PDA

View Full Version : "C'mon!!" = rude

AtomicForehand
04-24-2011, 04:36 PM
I hate when the pros shout "C'mon!" at a ball their opponent has hit that's going out, especially when they pump their fist afterward.

It is mostly (but not exclusively) the women who do this. Sharapova and Safina are major offenders, and we can now add Goerges to the list. I have seen Federer do it several times too.

This seems to me to be the height of bad manners and poor sportsmanship. They are cheering that their opponent has made an error.

It does show, however, how insecure they are feeling at the moment to stoop that low.

rdis10093
04-24-2011, 04:42 PM
what if they hit, such a shot that makes their opponents hit an unforced error?

TennisNewb
04-24-2011, 04:44 PM
Give me a break. You sound like Mary C

AtomicForehand
04-24-2011, 04:44 PM

Isn't that the whole point of tennis?

Manus Domini
04-24-2011, 04:45 PM
I hate when the pros shout "C'mon!" at a ball their opponent has hit that's going out, especially when they pump their fist afterward.

So do I, but the stupid Founding Fathers made that d@mned free-speech clause >.<

It is mostly (but not exclusively) the women who do this.

I'm sure Andy Murray would appreciate that...

Sharapova and Safina are major offenders, and we can now add Goerges to the list.

Yeah, but 2 of those three are hot, and the other one would kill me for complaining

I have seen Federer do it several times too.

I know, he livens the WTA up so much with his C'Mons. He should be more quiet, like Murray and Rafa.

This seems to me to be the height of bad manners and poor sportsmanship. They are cheering that their opponent has made an error.

It's so unacceptable. That is why I worship Nadal, Murray, and Djokovic. Their opponents never have the chance to commit errors. Every single play, these three end the points at the net, with miraculous touch shots to boot. They would never sink as low as Federer or Sharapova and shout "C'mons!".

It does show, however, how insecure they are feeling at the moment to stoop that low.

Totally, man. It's so ungroovy a conjunction.

rdis10093
04-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Say I hit a huge forehand, then you can hardly get your frame on it shank, I then yell "come on." do you think that is rude?

AtomicForehand
04-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Say I hit a huge forehand, then you can hardly get your frame on it shank, I then yell "come on." do you think that is rude?

Of course.

rdis10093
04-24-2011, 04:48 PM
why? I am hitting such a shot, that it makes you play porely.

AtomicForehand
04-24-2011, 04:49 PM
I would submit that fist-pumping yourself when you hit a crazy winner is permissible, but not cheering your opponents' errors, even if you caused them with your incredibly superhuman play.

Manus Domini
04-24-2011, 04:50 PM
I would submit that fist-pumping yourself when you hit a crazy winner is permissible, but not cheering your opponents' errors, even if you caused them with your incredibly superhuman play.

But why? What is the difference?

AtomicForehand
04-24-2011, 04:52 PM
But why? What is the difference?

The difference is between a positive and a negative.

TennisNewb
04-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Everyone has a right to celebrate when they execute their gameplan

AtomicForehand
04-24-2011, 04:54 PM
Everyone has a right to celebrate when they execute their gameplan

You have a "right" to do a lot of things that are still rude.

Larrysümmers
ill just yell VAMOS instead

Manus Domini
The difference is between a positive and a negative.

but they are both negatives for the opponent and positives for the "c'mon"er

rdis10093
04-24-2011, 04:55 PM
well, sadly I grew up watching Lleyton, and he is one of the best in my books, so I have to say I am a big "come oner."

I think I just made a new word.

Manus Domini
04-24-2011, 04:56 PM
well, sadly I grew up watching Lleyton, and he is one of the best in my books, so I have to say I am a big "come oner."

I think I just made a new word.

sounds like commoner to me ;)

rdis10093
04-24-2011, 04:58 PM
good one manus

rdis10093
04-24-2011, 05:04 PM
if you are a boss, you can even throw in the viche sign.

Manus Domini
04-24-2011, 05:05 PM
good one manus

Though I find it weird that the OP believes 'tis the lasses who are the commoners (;)) while men such as Murray, Rafa (Vamos="We come" in espanol IIRC), Hewitt (as you mentioned), Djokovic, and many more are the main villains in any argument of such a matter. And since when has Federer been a large "C'Mon" contributor?

Manus Domini
04-24-2011, 05:05 PM
if you are a boss, you can even throw in the viche sign.

viche sign?

rdis10093
04-24-2011, 05:07 PM
I don't think I that is spelled right "viche" anyone?

AtomicForehand
04-24-2011, 05:08 PM

Though I find it weird that the OP believes 'tis the lasses who are the commoners (;)) while men such as Murray, Rafa (Vamos="We come" in espanol IIRC), Hewitt (as you mentioned), Djokovic, and many more are the main villains in any argument of such a matter. And since when has Federer been a large "C'Mon" contributor?

That's true--I have noticed Murray doing it a lot. Not so much Rafa and Djoker...I may be wrong (and I'll start paying attention to them more now on this issue), but it seems to me that when they cheer for themselves it's because they hit a great shot rather than that their opponent's ball went out.

Feddy has been saying "C'mon" rather too often for my liking lately. It is beneath him.

rdis10093
the thing hewitt does, when he bends has fingers back and points them torwards his face. It means "for sure"

AtomicForehand
"Come-onners" would be more accurate than "commoners" BTW. ;-)

rdis10093
04-24-2011, 05:09 PM
janko tips. also does it some times

Manus Domini
That's true--I have noticed Murray doing it a lot. Not so much Rafa and Djoker...I may be wrong (and I'll start paying attention to them more now on this issue), but it seems to me that when they cheer for themselves it's because they hit a great shot rather than that their opponent's ball went out.

That's laughable :lol:

Rafa, Novak, and Muura hit winners instead of force UEs? :lol:

AtomicForehand
Oh, "vicht"? Jumbled Swedish for "visst," which means "sure" or "certainly"...

rdis10093
04-24-2011, 05:11 PM
yeah, it that how it is spelled though?

Antonio Puente
04-24-2011, 05:27 PM
"Come on" is tired... in every language. Find something original to yell.

Manus Domini
04-24-2011, 05:28 PM
"Come on" is tired... in every language. Find something original to yell.

A phrase is tired?

Antonio Puente
04-24-2011, 05:56 PM
A phrase is tired?

Yes.

tired
1    /taɪərd/ Show Spelled[tahyuhrd]
–adjective
exhausted, as by exertion; fatigued or sleepy: a tired runner.
weary or bored (usually followed by of ): tired of the same food every day.
hackneyed; stale, as a joke, phrase, or sermon.
Informal . impatient or disgusted: You make me tired.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tired

Anything else I can help you with?

aldeayeah
04-24-2011, 06:01 PM
That's laughable :lol:

Rafa, Novak, and Muura hit winners instead of force UEs? :lol:

How exactly does one force an unforced error? :twisted:

TheOneHander
04-24-2011, 06:02 PM
janko tips. also does it some times

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1003/632593780_5e4181f3d7.jpg

Hewitt in full vicht.

http://ww1.prweb.com/prfiles/2004/11/23/182245/Hewitt_Vicht.jpg

Making it look spiffy.

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/79114718.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1933EFCA682023730385737FADD4341FB53

Tipsy giving it a try.

rdis10093
04-24-2011, 06:04 PM
theonehander
why did I get owned? for not knowing how to spell it? come on man it is not english.

OddJack
04-24-2011, 06:05 PM
Depends who says it,

If Hewitt says it it's genuine enthusiasm

If Rodge says it it's natural

If Nadal says it it's comedy

If Wozniaki says it it's disgusting

If Murray says it it's Scottish street smarts

If Ana says it it's cuteness

TheOneHander
04-24-2011, 06:06 PM
theonehander
why did I get owned? for not knowing how to spell it? come on man it is not english.

I posted the wrong picture, my copy button malfunctioned. That picture was from a previous thread and I edited my post before I saw yours.

Anyways, the whole "come on" thing annoys me. I don't like the idea of celebrating or even fist pumping after a point. It looks silly and the Borg-esque calmness is more intimidating. It also makes you look like less of a jerk/Rafa wannabe.

Vamos!

Jonny S&V
04-24-2011, 06:10 PM
Phew, if the OP is so bothered by the c'mons in pro tennis, he should watch a few hours of college tennis so he can get desensitized to anything that the pros can throw at you.

rdis10093
04-24-2011, 06:11 PM
ahhh, I thought I was owned, but all is good.

TheOneHander
04-24-2011, 06:14 PM
Phew, if the OP is so bothered by the c'mons in pro tennis, he should watch a few hours of college tennis so he can get desensitized to anything that the pros can throw at you.

Are the college players really that bad? I've only seen a few college matches but they had the standard yelling and screaming just like the pros.

ahhh, I thought I was owned, but all is
good.

Indeed it is. Indeed it is.

rdis10093
04-24-2011, 06:19 PM
haha, I play at college, the come ons and stuff can get pretty crazy at times.

Forehand Avenger
04-24-2011, 06:19 PM

It is mostly (but not exclusively) the women who do this. Sharapova and Safina are major offenders, and we can now add Goerges to the list. I have seen Federer do it several times too.

I have never liked players cheering opponent's failures. I'm OK if they do it on their own winners though. There's just something wrong about it.

rdis10093
04-24-2011, 06:20 PM
151 gosh I am good bionic poster watch out, because you are about to be passed in posts

rdis10093
04-24-2011, 06:20 PM
my mistake break point, not bionic poster

kelawai
04-24-2011, 06:29 PM
Come on don't come out unless the point is getting intense. I don't see any Pro's or Amateur's do that when they can beat the opponent easily.
Try to say out loud Come On next time when you win a tough point. You will know how good it feel.

Jonny S&V
04-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Are the college players really that bad? I've only seen a few college matches but they had the standard yelling and screaming just like the pros.

Depends on the team, but as a whole, yes. There are multiple players that will say "c'mon" after every point he/she wins. The two rudest (and most classless) things that I've heard as of yet was, in a doubles match, a guy hit a routine put-away in doubles and said quite audibly "Suck it!". Note, the other team had done NOTHING to provoke that type of behavior.

The second behavior was a team that, after one player would break their opponent's serve, would yell "Break 'bods!" to the rest of his teammates (their mascot is the 'Ichabod,' whatever the heck that is...). Needless to say, there were not so many nice things exchanged between both teams throughout the meet.

ledwix
04-24-2011, 10:19 PM
Tennis is already the most boring sport in terms of celebrations. "C'mon" is a good thing.

It's a false dichotomy to say that it's either you winning the point outright, or your opponent losing the point outright. It's always a combination of both.

Maybe you should say cmon on winners but NOT when they touch the ball and slightly deflect it by 2 degrees, but it still keeps on going backwards? lol....

SirGounder
04-24-2011, 10:38 PM
It's more of cheer for yourself than a cheer against your opponent.

Clay lover
04-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Yelling c'mon if you hit a good shot is ok, but to c'mon on an error is disgusting. I play pool and some people celebrate when their opponents scratch, makes me wanna shove the white ball into their mouths.

rovex
04-25-2011, 06:14 AM

Asserting that someone is a pedophile at the drop of a hat is very rude if you ask me. I wonder who did that?

Cassius Clay
04-25-2011, 06:14 AM
If your gameplan is to wait for your rival's error, then why shouldn't you yell "c'mon"? You executed your plan fantastically and should be happy about it.

All-rounder
04-25-2011, 06:23 AM
If your gameplan is to wait for your rival's error, then why shouldn't you yell "c'mon"? You executed your plan fantastically and should be happy about it.
Tryna make excuses for Murray I see :roll:

Mainad
04-25-2011, 06:36 AM
You shouldn't applaud your opponent's clearly unforced errors,eg.double faults on serve but if you hit a great shot that forces an error from your opponent then you're perfectly entitled to shout "Come On" and pump yourself up.Why on earth,not??

I have seen ALL the top players pump themselves up this way,without exception! 8)

jones101
04-25-2011, 06:49 AM
I dont mind it as long as it is a big point etc, thats why Serena/Federer dont bother me.

When it is happening every single game, like 1-1 15all, I find it irritating. Ivanoivc is the worst offender for me.

AtomicForehand
04-25-2011, 07:58 AM
C'mon, if you're a girl then how can you have an ATOMIC forehand? Aren't you supposed to be sugar and spice and everything nice?

[shrugging] It was a gift from god?

Manus Domini
04-25-2011, 08:08 AM
Yes.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tired

Anything else I can help you with?

Oh never knew that. Thanks very much :)

How exactly does one force an unforced error? :twisted:

Opponent has to make a mistake sometime ;)

Andres
04-25-2011, 08:16 AM
Then it wouldn't be an Unforced error.

Mustard
04-25-2011, 09:45 AM

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42456000/jpg/_42456859_hewitt3_getty_300.jpg

C'MON!!!!!! :twisted:

snr
04-25-2011, 09:48 AM
I'm all for the audience being quiet so the players can concentrate on their game (I hate it when fans start screaming for no reason, and I love Djokovic so don't want to pick on him but his fans last year at the Rogers Cup when I watched him were so bad..), but I definitely like it when players get fired up. It makes the players more human, and honestly, makes the sport more appealing especially to those who aren't hardcore fans of tennis.

HvyFriend
04-25-2011, 05:38 PM
"Come on"er? I just met 'er!

Dilettante
04-25-2011, 05:59 PM

And why shouldn't they cheer when the opponent makes an error?

AtomicForehand
04-25-2011, 06:01 PM
And why shouldn't they cheer when the opponent makes an error?

Because it's rude.

Dilettante
04-25-2011, 06:06 PM
Because it's rude.

But why is it rude? It's just cheering.

Lsmkenpo
04-25-2011, 06:08 PM
Yelling C'Mon!! is so dated, most people have switched to yelling "What!!"

But the really cool new thing to do when you hit a winner or your opponent makes an UE, Is not to yell anything at all, just make eye contact, smile and nod your head like this:

http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt18/Indiemann/m7b049.gif

AtomicForehand
04-25-2011, 06:13 PM
But why is it rude? It's just cheering.

It's rude for the same reason it is rude to laugh when someone accidentally falls down or whacks their head or something like that. The person has made a mistake; the mistake hurts them (either physically, in this case, or otherwise, in the tennis case). Thus, it is rude to exult or be otherwise overtly pleased over that.

Come on, people. This isn't such a complex concept, is it?

Dilettante
04-25-2011, 06:21 PM
It's rude for the same reason it is rude to laugh when someone accidentally falls down or whacks their head or something like that. The person has made a mistake; the mistake hurts them (either physically, in this case, or otherwise, in the tennis case). Thus, it is rude to exult or be otherwise overtly pleased over that.

Come on, people. This isn't such a complex concept, is it?

A tennis mistake won't hurt the player so I don't follow your argument. The player just loses a point, that's not hurting.

AtomicForehand
04-25-2011, 06:25 PM
You didn't win the point; the opponent lost the point.

Dilettante
04-25-2011, 06:32 PM
You didn't win the point; the opponent lost the point.

Most errors in tennis, even many of the listed as "unforced", are the result of the rival's game, both for the technical and the mental causes of error, and the rival knows it. I don't see players cheering opponent's double faults often, do you?

I find it funny, this snobbish chivalry of some tennis fans.

"Oh poor guy just made an error, let's say a prayer for him"

AtomicForehand
04-25-2011, 06:36 PM
That's a good example that you bring up. Is it rude to cheer when the opponent double-faults? Pretty much everyone would say yes. It is the same thing as what we're talking about here.

cypher
04-25-2011, 06:38 PM
I don't see players cheering opponent's double faults often, do you?

Hewitt, Almagro, Murray etc. does this.

Dilettante
04-25-2011, 06:38 PM
That's a good example that you bring up. Is it rude to cheer when the opponent double-faults? Pretty much everyone would say yes. It is the same thing as what we're talking about here.

Since when a double fault is the same as an error made during a rally?

AtomicForehand
04-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Hewitt, Almagro, Murray etc. does this.

And it's rude.

Manus Domini
04-25-2011, 06:42 PM
And it's rude.

