PDA

View Full Version : Wozniacki Considering Navratilova as 'Consultant'?

jones101
04-25-2011, 09:48 AM
This story comes from Wozniacki's Dad herself, Piotr.

Apparaently Martina does not come cheap, it will cost $300, 000 for her services.

http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/news.aspx?articleid=11630&zoneid=25

What effect, if any, do you think this will have on her game? Can she elevate her game. I personally cant see Caroline-Hingis serve n volleying at all, it is just not her game, and she slices with a 2HB so thats different too. Mentally, she could be of enormous help at the slams. Gamewise however, I dont see it.

Sanchez Vicario or Conchita Martinez would be better in that regard.

TMF
04-25-2011, 09:51 AM
If that's true, good for her. She’s taking another step to refine her game.

jones101
04-25-2011, 09:56 AM
If that's true, good for her. She’s taking another step to refine her game.

I hope it does, it would be interesting for her, thats for sure as she is a complete different gamestyle to the one Caroline-Hingis uses predominately

li0scc0
04-25-2011, 10:07 AM
I hope it does, it would be interesting for her, thats for sure as she is a complete different gamestyle to the one Caroline-Hingis uses predominately

OK that whole Caroline Hingis Vicario isn't funny when Mother Marjorie does it, and isn't funny when copycats try it. :)

As for Wozniacki, sure, Navratilova makes good sense. Navratilova was the true queen of fitness. Wozniacki plays a game that requires fitness. She clearly has the cardiovascular portion down, as she can run all day. Perhaps Martina will work with her on additional fitness techniques that implement well with tennis.

Also, Martina N knew how to win. She knew how to make the most of her talents. These translate well from player to player, and the style is irrelevant.

I also don't see what it matters that their styles are different. What, will Navratilova teach Wozniacki how to hit a volley? At this level, coaches are not about grips and strokes, they are about playing styles, aggression, and the mental aspect. Do you think Federer's coach is trying to get him to switch to a 2 handed backhand? No, but his coach IS working with him on how best to win. Same with a coach for Wozniacki.

Ronaldo
04-25-2011, 10:11 AM
What was the purpose of running the morning before the final yesterday? Routine?

baseliner
04-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Can't hurt. Will benefit from mental toughness, tactics and possible strength training.

Fifth Set
04-25-2011, 10:23 AM
It's a decent idea to get some more professional input but if I'm Caroline I would be just as concerned that all of these second guessers would just screw everything up.

This gal has almost 10,000 rankings points! It will take alot for someone to unseat her and she will probably win a slam playing exactly the way she has.

I love this week's "it girl," Julia Goerges, as much as the next guy, but her go for broke game got her 6 losses in a 9 match span just a couple months ago.

As long as the rankings reward playing alot (which we as fans should welcome, no?) and Caro doesn't let all these arm chair quarterbacks convince her that she sucks, Caro will be a force for many years.

skiracer55
04-25-2011, 10:36 AM
OK that whole Caroline Hingis Vicario isn't funny when Mother Marjorie does it, and isn't funny when copycats try it. :)

As for Wozniacki, sure, Navratilova makes good sense. Navratilova was the true queen of fitness. Wozniacki plays a game that requires fitness. She clearly has the cardiovascular portion down, as she can run all day. Perhaps Martina will work with her on additional fitness techniques that implement well with tennis.

Also, Martina N knew how to win. She knew how to make the most of her talents. These translate well from player to player, and the style is irrelevant.

I also don't see what it matters that their styles are different. What, will Navratilova teach Wozniacki how to hit a volley? At this level, coaches are not about grips and strokes, they are about playing styles, aggression, and the mental aspect. Do you think Federer's coach is trying to get him to switch to a 2 handed backhand? No, but his coach IS working with him on how best to win. Same with a coach for Wozniacki.

...the biggest thing Martina can help with is the fact that Martina has been there (won Slams) and Wozniacki has not. I don't think Caroline is that far away from winning a slam, and, yeah, she can probably do it in the next 4 or 5 years by just doing what she's doing...but why wait? There's no guarantee that Martina can help her turn the corner faster, but why not? And given the amount of money that Caroline has already won, plus her endorsements, $300,000 is chump change...

jones101
04-25-2011, 11:01 AM

I will refer to her as I please, I am not being derogitory with it. Hingis is her alltime favourite player so her style obviously has touches of Hingis through it!

