PDA

View Full Version : Nadal Peaking

The Baseline
04-18-2011, 02:49 PM
Im just amazed at Nadal beyond belief. Just look at how humble he is, win after win after win. Its just amazing to see a player be that passionate on court and be as humble as he is. Nadal seems to be peaking at the right time, for the French Open. Nadal has really inspired everyone that he will one day ultimately pass the great Federer. Its amazing to see Nadal navigate his way through these clay events and show no signs of fatigue. Especially against David Ferrer in the final. Nadal was a bully out there, throwing everything back that Ferrer was launching. Nadal's angles are really creating havoc and wearing opponents down in the second set. Nadals fundamentals and court strategy are at an all time high right now. Nadal is thinking and spreading the court out as far as possible this year. look what he did to federer, he was throwing darts at the corners and had Federer stunned. Its just amazing to see Nadal's form right now. I think every sports fan should watch Nadal in top form right now, because of the mystique and one of the greatest athletes of all time firing on all cylinders.

Cup8489
04-18-2011, 03:13 PM
i must have watched a different final. The second set was more competitve than the first ???? and Nadal was, overall, not terribly impressive here in Monte Carlo. Nads from 2010 MC would smoke Nads from 2011 MC.

ucr_tennis90
04-18-2011, 03:36 PM
that was a B- nadal at best. but that's still enough to beat most other players on clay. if he plays like that at RG, he isn't winning it.

cc0509
04-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Im just amazed at Nadal beyond belief. Just look at how humble he is, win after win after win. Its just amazing to see a player be that passionate on court and be as humble as he is. Nadal seems to be peaking at the right time, for the French Open. Nadal has really inspired everyone that he will one day ultimately pass the great Federer. Its amazing to see Nadal navigate his way through these clay events and show no signs of fatigue. Especially against David Ferrer in the final. Nadal was a bully out there, throwing everything back that Ferrer was launching. Nadal's angles are really creating havoc and wearing opponents down in the second set. Nadals fundamentals and court strategy are at an all time high right now. Nadal is thinking and spreading the court out as far as possible this year. look what he did to federer, he was throwing darts at the corners and had Federer stunned. Its just amazing to see Nadal's form right now. I think every sports fan should watch Nadal in top form right now, because of the mystique and one of the greatest athletes of all time firing on all cylinders.

Huh? Shows no signs of fatigue? Nadal has said himself in a bunch of interviews that he was very tired and that he did not play his best during the MC tournament. Aside from that he looked like he was going to die when he played Djokovic in the Miami final. He was hunched over and trying to catch his breath.

I think Nadal is so good on clay that he was still able to pull the win out for the MC tournament. That, and the fact that Murray was injured and did not appear to perform at the same level during the 3rd set of the SF, but to say Nadal was in his best form ever or peak form during MC, I did not see that myself.

kishnabe
04-18-2011, 04:27 PM
That was Nadal C Game and it was Ferrer C Game too. Soo many UE and breaks of serve that was of WTA standards. As far I say we haven't seen his best.....if you have seen FO 08, MC2010, and Rome 06....which were his best clay tourneys....there is more to come. Then again he might screw himself over by lot allowing himself to peak at the right time because of the hefty schedule.

Why does the world number one ranking matter when Slams are at stake.

BigForehand
04-18-2011, 04:28 PM
Kid its really easy to be humble when you are winning... Have you seen ****** against Berdych 5 months ago in London?

Yeah that was very humble of him. Or at Wimby last year when he took a time out when Petzner was serving out the match? Yeah very sportsmanlike and humble.

You got a turd in your eyes. Clean them out.

The Baseline
04-19-2011, 05:33 PM
i must have watched a different final. The second set was more competitve than the first ???? and Nadal was, overall, not terribly impressive here in Monte Carlo. Nads from 2010 MC would smoke Nads from 2011 MC.

its not like he won the tournament or anything!!!!!! See, people here always mistake the level nadal is playing on at a given moment in time. But no one really knows how to disect nadals game fully. After watching federer play nadal, it was the best ive ever seen nadal. nadal was firing with pace at will, and hitting extreme angles and using spin to push federer off of the court and shove him aside. Nadal';s fitness level is at a high point, as he is dictating cross court shots, and is also countering against pace with slice shots to set up the point. Nadals strategy is the best in his illustrious career at this point in time. Nadal deserves more respect.

mcr619619
04-19-2011, 06:33 PM
he's not humble i think...it's you know...need to be that, but inside...:twisted:

Al Czervik
04-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Agree that he is only on his B-C game lately and probably has two more years of peak.

