PDA

View Full Version : Should Rafa skip Madrid/Rome in order to be well rested for Roland Garros?

CMM
04-18-2011, 06:49 AM
We already know he'll play Barcelona. If he wins, he will add 500 points and with the points that he gained from the two finals from IW and Miami, I think he could afford skipping one of these two Masters 1000. After all, Roland Garros should be the main focus.
What do you think?

cypher
04-18-2011, 06:55 AM
Of course not, obsessed female nadalete.

CMM
04-18-2011, 06:57 AM
Of course not, obsessed female nadalete.

I appreciate your opinion.

Cup8489
04-18-2011, 06:57 AM
He should skip Rome. Take a breather, get some practice in at Roland Garros. Alot is on the line at that tournament, less so at Rome.

SirGounder
04-18-2011, 06:59 AM
He should wait and see how his body feels. I saw he plays both because it's clay. He has a really good shot at winning.

dmt
04-18-2011, 06:59 AM
well he has gained points from indian wells/miami and if he gains points in barcelona, he can skip without losing much

rainingaces
04-18-2011, 07:02 AM
Clear I know but if he plays them all no way he plays Queens.

miyagi
04-18-2011, 07:03 AM
Yes he should.....but no doubt he wont listen and push himself to far!

He should be thinking about RG and Wimbledon stuff Barcelona!

cypher
04-18-2011, 07:03 AM
I appreciate your opinion.

You're welcome.

Mainad
04-18-2011, 07:04 AM
Madrid and Rome are mandatory tournaments.Unless he is clearly injured,won't there be additional penalties from the ATP if he decides to skip either or both?

If he'd wanted to conserve his energies he could have skipped Monte Carlo or Barcelona,both non-mandatory events.

Murrayfan31
04-18-2011, 07:05 AM
He should play them all. Queens included. :D

Mustard
04-18-2011, 07:06 AM
Clear I know but if he plays them all no way he plays Queens.

I think Queen's Club is important for him, because it helps him get used to grass after 2 months of clay-court tennis. I blame the scheduling fools who have put Madrid and Rome in consecutive weeks and are starting the French Open and Wimbledon as early as the 22nd May and the 20th June respectively.

CMM
04-18-2011, 07:12 AM
Madrid and Rome are mandatory tournaments.Unless he is clearly injured,won't there be additional penalties from the ATP if he decides to skip either or both?

Oh, please. Djokovic skipped Madrid last year because there was too much pollen in the air.
Since he already played 600 career matches, starting from next year he will be allowed to skip a Masters 1000 without any penalty.

If he'd wanted to conserve his energies he could have skipped Monte Carlo or Barcelona,both non-mandatory events.

Monte Carlo has always been special and he was chasing a record.
Barcelona is the only place where he can gain some points and he promised from a long time ago that he will play there. Besides, it's in Spain, so he feels more pressured to play.

rainingaces
04-18-2011, 07:14 AM
I think Queen's Club is important for him, because it helps him get used to grass after 2 months of clay-court tennis. I blame the scheduling fools who have put Madrid and Rome in consecutive weeks and are starting the French Open and Wimbledon as early as the 22nd May and the 20th June respectively.

He seems to adjust amazingly quickly to the grass, I mean green glay, usually plays great on it right from the get go. I don't know if he will play Queens, he likes to I know. He was upset when he had to pull out before a couple of years ago and apologised to the tourniment runners.
If he had won it last year would be a different story, he needs the clay tourniments like Barcelona to make more sure he can keep hold of his number 1 ranking.

rovex
04-18-2011, 07:26 AM
How can he skip a mandatory event without a legitimate injury?

CMM
04-18-2011, 07:27 AM
How can he skip a mandatory event without an injury?

:roll: .................

Cesc Fabregas
04-18-2011, 07:28 AM
We already know he'll play Barcelona. If he wins, he will add 500 points and with the points that he gained from the two finals from IW and Miami, I think he could afford skipping one of these two Masters 1000. After all, Roland Garros should be the main focus.
What do you think?

Skip Madrid. Barcelona and Rome play the most similar to RG.

Marius_Hancu
04-18-2011, 07:31 AM
well, this was his answer:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2011/04/15/Monte-Carlo-Wrap-Up-Nadal-Fine-With-His-Schedule.aspx

Pretty much: play all

CMM
04-18-2011, 07:36 AM
well, this was his answer:

Pretty much: play all

But he also said that winning everything on clay (like he did last year) is almost impossible.
So maybe he will lose early in one of these events.

rovex
04-18-2011, 07:48 AM
:roll: .................

