PDA

View Full Version : Using and Improving on Shots - how?

Indiantwist
06-23-2005, 05:25 AM
I am a 3.0-3.5+ (depends on the day and rater) and i win most of my matches so far. here is the issue.

I win mostly because i pick on opponents weakness. In practice i hit some good shots with good pace but never use them in match. In matches i mostly do pushing blocking and placement.

I determine what opponents weakeness is (eg:backhand) and almost direct all shots to that area. Most of the opponents whom i played so far get frustrated (especially if you add my weapon:Good Serve) and eventually throw away the match. I also use lots of LOBS and i also win because i tracl and retrieve a lot of their shots.

Off late, i started using some shots with measurable success. The question is how can i improve on them?. Should i keep going for shots even if iam loosing?

(i only learnt the right technique of a Topspin forehand a few days ago)

Geezer Guy
06-23-2005, 07:35 AM
... In matches i mostly do pushing blocking and placement. ...
This style of play will win you a lot of matches at the lower levels. If you want to win at higher levels, you'll need to develop more shots that will actually WIN you points, instead of just waiting for your opponent to make Unforced Errors.

As you transition from a defensive style to an offensive style, you WILL lose some matches. However, stick with it.

Indiantwist
06-23-2005, 07:46 AM
You are absolutely right. I win because iam doing nothing and waiting for opponent to make an error. I hate myself for not being able to win points myself.

I always felt that with the intangibles i got all i need is some shot making power to win points myself and games.

Win or loose, i will try to go for shots (whenever there is an oppurtunity to go for them) and see...it can only help my game in long run.

nViATi
06-23-2005, 08:32 AM
when you get the hang of topspin then you will be able to hit more winners