PDA

View Full Version : A question on the Hawk-Eye system

scritic
04-23-2011, 07:25 AM
Hi All,

I'm a graduate student interested in the social aspects of technology, and I've been working on a project that looks at the various aspects of the Hawk-Eye system.

I am mostly interested in Hawk-Eye's business model. The way I understand, Hawk-Eye doesn't sell itself as a product but as a service, so during a tournament, it's Hawk-Eye's employees who manage the system and make the calls. This means that the statistics that Hawk-Eye generates remain with them -- and are possibly licensed to the TV stations.

Does anyone know what the arrangement between Hawk-Eye and the TV stations is?

Does Hawk-Eye sell the statistics to interested parties? Are coaches starting to use these statistics for planning match strategies?

Also, on the Hawk-Eye website, they also have a "coaching system" which they hope coaches will find useful. Do you know if systems like these are now starting to be used for coaching? And if they are, how are they used?

Any help would be much appreciated. If you have any suggestions, answers or tips (including books, articles, or links I could look up, or people whom I could get in touch with), please let me know.

Many thanks!
S

dominikk1985
04-23-2011, 08:48 AM
I think the tournaments have to pay for it.

it was often said that smaller tournaments can't afford the hawk eye.

PBODY99
04-23-2011, 09:21 AM
http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2011-03-08/news/28668614_1_hawk-eye-ball-tracking-technology-paul-hawkins
The Wisden Group who purchased Hawkeye in 2006 sold it to SONY recently.

scritic
04-24-2011, 02:52 AM
Thanks, guys! The Sony news is big -- and potentially very interesting.

nimailni
04-24-2011, 09:05 PM
A TV commentator mentioned it costs about $50k for 1 court.