What? I know roddick does this but for some reason he hasn't been fined as far as I know. Is he injured or not? I don't know that's why I asked.

And if he's not, why should he be let off the hook? If that were the case, Murray would do the same I'd imagine.

CMM
04-18-2011, 07:53 AM
What? I know roddick does this but for some reason he hasn't been fined as far as I know. Is he injured or not? I don't know that's why I asked.

If he already has more than 600 career matches, he can skip a Masters 1000 without getting any penalty.

nadalbestclass
04-18-2011, 08:10 AM
I think it would be a good idea to skip Rome. But it really depends on his results in Barca/Madrid. If he wins both Madrid and Barca(esp if his matches last as long as they did here) then he should either skip Rome or tank early.

BUT I know he won't do either. He cares wayy too much about YE rankings. Regardless of how how Novak/Fed are playing, he knows that after Wimbly it really an uphill battle. Djok/Fed/Murray have an advantage and opportunity to pick up lots of points.

kishnabe
04-18-2011, 08:31 AM
He should skip Rome and let Federer win it for once being denied by Nadal and that other spanish guy in 2002.

tenniswarrior
04-18-2011, 09:51 AM
After being so long behind Federer at number #2, I think he wants to stay #1 for a while.

Mustard
04-18-2011, 09:56 AM
He should skip Rome and let Federer win it for once being denied by Nadal and that other spanish guy in 2002.

2003, when Federer lost to Mantilla. 2002 was Agassi's win in the final over Haas.

TennisFan3
04-18-2011, 11:05 AM
This isn't new from Nadal is it? Nadal wouldn't be Nadal without his boneheaded scheduling.

I mean I root for Nadal, but sometimes it's hard to stand by him.

I thought the perfect wake-up call was losing in the 4th round of RG '09 and missing Wimbledon causing him to lose the #1, #2 ranking and effectively a year worth of slams. Later that year, as part of his gradual comeback, he was annihilated by Del Potro 2,2 and 2. That is probably the most embarrassing defeat at the pro level at the top.

After this, I would have bet my house at that time that Nadal would never never risk overplaying during pre-RG again because the cost was too high. And he proved that last year, by skipping Barcelona and taking it easy in Queens..

But now he's making the same mistake again. I hope he gets some sort of wake up call in one of these tournaments. It's ridiculous but maybe this will be the last year that he tries and run the clay gauntlet. He has nothing more to prove and he's not getting any younger. That his fitness is flagging is plain to see. There are younger, faster and FITTER players than him, not least Djokovic who quite clearly out-Nadal'ed Rafa in Miami.

Think of what Djokovic is doing. He won AO, skipped Rotterdam, won Dubai, skipped Serbia's opening DC tie, won IW & Miami, skipped Monte Carlo.

What did Nadal think? Did Djokovic get to his 24-match winning streak by playing without sacrifices and compromises?

Likewise, Federer skipped estoril and DC. He is also making the smart choices for RG and Wimbledon.

Djokovic said he has very HIGH AMBITIONS for the rest of the season, so he's skipping Monte Carlo so that he can give his very best at the big tournaments.

If that doesn't sound ominous, nothing else will.

Trust me...this Nadal attitude of :

"I can only add pts in Barcelona, so I must play"

and

" I am healthy right now, so why not"

This will sound like an epitaph in 2 months, expect this time it will be hard to sympathize with Nadal if he draws lame at the big events.

As I said before, the AO 2011 injury induced loss wasn't his first at the slam level, and it most certainly won't be his last.

tenis1
04-18-2011, 11:09 AM
As someone said Madrid and Rome are mandatory tournaments and can't be skipped just like that.

But if he skips one it would be Madrid. Nadal himself said many times that conditions in Madrid are quite different than in RG and complained why is Madrid the last tournament before RG.

OTOH Rome is quite similar to RG.

Because of that and many similar complaints Rome and Madrid switched dates.

MixieP
04-18-2011, 11:44 AM
If Rafa has any sense he should plan his schedule so that he avoids having to face Novak for as long as possible.

Semi-Pro
04-18-2011, 11:45 AM
This isn't new from Nadal is it? Nadal wouldn't be Nadal without his boneheaded scheduling.

I mean I root for Nadal, but sometimes it's hard to stand by him.

I thought the perfect wake-up call was losing in the 4th round of RG '09 and missing Wimbledon causing him to lose the #1, #2 ranking and effectively a year worth of slams. Later that year, as part of his gradual comeback, he was annihilated by Del Potro 2,2 and 2. That is probably the most embarrassing defeat at the pro level at the top.

After this, I would have bet my house at that time that Nadal would never never risk overplaying during pre-RG again because the cost was too high. And he proved that last year, by skipping Barcelona and taking it easy in Queens..