I cant seem Team Wozniacki spending all that money for fitness tips, she plays almost every event and is the fittest on the circuit IMO.

I do think you are right that she can help with tactical/mental aspects but their approaches to the game are different so it would be interesting what the results would be. Im actually really hoping this goes through, hopefully she can add another dimesion to Caroline Hingis' game.

Ronaldo
04-25-2011, 11:02 AM
It's a decent idea to get some more professional input but if I'm Caroline I would be just as concerned that all of these second guessers would just screw everything up.

This gal has almost 10,000 rankings points! It will take alot for someone to unseat her and she will probably win a slam playing exactly the way she has.

I love this week's "it girl," Julia Goerges, as much as the next guy, but her go for broke game got her 6 losses in a 9 match span just a couple months ago.

As long as the rankings reward playing alot (which we as fans should welcome, no?) and Caro doesn't let all these arm chair quarterbacks convince her that she sucks, Caro will be a force for many years.

Jankovic tried adding more pop to her game and never seemed to recover.

sureshs
04-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Martina's style is so different that I don't know what tips she can give her. She was routed in WTT singles matches when she came back after retirement.

hoosierbr
04-25-2011, 09:34 PM
Not sure Martina or any coach for that matter is worth $300K but I'm sure she'd bring a lot of good ideas to the table.

1970CRBase
04-25-2011, 09:42 PM
I'd suggest Hingis herself as a coach for Woz + they play doubles together in regular events and Slams.

Devilito
04-25-2011, 09:45 PM
Martina's style is so different that I don't know what tips she can give her. She was routed in WTT singles matches when she came back after retirement.
LMFAO, what can Navratilova teach Wozniacki????

Navratilova = 18 singles slams, 31 doubles slams, 10 mixed slams
Wozniacki = BIG FAT ZERO, NOTHING, ZILCH

do you require any further clarification?

dirtballer
04-26-2011, 04:39 AM
Martina had one of the best backhand volleys ever. The two handed backhand volley that Caroline uses just doesn't cut it. She can bunt the ball into an open court but that is all. If Martina can make Caroline's volley into a weapon, she's earned her money.

sureshs
04-26-2011, 07:25 AM

Yes. Martina's style of play doesn't translate to the modern game. Balls are hit much harder and S&V doesn't work. One handed backhand is also a liability. Her achievements are not very relevant unless she is a mental coach.

Terre Battu
04-26-2011, 08:11 AM
Their games might be different but I think MN has played enough pushers/counter punchers to give Woz a lot of tactical insights.

As an adviser, you don't have to mirror your student's game. You just have to know how the game is played. Keep in mind that MN was helping out Kuzzie when she won her first and only US Open slam.

At this point in the game, it's all psychological for Woz. $300k is a small chunk of change.

Fifth Set
04-26-2011, 09:12 AM
Martina had one of the best backhand volleys ever. The two handed backhand volley that Caroline uses just doesn't cut it. She can bunt the ball into an open court but that is all. If Martina can make Caroline's volley into a weapon, she's earned her money.

+1 There are a couple technical weaknesses in Caro's game that, if improved, could make a difference. In addition to her clumsy volley, she doesn't have her full weight moving forward on her forehand drive.

sureshs
04-26-2011, 09:21 AM
Martina finds Caroline to be very cute.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Devilito
04-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Yes. Martina's style of play doesn't translate to the modern game. Balls are hit much harder and S&V doesn't work. One handed backhand is also a liability. Her achievements are not very relevant unless she is a mental coach.
Do you have any idea of what a coach of a top ranked ATP player does? They’re not going to start working on stroke mechanics or serve and volley for a baseline grinder. Do you think Martina is stupid? ATP pros learn their game when they’re juniors. At this point it’s about strategy and mental aspects.

Martina finds Caroline to be very cute.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Wow a lesbian joke. How predictable and unfunny.

Bhagi Katbamna
04-26-2011, 11:07 AM
IMO, Wozniacki lacks the one big weapon to win a slam. If Martina can help with that, great, it would be worth $300Ks.

Gaudio2004
04-26-2011, 11:10 AM
Certainly Navratilova has the technical ability, the experience and the "nous" required to coach Wozniacki; but does Wozniacki have the talent to implement the changes?

That's the question, if so, she'll be even better.

sureshs
04-26-2011, 11:29 AM
Do you have any idea of what a coach of a top ranked ATP player does? They’re not going to start working on stroke mechanics or serve and volley for a baseline grinder. Do you think Martina is stupid? ATP pros learn their game when they’re juniors. At this point it’s about strategy and mental aspects.

Wozzy is not an ATP pro.

Relax, I was just kidding.

Martina can help out in the strategy part. Her observations during the Slams when she commentates for TC are very astute.

Though it is a different matter that even I can beat her in singles now.

Relax, just kidding.

Devilito
04-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Wozzy is not an ATP pro.

Relax, I was just kidding.

my mistake insulting the ATP like that

Relax, just kidding :p

sureshs
04-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Seriously, I think I can beat Martina in singles now. Doubles is different as she employs a lot of strategy.

Pozarevacka
04-26-2011, 11:52 AM
there's only one thing I can think of that Martina can teach Woz

sureshs
04-26-2011, 11:54 AM
there's only one thing I can think of that Martina can teach Woz

LOL.........................

Volley?

li0scc0
04-26-2011, 12:33 PM

This is a great post.
And a very true one.
Look. If, at the beginning of any tournament, you had to put $100 on a player to make the semifinal, who would it be? Wozniacki. Every time. And you would win, almost every time.
Why? Because she is consistent. Sure, Goerges beat her. And later this year, Goerges will lose 2 or 3 straight tournaments in the first round. Wozniacki will make the semifinals, finals, or win those tournaments. Different playing styles.
If Wozniacki can KEEP her style and DEVELOP a bit more 'oomph', it will serve her well. If Navratilova can help with that, great. If any coach/advisor tries to revolutionize her game, then that would be stupid. She is already #1 in the rankings. It isn't like we have a talented player who is ranked 98th and needs help. She already is an accomplished player.

cknobman
04-26-2011, 12:48 PM
So is Martina going to teach Wozzi the benefit of tacos over sausage?

TennezSport
04-26-2011, 12:48 PM
If Wozniacki can KEEP her style and DEVELOP a bit more 'oomph', it will serve her well. If Navratilova can help with that, great. If any coach/advisor tries to revolutionize her game, then that would be stupid. She is already #1 in the rankings. It isn't like we have a talented player who is ranked 98th and needs help. She already is an accomplished player.

At this point and level I do not think that MN will change anything that Woz already does well. I believe that it would be her goal to improve what Woz does not do well and instill a higher level of confidence in her overall game.

MN can def improve Wozs volley and to know when and where to volley on various surfaces. MN can also help her to better deal with tight situations along with improving her physical abilities, which can all come together to make Woz a tactically better player. Question is how well will Woz absorb and execute the lessons; time will tell.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

klu375
04-26-2011, 01:06 PM
At this point and level I do not think that MN will change anything that Woz already does well. I believe that it would be her goal to improve what Woz does not do well and instill a higher level of confidence in her overall game.

MN can def improve Wozs volley and to know when and where to volley on various surfaces. MN can also help her to better deal with tight situations along with improving her physical abilities, which can all come together to make Woz a tactically better player. Question is how well will Woz absorb and execute the lessons; time will tell.

Actually MN should teach Woz backhand slice, preferably one-handed. If Woz had this shot she would win the match last Sunday. JG does not handle low balls too well.

AlpineAce
04-26-2011, 01:17 PM
im sorry but I find it laughable, to use a player who thinks "rpm blast should be outlawed, especially since its not that great of a string.

Heracles
04-26-2011, 02:10 PM
Matrina may allow Wozniacki to pay her in another mean than dollars :lol:

TennezSport
04-26-2011, 02:40 PM
Actually MN should teach Woz backhand slice, preferably one-handed. If Woz had this shot she would win the match last Sunday. JG does not handle low balls too well.

Yes good point, I left that out and that would improve her games quite a bit adding another level of versitility.

cc0509
04-26-2011, 02:47 PM
This story comes from Wozniacki's Dad herself, Piotr.

Apparaently Martina does not come cheap, it will cost $300, 000 for her services.
http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/news.aspx?articleid=11630&zoneid=25

What effect, if any, do you think this will have on her game? Can she elevate her game. I personally cant see Caroline-Hingis serve n volleying at all, it is just not her game, and she slices with a 2HB so thats different too. Mentally, she could be of enormous help at the slams. Gamewise however, I dont see it.

Sanchez Vicario or Conchita Martinez would be better in that regard.

$300,000 does not sound like that much to me to coach a top player. Wasn't Connors asking for $700,000 to coach Murray (or am I thinking about something else I read?) I am sure Paul Annacone gets a lot more than $300,000 for coaching Federer. $300,000 is small time relative to what these top players earn.

TennezSport
04-26-2011, 02:47 PM
im sorry but I find it laughable, to use a player who thinks "rpm blast should be outlawed, especially since its not that great of a string.

Are you quoting MN or saying it's not a great string for yourself??? RPM is a great string for who it was designed for. This string was specifically designed for Pro players and plays great for their requirements as they string every day. Durable to a pro is to last a match, durable to a rec player in a totally different animal.

If you are saying that MN stated this will so did Courier and Agassi as they thought it gave you an unfair advantage with all of the spin you could generate; much like speghetti string once did. Agassi said poly should be outlawed or everyone would have to use it. Guess the second part of that statement won out.

This in no way takes away from MN experience, achievements or physical knowledge that she can pass along to someone interested in getting better.

AlpineAce
04-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Are you quoting MN or saying it's not a great string for yourself??? RPM is a great string for who it was designed for. This string was specifically designed for Pro players and plays great for their requirements as they string every day. Durable to a pro is to last a match, durable to a rec player in a totally different animal.

If you are saying that MN stated this will so did Courier and Agassi as they thought it gave you an unfair advantage with all of the spin you could generate; much like speghetti string once did. Agassi said poly should be outlawed ot everyone would have to use it. Guess the second part of that statement won out.

This in no way takes away from MN experience, achievements or physical knowledge that she can pass along to someone interested in getting better.

Not poly in general, but RPM.

NLBwell
04-26-2011, 08:20 PM
Martina is a very smart tennis player and I'm sure will help Wozniaki. A person who might be more applicable to what Wozniaki needs would be Chris Evert, who later in her career upped the aggresiveness of her game to compete with Martina. How she did that would be directly applicable.

jones101
04-26-2011, 10:41 PM
$300,000 does not sound like that much to me to coach a top player. Wasn't Connors asking for $700,000 to coach Murray (or am I thinking about something else I read?) I am sure Paul Annacone gets a lot more than $300,000 for coaching Federer. $300,000 is small time relative to what these top players earn.

I have no clue how much coaching fees are - interesting

Bloodshed
04-27-2011, 01:32 AM
So is Martina going to teach Wozzi the benefit of tacos over sausage?

Why would Wozniacki prefers Bloody vjj seafood tacos over the power of Bratwurst sausages? Damn that Navratilova :):twisted:

gpt
04-27-2011, 02:05 AM
Any professional athlete would be stupid to not consider any options available to obtain a competitive edge.
I congratulate Wozniaki for exploring all opportunities that can help her lick the opposition.

Pozarevacka
04-27-2011, 06:26 AM
LOL.........................

Volley?

no......... to eat p ussy

jones101
04-27-2011, 10:47 AM
Any professional athlete would be stupid to not consider any options available to obtain a competitive edge.
I congratulate Wozniaki for exploring all opportunities that can help her lick the opposition.

http://images.mylot.com/userImages/images/postphotos/2462581.jpg

sureshs
04-27-2011, 10:56 AM
http://images.mylot.com/userImages/images/postphotos/2462581.jpg

Very funny actually

AkilKB
04-27-2011, 01:44 PM
no......... to eat p ussy

:lol::lol::lol::lol:LMAO

jerriy
04-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Martina's style is so different that I don't know what tips she can give her. Obviously you haven't seen Wozniacki at the net before where she tends to sometime make the kind of mistakes that a world #1 ought not make

sureshs
04-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Obviously you haven't seen Wozniacki at the net before where she tends to sometime make the kind of mistakes that a world #1 ought not make

Does she really need Martina for that? Don't you think any competent coach will do for this purpose?

THUNDERVOLLEY
04-27-2011, 02:16 PM

It is not just a matter of majors won, or how she won them. For example, Connors tried coaching Roddick, but Connors--for all of his legendary talent and experience at the top of the sport had an approach to tennis that was so different than Roddick, that the end result of their relationship was just as it started: Roddick failing to win another major. That said, Wozniacki working with Martina seems like a strange fit, as their basic philosophy on playing the game are worlds apart.

Spin Doctor
04-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Oh gee. The lesbian jokes in here are just sooo funny...if you have the mental age of a 12 year old or if you're a bigoted hillbilly redneck jerkwad.

But for the rest of us its not funny. So just keep your immature ******baggery to yourselves, okay?

jerriy
04-27-2011, 10:09 PM
^ Why? What if Navratilova hits on Wozniacki, it woudn't be out of line. They're both Europeans.

And although young, Wozniacki is an adult and a mature one at that (so it's not like Navratilova is "pulling a Conchita" and banging fresh tennis meat

AlpineAce
04-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Oh gee. The lesbian jokes in here are just sooo funny...if you have the mental age of a 12 year old or if you're a bigoted hillbilly redneck jerkwad.

But for the rest of us its not funny. So just keep your immature ******baggery to yourselves, okay?

Oh here come the liberals!!! You're so right dude, its not funny, not funny at all, NOBODY LAUGH!
STOP IT!!!!

I SAID STOP!!!!

AtomicForehand
04-28-2011, 03:44 AM
No one *is* actually laughing.

eliza
04-28-2011, 06:45 AM

I get the same at my club, every time I mention how fond of Martina I am. She must be truly intimidating to some men.
BTW, Schiavone worked with Martina, and she won RG.
WOW, 300??? Good for her.

Murrayfan31
04-28-2011, 06:50 AM
The real question is will Martina convert Wozniacki? :D I know Martina will try. lol

sureshs
04-28-2011, 07:17 AM
^ Why? What if Navratilova hits on Wozniacki, it woudn't be out of line. They're both Europeans.

And although young, Wozniacki is an adult and a mature one at that (so it's not like Navratilova is "pulling a Conchita" and banging fresh tennis meat

They might get married

DjokerIsTheBest
04-28-2011, 08:09 AM
The real question is will Martina convert Wozniacki? :D I know Martina will try. lol

Can't blame her. Woz looks exceptionally salty :)

sureshs
04-28-2011, 08:55 AM
I get the same at my club, every time I mention how fond of Martina I am. She must be truly intimidating to some men.

Men are afraid of people like her because they think they will become redundant or at most replaced by sperm banks.

AlpineAce
04-28-2011, 08:59 AM
No one *is* actually laughing.

that depends on what the definition of "is" is.

eliza
04-28-2011, 09:30 AM

As far as I know Martina is an American citizen, and lived in the US since she was 18.
And your base comment is disgusting.

bad_call
04-28-2011, 10:22 AM
dang $300K...what are the terms, etc for that amount?

oy vey
04-28-2011, 05:53 PM
[QUOTE=jones101;5598722]This story comes from Wozniacki's Dad herself, Piotr.

It is obviously not cheap—the price to hire her may well reach about $300,000 and we’ll have to pay out of out own pockets

How much is Woz making, come on cheapskate Piotr, pony up!

Subventricular Zone
04-28-2011, 06:22 PM

This. It doesn't automatically mean that she will win a GS though.

However, if/when she wins one, her endorsements will definitely shoot through the roof and 300K will seem like mere peanuts.

gpt
04-29-2011, 12:45 AM

Hello eliza. I think some women would find her intimidating also. She is an inspiration and she really raised the level of dedication and professionalism in women's tennis. I too am very fond of Martina.
She is a winner and she is a great example for any athlete. I think Wozniacki would benefit from Martina's mindset.

eliza
04-29-2011, 04:08 AM
Hello eliza. I think some women would find her intimidating also. She is an inspiration and she really raised the level of dedication and professionalism in women's tennis. I too am very fond of Martina.
She is a winner and she is a great example for any athlete. I think Wozniacki would benefit from Martina's mindset.

