PDA

View Full Version : I Need To Buy New Racquet That Plays Like My Old One...

gohim
04-23-2004, 11:11 PM
I played competitive tennis in high school and early in college in the early to mid 70s. Yeah, I am getting older.

I was a power and control player then, and I was very comfortable with the old Head Master aluminum racquets. Infact I still have a couple of new ones that have never been strung, and my the last few that I practiced and played with in the 70s.

It's been a long time since I have played, and I don;t like the look of the newer technology with the OS heads (although they were being introduced when I stopped playing, and I tried them, but didn't like them.

I kept my practice Head Master racquets strung with nylon, and my good racquets alway had VS Imperial Gut.

Along the way, I tried the Head Arthur Ashe Competition, the Head Professional, and the Head VIP. I didn't really care for any of them.

After long consideration, I figured out that I have a medium-short stroke. I developed enough power with the Head Master and the VS Imperial Gut when I was playing 2-3 hours a day to consistantly to put a brand new Wilson tennis balls through the chain link fence that surround most school tennis courts when I was serving.

I played with a lot of top spin, and had a tendency to bend or break racquets (not the strings) before I switch the the Head Master. I don't abuse my racquets, but eventually even the Head Masters will bend.

I would like to get back into playing on a regular basis, and maybe do some informal local tournaments down the road.

So what I would like to know is what current models from Head will play the most like my old Head Masters (feel and performance)when it was strung with VS Imperial Gut?

What synthetic strings should I use for my practice racquet/s, is there something that will play and where as well as the Gut that I used to use?

I know this was a long post, but I want to make sure that I am not dissapointed with whatever I decide to start with. I have been looking at Head Products, and am thinking about trying the Head I. Radical MP. The Liquid Metal series of racquets is out of my price range at this point.

So, what do you think?

Steve Huff
04-26-2004, 08:22 AM
I remember all those bent rackets. Especially the Head Pro's, whose head would, after time, start bending in one direction.

You really should try some of the mid rackets first. Something like the Prince NXGraphite mid, which is only 93 sq in. Yonex makes a 90 sq in head too, which might be worth trying. Also, Head has some less than 95 sq in head size rackets too.

If you don't mind getting off the beaten path a little, Cayman makes some very low-powered rackets. They might suit you well.

dantyem108
04-29-2004, 06:07 PM
Try the Pro Kennex wood core, I own one and LOVE it

perfmode
04-29-2004, 06:55 PM
LoL, this guy is old-school.

gohim
05-02-2004, 12:03 AM
Yeah, guilty as charged if you are saying that I use old equipment. I am comfortable using the equipment and skills that I have, to play the game. When I was younger, and played for serious, I won most of my matches without needing any gimmicks.

The player's physical skills and mental determination win the game, not the equipment. Developing the physical skill, and mental game you need to win the game will make you a dangerous competitor, regardless of the equipment you use.

You don't need a giant sweet spot on your racquet if you learn to play the game, and practice.

Personally I don't have much respect for for tennis players who use a OS racquet with a GIANT sweet spot to to be able to use the sweet spot on the racquet, or send a fast ball down the court that are too lazy to practice and develop the skills to play the game. Those people might as well sit on their rears at home, and play video games.

gohim
05-02-2004, 12:08 AM
dantyem108,

I stopped using wooden racquets when I was around 12 or 13 because I broke every one I tried within 2-3 months. I also hated the having to take care of them (warping).

All aluminum racquets lasted longer, but until I switched to the Head Master, I couldn't get them to last more than six months either.

Are you a power player?

Do you have problems with warping, or cracking, and do you have to keep your wood core racquets in a rack/frame, like we did with the old all wood racquets?

Robert Jones
06-21-2004, 08:45 PM
My brother plays with an old head raquet. Its bent too.

Try Sampras 85 sized wilson pro staff. Its heavy with a small head size for newer models. Yours is like 60 vs 85. It will play better.

mvictory5
07-23-2004, 08:10 PM
The vast majority of non-graphite racquets will bend over time when used by hard hitting players. You should just use racquetfinder.com to see which racquets have specs like what you think you want, then demo those racquets. Start off with 2 and then you can alter your desired specs from there.

Shane Reynolds
07-24-2004, 01:53 PM
Just because YOU don't like an Oversize racquet doesn't mean you should knock those who do. By your specs, most pros should be at home playing video games. You talk about developing skills through hard work but then say you've taken a good deal of time off from the game - were you just working on your physical conditioning all those years?

I know you would feel like you were cheating and all with the 93 sq in head, but you would probably like the Tour Diablo Mid. There are plenty for sale used in good shape.

07-26-2004, 09:47 AM
I would stick with the classic's. I recommend trying a few the others have stated. I think the pro kennex type c, 6.0 85, and prestige classic/lm mid, are good racquets to start from.

chipsdw
09-06-2004, 10:51 AM
I'd recommend that you demo a Ti. Radical.