But now he's making the same mistake again. I hope he gets some sort of wake up call in one of these tournaments. It's ridiculous but maybe this will be the last year that he tries and run the clay gauntlet. He has nothing more to prove and he's not getting any younger. That his fitness is flagging is plain to see. There are younger, faster and FITTER players than him, not least Djokovic who quite clearly out-Nadal'ed Rafa in Miami.

Think of what Djokovic is doing. He won AO, skipped Rotterdam, won Dubai, skipped Serbia's opening DC tie, won IW & Miami, skipped Monte Carlo.

What did Nadal think? Did Djokovic get to his 24-match winning streak by playing without sacrifices and compromises?

Likewise, Federer skipped estoril and DC. He is also making the smart choices for RG and Wimbledon.

Djokovic said he has very HIGH AMBITIONS for the rest of the season, so he's skipping Monte Carlo so that he can give his very best at the big tournaments.

If that doesn't sound ominous, nothing else will.

Trust me...this Nadal attitude of :

"I can only add pts in Barcelona, so I must play"

and

" I am healthy right now, so why not"

This will sound like an epitaph in 2 months, expect this time it will be hard to sympathize with Nadal if he draws lame at the big events.

As I said before, the AO 2011 injury induced loss wasn't his first at the slam level, and it most certainly won't be his last.

Very well said.

CyBorg
04-18-2011, 11:51 AM

I might be wrong, but I believe that Nadal can skip one considering that he has played in Monte Carlo.

Bud
04-18-2011, 11:52 AM
He wouldn't skip a MS1000 tournament unless he was badly injured, IMO.

tenis1
04-18-2011, 11:57 AM
I might be wrong, but I believe that Nadal can skip one considering that he has played in Monte Carlo.

No.Playing MC has nothing to do with whether you can skip or not mandatory masters 1000.

The MC (even though 1000 level tournament) is not mandatory and counts as one of 4 500 level tournaments. So playing MC allows player to play one less ATP 500 tournament. That was the compromise between ATP who wanted to demote MC to ATP 500, like they did with Hamburg for example, and players and tournament itself who wanted to keep it as a ATP 1000 masters event.

tenniswarrior
04-18-2011, 11:59 AM
So it's like a Masters 1000 for noobs?

nadalbestclass
04-18-2011, 12:27 PM
Tennisfan3 being dramatic again. Since IW, I've only head doom talk for Rafa. I mean, COME ON! He's not a delicate flower, he's a freaking athlete.
Lets compare 2009 to 2011 As of April 18th

He had played,
Doha (3 matches, 6 sets)
AO (7 matches, 25sets, we all remember the last 2 matches)
Rotterdam (5 matches, 14 sets)
Davis Cup (2 matches, 6 sets)
IW (6 matches, 13 sets)
Miami (4 matches, 9 sets)
MC (5 matches, 11 sets)
Total:
32 matches
84 sets
16 top 20 opponents (4 outside top 100)
Time on court: 3671 mins or 61.2 hours (not including the DC matches)

Doha (4 matches, 9 sets)
AO(5 matches, 14sets)
DC(2 matches, 5 sets)
IW (6 matches, 14 sets)
Miami (6 matches, 14 sets)
MC (5 matches, 11 sets)
Total:
28 matches
67 sets played
9 top 20 players. (9 outside top 100)
Time on court: 2877 mins or 47.95 hours (not including the 2 DC matches)

2009 was VERY different from today. Add to that the fact that his knees were f***ed up. What good is sitting at home gonna do him? He's still gonna have to practice, might as well do it against pro players. This is not 2009 all over again. This is a different year, and Nadal is not physically injured he is a bit demoralized after how this year started, and the only way to get back into your groove and get your confidence back is to play matches. So yes in 2009 he should have rested, because he was physically hurt. There is no indication of that today.

gsharma
04-18-2011, 12:42 PM
As someone said Madrid and Rome are mandatory tournaments and can't be skipped just like that.

But if he skips one it would be Madrid. Nadal himself said many times that conditions in Madrid are quite different than in RG and complained why is Madrid the last tournament before RG.

OTOH Rome is quite similar to RG.

Because of that and many similar complaints Rome and Madrid switched dates.

I think Nadal will feign injury to skip Madrid. He has said that Madrid is not good preparation for FO.

mcr619619
04-18-2011, 09:18 PM
skip rome, he played a lot of matches in the 1st quarter of the season, and then he won monte carlo, i think he need a breather before RG...

welcome2petrkordaland
04-24-2011, 06:41 PM
I think he should skip or tank in Madrid. Like others have pointed out, his IW and Miami performances in 2011 were better and he gained 480 pts. Today he won Barcelona, which is another 500 (although pts. won't take effect until August). That's just about 1,000 pts, which equals one of the clay Masters. Since Madrid plays the least like RG, he should either skip it or tank it IMHO.

