PDA

View Full Version : "Slower" balls in Monte Carlo?

Randajad
04-19-2011, 07:53 AM
Emilio Sanchez Vicario wrote in his blog that this year Monte Carlo tournament was played with "slower" balls. And Roland garros will use new balls too. What will change?

http://emiliosanchezvicario.wordpress.com/2011/04/18/slower-balls-do-not-stop-nadal-of-winning-in-montecarlo-english-spanish/

Murrayfan31
04-19-2011, 08:11 AM
Now all they need to do is speed up the courts and the tournaments will be moonball free. :) Slow balls and fast courts for the win.

Bartelby
04-19-2011, 08:11 AM
I read that Dunlop had lost its dominance of the clay court swing, but I thought it was still at the FO.

Murrayfan31
04-19-2011, 08:52 AM
I guess we'll have a new champion this year because Nadal can't handle heavy balls. Who knew that's all you had to do to take away Nadal's dominance on clay.

kishnabe
04-19-2011, 09:05 AM
I thought Nadal likes Heavier slower balls.

Murrayfan31
04-19-2011, 09:11 AM
I thought Nadal likes Heavier slower balls.
No he doesn't. He drops the ball short when trying to add spin to a heavier ball. Players who hit flat prefer the heavier balls for more control. Murray match being a perfect example of that.

nadalbestclass
04-19-2011, 09:18 AM
lolz, Murrayfan officially **** in his pants =D

DjokerIsTheBest
04-19-2011, 09:22 AM
lolz, Murrayfan officially **** in his pants =D

How mature of you meg.

BrooklynNY
04-19-2011, 09:27 AM
Murrayfan? do you play tennis?

People who hit flatter shots want a ball they can hit winners off of. Think James Blake, Rog Federer, Agassi..... Heavier balls don't help you hit winners.

Do you think Murray hits flat? or just flat relative to Nadal? because he doesn't hit flat...

Murrayfan31
04-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Murrayfan? do you play tennis?

People who hit flatter shots want a ball they can hit winners off of. Think James Blake, Rog Federer, Agassi..... Heavier balls don't help you hit winners.

Do you think Murray hits flat? or just flat relative to Nadal? because he doesn't hit flat...
Going for broke and hitting relatively flat are 2 different things. Murray and Djokovic are great on defense as well as combining with being able to hit flat and through the court no matter how heavy the conditions are. And Murray's backhand is very flat.

nadalbestclass
04-19-2011, 10:10 AM
How mature of you meg.

Who the hell is Meg? :shock: :)

I'm sorry if I find it tough to deal with him with maturity. He spends all his time hoping for and predicting that Nadal fail. More so than rooting for Murray. Just saying.

miyagi
04-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Well he will just have to adapt and I believe he can most definately do it!

Ray Mercer
04-19-2011, 05:07 PM
I know Federer likes lighter balls. Heavy balls promote boring Nadal style tennis(ie. percentage tennis.)

single_handed_champion
04-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Nadal definitely prefers the heavier balls. He always said the balls at the USO were his biggest challenge because they were light so they did not take topspin as well, and were easier for bashers to drive through the court.

marc45
04-19-2011, 05:42 PM
Emilio Sanchez Vicario wrote in his blog that this year Monte Carlo tournament was played with "slower" balls. And Roland garros will use new balls too. What will change?

http://emiliosanchezvicario.wordpress.com/2011/04/18/slower-balls-do-not-stop-nadal-of-winning-in-montecarlo-english-spanish/just wrote emilio and asked him what he thought the motivation is (specifically to challenge rafa?) and is it fair......waiting for response.....btw, spaniards challenging us choice of court surface for davis cup

boris becker 1
04-19-2011, 06:15 PM
babolat balls at roland garros. new contract for 2011

Bartelby
04-19-2011, 06:21 PM
It would be rather ironic if Babs produced balls that suited Federer more than Nadal.

mikeler
04-20-2011, 10:35 AM
Nadal definitely prefers the heavier balls. He always said the balls at the USO were his biggest challenge because they were light so they did not take topspin as well, and were easier for bashers to drive through the court.

Having used those same balls in several hard court tournaments, I'll tell you that after just a few minutes of my heavy topspin, the balls get VERY fluffed up. Now imagine what Nadal's topspin forehand does to those balls! Once these balls fluff up, your topspin shots just sit up in the wheelhouse of most opponents rather than jumping out of their strike zone. The ball favors the flatter hitters IMHO.