PDA

View Full Version : Ever see any pro players in public?

Leelord337
04-18-2011, 07:56 PM
My sister was at this vietnamese restaurant right across the tennis courts at Univ of Houston and saw james blake and mardy fish! they walked in together, james was wearing tennis clothes while mardy was wearing jeans 'n a teeshirt. they ordered to-go. james got a sandwich while mardy got a noodle bowl...and of course james left a pretty big tip in the jar (james bought it). but wow! its just so amazing to see the pro players do normal stuff, and i wish i was there.

loosegroove
04-18-2011, 08:52 PM
I saw James Blake playing at the courts at my highschool campus. Granted this was 17 years ago and his highschool had a match against my highschool. And I was so lowly on my team that I just watched from behind the fence and didn't even step on to the court.

anhuynh16
04-18-2011, 08:58 PM
My sister was at this vietnamese restaurant right across the tennis courts at Univ of Houston and saw james blake and mardy fish! they walked in together, james was wearing tennis clothes while mardy was wearing jeans 'n a teeshirt. they ordered to-go. james got a sandwich while mardy got a noodle bowl...and of course james left a pretty big tip in the jar (james bought it). but wow! its just so amazing to see the pro players do normal stuff, and i wish i was there.

RICE UNIVERSITY. ROCKS, yes I saw Andy Murray at whole foods in Miami while on vacation

gplracer
04-18-2011, 09:15 PM
I saw Boris Becker at The Masters one year.

Big_Dangerous
04-18-2011, 09:17 PM

Man I play at those courts sometimes.

I've only seen pro players at the River Oaks Club.

Saw Cuevas playing Soccer before he beat GGL and got Quisner's autograph and a picture with them.

Plus a picture with Butorac and Rojer.

Also saw Mardy Fish and Nishikori and Karlovic.

ananda
04-18-2011, 09:18 PM
I saw Federer in Chennai some moons back, when he was still competing.

nadalbestclass
04-18-2011, 09:57 PM
I wish I had! BUT my friend was a waiter at Nobu and before that at Tao in Manhattan. While he worked at Nobu in 2009, he saw Nadal and his team there, also Roddick. This was during the USO. Then 2 years before that he worked at Tao and saw Roddick there as well. He didn't wait on them, but the guys that did said that they were both very nice. The wait staff don't discuss the exact tip amount but said both were generous.

cork_screw
04-18-2011, 11:23 PM
A friend of mine works at the famous Magnolia's Bakery (sex in the city) NYC and rang up Mirka buying some cupcakes.

Tshooter
04-19-2011, 01:08 AM
Magnolia Bakery has really awful cupcakes.

westside
04-19-2011, 02:34 AM
I saw Tommy Haas at a starbucks in Melbourne a couple years back. He was with a group of friends so I didn't want to disturb him.
But afterwards i remember his friend skipping down the street. Was a good laugh

cocolate
04-19-2011, 02:47 AM
I saw Federer in Chennai some moons back, when he was still competing.

so true...

fantasticfed
04-19-2011, 03:18 AM
My bro was playing poker with Andy Roddick at Crown (Melbourne) and I met Rafa Nadal and Maria Sharapova in the pool of the hotel i was staying at in melbourne this year!!

chippy17
04-19-2011, 04:40 AM
not wishing to show off or anything:

Sampras
Roddick
Henman
McEnroe
Edberg
Becker
Nastase
Cash

plus a few others that I can't recall

origmarm
04-19-2011, 04:54 AM
Too many to list as I live near Wimbledon :)

In terms of "close encounters" I once had Kournikova staying in the house next door to where I was living at the time. Had dinner at the table next to John McEnroe (loud!). Had a beer standing about 4ft from Goran in a bar.

It sort of makes up for all the disruption in the area at the time...

baseliner87
04-19-2011, 05:16 AM
My bro was playing poker with Andy Roddick at Crown (Melbourne) and I met Rafa Nadal and Maria Sharapova in the pool of the hotel i was staying at in melbourne this year!!

thats awesome!!! what hotel was this at?

chippy17
04-19-2011, 05:20 AM

how about having a shower in the men's locker room at Queens Club as a teenager turning round and the bloke showering next to me was none other than Pistol Pete, in the flesh so to speak

35ft6
04-19-2011, 08:16 AM
I saw Federer taking a pee in an alley once in Van Nuys, CA.

Okay, seriously, I've seen Jim Courier walking down Bleecker St in NYC. Also, Patrick McEnroe working out at the Crunch gym on Broadway in the East Village. Mac getting a massage at Tennissport in Queens.

Charles Norris
04-19-2011, 08:22 AM
I saw Brad Gilbert in a gas station not too far from where the Memphis tourney is. He was Roddick's coach at the time and I just watched Roddick lose to Enqvist in three (if my memory serves me right). As we were heading to Beale St. afterwards, we stopped for gas. In walks Gilbert, buys 4 tall boys of IceHouse and darts. I walked out of the gas station and Roddick was in the front seat looking awfully ticked.

fleabitten
04-19-2011, 08:45 AM
I spotted Boris Becker and his coach at the time, Ion Terriac, standing right next to me at a Simple Minds concert in 1987 in Dallas. (It was during a WTC final that used to be held there). We were both in our late teens. I said hi and then blew his cover. I immediately regretted that as he had to run off, but could not hold in my excitement. Yes, I am old.

chippy17
04-19-2011, 08:55 AM
I saw Federer taking a pee in an alley once in Van Nuys, CA.

Okay, seriously, I've seen Jim Courier walking down Bleecker St in NYC. Also, Patrick McEnroe working out at the Crunch gym on Broadway in the East Village. Mac getting a massage at Tennissport in Queens.

I was being serious!

GrandIllusion
04-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Taylor Dent nearly backed over my father in his car at the Kroger St. Jude tournament in Memphis back in 03 I want to say.

anhuynh16
04-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Man I play at those courts sometimes.

I've only seen pro players at the River Oaks Club.

Saw Cuevas playing Soccer before he beat GGL and got Quisner's autograph and a picture with them.

Plus a picture with Butorac and Rojer.

Also saw Mardy Fish and Nishikori and Karlovic.
HAHAHA i did to. got nishkikoris autograph:D

35ft6
04-19-2011, 05:04 PM
I was being serious!Haha. I didn't even see your post. Just a coincidence that my Federer lame joke sort of seemed like a response to your post.

I saw Mark Phillopousis in LA once but I can't remember where.

fantasticfed
04-19-2011, 05:39 PM

Crown TOwers Hotel in Melbourne, AUS. Its about a 10min drive from the Tennis centre

gully
04-19-2011, 05:49 PM
BJK in Dallas airport about 10 years ago. To me she was bigger than a rockstar!