PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or does murray serve better to the ad court?

Clay lover
04-16-2011, 10:58 PM
This random thought popped up when I see Murray serving to Nadal on break point. He missed a majority of his first serves on deuce which gave Nadal the opporutnity to capitalize on his 2nd and get the break point, but then Murray comes up with a big first serve to the ad court to set up an easy point to bring it back to deuce. The same situation took place a dozen of times, resulting in the long service games which took place in the match.

I am just wondering if it is indeed possible for a right handed player to possess a better serve to the ad court, and if this is the case for Murray?

RCizzle65
04-16-2011, 11:36 PM
I didn't watch the match myself, but if you are under pressure, the good players can come up with the goods to get themselves out of trouble.

Laurie
04-17-2011, 10:55 AM
This random thought popped up when I see Murray serving to Nadal on break point. He missed a majority of his first serves on deuce which gave Nadal the opporutnity to capitalize on his 2nd and get the break point, but then Murray comes up with a big first serve to the ad court to set up an easy point to bring it back to deuce. The same situation took place a dozen of times, resulting in the long service games which took place in the match.

I am just wondering if it is indeed possible for a right handed player to possess a better serve to the ad court, and if this is the case for Murray?

I've noticed Federer also serves very well over the high part of the net to the backhand on the ad court. I've seen Murray play live a few times and he likes to do the same. A lot of top players these days feel more comfortable serving to the backhand on the ad court. One of the technical reasons for that is they stand further away from the centre line than players in the past, consequently, it's more difficult to swing the ball away from the returner with slice, so often they have to go out to the backhand side on big points.

Djokovic is one of the few players at the top who really works on his serve to the forehand in the ad court. That serve makes a big difference because the ad court is the decision court and you rellay want some unpredicatbility on that side to save break points and seal game points. If a player can develop a serve to the forehand on the ad court with slice making the returner really stretch, then that's when the ace count rises because the server can now embark on the guessing game. Raonic is one that comes to mind out of the new generation who's developing this talent.

As for Murray, I think it's vital he develops a more relaible first serve in big matches and looks to get about 65% first serves in, if he can serve with more spin for control at around 125 - 130 mph that would do him well. He often goes for big flat ones over 130 mph and misses, which puts too much pressure on his 2nd serves at the moment.

dominikk1985
04-17-2011, 10:58 AM
I think murray hits too many flat serves.

He has big power but always going for the ace is not the best thing for him.
he should raise his percentage by mixing in more slice and kick serves as first serve.

tennis_pro
04-17-2011, 12:10 PM
Murray's serve is really average now, I remember how he used to serve his way out of trouble in 2008-2009

NamRanger
04-17-2011, 01:01 PM
It's the other way around, Murray's deuce court serve is like 300x better. He is something like 30% on his ad court flat bombs for the most part.

Mainad
04-17-2011, 01:02 PM
Yes,his serve is good when its working...it's just not working well enough at the moment.Too many free point opportunities squandered because his first serve percentage remains frustratingly low.If he had got it to Djokovic levels,I think he would have won the first set and hence the match!

Dkoko turned his game around by learning how to serve again.His 1st service percentage has been averaging in the 80%s since the start of the year.Rafa's 1st serve is also a bit dodgy but he usually gets more points behind his 2nd serve than Murray does.

Practice,practice,practice your serve Andy and get those percentages up.It could mean the difference between going out to Rafa in 3 sets or beating him in 3!

single_handed_champion
04-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Don't know if this is true, but what I do know is that he tends to go for the flat serves on both sides on big points, and I guess since it is a slightly longer way to the sideline (when serving) on the Ad side as compared to the Deuce side, its easier to get more of them in??

Bobby Jr
04-17-2011, 07:03 PM
It's the other way around, Murray's deuce court serve is like 300x better. He is something like 30% on his ad court flat bombs for the most part.
This. ^

His ad court flat serve is just pitiful. And it is not for lack of trying - it's because he fundamentally does it wrong over and over. He throws the ball slightly too far left, and importantly doesn't get up into it enough nor is leaning into it enough: evidenced by the number of them which land half way up the net or 2m long - he's way off target too often. They're generally not even close. He's been doing it for so many years I wonder if he's even aware of why.

dmcb101
04-17-2011, 08:12 PM
I personally sever better on the AD side as a right, both first and second serves. I am not sure if it is just the angle or what but it just seems easier, any other righties feel the same way as I do?

ucr_tennis90
04-17-2011, 09:08 PM
I personally sever better on the AD side as a right, both first and second serves. I am not sure if it is just the angle or what but it just seems easier, any other righties feel the same way as I do?

i'm a righty and i serve better (and faster) flat serves to the ad court, better kick/topspin/slice serves to the deuce court.

okdude1992
04-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Gotta agree with NamRanger. Murray's serve is usually way more consistent on the deuce court than on the ad court.