He's already made 2 critical scheduling mistakes in his career. Playing 4 clay tourneys BEFORE defending the first of 3 GS titles seems ludicrous.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems greedy to try to take 4 pre-French clay tournaments.

glazkovss
04-24-2011, 08:21 PM
The way he won Barcelona, he shouldn't skip anything. The only danger for him is to repeat Madrid'09 with Djokovic.

BreakPoint
04-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Maybe Nadal should skip Roland Garros to be well rested for Wimbledon? :shock:

srinrajesh
04-24-2011, 09:45 PM
It depends on how well Rafa feels he has prepared.. It is a ironic situation with Rafa. He needs to play lot of matches and win titles to be more confident but also needs to make sure he does not over exert and get tired.
He needs to ensure he wins most of the matches easily (be more agressive , going to the net)

One source of worry i have seen even though he has lost only one set in last 2 tourney is that he has not been clinical enough to put away his opponents after gaining lead-- messing up 2-0 lead in 2nd set agasnt Ferrer in barcelona to go down 2-4 . He has been losing his serve too often and his backhand has not been effective enough so far. If he improves in these two counts, i would support his decision to play 4 / 5 weeks on clay..

Bartelby
04-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Nadal loves clay so he plays everything he can during the season and then grass follows immediately. It's sensible of him to focus on this part of the season.

NADAL_GOT_THIS
04-24-2011, 10:06 PM
What do you think?

If he skips any of these tournaments he will end up being too worn out from training, because training is much harder than the matches he's playing. So I think he should complete the 5 clay events, he'll win them all and not exert himself as much as he would in training!1

CMM
04-25-2011, 12:42 AM
His official site (http://rafaelnadal.com/) has Rome listed as his next tournament, but they aren't very reliable.

They posted this http://rafaelnadal.com/content/vote-rafa-times-100-poll 3 days after the poll was closed. :-?

nadalbestclass
04-25-2011, 12:52 AM
His official site (http://rafaelnadal.com/) has Rome listed as his next tournament, but they aren't very reliable.

They posted this http://rafaelnadal.com/content/vote-rafa-times-100-poll 3 days after the poll was closed. :-?

Nah, on his FB today he indicated that as of right now he will be playing all. Let me be more specific.

He updated his status on fb and when he did he also commented on posts. One of the ppl told him in spanish, good luck in Madrid and RG. the guy left out Rome by mistake. So Rafa commented on his post going, "y Roma", "and Rome".

CMM
04-25-2011, 12:56 AM
Nah, on his FB today he indicated that as of right now he will be playing all.

Those who take care of the site are useless.

Cesc Fabregas
04-25-2011, 01:00 AM
He should skip Madrid, if he skips Rome he might be underprepared going into RG.

NADAL_GOT_THIS
04-25-2011, 01:01 AM
He should play them all because they are easier than his training sessions!1

nadalbestclass
04-25-2011, 01:11 AM
If he skips any of these tournaments he will end up being too worn out from training, because training is much harder than the matches he's playing. So I think he should complete the 5 clay events, he'll win them all and not exert himself as much as he would in training!1

Yes, but he has control over how long he trains. In actual tourney if he is feeling a lot of fatigue, he has to either tank or tough it out. Second option could be costly. I suspect, Nadal will be able to gauge his physical condition best. He seemed upbeat today. Despite all the running, he didn't look tired. So if he's feeling good and ready, then go for it!

NADAL_GOT_THIS
04-25-2011, 01:55 AM
Yes, but he has control over how long he trains. In actual tourney if he is feeling a lot of fatigue, he has to either tank or tough it out. Second option could be costly. I suspect, Nadal will be able to gauge his physical condition best. He seemed upbeat today. Despite all the running, he didn't look tired. So if he's feeling good and ready, then go for it!

Definitely I don't even agree with this thread being made, there is no doubt, Nadal is not worn out after one of the easiest weeks of his career at Barcelona and easy final compared to most others he's had!1

vive le beau jeu !
04-25-2011, 02:03 AM
What do you think?
where's the "should skip any tournament from now on until the end of times" option ?

mandy01
04-25-2011, 04:25 AM
where's the "should skip any tournament from now on until the end of times" option ?

LOL!
BTW if you can,tell Sani I said 'hi' :) and let her know that she's still a wannabe troll :cool: