PDA

View Full Version : Were any of these players ever considered the best man or women player in the World?

NadalAgassi
04-25-2011, 10:04 AM
All of these players have reached #1 on the computer at one point, but were any of them really ever considered the best player in the World. It is multiple choice so vote for the ones you think were at some point considered the best. I will go through each:

Sharapova- No I dont think there is ever a point she was considered the best player in the World. She was often one of the 3 best but never the best. In 2004 most though it was Henin when healthy, Davenport, or possibly Serena. In 2005 at the start some thought it was Serena after she returned to the slam winners circle by winning the Australian, but as the year went on it was clear it was either Davenport or Clijsters. Throughout 2006 either Mauresmo or Henin was considered the best player in the World, and at the start of 2007 it seemed to be Henin or Serena, but by the end of 2007 clearly Henin again. Even after winning the 08 Australian Open, Henin who had dominated most of the last year was still considered the best I think, then by the time Henin had retired Serena had continued beating Maria (and beaten Henin) and reasserted her superiority. Even while ranked #1 on the computer she was never viewed as a weak #1, but not quite the best player still.

Jankovic- No. The only time she was close was at the end of 2008 but I think most considered Serena the best.

Ivanovic- No.

Moya- No.

Safina- No.

Kafelnikov- No. Nearly everyone considered Pete Sampras the best while he was ranked #1.

Rios- No. He hadnt won a slam so Sampras was still considered the best then by most.

Capriati- Won 3 slams in 13 months but I dont think she was ever considered the best. Venus was always considered better than her in 2002 and early 2003, then Serena took over.

Ferrero- I would say no. He had been destroyed by Roddick in the U.S Open final soon before becoming #1, and apart from the U.S Open and a couple ATP Championships (none which he won) had made little impression outside of clay. Roddick and Federer were considered better overall.

I wont count Wozniacki as she still has alot of potential future time at #1 and it is too soon to say if she will ever be considered the best player in the World or not (if in your mind she hasnt been yet).

DjokerIsTheBest
04-25-2011, 10:07 AM
What about Nadal?

NadalAgassi
04-25-2011, 10:08 AM
What about Nadal?

You mean Nadal that was considered by far the best player in the World in 2008, 2010, and the first 5 months of 2009. Your point is what exactly.

tenis1
04-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Yes for all of them. Rankings don't lie.
For example, Jankovic was indeed the best player in the world at the end of 2008. She played the best tennis in the world then.
Similarly Ivanovic was the best when she won FO 2008. Many forgot how she dominated the event beating convincingly everyone, except maybe Jankovic.

The same applies for all players on the list. For some period of time (albeit short) they indeed played the best tennis and were the best player in the world.

DRII
04-25-2011, 10:16 AM
He's probably trying to upset and frustrate you.

The same you were probably trying to do (to some) by starting this thread!

I'm surprised you didn't put Venus on the list to try and irk me...

NadalAgassi
04-25-2011, 10:18 AM
I think Jankovic at the end of 2008 could have been considered the best except she didnt quite get over the hump of beating Serena in a big final (lost close finals in Miami and the U.S Open) or winning a truly big event.

Actually you have a point about Ivanovic. I am not sure who was considered the best around just after the time she won the French Open. She had at that point made 3 of the last 5 slam finals, and just won a slam, so maybe she was considered the best for a month only until Serena won Wimbledon (already being reigning U.S Open Champ and owning Ana in H2H).

Mustard
04-25-2011, 10:42 AM
All those players have been world number 1, so they were officially the best players in the world at some point.

NLBwell
04-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Reaching number 1 is an accomplishment. The "best" is an opinion. Often these line up, sometimes not.

Mustard
04-25-2011, 10:57 AM
If you're the world number 1, you are officially the best player in the world.

jones101
04-25-2011, 11:01 AM
If you're the world number 1, you are officially the best player in the world.

If you are number one, it deterimines you are top of the entry list for tournaments, and top seeding. The rankings were designed to determine which players could play which events, not who is necessarily the best player in the world.

Mustard
04-25-2011, 11:05 AM
If you are number one, it deterimines you are top of the entry list for tournaments, and top seeding. The rankings were designed to determine which players could play which events, not who is necessarily the best player in the world.

Being number 1 means that your results over the past 52 weeks have been better than any other player's results. At least that's how it's been since the mid-1980s or so.

Gorecki
04-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Capriati- Won 3 slams in 13 months but I dont think she was ever considered the best. Venus was always considered better than her in 2002 and early 2003, then Serena took over.

lol... this one i really would like to hear the reasoning.

NadalAgassi
04-25-2011, 12:04 PM
lol... this one i really would like to hear the reasoning.

1. She was never the holder of more than 2 slams. Which is still great of course, but Venus Williams was also always the holder of 2 slams as the winner of 2000 Wimbledon, 2000 U.S Open, 2001 Wimbledon, and 2001 U.S Open. And all things being equal Wimbledon and the U.S Open are the most prestigious slams anyway. So definitely no edge on Venus here.

2. She was 0-3 against Venus in 2001, 0-4 lifetime. With both ladies splitting the slams and Venus owning the head to head during the period, it is little surprise virtually everyone regarded Venus as the better still. Capriati also had losing head to heads with Davenport, Seles, Henin, and Mauresmo, even during the period she and Venus were splitting the slams.

3. Capriati won only 4 tournament total in 2001-2002, 3 total in 2001. Contrast that to Venus who won 10 total in 2001-2002, including 6 in 2001, including the prestigious Miami title. So in addition to atleast matching Capriati in slams, she far outdid her everywhere else.

NadalAgassi
04-25-2011, 12:08 PM
To all those voting for Sharpova which point in time did you consider Maria the best player in the World?

TMF
04-25-2011, 12:12 PM
He's probably trying to upset and frustrate you.

The same you were probably trying to do (to some) by starting this thread!

I'm surprised you didn't put Venus on the list to try and irk me...

You keep harassing him, he might create another thread just to make you look bad again. Donít say that I didnít warn you.

Ludwig von Mises
04-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Nadal should definitely be included in this poll.

Gorecki
04-25-2011, 12:18 PM
1. She was never the holder of more than 2 slams. Which is still great of course, but Venus Williams was also always the holder of 2 slams as the winner of 2000 Wimbledon, 2000 U.S Open, 2001 Wimbledon, and 2001 U.S Open. And all things being equal Wimbledon and the U.S Open are the most prestigious slams anyway. So definitely no edge on Venus here.

2. She was 0-3 against Venus in 2001, 0-4 lifetime. With both ladies splitting the slams and Venus owning the head to head during the period, it is little surprise virtually everyone regarded Venus as the better still. Capriati also had losing head to heads with Davenport, Seles, Henin, and Mauresmo, even during the period she and Venus were splitting the slams.

3. Capriati won only 4 tournament total in 2001-2002, 3 total in 2001. Contrast that to Venus who won 10 total in 2001-2002, including 6 in 2001, including the prestigious Miami title. So in addition to atleast matching Capriati in slams, she far outdid her everywhere else.

so basically your argument is a typical Nadatard one. the h2h... lol!!! this is not even worth a propper reply of my rusty english!!!!!!