Everybody would, males and females.

gpt
04-29-2011, 04:11 AM
Everybody would, males and females.

yes, agreed!

Sentinel
04-29-2011, 05:00 AM
Does she really need Martina for that? Don't you think any competent coach will do for this purpose?
Martina will help Caroline to scale higher heights. She will become a "higher level player".

jerriy
04-29-2011, 05:24 AM
As far as I know Martina is an American citizen, and lived in the US since she was 18.Irrelevant

Real citizenship is not the same thing as "WTA citizenship". Martina never relinquished her Czech identity. It was the commies who "banned" her. In fact she got a fresh new passport when Czechoslovakia (the country she left) was wiped off the map and replaced by the current state.

In other words Navratilova is a dual citizen.

And your base comment is disgusting.Sorry, mademoiselle. I forgot to keep in mind that there are ladies in the (TW)room

MotherMarjorie
04-30-2011, 07:46 AM
I'd suggest Hingis herself as a coach for Woz + they play doubles together in regular events and Slams.
Uh, that's probably what got Caroline Hingis-Vicario in the position she's in. Good idea? Not so much. Hingis could never figure out how to overcome Big Babe Tennis. How much help could she be to CH-V in this instance?

Mother Marjorie Ann
Empress of Talk Tennis Warehouse

MotherMarjorie
04-30-2011, 07:56 AM
There are only three areas of which Martina Navratilova could possibly help Caroline Hingis-Vicario's game, given Caroline's poor potential in winning grand slam singles events:

#1: Being more aggressive. There is no other player in women's tennis history who was more aggressive on a tennis court besides Martina Navratilova.

#2: How to win a grand slam singles title after 20. Martina Navratilova didn't win her first grand slam singles title until she was in her 20's, so perhaps Papa CH-V wants to tap into Martina's late career run for his daughter, since she wasn't able to strike in her teens....

#3: Technical Volley's: CH-V needs major help in the volleying department and who better to help CH-V look less awkward with her backhand volleys than Martina Navratilova.

You Asked For It, You Got It,

Mother Marjorie Ann
Empress Talk Tennis Warehouse

jones101
04-30-2011, 08:33 AM
There are only three areas of which Martina Navratilova could possibly help Caroline Hingis-Vicario's game, given Caroline's poor potential in winning grand slam singles events:

#1: Being more aggressive. There is no other player in women's tennis history who was more aggressive on a tennis court besides Martina Navratilova.

#2: How to win a grand slam singles title after 20. Martina Navratilova didn't win her first grand slam singles title until she was in her 20's, so perhaps Papa CH-V wants to tap into Martina's late career run for his daughter, since she wasn't able to strike in her teens....

#3: Technical Volley's: CH-V needs major help in the volleying department and who better to help CH-V look less awkward with her backhand volleys than Martina Navratilova.

You Asked For It, You Got It,

Mother Marjorie Ann
Empress Talk Tennis Warehouse

And the backhand slice too, its fugly.

sureshs
04-30-2011, 09:02 AM
Martina will help Caroline to scale higher heights. She will become a "higher level player".

LOL.................

Forehand Avenger
04-30-2011, 09:16 AM
Wrong. She will become a mountaineer.

Ronaldo
04-30-2011, 11:31 AM
Wrong. She will become a mountaineer.

Mountaineering has not worked out for any tennis player lately.

Mick
04-30-2011, 11:57 AM
probably a good move but at the end of the day, the wozniacki still has to play and win the matches, despite of whoever is coaching her. she is number 1 so any more improvement is a bonus.

Sid_Vicious
04-30-2011, 12:01 PM
It is not just a matter of majors won, or how she won them. For example, Connors tried coaching Roddick, but Connors--for all of his legendary talent and experience at the top of the sport had an approach to tennis that was so different than Roddick, that the end result of their relationship was just as it started: Roddick failing to win another major. That said, Wozniacki working with Martina seems like a strange fit, as their basic philosophy on playing the game are worlds apart.
Even though Roddick did not win another major, working with Connors tremendously improved his game. Roddick reached a low at Wimbledon 2006 after getting straight setted by Murray and dropping out of the top 10. Once he started working with Connors, he drastically improved his game and won cincy and reached the USO final. So, Connors definitely had something to offer to Roddick.