He is a great guy...off the court.

He is a total ******bag on the court who requires everyone to put up with his OCD idiosyncracies and tendencies, yet the opponent is the bad guy if he points out any of this or is perturbed. Not to mention, he is injured in 90% of his losses and is a lot less humble when he loses, etc, etc.

ananda
04-19-2011, 08:31 PM
Im just amazed at Nadal beyond belief. Just look at how humble he is, win after win after win. Its just amazing to see a player be that passionate on court and be as humble as he is. .

So Nadal is peaking in humility ??? :):)

MichaelNadal
04-19-2011, 08:37 PM
So Nadal is peaking in humility ??? :):)

That must be it lol, bc it's not in current form lol.

Cup8489
04-19-2011, 08:39 PM
its not like he won the tournament or anything!!!!!! See, people here always mistake the level nadal is playing on at a given moment in time. But no one really knows how to disect nadals game fully. After watching federer play nadal, it was the best ive ever seen nadal. nadal was firing with pace at will, and hitting extreme angles and using spin to push federer off of the court and shove him aside. Nadal';s fitness level is at a high point, as he is dictating cross court shots, and is also countering against pace with slice shots to set up the point. Nadals strategy is the best in his illustrious career at this point in time. Nadal deserves more respect.

again, what federer match are you referring to. french open finals 2008? surely not the miami match, where Federer lost because he fell into a sea of unforced errors..

You're not dissecting Nadal's game well. He won MC, but he did not play well by any stretch of the imagination.

TennisandMusic
04-19-2011, 08:44 PM
Kid its really easy to be humble when you are winning... Have you seen ****** against Berdych 5 months ago in London?

Yeah that was very humble of him. Or at Wimby last year when he took a time out when Petzner was serving out the match? Yeah very sportsmanlike and humble.

You got a turd in your eyes. Clean them out.

This never happened :lol:

Bud
04-19-2011, 08:53 PM
This never happened :lol:

Let him live in delusion :)

fednad
04-19-2011, 08:58 PM
NAdsy Boy is the biggest trick pony and gamesman on ATP.
Some people need to get their head out of his rear to be able to see it.
As one poster clearly mentions it, his humility is gone for a toss and real character comes out when he is losing.
Remember the Petzchner match?

TennisandMusic
04-19-2011, 09:01 PM
NAdsy Boy is the biggest trick pony and gamesman on ATP.
Some people need to get their head out of his rear to be able to see it.
As one poster clearly mentions it, his humility is gone for a toss and real character comes out when he is losing.
Remember the Petzchner match?

More of this? lol. Ok do tell us what was so bad. He got a little rubdown at the beginning of the fourth set or something on a changeover? Oh man! Stop the presses!

I think some of you people are certifiably insane.

MichaelNadal
04-19-2011, 09:03 PM
More of this? lol. Ok do tell us what was so bad. He got a little rubdown at the beginning of the fourth set or something on a changeover? Oh man! Stop the presses!

Lol, and who the hell lets a medical timeout change their gameplan anyway? If it distracts them that much they DON'T need to win.

TennisandMusic
04-19-2011, 09:05 PM
Lol, and who the hell lets a medical timeout change their gameplan anyway? If it distracts them that much they DON'T need to win.

Yeah no kidding. It's really crazy. Some people are just so blinded by hatred they refuse to see reality and just believe what they want to believe. Can't really change any minds here.

You know what I would do if someone took a medical timeout? Bust out a book, kick back, and start reading.

ananda
04-19-2011, 10:50 PM
again, what federer match are you referring to. french open finals 2008? surely not the miami match, where Federer lost because he fell into a sea of unforced errors..

LOL !!!
Also funny sig there !!!

TennisFan3
04-19-2011, 11:19 PM
Is the OP serious? Nadal peaking really?

Both Nadal of 2008 and Nadal of 2010 would have breadsticked the current Nadal. I posted this in another thread:

Nadal just isn't playing well this year. He got beat by a sub-par Djoker twice on hardcourts. His clay performance should have been great (given his improvements as an all round player), but it has been SHOCKINGLY bad.

