PDA

View Full Version : Do any Players do This?

tenniswarrior
04-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Hello;

I was wondering if any tennis players really care about the outcome of flipping the coin before the match. I'm guessing some players like Karlovic might like to always serve first, for example.

In fact, the chance of getting a head if the coin starts on a head is 51/100 - in other words, if they choose whatever face the coin is currently on (facing up), they have a 51/100 chance of it being that face when it lands.

Do you think any players do this? I am thinking of writing to Federer about this to give him an advantage in his future matches. :)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40343000/jpg/_40343253_coin_toss_pa300x200.jpg

tenniswarrior
04-18-2011, 11:18 AM
I posted it on Soderling's site ages ago, I wonder if he's using it. Hopefully he can beat Nadal at Roland Garros this way. :)

pound cat
04-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Don't bother writing to Federer. Just stick around this board and you`ll learn the answer.

One advantage to having the call from a coin flip is that It puts you ahead from the outset if you win the first game...good if you like being a front runner. It also gives him a chance to feel out the other man`s serve.

Some players lke the other guy to serve because they feel he might be nervous and lose his serve right away or it gives you a chance to see his patterns of play.

But a players should not depend on the flip to begin his game. Heads or tales should not make any real difference to him.