PDA

View Full Version : Oudin needs to hit her forehand!

HSTennisGuy
04-20-2011, 12:18 PM
If anyone watched fed cup this past week you know the US got smoked. I got a chance to see Melanie play I have no idea what she is doing! She not hitting deep, shes not attacking or anything. When she played at the open she was running around the backhand to hit aggressive forehands ,but now it seems like she hits 1 forehand winner a set. Also her serve. I know she can't do much with the first but the second she just plots in the middle of the box with no topspin at all Mel needs to learn how to hit a kick serve lol. I also think she was better suited to the k blade tour with the smaller head size but I what do I know. Anyways sorry about the ranting I was just wondering everyone's thoughts on her game and what she needs to do to get better.:cry:

BrooklynNY
04-20-2011, 12:21 PM
She also needs to grow 5 inches and add some muscle.

But uh... you can't control everything.

HSTennisGuy
04-20-2011, 12:34 PM
I mean things she can control:-?

BrooklynNY
04-20-2011, 12:36 PM
If she was a bit taller, I think she would be able to be top 20 easily.

I like her game, I think the only thing inhibiting her is size unfortunately.

DRII
04-20-2011, 05:26 PM
I actually thought transitioning to a bigger head racquet would help her groundtrokes, particularly her backhand. I always thought her original racquet was too demanding for her as far as serve and backhand were concerned. Maybe she just needs more time to get used to the new gear.

Cup8489
04-21-2011, 08:58 AM
I actually thought transitioning to a bigger head racquet would help her groundtrokes, particularly her backhand. I always thought her original racquet was too demanding for her as far as serve and backhand were concerned. Maybe she just needs more time to get used to the new gear.

If hewitt could win wimbledon with a 90" Yonex then I think Oudin could do okay with a 93"

pmerk34
04-21-2011, 09:00 AM
If hewitt could win wimbledon with a 90" Yonex then I think Oudin could do okay with a 93"

Yeah sure like there are any similarities between a former ATP number one ranked player and Melanie Oudin

dominikk1985
04-21-2011, 09:01 AM
She also needs to grow 5 inches and add some muscle.

But uh... you can't control everything.

she is half an inch taller than henin just a little shorter than hingis. You can play good tennis at this height.

Cup8489
04-21-2011, 09:03 AM
Yeah sure like there are any similarities between a former ATP number one ranked player and Melanie Oudin

Size... since everyone is obsessed with size ar ound here... Oudin has good form on all groundstrokes.. she does fine. Stop blaming the frame. It's her..she needs to get in the mindset.. Like Hewitt was.

pmerk34
04-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Size... since everyone is obsessed with size ar ound here... Oudin has good form on all groundstrokes.. she does fine. Stop blaming the frame. It's her..she needs to get in the mindset.. Like Hewitt was.

It's not being obsessed with size, it's looking at where the game is at now and where it's going. There are exceptions of course to every rule but in general the best men's and women players are taller than average. Tough to have a serve as weapon at 5'6"

dirtballer
04-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Her serve is very predictable. Her second serve is like a hanging slider in baseball. In the ad court her second serve always goes to the forehand and her opponent always tees off on it. I almost think she uses an eastern forehand grip to serve because she can't pronate to hit a kick serve. When people talk about her size, it isn't just height. Justine Henin wasn't tall but she had long arms which helped her leverage. Oudin's arms are short and she just doesn't have the same leverage.

courtking
04-21-2011, 01:26 PM
her run at USOpen was a fluke.. She got no weapons now adays and very inconsistence.. she would be very happy to make the top 50 I would say..

adidasman
04-21-2011, 01:29 PM
She's just not very good, at least not in comparison to her peers. There's just no two ways about it.

THUNDERVOLLEY
04-21-2011, 01:34 PM
She's just not very good, at least not in comparison to her peers. There's just no two ways about it.

Agreed. Her USO run was impressive, but it appears she was one of the biggest flukes in recent tennis history.

lgbalfa
04-22-2011, 07:54 PM
she just needs a serve.

hunter121
04-22-2011, 08:57 PM
her run at USOpen was a fluke
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/10.jpghttp://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx229/j3iR/wind/jeromssummer_flickr_photos_848.gif

J_aces
04-22-2011, 09:04 PM
Most of her shots seem to just be floating there. No real weapons at all

WinNCash
04-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Last year on tour she converted the highest percentage of break points of anyone on tour.

Break Points Converted
Pos Player % Match
1 OUDIN, Melanie 58.8 39

She must be doing something right... Unfortunately her serve games need a tweak.

I don't think she's terrible but she needs to find a better serve.

willshot
04-22-2011, 09:20 PM
The problem is that her game has barely any margin! its going to be difficult for her to win consistently.

WinNCash
04-22-2011, 09:23 PM
The problem is that her game has barely any margin! its going to be difficult for her to win consistently.

It's already difficult.

She has won more matches on red clay this year than last year though. hahaha.