Nadal made 30+ UFEs in the Ferrer match, and hit 2 forehand winners in 3.25 sets (2 hrs 15 minutes of tennis) against Murray. I've never EVER seen such kind of stats from Nadal. Think of that, and compare it to say Wimb 2010, where Nadal had 2 UFEs (yes two) in a set and a half against Murray and Soderling.

The MC SF and final, are without doubt among the worst clay winning matches in Nadal's career. Furthermore, 2011 MC is most likely the worst Monte Carlo he's played among the last 6 he's won.

What is worse is that Nadal is overplaying. His career management has gone worse compared to last year. Nadal skipped Barcelona last year: he won RG and all the Masters for a perfect clay season.

Before 2010, Nadal has played Barcelona 5 times, and EVERY time he's not been 100% all through the clay season because of it. 2007 he lost Hamburg after overplaying in Barcelona. In 2008, playing Barcelona led to blisters and an early exit at Rome. In 2005, 2006 he withdrew from Hamburg, again because of playing Barcelona. And then of course 2009, the most disastrous, eventually cost Nadal the F.O, the #1, #2 ranking (effectively a year worth of slams).

Nadal is being chased by rivals who are younger, fitter and entering their prime. Especially Djoker, and very soon Del Potro and Murray.

The problem is Nadal's form is sub-par, he looks exhausted mentally and physically. He needs a break, but is under pressure and just trying to play as much as he can to hold on to the #1 ranking. This is an ill-advised strategy, and smacks more of desperation than prudence.

The only way Nadal will keep Djokovic at bay is by playing well, not by picking up an extra few hundred points on his own. After all, without a doubt, Djokovic will just gain points by making deep runs, and Nadal cannot stop him since they are in opposite halves of the draw.

So IMO we might be seeing the inexorable decline of Nadal rather than the peak.
He needs a wakeup call, which will possible come in the middle of the season once he fails to defend a slam and loses the #1 to Djokovic.. He might well regroup then, but right now it hardly looks like a peak..

MichaelNadal
04-19-2011, 11:38 PM
Is the OP serious? Nadal peaking really?

Both Nadal of 2008 and Nadal of 2010 would have breadsticked the current Nadal. I posted this in another thread:

Nadal just isn't playing well this year. He got beat by a sub-par Djoker twice on hardcourts. His clay performance should have been great (given his improvements as an all round player), but it has been SHOCKINGLY bad.

Nadal made 30+ UFEs in the Ferrer match, and hit 2 forehand winners in 3.25 sets (2 hrs 15 minutes of tennis) against Murray. I've never EVER seen such kind of stats from Nadal. Think of that, and compare it to say Wimb 2010, where Nadal had 2 UFEs (yes two) in a set and a half against Murray and Soderling.

The MC SF and final, are without doubt among the worst clay winning matches in Nadal's career. Furthermore, 2011 MC is most likely the worst Monte Carlo he's played among the last 6 he's won.

What is worse is that Nadal is overplaying. His career management has gone worse compared to last year. Nadal skipped Barcelona last year: he won RG and all the Masters for a perfect clay season.

Before 2010, Nadal has played Barcelona 5 times, and EVERY time he's not been 100% all through the clay season because of it. 2007 he lost Hamburg after overplaying in Barcelona. In 2008, playing Barcelona led to blisters and an early exit at Rome. In 2005, 2006 he withdrew from Hamburg, again because of playing Barcelona. And then of course 2009, the most disastrous, eventually cost Nadal the F.O, the #1, #2 ranking (effectively a year worth of slams).

Nadal is being chased by rivals who are younger, fitter and entering their prime. Especially Djoker, and very soon Del Potro and Murray.

The problem is Nadal's form is sub-par, he looks exhausted mentally and physically. He needs a break, but is under pressure and just trying to play as much as he can to hold on to the #1 ranking. This is an ill-advised strategy, and smacks more of desperation than prudence.

The only way Nadal will keep Djokovic at bay is by playing well, not by picking up an extra few hundred points on his own. After all, without a doubt, Djokovic will just gain points by making deep runs, and Nadal cannot stop him since they are in opposite halves of the draw.

So IMO we might be seeing the inexorable decline of Nadal rather than the peak.
He needs a wakeup call, which will possible come in the middle of the season once he fails to defend a slam and loses the #1 to Djokovic.. He might well regroup then, but right now it hardly looks like a peak..

And this is the cold hard truth even though I hate to admit it. He REALLY needs to skip Barcelona and sit on the couch all week, he is obviously exhausted and not playing well.

