have had success in canoening and winter sports.

Slovenia have done well in most of these sports as well, especially for country with a population of just over 2 million people.

Very impressive sporting achievements for all 3 countries.

Manus Domini
04-17-2011, 09:06 AM
Tipsorovic looks like he's dancing in the pic of him lol

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/WK-AX485B_COVER_D_20110413175016.jpg