Murray does win alot of points on the ad court against Nadal though. But from what I've seen it's usually not off the serve. When he serves down the T in the ad court, Nadal will almost always return up the middle. This lets Murry run around his backhand and dictate using his inside out forehand.

Wilander Fan
04-18-2011, 04:22 AM
I've noticed Federer also serves very well over the high part of the net to the backhand on the ad court. I've seen Murray play live a few times and he likes to do the same. A lot of top players these days feel more comfortable serving to the backhand on the ad court. One of the technical reasons for that is they stand further away from the centre line than players in the past, consequently, it's more difficult to swing the ball away from the returner with slice, so often they have to go out to the backhand side on big points.

Djokovic is one of the few players at the top who really works on his serve to the forehand in the ad court. That serve makes a big difference because the ad court is the decision court and you rellay want some unpredicatbility on that side to save break points and seal game points. If a player can develop a serve to the forehand on the ad court with slice making the returner really stretch, then that's when the ace count rises because the server can now embark on the guessing game. Raonic is one that comes to mind out of the new generation who's developing this talent.

As for Murray, I think it's vital he develops a more relaible first serve in big matches and looks to get about 65% first serves in, if he can serve with more spin for control at around 125 - 130 mph that would do him well. He often goes for big flat ones over 130 mph and misses, which puts too much pressure on his 2nd serves at the moment.

I think you see less people slicing down the middle (or even wide) now because the slower surfaces like clay and abrasive HCs really slow the ball down and makes the slice sit up. I saw this personally when my local court resurfaced to a sandy grindy HC and sliced shots simply shot up.

Most pros serve flat or kick it with topspin....you rarely see sliced serves unless on a slick surface since its just not effective on most surfaces. As an example of how different the game can be on slicker surfaces, see what Llodra did at the Paris Indoors last year to some of the best returners in the game with that wide slice. People knew it was coming and still could not adjust. On a regular HC, that wide slice sits up instead of skidding. Same with the slice up the middle, it doesnt move away from the returner like it used to.

Laurie
04-18-2011, 11:06 AM
I think you see less people slicing down the middle (or even wide) now because the slower surfaces like clay and abrasive HCs really slow the ball down and makes the slice sit up. I saw this personally when my local court resurfaced to a sandy grindy HC and sliced shots simply shot up.

Most pros serve flat or kick it with topspin....you rarely see sliced serves unless on a slick surface since its just not effective on most surfaces. As an example of how different the game can be on slicker surfaces, see what Llodra did at the Paris Indoors last year to some of the best returners in the game with that wide slice. People knew it was coming and still could not adjust. On a regular HC, that wide slice sits up instead of skidding. Same with the slice up the middle, it doesnt move away from the returner like it used to.

I agree with you actually. The best players were the ones who combined slice with topspin, I've heard it called "topslice" The ball is rising with kick at pace whilst breaking away, getting really high on the returner's forehand whilst stretching. So I was thinking of that kind of down the middle serve as opposed to a regulation slice which keeps low.

Laurie
04-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Just a couple of examples of what I meant. This ball was called out at 129mph but look how much action its got

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNgCas4Pw1M

And a classic topspin slice 2nd serve down the middle here which gets up high on Hewitt's forehand return.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKiXm5Cy7_I

I like Djokovic's down the middle delivery, he understands the importance of being able to hit all targets of the service box consistently, it can make the difference between winning and losing.

Scorch
04-19-2011, 06:26 AM
Top spin slice second serve???????????

Laurie
04-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Top spin slice second serve???????????

Indeed, Becker did it a lot, as well as Rafter. You throw the ball up to the left, then come over it with topspin but also adding slice as you are breaking the ball down the T, actually a common serve amongst very good servers. The video I put shows the technique.