TennisFan3
04-20-2011, 12:20 AM
And this is the cold hard truth even though I hate to admit it. He REALLY needs to skip Barcelona and sit on the couch all week, he is obviously exhausted and not playing well.

True. As I pointed out in my post, there is "solid" history worth 7 years, that NOTHING GOOD ever came out from Nadal playing Barcelona.

Look at Djokovic's planning:

He won AO, sklpped Rotterdam.
Won Dubai, skipped DC.
Won IW and Miami, skipped Monte Carlo.

That's why he's on a winning streak of 26 matches. It will go to 30 when Belgrade open ends. Then he will be atleast 34 or 35 (if he wins) in Madrid. Quite possibly it could be 39/40 by the end of Rome (assuming he wins Madrid).

What did Nadal think that Djokovic reached this position, without making any sacrifices?

MixieP
04-20-2011, 12:47 AM
Congratulations, The Baseline.
Your ability to speak crooked words with a straight face is truly inspirational. Thank you.

miyagi
04-20-2011, 03:16 AM
I think it would be prudent for Nadal to skip Barcelona however he knows he and his team know his body and condition much better than us arm chair critics.

I personally think he didnt play to his normal high standard at MC however he is determined and I believe he will continue to improve, if he does then that doesnt bode well for the rest of the field.

The fact is he won and that is the ultimate goal and like he says it's important to win when you're NOT playing your best.

Those suggesting that he should follow someone elses example are Naive the fact is what works for Djoko / Fed / Murray wont necessarily work for him, the truth is Nadal knows best!

cocolate
04-20-2011, 04:21 AM
I think it would be prudent for Nadal to skip Barcelona however he knows he and his team know his body and condition much better than us arm chair critics.

I personally think he didnt play to his normal high standard at MC however he is determined and I believe he will continue to improve, if he does then that doesnt bode well for the rest of the field.

The fact is he won and that is the ultimate goal and like he says it's important to win when you're NOT playing your best.

Those suggesting that he should follow someone elses example are Naive the fact is what works for Djoko / Fed / Murray wont necessarily work for him, the truth is Nadal knows best!

Nadal won't get better than last year so from here on is downhill battle...

Tennisworld
04-20-2011, 06:35 AM
I don't think, that Nadal is at his peak. But he is in very good clay form right now. To surpass Federer, this means to win 8 more slams, is a difficult task. If he repeats last season, then he has a good shot.
On the other side, he can't afford to have an off year, a season without a slam from now on. As soon as Nadal loses a step and a bit of his physical power, he is very beatable. This time might come sooner, than many expect.

The Baseline
04-20-2011, 03:54 PM
I don't think, that Nadal is at his peak. But he is in very good clay form right now. To surpass Federer, this means to win 8 more slams, is a difficult task. If he repeats last season, then he has a good shot.
On the other side, he can't afford to have an off year, a season without a slam from now on. As soon as Nadal loses a step and a bit of his physical power, he is very beatable. This time might come sooner, than many expect.

I think most people are assuming the incorrect. Nadal lost to djokovic twice this year, but Nadal was at top form for those two matches. Djokovic has basically overshadowed Nadal this year. But no one wants to give nadal the credit he deserves. Nadal has been nearly flawless this year and should have won at least two more titles. Nadal is extremely fit and is developing the patience needed to rack up another french title. Look for nadal to end up with more titles this year than djokovic. Nadal has really made strides in the last month to prove that this is his year and not djokovics or federers.

jackson vile
04-20-2011, 03:59 PM
True. As I pointed out in my post, there is "solid" history worth 7 years, that NOTHING GOOD ever came out from Nadal playing Barcelona.

Won Dubai, skipped DC.

That's why he's on a winning streak of 26 matches. It will go to 30 when Belgrade open ends. Then he will be atleast 34 or 35 (if he wins) in Madrid. Quite possibly it could be 39/40 by the end of Rome (assuming he wins Madrid).

What did Nadal think that Djokovic reached this position, without making any sacrifices?

Very good points, well put.

DjokerIsTheBest
04-20-2011, 04:33 PM
I'm sure Nadal is smarter about what he is and is not capable of re his scheduling than you *****.

ananda
04-20-2011, 07:16 PM
I'm sure Nadal is smarter about what he is and is not capable of re his scheduling than you *****.
Ah, the voice of reason, finally.
Why did it take you 29 posts to show up :D

single_handed_champion
04-20-2011, 07:27 PM

Won Dubai, skipped DC.

