PDA

View Full Version : Vintage 1978: Haas and Stepanek

El Diablo
04-24-2011, 01:50 PM
I see these two 32 year olds will be playing doubles together this season if Haas' health holds up. Not much time left to enjoy their brand of tennis, both solid all-courters with good ground games and always looking to move forward, very aggressive style. I wish more players played as adventurously as they, reallly fun tennis to watch. Two of the better players of their age never to win a slam.

cypher
04-24-2011, 03:25 PM
I see these two 32 year olds will be playing doubles together this season if Haas' health holds up. Not much time left to enjoy their brand of tennis, both solid all-courters with good ground games and always looking to move forward, very aggressive style. I wish more players played as adventurously as they, reallly fun tennis to watch. Two of the better players of their age never to win a slam.

Yeah, I think Haas probably should have won AO 02. Was up two sets to one in semis against Safin but then it started raining and the match was completely changed after with Safin confirming he had been done if not for the rain. Too bad considering he messed up his final against Johansson who won a fluke slam.

35ft6
04-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Thinking of these two, I wonder when the ATP top 100 will contain NO players who ever played with wood. Something about Tommy's strokes makes me think he played with wood at the very beginning. Figure anybody born after 1985 or so would have went graphite from the get go.

RedGuitar
04-25-2011, 06:07 AM
Haas Comeback - great :)

moonpie
04-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Livescorehunter will be streaming Munich tomorrow and the Haas/Steps doubs will be one of them.

stevorino
04-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Livescorehunter will be streaming Munich tomorrow and the Haas/Steps doubs will be one of them.

thats great, ill take any chance to tommi play some matches again

Breaker
04-25-2011, 03:53 PM
Thinking of these two, I wonder when the ATP top 100 will contain NO players who ever played with wood. Something about Tommy's strokes makes me think he played with wood at the very beginning. Figure anybody born after 1985 or so would have went graphite from the get go.

Yeah probably once the Hewitt/Fed/Rod/Nalby generation are all finished there won't be any left. I know Hewitt in particular used them a lot as a kid and you can really tell with his backhand.

roundiesee
04-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Great news, thanks! :)
I will be hoping to catch them on TV IF they ever do show doubles on TV that is :(

NLBwell
04-25-2011, 07:33 PM
I've always liked to watch Haas. I especially like it when he and Sara get into it while he's playing.