As are the girls' shrieks, Nadal's buttpicking, the amount of time between points (I could watch a movie then), the lack of aggressive tennis in the final when you are in America watching real time AO final, and the coursing at linesmen and lineswomen. You don't see the ATP or WTA doing anything about those issues...

And so is the towelboy now I think of it.

MichaelNadal
04-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Most errors in tennis, even many of the listed as "unforced", are the result of the rival's game, both for the technical and the mental causes of error, and the rival knows it. I don't see players cheering opponent's double faults often, do you?

I find it funny, this snobbish chivalry of some tennis fans.

"Oh poor guy just made an error, let's say a prayer for him"

Lol right :)

TMF
04-25-2011, 07:19 PM
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00699/sport-graphics-2008_699808a.jpg

COME ON !!!!!!!

TMF
04-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Come on...
http://www.topnews.in/files/Serena-Williams5.jpg

Come on.....
http://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00121/Serena-Williams-of_121642t.jpg

Come on !!!!!!!!!
http://cdn1.gamepro.com/blogfaction/images/serena.jpg

cc0509
04-25-2011, 07:52 PM

I don't think it is rude, I think you are exaggerating. This is a sports competition not a quilting circle and winning a point is winning a point no matter how it comes. I don't think they shout "come on" to be rude. It is just a way to get themselves pumped up.

Also, this is not something exclusive to the women. The men do it as well including Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Hewitt etc. with their fist pumps and shouts.

Personally, I don't see why it is a big deal. The loud grunting is much worse to me. Ferrer sounds like a warthog and Nadal is not much better in that area, not to mention Sharapova and the many others.

vandre
04-28-2011, 10:55 AM

that sounds like a forced error

Tyrus
04-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Really?!?!? Not one person likens this to Gob from Arrested Development...

Like the guy in the $3,000 pants is going to post a youtube link, Come on!!!.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP_9zH9Q44o

2ManyAces
04-28-2011, 11:43 AM

So you're basically calling the classy-est tennis player who ever lived (Federer) a 'major offender'? If Fed is impolite and a 'major offender' then I guess I don't know what impolite and 'major offender' means. So you're basically saying they're impolite for showing heart in a game that is all about mentality? I agree that cheering after a double fault is bad sportsmanship, but yelling "C'mon!" is perfectly fine in my book. Rafa cheers like crazy, with the whole "VAMOS!!!" and the fist pumps, jumps, and leaps! Rafa nor Federer are impolite; they just show emotion. I don't want to flame you or anything, I just strongly disagree with your opinion.

AtomicForehand
04-28-2011, 12:27 PM
So you're basically calling the classy-est tennis player who ever lived (Federer) a 'major offender'? If Fed is impolite and a 'major offender' then I guess I don't know what impolite and 'major offender' means. So you're basically saying they're impolite for showing heart in a game that is all about mentality? I agree that cheering after a double fault is bad sportsmanship, but yelling "C'mon!" is perfectly fine in my book. Rafa cheers like crazy, with the whole "VAMOS!!!" and the fist pumps, jumps, and leaps! Rafa nor Federer are impolite; they just show emotion. I don't want to flame you or anything, I just strongly disagree with your opinion.

Please re-read. I named some women who were "major offenders" and then said, in a separate sentence, "I have seen Federer do it SEVERAL TIMES" too. This was not to single out Fed as the worst offender among the men, but rather to show that even "cool and classy" players do it.

You are certainly entitled to disagree (even strongly :)) with my opinion.

Spin Doctor
04-28-2011, 08:25 PM

I totally agree. This is just rude behavior in tennis IMO. I think Ivanovic is one of the worst offenders since she combines her "C'mon" with a fistpump which doubles the rudeness factor. I don't have a problem with players like Fed and Nadal who only do it on occaision.

phnx90
04-28-2011, 09:00 PM
I totally agree. This is just rude behavior in tennis IMO. I think Ivanovic is one of the worst offenders since she combines her "C'mon" with a fistpump which doubles the rudeness factor. I don't have a problem with players like Fed and Nadal who only do it on occaision.

If a fistpump/c'mon is a measure of combating insecurity, Ivanovic above all people needs her "ajde"s...