Interestingly, Djokovic is playing 3 straight weeks at Belgrade, Madrid and Rome. Hard to imagine him keeping a run going for as long as that on clay.

The Baseline
04-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Interestingly, Djokovic is playing 3 straight weeks at Belgrade, Madrid and Rome. Hard to imagine him keeping a run going for as long as that on clay.

Djokovic is playing extremely well, but Nadal is a buzzsaw on the clay. Look for Nadal to pick up Rome and Madrid with relative ease.

miyagi
04-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Nadal won't get better than last year so from here on is downhill battle...

lol we'll agree to disagree.....people have been saying the same thing for years!

fednad
04-22-2011, 07:38 PM

Your attempt to sound holier-than-thou in the post fails miserably. Stop trying to use misplaced adjectives.
Now, to your "little rubdown ".
NadsyBoy is a possier. I can stand a sore loser but not a cheater. Go and re-watch the match. He kept pulling off the injury show till the opponent lost his momentum.
And guess what, why only NadsyPants has this reputation and nobody else?
That is because only he does it. And does it over and over again.
Nut then, taking a cue from your post, , most of you are certifiably blind-by-choice.

CMM
04-22-2011, 11:25 PM
Your attempt to sound holier-than-thou in the post fails miserably. Stop trying to use misplaced adjectives.
NadsyBoy is a possier. I can stand a sore loser but not a cheater. Go and re-watch the match. He kept pulling off the injury show till the opponent lost his momentum.
Nut then, taking a cue from your post, , most of you are certifiably blind-by-choice.

I watched the Melzer-Federer match and then I came here expecting to find at least 3 "Melzer is a cheater!!" threads.
But I didn't find any.
If Nadal would have been in his place how many threads do you think I would have found?

Because no one cares about anybody else.

http://i55.tinypic.com/fyolzs.jpg

FeVer
04-23-2011, 12:31 AM

(^^misplaced punctuation anyone?)

Funny how he's the most respected player on the tour then. Perhaps you're the single voice of reason amid a bunch of deluded tennis players? No. I didn't hear Petschner complaining after the match, nor have I ever heard any one moaning about his 'habits'. Apart from arm-chair twats like you...

ananda
04-23-2011, 12:38 AM
I watched the Melzer-Federer match and then I came here expecting to find at least 3 "Melzer is a cheater!!" threads.
But I didn't find any.

Check the match thread itself. :D

(maybe it shows that the Fed fans have class!)

CMM
04-23-2011, 04:02 AM
Check the match thread itself. :D

(maybe it shows that the Fed fans have class!)

It shows that their hatred for Nadal is so big that they don't have anything left for other players.

fednad
04-23-2011, 09:32 AM
[QUOTE=CMM;5594514]I watched the Melzer-Federer match and then I came here expecting to find at least 3 "Melzer is a cheater!!" threads.
But I didn't find any.
If Nadal would have been in his place how many threads do you think I would have found?

Because no one cares about anybody else.

Looks like whole fan base has came to defense!
You did not find any thead accusing Melzer because Melzer does not cheat.
You find for Nadal because he does cheat.
And if somebody cheats at this level that nobody would have anything but him to discuss.

fednad
04-23-2011, 09:35 AM
(^^misplaced punctuation anyone?)

Funny how he's the most respected player on the tour then. Perhaps you're the single voice of reason amid a bunch of deluded tennis players? No. I didn't hear Petschner complaining after the match, nor have I ever heard any one moaning about his 'habits'. Apart from arm-chair twats like you...

Boy, you got touchy.
Are you the second avatar of TennisAndMusic?

Nextman916
04-23-2011, 09:41 AM
yeaaa....he's not peaking. He's played better clay tennis before.

vive le beau jeu !
04-23-2011, 09:53 AM
can't wait to see him abyssing.

CMM
04-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Looks like whole fan base has came to defense!
You did not find any thead accusing Melzer because Melzer does not cheat.
You find for Nadal because he does cheat.
And if somebody cheats at this level that nobody would have anything but him to discuss.

Right. Players are allowed to take medical time outs. There is nothing wrong with that and it's within the rules. But if Nadal does it, it suddenly becomes cheating.
Hard to dispute this irrefutable "fact".